Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

Silhouette posted:

And for the great knife, use 1" rigid insulation foam board. You can get an 8'x2' sheet at any Home Depot or Lowes for like $12. I embedded a couple of nickels in the curve so that it'd make a scraping noise when I dragged it along the ground.

Foam board with embedded coins is a really clever idea! Con- and indoor-friendly, too. I'll file that away in my brain for future reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

ABS it is, then. Happily, there's a plastics supplier with stores in the Seattle area here that can make cut-to-order sheets.

What materials would you guys suggest for the Great Knife? A friend suggested MDF board for the bulk of it, and just put a bit of real metal at a particular point for making noise on concrete.

TAP Plastics in South Lake Union. Also, cosplayers have developed a specific repertoire of specialty materials because they work much much better for what you're doing than stuff from Home Depot. Read through the thread and look at what people have made things out of and research those materials. I'd say, stay the gently caress out of hardware stores unless you're there for something specific. Trust me, cosplayers have tested and tried all of these materials (they have hardware stores too) and have found that these specialty materials work so much better that it's really not worth even trying to ghetto something up out of unsuitable parts. If there's a cheaper way to do it, there will be a process blog post about it somewhere because these guys are obsessive and awesome.

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 13, 2014

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Silhouette posted:

And for the great knife, use 1" rigid insulation foam board. You can get an 8'x2' sheet at any Home Depot or Lowes for like $12. I embedded a couple of nickels in the curve so that it'd make a scraping noise when I dragged it along the ground.

Washers would probably be better than nickels, and last longer too.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I want to say that if you are worried about damage, that is a legitimate concern, but don't overvalue it. If you make something from heavy, authentic materials they might be very durable, but you can also end up in the situation where you have made something that is very frustrating to use/wear and makes you hate using the costume. I made a Rocketeer costume and decided to make the jetpack out of metal (mostly because I already had a bunch of it and tools for it) and the stupid thing ended up weighing a ton. After walking a con with it all day I was really uncomfortable, and passed on wearing it the second day completely. That was with the benefit of a supporting frame and reasonably constructed straps, not something that was sitting on my head/held in hand.

It can be much better to make something that you are going to be able to easily wear and carry that might need an hour of touch up and repair after a long excursion. I mean this is a halloween costume, right? You'll wear it two or three times once a year (assuming you use it for trick-or-treating, and then a couple parties) so spending a bit of time fixing it up is not going to be a problem. You only need that durability for costumes that are getting worked frequently (and more often those people actually use have multiples instead)

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Ashcans posted:

I want to say that if you are worried about damage, that is a legitimate concern, but don't overvalue it. If you make something from heavy, authentic materials they might be very durable, but you can also end up in the situation where you have made something that is very frustrating to use/wear and makes you hate using the costume. I made a Rocketeer costume and decided to make the jetpack out of metal (mostly because I already had a bunch of it and tools for it) and the stupid thing ended up weighing a ton. After walking a con with it all day I was really uncomfortable, and passed on wearing it the second day completely. That was with the benefit of a supporting frame and reasonably constructed straps, not something that was sitting on my head/held in hand.

It can be much better to make something that you are going to be able to easily wear and carry that might need an hour of touch up and repair after a long excursion. I mean this is a halloween costume, right? You'll wear it two or three times once a year (assuming you use it for trick-or-treating, and then a couple parties) so spending a bit of time fixing it up is not going to be a problem. You only need that durability for costumes that are getting worked frequently (and more often those people actually use have multiples instead)

Yeah, I pinched a nerve in my neck and had to do rounds of physical therapy after making my first 40k jetpack out of PVC pipe and bondo. Dude I cosplay with tore a bunch of muscles in his shoulder after we did Soul Calibur because his Nightmare claw was too heavy and also had to do PT. I'm pretty down on heavy cosplay pieces and props, they can be more difficult to deal with than just a bit of discomfort.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Time to make a cosplay fitness montage.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I made a knee-length chainmail shirt back in college. A friend wore it to a renfaire. Wasn't a good time for him.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Gounads posted:

I made a knee-length chainmail shirt back in college. A friend wore it to a renfaire. Wasn't a good time for him.

I need to do some amount of chain and/or scale for my Lich King build and I am so unexcited to wear it. It looks so cool but it's going to suck to make/buy and to wear. Ugh.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McPantserton posted:

I need to do some amount of chain and/or scale for my Lich King build and I am so unexcited to wear it. It looks so cool but it's going to suck to make/buy and to wear. Ugh.

Even aluminum stuff gets heavy after awhile.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Take a cue from WETA and make PVC chainmail.

http://www.instructables.com/id/PVC-Chainmail/

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

my cat is norris posted:

Even aluminum stuff gets heavy after awhile.

It's a ways off yet before I get into that project so I've been considering other options, I may end up doing leather scales instead and just a chain cowl to try and cut back on spending shitloads of money and being super miserable! I saw somebody doing this on my facebook:

Would be cheaper, faster, and definitely more comfortable.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

McPantserton posted:

It's a ways off yet before I get into that project so I've been considering other options, I may end up doing leather scales instead and just a chain cowl to try and cut back on spending shitloads of money and being super miserable! I saw somebody doing this on my facebook:

Would be cheaper, faster, and definitely more comfortable.

I've made something like that before too. Was more of a weekend project instead of a half year part time job.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't cosplay heavy stuff, but I do play airsoft and I've engaged in running, jumping, and climbing in dozens of pounds of gear. A major part of ensuring comfort is keeping the weight properly distributed across your body instead of straining one section.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

McPantserton posted:

for my Lich King

As in Arthas, please say as in Arthas...

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

LadyRavenWaves posted:

As in Arthas, please say as in Arthas...

Yes! :D That poo poo is gonna happen once I'm done with my Final Fantasy 8 costume.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Silhouette posted:

There is also these if you don't want to mess with sawing pvc to make rings:
http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=219&cat=Engineered+Plastic+Rings

They're paintable/dyeable, already smooth, and snap (or glue) together.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Reformed Tomboy posted:

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=219&cat=Engineered+Plastic+Rings

I've actually been to Weta and those were the first thing I checked out but I think the price on those is going to be a deal-breaker for me :/

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Silhouette posted:

This is amazing. If I never do something with chainmail this is the way I'll go. I had a friend who did Monty Python's King Arthur for Dragon*Con, and he would use real mail for the full thing. Atlanta in August/September can be brutal, and he would wear one of those ice vests under the whole thing, but it was still a real killer to cope with.

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't cosplay heavy stuff, but I do play airsoft and I've engaged in running, jumping, and climbing in dozens of pounds of gear. A major part of ensuring comfort is keeping the weight properly distributed across your body instead of straining one section.
I used to do heavy combat in the SCA, and the best decision I ever made was going through and setting up an arming doublet so that the weight of everything could be properly distributed. I had a couple friends who would just wear a long chain shirt of otherwise hang all the weight on their shoulders, and it just wears you down so fast. I'm kind of weedy so I need all the help I can get.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
How do I make me skin look all smooth in all it's elf like glory like all these other cosplayers, up close I look like I've been fighting wars in a coal mine for 2 years unless I use the magic of lighting.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Reformed Tomboy posted:

:aaaaa:

I had no idea those existed.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

Samuel posted:

How do I make me skin look all smooth in all it's elf like glory like all these other cosplayers, up close I look like I've been fighting wars in a coal mine for 2 years unless I use the magic of lighting.

So much makeup. I have great skin by most standards and I pile it on. What looks horrifically fake and plastic in real light looks great on camera.

McPantserton posted:

For really small ring or ragged-looking chainmail, I just knit it then paint the gently caress out of it. With the right stitches and yarn [I usually start with a black+metallic silver synthetic], it looks great and provides padding for the armour on top. Even if I highlight every single loop with metallic paint, it's still less time. If I really need dangly rings for super ragged edges, I'll weave in a few light-weight aluminum rings.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Bag of Hamsters posted:

For really small ring or ragged-looking chainmail, I just knit it then paint the gently caress out of it. With the right stitches and yarn [I usually start with a black+metallic silver synthetic], it looks great and provides padding for the armour on top. Even if I highlight every single loop with metallic paint, it's still less time. If I really need dangly rings for super ragged edges, I'll weave in a few light-weight aluminum rings.

This is what most theaters use for chainmail.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Also, Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

McPantserton posted:

Yes! :D That poo poo is gonna happen once I'm done with my Final Fantasy 8 costume.

:stare::swoon:
I will have to find a way to meet with you at a con in my Sylvanas. Still need to fix it up and get some pictures in it speaking of.

Progress pics on my end are kinda lame but here is the completed fem Charlie for Halloween...

At some point I may try my hand at making an accurate head but that was the best I had last minute.

I'm back tracking a little on Lina due to forgetting to add a part in the skirt but here are some shots. I am hoping the skirt still lays properly after I add the darker trim in.

I'm pretty proud of the earrings.

Prop flames.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Took the ol' suit out for another spin yesterday - aside from a few small scuffs, still mercifully damage-free from a couple of rough transits.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Yes, please. That would be frickin' epic. Also, that fire looks awesome! Lina's going to be killer.

And heads up to anybody who uses worbla or is planning on using worbla, the price is going up by about $8 per sheet in December on both cosplaysupplies.com and Yaya Han's store so now is a good time to put in an order if you were planning on it anyway. I just bought the amount I think I'll need for Arthas even though I probably won't be starting his stuff for a few months yet, my wallet is sad right now but perhaps will be slightly less sad later!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Jesus that's a stiff price hike. Why's it going up?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Jesus that's a stiff price hike. Why's it going up?

Both places have said it's an overall increase in manufacturing and shipping costs. I guess more accurately the price is going up by 10% per sheet, I only ever get the XL ones so it's ~$8 for those.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Bag of Hamsters posted:

So much makeup. I have great skin by most standards and I pile it on. What looks horrifically fake and plastic in real light looks great on camera.

I don't know anything about make-up :(

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqXTUGfr9aU

I don't know if it was posted in here prior (since it's back from October), but a friend linked me this and it's pretty loving boss.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
This the thread to ask about Cosplay photography as well? I've gotten more into that side of late, and wondered how people go about getting more exposure.

I'd love to eventually move into taking solo shots for people, get more 'in character' type photos.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

My girlfriend is interested in getting a sewing machine. I figured if anyone knew a decent budget model, it would be you guys.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cassa posted:

This the thread to ask about Cosplay photography as well? I've gotten more into that side of late, and wondered how people go about getting more exposure.

I'd love to eventually move into taking solo shots for people, get more 'in character' type photos.

How do you arrange shoots and where do you post your pictures?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
For some (relatively) quick and easy sci-fi armour, I was going to base an outfit around some American football pads and armoured motorcross leggings. All the "armour" sections are ABS plastic and I was wondering about the best way to paint these. I know that painting on ABS isn't meant to be ideal but I've worked with resin (for model making) before so know all too well about careful preparation and priming.

I was thinking that I'd wash the plastic parts, sand them a bit, then use brush-on primer from the DIY store, then acrylic craft paint and then varnish it - I can't easily take off or mask the parts I want to paint so spraypaint is pretty much out. I don't need it to be too hard-wearing, but if it stood up to a couple of nights of wear without needing repainting that'd be ideal. Any thoughts on the process or brands? (ones available in the UK, ideally!)

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

10 Beers posted:

My girlfriend is interested in getting a sewing machine. I figured if anyone knew a decent budget model, it would be you guys.

The sewing thread always has great recommendations. I'd ask there.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
We're approaching 3000 replies! I pop my head in here every so often and I want to say that I've seen some really awesome stuff get posted here. Good job, goons!

And thanks for making this thread successful!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

How do you arrange shoots and where do you post your pictures?

I haven't tried arranging any yet. Mostly I head to cons and take photos of people there.

Photos did go up all over the place, but deviantart made uploading huge collections a pain, and tumblr is as annoying, and I felt the pain of not being able to tag yourself in photos so I made a facebook page. I do share the galleries on the aus cosplay pages I know about too.

Shameless link is here. I'll get some cards made up for next year and hand them out when I take photos.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 2, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

I don't know much about sewing, but I know Singer is supposed to be a pretty good brand.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

Cassa posted:

I haven't tried arranging any yet. Mostly I head to cons and take photos of people there.

Photos did go up all over the place, but deviantart made uploading huge collections a pain, and tumblr is as annoying, and I felt the pain of not being able to tag yourself in photos so I made a facebook page. I do share the galleries on the aus cosplay pages I know about too.

Shameless link is here. I'll get some cards made up for next year and hand them out when I take photos.

Most photographers I know will upload one shot to FB for profile linking and publicity and then link to the rest of the gallery on Flickr or their own site. Social media sites tend to do ugly things to photos.

Have ideas for what you want to shoot. Next to getting photos out in a timely manner, leading the shoot is the best way to get a good rep. They're in the costume, they're probably tired and are limited in how they can move - if you suggest poses, tell them to fix small things [a flipped hem, hair in the face], and have a quiet place to shoot, you will make all of the friends. A lot of costumers don't know how to model, so gentle instruction will give you both better photos and an absurdly grateful subject.

"Hey, this looks really cool. Can I get a few shots in a better setting/light?" is usually all it takes. I will always give a new photographer a shot if I have the time/energy, and a lot of costumers rely on those con photos to have any evidence of their work. If you can, show them a shot or two during the shoot to keep them excited. Get an email address or something so you can send them a link to their photos. Cards are nice, but unless someone really stuck out to me, I chuck them and usually don't have anywhere to store them on my costume. If you're doing private shoots, however short, have a waiver for them to sign. [This will also give you their contact info.]

And please, please get at least one photo to them within the month or let them know your time frame. I'll forgive someone who can't get me photos for six months if they let me know that - people have jobs and lives. Yes, you are shooting them for free. They took time out of their day to work with you and modeling can be hard. Once you shoot someone once and they know you're reliable, you can usually escalate to longer shoots in more specialized locations or out-of-con shoots.

If you're worried about experience levels, don't. Anyone who's not an rear end will know they're helping you build a portfolio, just like they want to get better making costumes.

It may seem like everyone and their mother is taking cosplay photos, but the amount of reliable, non-creepy photographers who actually like taking cosplay photos is vanishingly small. Word will get around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I'm planning on making a Doctor Doom costume in the new year and could use any sort of advice/guide/info on making armoured bits for the legs and arms. In a perfect world, I would love to make something like this:

http://imgur.com/272c5Ai

But I think this is a more realistic (and still awesome) goal: