Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Waffle! posted:

That's Boss Rush, and yes. It's almost every boss. If you have good items and some flies or buddies for support, you can do it.
That's mental. I'm guessing the reward for it must be something good then.

The only thing I really had was poison tears. No buddies except a bum who stole all the money before I could get it. I wish items would replenish after each boss wave. I had Anarchist's Cookbook which would have made it a hell of a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hard is barely different than normal for the Lost. I think the only difference since you can't use hearts anyway is that there are more champion enemies?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Stokes posted:

Wanna start this post off by saying Eve stinks on ice. To end on a positive note I picked up the 3 dollar bill and it gave me scythes before having them unlocked. That was cool.

I think Eve is really good now that her Whore of Babylon effect activates at one heart. There's tons of tinted rocks on early floors so once you get the spirit heart drops just lower your HP to one and steamroll the game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Eve has always been good, now she's really good(provided you're playing the proper way aka sacrificing all your red HP for damage)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Watching http://www.twitch.tv/cobaltstreak do this was pretty great, so many deaths. Those burrowing dudes in Utero/Womb are fuckers.

Bosh rush happens if you beat the Mom in half an hour, I think.

20 minutes.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

RatHat posted:

Hard is barely different than normal for the Lost. I think the only difference since you can't use hearts anyway is that there are more champion enemies?

you also get less key drops so sometimes you get a run where you aren't able to open any item rooms until the depths. You usually don't get hosed that hard but it's really not uncommon to not be able able to get the item room on basement/cellar II due to keys not dropping.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
God drat what a frustrating run. ZERO damage increased. Not a single one. I was reliant on daddy longlegs and taurus for my damage...and then I made the mistake of picking up Dr Fetus. God drat is that thing garbage until you've got some damage up. I swear I would have way better off with regular tears.

The worst thing is I'm pretty sure I almost killed Mega Satan with that, thanks to lots of HP ups, guppy's paw, guppy himself and 3x orbitals to protect me.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Kifisonfire posted:

Last time I beat it I got Mom's Bra. :shepicide:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

RatHat posted:

when i did hard i got 1 key before sheol. i'd say that is different

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I didn't realize for my first 30+ runs that I had it set to Hard and was complaining in Steam chat that Rebirth was kicking my rear end compared to O.B.

Since dropping the difficulty to normal my career has been much more successful.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I just had an amazing ??? run. By the time I got to The Womb I had gotten Brimstone, Whore of Babylon, Lord of the Pit, and Lump of Coal, in addition to a couple of damage ups and about max sin hearts from using the Satanic Bible. When the RNG wants you to win it wants you to win.

Davincie posted:

when i did hard i got 1 key before sheol. i'd say that is different

The lack of drops on Hard is something I really like as a good + interesting way of making it harder as opposed to something like enemy damage being multiplied.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kifisonfire posted:

No, you just get an item.

Boss Rush really isn't that hard, though. If you managed to kill Mom in under 20 minutes without Bible bashing you'll have the loadout to handle it. You can practice the waves in the Slow Roll challenge, where you're granted a loadout that will certainly get you to the Boss Rush if you don't dick around.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Genocyber posted:

I just had an amazing ??? run. By the time I got to The Womb I had gotten Brimstone, Whore of Babylon, Lord of the Pit, and Lump of Coal, in addition to a couple of damage ups and about max sin hearts from using the Satanic Bible. When the RNG wants you to win it wants you to win.

The lack of drops on Hard is something I really like as a good + interesting way of making it harder as opposed to something like enemy damage being multiplied.

yes, i too enjoy being locked out of opportunities by the rng

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kifisonfire posted:

The only thing I really had was poison tears. No buddies except a bum who stole all the money before I could get it. I wish items would replenish after each boss wave. I had Anarchist's Cookbook which would have made it a hell of a lot easier.

In run, it's 2 more items to beef up your build.

Out of run, each character has their own unlock for beating the boss rush.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Genocyber posted:

I don't find this to be either good or interesting, it usually just forces me to restart on Basement 2 for lack of keys to open the item room more frequently.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

Watching http://www.twitch.tv/cobaltstreak do this was pretty great, so many deaths. Those burrowing dudes in Utero/Womb are fuckers.

Bosh rush happens if you beat the Mom in half an hour, I think.

Gotta kill Mom in under 20 minutes. Also, if you leave the boss rush room and the timer ticks over the 200 minute mark you can't go back in. If you have a teleport you can take an item and leave the room without fighting the bosses, but they do drop something once you kill them all so it's worth trying for. So long as you're super powerful or there's a really good item on offer, anyway.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Screw the haters, I love the Cellar.

Mainly for the music. It sounds like Metroid Prime. :allears:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tollymain posted:

yes, i too enjoy being locked out of opportunities by the rng

Basically this. I don't mind the item drops being stingier or harder to come by, forcing smart play but it feels really lovely just how bad the drop rate is sometimes.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The cellar's music is awesome, and definitely reminds me of metroid, but doesn't excuse the fact that the very first room you walk into could have 15 spiders in it and also three giant spiders that constantly poop out more spiders and also they are bombs. It's too hard for the first level.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 17, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I don't find this to be either good or interesting, it usually just forces me to restart on Basement 2 for lack of keys to open the item room more frequently.

This does get pretty frustrating, yeah. I've basically started looking at hard mode runs like they're runs of the Purist challenge where I sometimes get lucky and get keys that let me get extra stuff. I have, however, completed more than one hard mode run where I got zero keys at all for the first six floors. Those are the runs where you really need to protect your devil deals and hope you get some good stuff in there.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Having flight and spectral tears makes the boss rush a joke, Azazel can clear it easilywith the starting load out just hovering over rocks.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

First level: Ipecac. Second level: Polyphemus.

After that it was all just gravy. One of the most fun runs I've ever had. Add on whatever it is item that causes Splash Damage and I could basically clear a room in one or two shots. Ended up with some crazy collection of items including Holy Grail, Wafer, Humbling Bundle and Dark Buddy (who was just popping out Soul Hearts at an astonishing rate.)

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 17, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Guys which one should I pick?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Ignite Memories posted:

All of them :getin:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That would kill me. I might actually accomplish something this run! this is important.

I NEED THAT D6

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
Is there any way to force the scaling ratio? I wanted to play this fullscreen but beyond a certain point it switches to 3x and it's way too zoomed in for my screen.

Ignite Memories posted:

That would kill me. I might actually accomplish something this run! this is important.

I NEED THAT D6

Not if any of them give you black hearts!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Take none of them and hope for a better deal/god room later.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Or you could not be a big baby and continue on with what you got.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
So what happens when I'm doing a challenge run, beat the requisite boss, but am given the option to continue? Like, I just beat Mom as the tank, can I go down and not risk losing everything?

-edit-
Posted before even checking to see if the devil room would go down. It didn't. Nevermind!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Ignite Memories posted:

None of them.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

So be it, 13/f/cali. So be it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ignite Memories posted:

All of them, hope you get Dead cat or Guppy's collar so you don't die.

Makaris posted:

So what happens when I'm doing a challenge run, beat the requisite boss, but am given the option to continue? Like, I just beat Mom as the tank, can I go down and not risk losing everything?

Nope. For Challenges you gotta touch the trophy for the item to unlock.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ignite Memories posted:

The cellar's music is awesome, and definitely reminds me of metroid, but doesn't excuse the fact that the very first room you walk into could have 15 spiders in it and also three giant spiders that constantly poop out more spiders and also they are bombs. It's too hard for the first level.
Spiders ain't that tough once you get the timing down on their rushes. The only ones that give me trouble are the tall ones that run away from you.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Wow, Daddy Longlegs is a jerk this time around. Did he get retooled? I don't remember having trouble with him before.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Genocyber posted:

Or you could not be a big baby and continue on with what you got.

lol is every post you make some variation of "git gud"?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The double adversary rooms in the chest and the dark room are total run killing bullshit. I'd rather have a random mega satan room.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I genuinely wouldn't be able to stop myself from taking one of those chests.

Rocketlex posted:

Wow, Daddy Longlegs is a jerk this time around. Did he get retooled? I don't remember having trouble with him before.

I like that you can have daddy longlegs as an assist and he can crush himself to death in that fight.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Spiders ain't that tough once you get the timing down on their rushes. The only ones that give me trouble are the tall ones that run away from you.

they're not tough, they just take way too long to deal with on the first floor when you have barely any tear upgrades. i'd gladly deal with a bullet hell room over those fidgety motherfuckers.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tracula posted:

lol is every post you make some variation of "git gud"?

I'm not saying to "git gud," I'm saying to not be a big baby and quit when the RNG in a game based on random generation deals you a bad hand. Otherwise there's no point in playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

AHungryRobot posted:

they're not tough, they just take way too long to deal with on the first floor when you have barely any tear upgrades. i'd gladly deal with a bullet hell room over those fidgety motherfuckers.

We're talking about taking red heart damage on early floors though.

Saw this on twitter just now:

seriously why does that room exist