Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Razakai posted:

The bit I remember most from playing AC3 was that mission with the French guy. You follow him around as he aggros every soldier in the city, forcing you to kill dozens of people. Then he charges at a random unarmed tax collector and murders the guy because he's an angry French guy. Then Connor is all 'YOU ARE A TRUE ASSASSIN'. I felt like turning the game off right there (and wish I had)

No taxation without assassination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So all this talk about AC3's muddled plot had me checking out the wikia page. And now I'm even more confused, regarding Charles Lee.

So Charles Lee didn't burn down Connor's village? Like, he had nothing to do with it? Then why the hell does Connor want him dead? My brain hurts.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I've always liked the core "historical tourism" concept of the series, but watching Geop's LPs are the closest I've gotten to it. It baffles me as an outsider to the series how longtime fans aren't totally fatigued with it by now given how often new games are churned out.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

So all this talk about AC3's muddled plot had me checking out the wikia page. And now I'm even more confused, regarding Charles Lee.

So Charles Lee didn't burn down Connor's village? Like, he had nothing to do with it? Then why the hell does Connor want him dead? My brain hurts.

Because Charles Lee was a Templar and Connor was finishing his mission as an Assassin. The real question is why he doesn't go after the real perpetrator who goes on to do a number of things including general mistreatment of his people, but instead he just goes home and mopes.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Because Charles Lee was a Templar and Connor was finishing his mission as an Assassin. The real question is why he doesn't go after the real perpetrator who goes on to do a number of things including general mistreatment of his people, but instead he just goes home and mopes.

I like how even after finding out who really burned down his village, Connor could still play some stupid loving minigame with him like they were old friends.

Flattest Fish
May 29, 2013
Sorry if what I'm asking about has been previously covered here, I checked a few pages.

My only remaining interest for these creed things now is the possibility of exploring a seamless open (sea)world in a big sailship, so I'm wondering if AC:Rogue
1) Has a single, non-segmented world like black flag did (aside from big cities and caves)
2) Is of a similar, or better size and detail level as black flag
3) Generally has a nice sense of naval exploration and discovery about it, or if it's a more restrictive affair.

Not that black flag really excelled at these things, i know it's all just an ubisoft icon hunt in the end... but there aren't exactly many seamless naval exploration games out there.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm only a few hours into Rogue, but it almost plays like a "What if Assassins Creed 3 had seamless naval navigation and didn't suck."

The naval combat is as good as ever, if not better. Some of the shittier weapons have been replaced with more useful tactics, and I think the arctic/northern setting is well realized.

Though the game still has a ton of islands and villages to explore like Black Flag, the map is a bit more segmented this time around. There's basically three or so smaller sections that, taken together, form a map on par with Black Flag.

It is by no means perfect, and the sheer amount of recycled content does occasionally grate. But there's plenty of new islands and themes and activities that do a fair job of shaking up the ole format. Really, my only real bugbear is that I wish they gave Shay at least a few new combat moves.

Far as I can tell the vast, vast majority of the combat animations are ripped straight from Black Flag. The double swords matched Edward Kenway's character well, and made sense with his flashy sense of style. They don't really suit Shay all that well though, at all.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rogue has a really neat concept and in a perfect world I would have hoped Ubisoft decided to delay Unity to 2015 and make Rogue this years AC game. Also they make it $30 because they realize it's recycled stuff.

It really bothers me that Ubisoft never bothered making a full on game where you're a Templar. The one time they do and it's basically a budget title.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I started playing AC3 today, but it`s so, so buggy. I only played until sequence 3, and there were already several missions where I had to reload more than once after the scripted stuff stop working, carriages going invisible middle cut-scene, rifles that don`t work, a total mess. Am I just the unluckiest guy in the planet or is this normal? :argh:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Digital Foundry did a comparison between PC, PS4 and Xbone versions: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-assassins-creed-unity-face-off

There's some really weird problems in co-op resulting in it going consistently sub-10fps.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Flattest Fish posted:

Sorry if what I'm asking about has been previously covered here, I checked a few pages.

My only remaining interest for these creed things now is the possibility of exploring a seamless open (sea)world in a big sailship, so I'm wondering if AC:Rogue
1) Has a single, non-segmented world like black flag did (aside from big cities and caves)
2) Is of a similar, or better size and detail level as black flag
3) Generally has a nice sense of naval exploration and discovery about it, or if it's a more restrictive affair.

Not that black flag really excelled at these things, i know it's all just an ubisoft icon hunt in the end... but there aren't exactly many seamless naval exploration games out there.

Narcissus1916 touched on this but I thought I'd add my two cents about 18 hours in:

1. Sort of. The game is divided up into 3 maps: New York City, the River Valley, and the North Atlantic. The latter two are fairly large though and probably about the same size as AC4's single map. (For reference: I am about 18 hours into the game and at about 56% completion. I've completed the NYC map, done about 1/3 of the river valley and 1/4 of the North Atlantic.)

2. Yes. Similar. There's some tweaks to the formula since you're in the north and not in the caribbean any more. Your ship has an ice cutting ram now. It's also smaller so it can navigate the rivers. Tighter turn radius. Some changes to the weapons for naval combat as well just to keep it fresh.

3. Yes, I love the discovery aspects to this game. I know people complain about Ubisoft icon hunts and I know that people say it's same-y, but I'm a huge sucker for the exploration parts about it. Last night when I was playing I explored a cave system in the River Valley that had cave paintings (game says there are 24 of them scattered around, each tells part of a story), and a part of a native Totem that I had to solve a puzzle to access. I then went to the North Atlantic and discovered a shipwreck that was hidden by giant ice sheets that I had to use my ship cannons to blast out of the way. The shipwreck itself was classic AC2-style gameplay with jumping puzzles and plenty of little nooks and crannies to check out. It had a lot of nice little atmospheric touches like a colony of penguins that darted out of the way when I got too close, a great view of the northern lights when I reached the central mast sync point, and a polar bear that was guarding a treasure chest.

(Note for all the people I'm sure about to chime in with "There aren't penguins in the North Atlantic!" - They were Great Auks which are extinct today but were definitely in the area at the time period of the game, so it's historically accurate.)

macnbc fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 17, 2014

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Finally got to the big twist moment in Rogue - and it is well acted and emotionally affecting. Well, it would be, if the cutscene didn't run at half speed and the audio didn't skip. Replayed the mission a little later on and it worked fine, but the momentum has definitely been dulled.

That's the first major glitch I've ran into, and as a whole it runs about as well as Black Flag did. Just a shame that the glitch happened at such a key moment.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

BaconPigbutt posted:

I started playing AC3 today, but it`s so, so buggy. I only played until sequence 3, and there were already several missions where I had to reload more than once after the scripted stuff stop working, carriages going invisible middle cut-scene, rifles that don`t work, a total mess. Am I just the unluckiest guy in the planet or is this normal? :argh:

It was normal for the early days of release, but they've long since patched the hell out of AC3, so you might just be unlucky, yeah. Or perhaps you've traveled through time?

I started playing Rogue after beating Unity in three days, and while the incredibly blatant cut-and-paste of assets is a little :rolleyes:, it's got enough new bits added to keep it from being boring. I was really startled the first time I got boarded, since I'd forgotten about that addition. The glitches I apparently escaped in Unity are coming out here, though—twice the game froze on me for no reason, once badly enough that I had to hard-reset my PS3. Otherwise enjoying it pretty well so far.

Flattest Fish
May 29, 2013
Thanks for the answers. Sounds alright.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AC3 should've been about Haythum and the twist should've been the ending. I didn't see it coming and was genuinely surprised by it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

BaconPigbutt posted:

You're pretty unlucky, I'm about 3 hours in myself and haven't run into any bugs save for general dev laziness.(seeing npcs in farming attire tilling fields... when it's covered in snow, then again maybe I'm missing something about farming?)

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Abu Dave posted:

AC3 should've been about Haythum and the twist should've been the ending. I didn't see it coming and was genuinely surprised by it.

That would have been interesting, but not sustainable. Sooner or later people would wonder why they never actually gave their group a name.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

effervescible posted:

That would have been interesting, but not sustainable. Sooner or later people would wonder why they never actually gave their group a name.

The could've just done an us versus them narrative. Does anyone actually give a gently caress about the plot in these games

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

effervescible posted:

As long as they refer to themselves as "The order", "our order"... it could have worked.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Toplowtech posted:

As long as they refer to themselves as "The order", "our order"... it could have worked.

True. "...the creed our organization lives by..." "...the battles our predecessors fought in the Middle East and Italy..." "...the legacy left for us by the First Civilization..."

They could have strung us along a lot longer, but instead we got a malformed Connor.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah, but this would require an entire game of them ducking around ever saying the words Templar or Assassin for the whole time. Not a single database entry could hint at it (and they already managed to spoil major plot events in the codex entries anyway). It's a ton of work for something that even the slightest misstep could completely unravel anyway. I was already getting suspicious with how they kept dodging around with their language, there's no way it wouldn't have been patently obvious by the end. You can pull a twist like that in a movie or book where you can control exactly what information a player can get, but it's a lot harder to do in something interactive.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CharlieWhiskey posted:

True. "...the creed our organization lives by..." "...the battles our predecessors fought in the Middle East and Italy..." "...the legacy left for us by the First Civilization..."

They could have strung us along a lot longer, but instead we got a malformed Connor.

The longer it goes without someone saying "Nothing is true, everything is permitted." would make people bit suspicious.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Neverforget them spoiling the big George Washington camp thing right as soon as you meet him in the Codex :suicide:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

The longer it goes without someone saying "Nothing is true, everything is permitted." would make people bit suspicious.

I'm 6 sequences in in Unity and nobody has said that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, but this would require an entire game of them ducking around ever saying the words Templar or Assassin for the whole time. Not a single database entry could hint at it (and they already managed to spoil major plot events in the codex entries anyway). It's a ton of work for something that even the slightest misstep could completely unravel anyway. I was already getting suspicious with how they kept dodging around with their language, there's no way it wouldn't have been patently obvious by the end. You can pull a twist like that in a movie or book where you can control exactly what information a player can get, but it's a lot harder to do in something interactive.

See: Heavy Rain for a good example of why unreliable narrators don't work in interactive fiction.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doesn't AC Rogue tell us that Haythum was trying to split off and make a new version of the Templars anyways? they could've just had him make a new "order" and not reveal his leader was Templar until the end? I'm not too intertwined in the fiction of AC so maybe that's why it surprised me so much :iiam:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

I'm 6 sequences in in Unity and nobody has said that.
Yeah, I am surprised no one said it during Arno's initiation ceremony thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not even actually part of the Creed I guess, since they do give that.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

See: Heavy Rain for a good example of why unreliable narrators don't work in interactive fiction.

I think they can in limited circumstances.

While Dragon Age 2 had some problems I loved the way they introduced an unreliable narrator for that game. The main character is portrayed in a certain fashion with exaggerated mannerisms when the game starts, THEN he's made to tell the "real story" and you're allowed to go through the character creator properly.

Then of course the game ends with the song "I'm Not Calling You A Liar" playing over the credits, which leaves the door open for the whole thing to still be made-up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also anyone who says unreliable narrators don't work has not played Call of Juarez Gunslinger.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I hope Uplay burns to the ground. Three days and I have only being able to connect to one CO-OP mission on the PS4.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Aphrodite posted:

Also anyone who says unreliable narrators don't work has not played Call of Juarez Gunslinger.

Fine. They have a better chance of working if your goal is comedic not more of a dramatic one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fine. They have a better chance of working if your goal is comedic not more of a dramatic one.
To be honest, almost nothing works if your are going for drama in an action game, because no matter what the player is going to be doing ridiculous, inhuman poo poo between the cutscenes.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Calaveron posted:

The could've just done an us versus them narrative. Does anyone actually give a gently caress about the plot in these games

Plenty of people do? It's goofy as hell, yeah, but for some that's part of the fun.

Crappy Jack posted:

Exactly this. A friend of mine was playing and toward the end of the prologue, suddenly had a "waaaaait they never used the word 'Assassin' yet..." Doesn't mean it couldn't have still been a good game, but if they tried to hold the twist to the end, it would've been insulting to our intelligence.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have them use Assassin constantly, but with a lower case A.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a little confused about a mid game sequence in Unity...

The Grand Master of the Templars is the blacksmith who made the pin?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So I have a button combination that lets me climb up stuff (Forward+RT+A), I have another button combination that lets me climb up stuff unless it's very high/far (Forward+RT) and I have a third button combination that climbs waist high and occasionally nearly head-high stuff (Forward). Leaving me with a complete inability to realiably just walk up to poo poo and not hop on it. Good job designing your controls.

Edit: The city is so beautiful. Shame everything else in the game just doesn't come together. Guess that's to be expected from a game farmed out to a billion studios in bits and pieces. Maybe if there was a core team of people who had some passion left for the product if could have been something. As it stands the systems are myriad and unsatisfying and Arno is Ezio's rotting corpse reanimated because he went over well with the target demographic in the past.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 17, 2014

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I remember playing one of the early Haytham missions in AC3, already knowing the twist, and thinking it was so cheap that your allies showed up as Assassin logos on the minimap.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

GhostDog posted:

So I have a button combination that lets me climb up stuff (Forward+RT+A), I have another button combination that lets me climb up stuff unless it's very high/far (Forward+RT) and I have a third button combination that climbs waist high and occasionally nearly head-high stuff (Forward). Leaving me with a complete inability to realiably just walk up to poo poo and not hop on it. Good job designing your controls.

Edit: The city is so beautiful. Shame everything else in the game just doesn't come together. Guess that's to be expected from a game farmed out to a billion studios in bits and pieces. Maybe if there was a core team of people who had some passion left for the product if could have been something. As it stands the systems are myriad and unsatisfying and Arno is Ezio's rotting corpse reanimated because he went over well with the target demographic in the past.

Forward RT B is what you want. (assuming the mapping is the same as on PS4 - it's circle there) it hops over waist high obstacles and doesn't go up at all. It's the same thing that gets you down, once you're up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I'm nearly at the end of Unity but I have no idea how to proceed in 12-1 because the tent I want to use to start my approach is loving invisible to the AI and they all spot me through it.

Edit: oh I get it, this is the "did you buy Disguise yet" mission.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 18, 2014

• Locked thread