Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Well, time for another Eden failrun!

:catstare: Welp, time to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Pro tip: when you have tiny planet, triple shot, double shot and lump of coal, for the love of isaac don't pick up mom's knife...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sokani posted:

I used to think that dead cat was a pretty stupid item because if I'm down to one heart I'm not gonna accomplish anything anyway. Then I beat the Cathedral on my ~6th life. Something was causing me to drop black hearts on some of my deaths and they built up enough that I could beat Isaac. Hooray for dead cats!

Could have been Gimpy, you have a chance to drop sin hearts when you get hit.

Also just got my first ??? kill, as ??? amusingly enough (especially since it started as an Eve run).

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Johnny Truant posted:

One more hit on Isaac on my first run in the Cathedral and he would've been dead, but no, he had to somehow disappear and not get hit.

I loving hate this game. :bang:

When he teleports away and starts the advancing beam attack, the bottom corner on the same side of the starting point of the beams and the top corner on the opposite side are safe spots. That doesn't really help if you have low speed but otherwise that can save some health.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Um anyone else have a bug where the game just randomly stops taking keyboard inputs? Is there anything to be done about that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Internet Kraken posted:

If you don't have a source of soul heart generation then red hearts are much better.
Every character has a source of soul heart generation in floor drops+champions+blue flames+red chests+devil rooms etc. It's just more forgiving if you have things like the relic or dark bum.
At any rate damage is way more important and scarce than HP and Abaddon gives you damage.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm not gonna give up my entire health bar just for one damage boost. Abaddon is garbage and the one game I picked it up I heavily regretted it since I had 7 health containers at the time.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Game just crashed on Mega Satan and I'm pissed. Got to Dark Room for the first time, first red chest took me to an angel room and I got the 2nd part of the key. I go into the door, do his first phase and the mini boss rush and as I'm taking down his hands again it CTDs. :mad:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really don't like playing as Azazel. The early damage is nice but that range is awful, and it annoys me how few items affect the Mini Brimstone he starts with. I had one good run with him but everything else has just kind of been blah.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
You know as much as y'all bitch about the haunt, for my money Gurglings are the run-ender on the first floor. They'd be plenty tough if they didn't leave creep everywhere. The Haunt is easy as heck compared to the Gurglings.

edit: also dingle is child's play and if you have trouble with him you need to get your poo poo together

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Is there any tell for which corner will be safe when Isaac carpet bombs the room with Crack the Sky light beams?

Most of the times it seems the best option is to stand in the opposite corner from where it starts, but sometimes the safe corner it directly down from where it starts. How do you know, or is it just a chance thing?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You basically just gotta eyeball the distance between each diagonal row of beams and if it looks like it'll hit the corner, shift over a bit. Not easy but at least it doesn't happen that often.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I have an Eden run that started with Krampus' Head, Mom's Lipstick and 1 red heart. First item room has the Satanic Bible. Which should I keep?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Nurge posted:

Is it just me or does being invulnerable allow you to take soul heart devil deals without losing anything?

This thread is moving fast so this may have been answered, but it didn't work for me a day or two ago on ???. I had four soul hearts, used Book of Shadows, took a Devil Deal, had one container left.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The trick to Dingle is to just circle-strafe around him whenever he prepares a shot or charge attack. Don't get greedy and try to keep the pressure on him at all times. Drop everything and dodge, then go back to shooting. He has large periods between attacks for you to get damage in, so just wait for him to calm down.

EDIT: Specifically, don't try to weave between the bullets of his triple shot. Go all the way to his side, then keep attacking. This is also useful advice for Gurdy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

I have an Eden run that started with Krampus' Head, Mom's Lipstick and 1 red heart. First item room has the Satanic Bible. Which should I keep?

I'd go with Satanic Bible. Having a source of sin hearts allows you to ditch your red hearts and make up for the damage you lose from not taking Krampus' Head.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

dis astranagant posted:

I'd keep Krampus' Head because I am confident playing with low amounts of health but if you feel like you need the health keep the SB.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
The thing about fighting isaac is, you have more space than you think between his crack in the sky shots. With a little practice it's not actually that hard to just pick a spot and let them pass you harmlessly. Last time I fought him he used it three times and i just hung out in the middle of the room and waited for it to finish up each time.

Rocketlex posted:

The trick to Dingle is to just circle-strafe around him whenever he prepares a shot or charge attack. Don't get greedy and try to keep the pressure on him at all times. Drop everything and dodge, then go back to shooting. He has large periods between attacks for you to get damage in, so just wait for him to calm down.

When he starts his charge you just gotta lay off of him. His movements are really predictable but if you shoot him he might bank in a weird direction. Keep your distance. His shots are kiddie stuff and his charge just takes a tiny amount of planning.

e: just saw rocketlex's edit. if you have enough distance, weaving in between his triple shot is easy. and more than that, weaving in between triple shots is like, a really good thing to be able to do in this game.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I just successfully rerolled a Little Steve drop from Steven with the D6, I'm guessing you can reroll cubes of meat/little chad/other stuff you couldn't in the original~

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

13/f/cali posted:

I'd keep Krampus' Head because I am confident playing with low amounts of health but if you feel like you need the health keep the SB.

That's what I was leaning toward but it was the cellar and got me killed but the next run I got this:

Sadly, the sparky bits in the middle don't do damage.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 17, 2014

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I forgot there was a Continue :v:

Quick, can anyone tell me if I beat the Lamb if I can go back and do Mega Satan? Or does the door lock behind me? I can't remember. I only ask because I don't have a Lamb kill on Isaac yet.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
First Chest win, first Mega Satan kill. I finally have Golden God. I am so far behind the rest of you guys...

This is a really nice rare room to find in the Caves. I rerolled the Technology into a Pyromaniac... which I didn't actually trigger once I had it.

This is about as obvious a choice as this game is ever going to give you.

And if you happen to have both flight and shielded tears (I rolled the Lost Contact in the Chest) this is a great place to cheese Mega Satan.

Crotch Bat posted:

Quick, can anyone tell me if I beat the Lamb if I can go back and do Mega Satan? Or does the door lock behind me? I can't remember. I only ask because I don't have a Lamb kill on Isaac yet.

Yes you can. I killed ??? and Mega Satan in the same run.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

I forgot there was a Continue :v:

Yes, you can definitely do that with both the Lamb and ???

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Thanks! Got my first Mega Satan kill and saw a creepy ending!

Only 480 more coins left to donate :suicide:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Whoa! What!?

I blew up a (seemingly) random rock in The Womb and this appeared. It led to an underground treasure room with a box of spiders.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Poizen Jam posted:

Most of the times it seems the best option is to stand in the opposite corner from where it starts, but sometimes the safe corner it directly down from where it starts. How do you know, or is it just a chance thing?

The one adjacent up/down from the opposite corner of where it starts is always safe, I'm pretty sure, or at least I've never been hit going there.

alternatively you can just be invulnerable:

(yes I did in fact just stand there doing nothing for 10 minutes while demon baby plinked away)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rocketlex posted:

Whoa! What!?

I blew up a (seemingly) random rock in The Womb and this appeared. It led to an underground treasure room with a box of spiders.

Yup, you can find those trap doors under any normal rock. If they have a ladder they can lead to a Zelda-like item room or the black market (full of beggars and cheap devil deals for random, not necessarily evil items and a passage to the next floor). If they don't have a ladder they're passages to the next floor.

Also, woo! Head Trauma is done! Soy Milk really, really needs to give you SOME damage buff, even if it's a nerfed one, on damage items. Also the knockback can quite literally be killer when it knocks enemies into you. Only took me two runs (tonight) though and the second one gave me a pile of health items. Between having 7 red hearts, bloody penny and placenta regen, I more or less got carried and could just focus on playing defensively knowing everything would die eventually.

Fighting Greed/Super Greed/Greed Heads with Bloody Penny was hilarious because if I got hit enough times I'd not only have enough money on the floor to generate hearts to heal myself, but also enough hearts to keep coming back for later heals.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 17, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Pretty sure soy milk does work with damage upgrades, it just sets a really huge modifier (like *0.1) on your final damage calculation or something.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

AnonSpore posted:

Pretty sure soy milk does work with damage upgrades, it just sets a really huge modifier (like *0.1) on your final damage calculation or something.

Kind of like how Azazle does technically work with range upgrades?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

IMJack posted:

First Chest win, first Mega Satan kill. I finally have Golden God. I am so far behind the rest of you guys...

I have 200 hours on the original game and 38 on rebirth and still haven't unlocked the polaroid or the negative. Honestly reading this thread makes me think half of you are some sort of binding of isaac savants talking about no-hitting mega satan with the lost.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Only Glass Cannon and Purist left in challenges now. Saving Purist for last because I'm a sadist :v:

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

drunken officeparty posted:

I have 200 hours on the original game and 38 on rebirth and still haven't unlocked the polaroid or the negative. Honestly reading this thread makes me think half of you are some sort of binding of isaac savants talking about no-hitting mega satan with the lost.

Nah dude unlocking the negative is easy (haha). I think you just gotta beat satan five times? Same for the polaroid and the cathedral. Isaac is tough, but I think satan's easier than mom and mom's heart, really.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I was broken as gently caress this run. Started with Krampus' Head, got Technology + Ludovico Technique from the first 2 item rooms and Lord of the Pit from Dark One. First angel room had Trinity Shield, just to make this sillier. Ended up with 5 luck by the end of the Womb from pills and the Lucky Toe and more money and consumables than I could ever use thanks to Humbleing Bundle. Picked up a Rune of Jera in the Womb and used it on the first room of the Chest, netting me Money = Power (my damage to that point was mediocre) and Holy Mantle. ???? died in seconds but I didn't think to kill any angels since I already had a Mega Satan kill.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

So just to be sure, the difference between Platinum God and The Real Platinum God is

- The Lost
- The Mind
- The Body
- The Soul
- The D100
- -0- Baby
- Godhead (which is Body/Soul/D100)
- Isaac's Heart

I'm getting to the nasty achievements and "minus 'The Lost' and his 5 unlockable items" is tripping me out.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
This was a rather pleasing use of a card against humanity

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Anybody care to let me know everything that makes you teleport whenever you receive damage? Because it is the most annoying loving effect, and I get it on runs where I swear I didn't pick up anything that would have caused it.

Also, what all is different in Hard mode compared to Normal? I've mostly been playing Hard since I beat Mom the first time, and it just seems like it gives you bigger levels with more enemies—the balance is the same, and all the bosses are identical, as far as I can tell. I actually kind of like it better, and if I'm having a bad run, I seem to choke around the same point regardless of the difficulty level.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Anybody care to let me know everything that makes you teleport whenever you receive damage? Because it is the most annoying loving effect, and I get it on runs where I swear I didn't pick up anything that would have caused it.

Also, what all is different in Hard mode compared to Normal? I've mostly been playing Hard since I beat Mom the first time, and it just seems like it gives you bigger levels with more enemies—the balance is the same, and all the bosses are identical, as far as I can tell. I actually kind of like it better, and if I'm having a bad run, I seem to choke around the same point regardless of the difficulty level.

Way less keys/bombs/hearts/etc. drop in hard mode.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Rollersnake posted:

Cursed eye makes you teleport if you get hit while charging, hard mode has fewer pickup drops, bigger stages, more champions, and a lot more curses.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Cursed Skull trinket will also teleport you if you get hit to half a heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Little Blue Couch posted:

Cursed eye makes you teleport if you get hit while charging

Uggggh, that's it. I've been picking it up because I like charge shots, and I've had chocolate milk show up exactly once.