Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Communocracy posted:

Whenever my friend says he is going to "church" he means he's actually going to a rave to get high on drugs and dance around. OP, could Jesus drop a bassline so sick that not even he himself could rinse out to it? Makes you think.

people rinsing out to Jesus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUDTq7cAqR0

Oh god, between really bad Jesus Rock groups and the Raves, the South continues to leave me in a state of confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
Not sure if you knew this but that's just baptist church footage with drum n bass played overtop, they are basically rinsing out to Jesus but not actually to dnb

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Communocracy posted:

Not sure if you knew this but that's just baptist church footage with drum n bass played overtop, they are basically rinsing out to Jesus but not actually to dnb

I know, but come to the South and prepare to be shocked

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kyrie eleison posted:

I can tell you the real answer, but you probably won't like it. God regularly condemns entire peoples and uses other peoples to wipe them out. This scenario effectively plays out in reverse later when the Kingdom of Israel is totally destroyed by neighboring kingdoms, who are believed to be acting as agents of God to punish Israel. There's methods people use to hand-wave this stuff, but it's there and it's a recurring theme throughout the OT, so I'll just tell you the truth about it.

The way things play out here is that peoples who are loyal to God and have strong, faithful societies are going to survive whereas those who are disloyal to God are going to be annihilated. And Jesus, in withering the fig tree, continues this sort of divine judgment. In essence, the religiosity of a society is the greatest predictor of its cultural and military strength. The values that accompany religious belief also accompany strong societies.

At the time God destroys Sodom and Gomorrah, Abraham asks God whether God would destroy the city if ten righteous people still lived in it. God replies that no, he would not. This means that the peoples destroyed in this time were despised by God, even their women and children, who the Bible notes are frequent victims of such conquering; look to the book of Lamentations to see how the Israelites respond to Jerusalem being treated in the same way. If this seems overly harsh, please consider God's perspective as the infinitely wise creator and final judge of humankind.

The OT tells a story of the Israelites being powerful conquerers blessed by God, and finally being conquered themselves due to their infidelity. They then try to rebuild afterwards with a stronger and more lasting spiritual foundation. I think this is an insightful look at how civilizations rise and fall throughout history.

Pictured: Kyrie's Interpretation of God.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Blarghalt posted:

So here's something that always stumped me.

Evidently, a lot of Christians believe that Jesus did the 'harrowing of hell' thing where he freed every good person that had died before he'd been crucified. Not really mentioned at all in the Bible and more a later invention, but whatever. What about the people that were, say, born in an area of the world right after Jesus died (say, the Amazon rainforest) where they never heard of Christianity, and indeed never could have had the opportunity to learn about it?

"Man, looks like God gave you the short end of the stick there. Sorry, I don't make the rules. Eternal hellfire for you! :)"

What happens is that most orthodox Christians (Orthodox, Catholic, mainline Protestants) have implicitly concluded that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is not actually necessary for salvation, though it helps to get your soul into shape for salvation. Most Christians who don't accept this conclusion generally are gleeful about the possibility that more people will go to Hell for them to feel superior to.

But this was a massive controversy in the Catholic Church around the time of the Age of Discovery.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
I've been to the south, it was shocking how many huge rear end churches there were. Rotting decaying libraries and high schools and enormous mega-churches that look like they were just built that's what I remember Houston/Baytown being like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQdIiEUFtqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohmhZVjaqQo

Edgar Quintero fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 17, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Communocracy posted:

I've been to the south, it was shocking how many huge rear end churches there were. Rotting decaying libraries and high schools and enormous mega-churches that look like they were just built that's what I remember Houston/Baytown being like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohmhZVjaqQo

One of the local groups from my hometown just shelled out $700,000 for giant crosses

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/aug/08/colossal-crosses/

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
:lol: people who believe that Teresa was anything other than a death fetishist who felt a thrill in her clitoris when a starving old man checked out looking into her eyes. But she was so famous!

:allears::allears::allears:

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN

CommieGIR posted:

One of the local groups from my hometown just shelled out $700,000 for giant crosses

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/aug/08/colossal-crosses/

Amazing, and how much money do those people contribute to feeding the homeless or rehabilitating the environment every year? I'm betting not much. prayze jayzis errday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQdIiEUFtqk

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Communocracy posted:

Amazing, and how much money do those people contribute to feeding the homeless or rehabilitating the environment every year? I'm betting not much. prayze jayzis errday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQdIiEUFtqk

Oh, that isn't even the best investment by a church in Chattanooga:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/aug/18/surrounded-by-the-word-of-god/

$8.5 Million. For a Mission training building. With Bibles in the walls.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Effectronica posted:

What happens is that most orthodox Christians (Orthodox, Catholic, mainline Protestants) have implicitly concluded that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is not actually necessary for salvation, though it helps to get your soul into shape for salvation. Most Christians who don't accept this conclusion generally are gleeful about the possibility that more people will go to Hell for them to feel superior to.

But this was a massive controversy in the Catholic Church around the time of the Age of Discovery.

They're still trying to sort out limbo. It's almost like the concept of original sin is bonkers.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My ancestors were money changers. Your deity whipped them for feeding their family.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Blarghalt posted:

So here's something that always stumped me.

Evidently, a lot of Christians believe that Jesus did the 'harrowing of hell' thing where he freed every good person that had died before he'd been crucified. Not really mentioned at all in the Bible and more a later invention, but whatever. What about the people that were, say, born in an area of the world right after Jesus died (say, the Amazon rainforest) where they never heard of Christianity, and indeed never could have had the opportunity to learn about it?

"Man, looks like God gave you the short end of the stick there. Sorry, I don't make the rules. Eternal hellfire for you! :)"

It always seemed a little weird that he only spent three days tops in hell. Like, he probably should have turned up in hell, freed all the good guys and babies and spent the rest of eternity ministering down there, throwing people who he can get to accept him into their hearts upstairs.

In my heart of hearts Jesus is still in hell, helpin' people out, because he's just that kind of guy.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

I'm aware Tolkien was Catholic. You seem to have gotten a very different read out of the religion than he did. Then again, he actually had to fight a grinding war. Or does God only want wars that are routs and slaughters?

I mean it sounds like you're saying "any civilization that stops murdering and enslaving its neighbors wantonly will inevitably decay and collapse." You're even kind of drawing a connection between 'when the religion's adherents start going "hm, maybe we should consider not just slaughtering and enslaving our neighbors"' and 'multicultural bad thing decay'. This seems very close to the celebration of militarism and violent action for its own sake in certain 20th century political movements. Have you considered that? Is God, in your view and your theology, a fascist?

Would it surprise anyone if it turned out kyrie Ellison was a member of the dork enlightenment?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

spoon0042 posted:

They're still trying to sort out limbo. It's almost like the concept of original sin is bonkers.

Nah, the idea that there's a fundamental flaw in the human condition which produces human misery is one that's fairly endemic across large civilizations. There's even a couple different secular versions.

ikanreed posted:

My ancestors were money changers. Your deity whipped them for feeding their family.

Now, put in "slave traders", and watch-

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

spoon0042 posted:

Original sin seems sort of like a corruption/simplification of the idea of karma, which when understood in a more broad sense does not necessarily represent 'your past sins,' but rather 'the results of past actions, good and bad.' By this theory, seen through the lens of biblical stories, our human world derives from the original acts of Adam and Eve, leaving aside the question of who Cain married. In this sense we would be seen to still be dealing with their karma.

However, it seems like creating an image of an all powerful, all loving, all seeing, all wonderful super-Father, who incidentally despises you and won't let you into his house (because his house can't have things like you in it) unless you fulfill some checklist needed for grace, is not; and the fact that the penalty for failure is not oblivion or lack of reward, but rather eternal punishment, starts to make it look like a rigged game.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

SedanChair posted:

:lol: people who believe that Teresa was anything other than a death fetishist who felt a thrill in her clitoris when a starving old man checked out looking into her eyes. But she was so famous!

Now wait a second she also pulled down a lot of cash.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Did the thread realize they were getting insanely obviously trolled yet? Holy gently caress D&D pull it together.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Average Bear posted:

Did the thread realize they were getting insanely obviously trolled yet? Holy gently caress D&D pull it together.

If so, it's a very slow burn since he's being doing this for over a year now. I suspect he's being mostly genuine, or at least not consciously trolling us.

EDIT: \/\/\/\/\/\/Oh goodie, I was so hoping you'd show up! :allears:

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 17, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Kyrie eleison posted:

God regularly condemns entire peoples and uses other peoples to wipe them out. This scenario effectively plays out in reverse later when the Kingdom of Israel is totally destroyed by neighboring kingdoms, who are believed to be acting as agents of God to punish Israel. There's methods people use to hand-wave this stuff, but it's there and it's a recurring theme throughout the OT, so I'll just tell you the truth about it.

Kyrie what is the context of the four Gospels? By that I mean in direct response to what event were the four gospels written. Why does that context make what you're doing here problematic?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Average Bear posted:

Its even harder to tell between trolls and real dedicated faithfuls with religious D&D, because they both tend to say things that border on the outrageous.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Pilate said "what is truth?" and Jesus couldn't think of poo poo to say

That gospel starts by answering that question explicitly and has Jesus answer that question explicitly.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If so, it's a very slow burn since he's being doing this for over a year now. I suspect he's being mostly genuine, or at least not consciously trolling us.

EDIT: \/\/\/\/\/\/Oh goodie, I was so hoping you'd show up! :allears:

Yeah, this has been Kyrie's gimmick as long as I've been aware that he exists.

Kyrie, we already know your stance on Buddhism - they should have bargained for a better offer than nonexistence (by accepting Jesus Christ into their hearts). How about the Hindus?

(Trick question, Hindus are about as non-monolithic as it's possible to get, but I'm in part curious about your perception of what's fundamentally Hindu, and in part curious about why that is fundamentally wrong.)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

That gospel starts by answering that question explicitly and has Jesus answer that question explicitly.

Which is like when you're playing the dozens and think of a comeback 20 minutes later. Doesn't count

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, this has been Kyrie's gimmick as long as I've been aware that he exists.

Kyrie, we already know your stance on Buddhism - they should have bargained for a better offer than nonexistence (by accepting Jesus Christ into their hearts). How about the Hindus?

(Trick question, Hindus are about as non-monolithic as it's possible to get, but I'm in part curious about your perception of what's fundamentally Hindu, and in part curious about why that is fundamentally wrong.)
I want to know, is the peace Christ brings the peace of everyone being completely unified and similar because all competing options and different perspectives have been successfully suppressed?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Hodgepodge posted:

At least he's arguing in his own words, instead of being like "here's a link to the Bible, I think you'll find it is true a priori." :smuggo:

Yeah but if he wasn't an effort troll then the jig would be up real fast and that's no fun for anyone.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Ninjasaurus posted:

Yeah but if he wasn't an effort troll then the jig would be up real fast and that's no fun for anyone.

I kinda stop caring about whether it's a troll when like 70% of the US agrees with the position unironically

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zeitgueist posted:

I kinda stop caring about whether it's a troll when like 70% of the US agrees with the position unironically

Don't you see, the entire nation is being trolled :stare:

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Thats some excellent logic there :allears: Being a saint does not excuse you from valid criticism, nor does carrying out what you interpret as acts of kindness make those acts free from criticism either.

And to be fair: I have not read Hitchen's books on her, I read doctors reviews who volunteered there and were appalled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Mother_Teresa#Quality_of_medical_care

Mother Teresa isn't a saint. She was beatified, but AFAIK that is only like 3/4 of a Catholic saint. Anyway, unlike in the West using drugs to provide pain relief was unfortunately enough not common practice in India at that time for various reasons. Since this is Argumentum ad Wikipedia anyway I'm just going to C&P from Wikipedia as well:

quote:

...the use of opioids in India for managing cancer pain remains—ten years after Mother Teresa's death—highly problematic for legal, regulatory, cultural, and other reasons (including supply interruptions, harsh punishments imposed for even minor infractions of the rules, and the fear of addiction by health workers)... As late as 2001, researchers could write that "pain relief is a new notion in [India]", and "palliative care training has been available only since 1997".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Teresa#Criticism

CommieGIR posted:

And nuns with no medical training treating patients who needed pain relief more than massages. But hey, keep going all out on the context issue.

The context is reality and the sad reality is that if it wasn't for those nuns these people would've died alone on the streets. Even providing them with merely a roof over their heads and a bed to die in seems like an act of kindness to me.

On SA this probably comes across as passive aggressive, but I sincerely hope that people who have such an incredibly low opinion of Mother Teresa and her charitable work strive and succeed in making the world a better place for the poor and destitute themselves. God Bless.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

itsnice2bnice posted:

On SA this probably comes across as passive aggressive, but I sincerely hope that people who have such an incredibly low opinion of Mother Teresa and her charitable work strive and succeed in making the world a better place for the poor and destitute themselves. God Bless.

That'd come across as eye-rollingly passive-aggressive anywhere, especially with the self-congratulatory "God bless" on the end.

The work Mother Theresa did discouraging contraceptive use basically destroys her legacy of charity, without even examining the charity work itself. That was incredibly lovely of her.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

itsnice2bnice posted:

Mother Teresa isn't a saint. She was beatified, but AFAIK that is only like 3/4 of a Catholic saint. Anyway, unlike in the West using drugs to provide pain relief was unfortunately enough not common practice in India at that time for various reasons. Since this is Argumentum ad Wikipedia anyway I'm just going to C&P from Wikipedia as well:

The context is reality and the sad reality is that if it wasn't for those nuns these people would've died alone on the streets. Even providing them with merely a roof over their heads and a bed to die in seems like an act of kindness to me.

She is quoted as specifically discouraging the use of them anyways, if she actually gave a drat it could've been easy for her to push through Catholic channels to get better legislation passed WHILE at the same time 'treating' the patients as best she could. As influential as she was, this was not outside her scope of ability. So the question remains: Between what she has said about her feelings towards 'Dying with grace' and her abilities, its hard to believe that she was simply limited by India's rules. Considering the 'ins' she had among the Indian politicians as well, its even more worrying that she didn't do something more.

You know, prior to her returning to the US to enjoy actual medical treatment.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 17, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

itsnice2bnice posted:

Atheists love turning Mother Teresa into a villain so they can justify their own inaction regarding the weakest. These are people who argue that the poor ought to die alone in the streets because simply loving them isn't enough. Teresa was a terrible sinner I'm sure- as we all are, but this movement to demonizer her is pretty much just plain evil and it is telling that Christopher Hitchens is foremost among her detractors.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

Atheists love turning Mother Teresa into a villain so they can justify their own inaction regarding the weakest. These are people who would rather the weakest die alone in the streets because simply loving them isn't enough. Teresa was a terrible sinner I'm sure, as we all are- but this movement to demonizer her is pretty much just plain evil and it is telling that Christopher Hitchens is among her detractors.

Demonize? No, I don't want to demonize her. While her work is commendable, there are glaring issues as to why she couldn't be more effective. That's all.

But specifically lashing out at people who raise criticism of her work is no better than labeling any critical of Israel an anti-semite.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
OP: Have you seen someone cast a spell

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

Demonize? No, I don't want to demonize her. While her work is commendable, there are glaring issues as to why she couldn't be more effective. That's all.

But specifically lashing out at people who raise criticism of her work is no better than labeling any critical of Israel an anti-semite.

SedanChair posted:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nope, that's not me.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Some posts aren't about you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

Some posts aren't about you.

No, but your repeated follow ups of any criticism of her has been:

Miltank posted:

hmmmm, nope. ripping on mother teresa still making you look like a dipshit.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
When I die I'm going to wake up in the year 9000 in my Console-Pod 99 Virutal Reality Entertainment System (Also known as the latest release of the Xbox One). I'll collect all my sick cheevos for living this life and hopefully I'll have a sweet enough Gamerscore to start a new game with some better starting stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also quoting SedanChair about anything doesn't mean a whole lot. He is not representative. Of anyone. In any thread, ever. A special snowflake.

Kyrie eleison, have you decided to convert to Christianity and forsake your blasphemous loyalty to Satan's "Roman" Church?

Other Catholics in the thread who have seen the light, feel free to speak up as well. Miltank, maybe? Don't actually know what you are.

• Locked thread