Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People talk about taking devil deals all the time but am I alone in thinking the items aren't worth it most of the time? I mean yeah you've got some great ones like brimstone and dark bum but there's also a bunch of pretty mediocre stuff I feel iffy about spending my health on. Plus if you take a devil room item you're locked out of angel rooms, which give a lot of amazing items for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

Saw this on twitter just now:

seriously why does that room exist

That's loving hilarious

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Does anyone have the loss.jpg fancomic that details how to unlock The Loss?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I'm not saying to "git gud," I'm saying to not be a big baby and quit when the RNG in a game based on random generation deals you a bad hand. Otherwise there's no point in playing.

sure there is. some people like the rngness of it, others just want to use fun combinations.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Well...I'm still not sure how I managed it but I got through Purist on the first try, then Pitch Black as well.

Then I died two rooms before Mom on Cat Got Your Tongue.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Turns out all you need to trivialize Suicide King is Whip Worm, Guppy's Head, and Dark Bum. I mean sure that's enough to trivialize most runs but hell it worked.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
edit: Wrong thread!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

IronicDongz posted:

Saw this on twitter just now:

seriously why does that room exist

I really don't get it. There are multiple ways that one room can render your game unwinnable. I needs an edit in a patch at some point.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Internet Kraken posted:

People talk about taking devil deals all the time but am I alone in thinking the items aren't worth it most of the time? I mean yeah you've got some great ones like brimstone and dark bum but there's also a bunch of pretty mediocre stuff I feel iffy about spending my health on. Plus if you take a devil room item you're locked out of angel rooms, which give a lot of amazing items for free.
I was gonna say that it's mostly worth it but when I looked over the whole list it's more split than I thought.

Items that are basically always worth it in devil rooms:
-Abbadon
-Brimstone
-Ceremonial Robes
-Dark Bum
-Dark Matter
-Death's Touch
-Gimpy
-Goat head(unless you have only a few floors left)
-Lil Brimstone
-Lord of the Pit(unless you have flying)
-Mom's Knife
-Pentagram
-Rotten Baby
-Spirit of the Night(unless you have flying)
-The Mark(literally always)
-The Pact(literally always)

Items that are situationally worth it:
-Demon Baby
-Nine Lives
-Guppy's Collar/Tail/Paw
-Whore of Babylon
-Book of Belail
-Satanic Bible
-Razor Blade
-Juda's Shadow

Items that are generally not worth it:
-Brother Bobby
-Sister Maggy
-Ghost Baby
-Headless Baby
-Missing Page
-Guppy's Hairball
-Contract from Below

So,(in my opinion obviously) it's a 16/8/7 or roughly 50%/25%/25% split between Really Good, Situational, and Pretty Bad. Other people might value guppy items higher and robes lower but I think for most people it'll come out something like that because damage is really important and plain shooting familiars are really bad.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Contract from Below as not worth it? What?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

RatHat posted:

Contract from Below as not worth it? What?

I was gonna say the same thing. And if you manage to get a Humbling Bundle then it's even more insane.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That might belong more in situational but I've never noticed much of a difference between having it and not having it, honestly. Maybe I just need to try it more.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Normal throws spirit hearts at you like halloween candy so when I'm playing that I play pretty loose with Devil Deals. Angel rooms are a little better in this but still substantially worse overall than devil deals since they have less damage items floating around.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

pandaK posted:

Does anyone have the loss.jpg fancomic that details how to unlock The Loss?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

IronicDongz posted:

Items that are generally not worth it:
-Contract from Below

That's dumb. Contract from Below is worth the heart every single drat time, unless you're already in the Womb or something. Double drops own, and the downside of fighting more double trouble bosses is nothing compared to the upside.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Is it just me or does being invulnerable allow you to take soul heart devil deals without losing anything?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Its bs that there is no reward for no hitting the cathedral, cause i just did that and it feels good man

Also an fyi to those wondering, killing 3 angels gives no reward either

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church

VDay posted:

The Axe is pretty decent if you have flight because it lets you destroy rocks in the early levels without making you do it in the womb, where they often hurt you, and lets you retain the ability to hide from melee mobs by flying over rocks. Something like Leo actually hurts if you also have flying because you're suddenly smashing everything and your flight advantage goes away unless the room has some pits on the edges.

You can actually open secret rooms with the axe, too. I don't mind it as much because of how useful destroying rocks/mushrooms/skulls are in this game. I almost get magic mushroom every game because I constantly blow up mushrooms.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Genocyber posted:

I'm not saying to "git gud," I'm saying to not be a big baby and quit when the RNG in a game based on random generation deals you a bad hand. Otherwise there's no point in playing.

I'm not quitting, I'm re-rolling the RNG for a better hand. gently caress, it's not even a better hand. Getting no key drops is like being dealt no cards in the first place. Like, I can't work with that. I'd rather just shitcan the run and try again.

also lol at this "if you don't play the game my way why are you even playing the game" logic. It's a game based on random generation sure but normally that just means a great variety of things to see and do, said randomness can and will just gently caress you sometimes. I'm not even mad when it does this, it's the nature of the beast, just try again and go for a better roll this time.

the reason why I dislike hard mode is it just makes it more likely for the rng to work against you in the most boring way possible by just denying you the opportunity to powerup. That just isn't interesting.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 17, 2014

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
magic mushroom seems way better than it used to be. two ticks of damage and a heart container? pretty hard to beat that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nurge posted:

Is it just me or does being invulnerable allow you to take soul heart devil deals without losing anything?

I haven't tried that but I wouldn't be surprised.

Credit Card does work to remove the cost of all deals though.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hot diggity damnit, I did it! That was the run! And the best part is, the thing that won me the run was the sacred loving heart I got on the depths I god room.

gently caress yeah. D6 fo life.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've been doing the challenges and it's like the game is making fun of me by giving me a ton of keys when there's no treasure rooms. But of course on regular runs I can't find a key to save my life.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

God drat Sheol is nerve wracking going through with three health. I usually have a soul/evil heart battery going by then, this time I was stuck with a tiny amount of red hearts for most of the game. I had a Sun card, though I didn't end up needing it. Mom's Knife powered me through Satan's final form quick enough that I didn't get blown up. Oh well, that's one more challenge down in one try. I kept dying on It Lives during Solar System though and I'm scared to start it again. :ohdear: It's apparently impossible to get a good seed during that challenge.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Any rewards for killing whatevers behind the big golden door?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Had ipcac, picked up Libra from clearing the boss rush, all of a sudden I'm machine-gunning explosive shots all over the place. It was basically uncontrollable. Died pretty quickly after that.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Davincie posted:

Any rewards for killing whatevers behind the big golden door?

You unlock an ending but otherwise no. Necessary for full completion but you only ever have to do it once.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How is Abaddon always worth it? It replaces your entire health bar with 6 black hearts. That might be good for some chareacters but on any character that has gotten a decent amount of HP ups its garbage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Red hearts are worse than evil/soul hearts. If you have the HP to spare, buy the other devil deals first.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

13/f/cali posted:

You unlock an ending but otherwise no. Necessary for full completion but you only ever have to do it once.

Thanks, also any of you pc people know if you've done the requirements for unlocking an item/trophy and its bugged if it will unlock when patching? Still no ps4 patch

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
My biggest problem with Lazarus is how a bunch of upgrades are straight-up nullified by him. I found Ipacac for the first time today, but I was Lazarus so I didn't get to play with it.

EDIT: Lazarus + Ipacac should create an explosion at the point where his beam ends.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

How is Abaddon always worth it? It replaces your entire health bar with 6 black hearts. That might be good for some chareacters but on any character that has gotten a decent amount of HP ups its garbage.

Because it also gives a damage boost and fear shot, which are super useful.

Also goddamnit, I started as Eve for Whore of Babylon but the game keeps throwing HP ups and no Devil Rooms at me. C'mon game.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rocketlex posted:

My biggest problem with Lazarus is how a bunch of upgrades are straight-up nullified by him. I found Ipacac for the first time today, but I was Lazarus so I didn't get to play with it.

EDIT: Lazarus + Ipacac should create an explosion at the point where his beam ends.

You mean Azazel, right? Lazarus is just Isaac with a free pill, an extra life and finely combed hair. Azazel's the flying demon baby with a mini-brimstone.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Rocketlex posted:

I think you mean Azazel? Lazarus doesn't start with a beam.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Baby's first brimstone is way more fun and less instantly life threatening anyway.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

One more hit on Isaac on my first run in the Cathedral and he would've been dead, but no, he had to somehow disappear and not get hit.

I loving hate this game. :bang:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Alkydere posted:

You mean Azazel, right? Lazarus is just Isaac with a free pill, an extra life and finely combed hair. Azazel's the flying demon baby with a mini-brimstone.

Even with Azazel it's not worthless to grab Ipacec. It gives your mini-brimstone a poison proc chance.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

Red hearts are worse than evil/soul hearts. If you have the HP to spare, buy the other devil deals first.

If you don't have a source of soul heart generation then red hearts are much better.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I used to think that dead cat was a pretty stupid item because if I'm down to one heart I'm not gonna accomplish anything anyway. Then I beat the Cathedral on my ~6th life. Something was causing me to drop black hearts on some of my deaths and they built up enough that I could beat Isaac. Hooray for dead cats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just had one of those rooms with 2 flying heads that don't die until everything else in the room is killed, and a gap between the right side with one of those mulligan things that run away from you on a 1 width pathway. I couldn't reach him at all because I have tiny planet and after like 10 minutes of trying the game just said gently caress it and the heads popped and opened the doors for no apparent reason :shobon: