Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

db franco
Jul 14, 2014

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You can either wait for CM to roll L into their OS or you can just say gently caress it and flash the stock image and be done with root/ROM shenanigans.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Awesome. Might have to try this when I get home.

I'll probably swap back once CM 12 comes out. I enjoy following the bleeding edge in development. xD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

db franco posted:

Awesome. Might have to try this when I get home.

I'll probably swap back once CM 12 comes out. I enjoy following the bleeding edge in development. xD
CM has been worse than stock since, what, 4.2? You might find you enjoy a working device even more.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
You could also compile cm12 yourself from git. Supposedly they're mostly fixing bugs right now.

I doubt it's really worth the hassle though.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
OK after some shipping pains I got my Nexus 9. So the flex on the back is stupid, sure it shouldn't happen but it's so little that unless I'm looking at the back while pressing I can't even really be sure I can feel it at all 9/10 times.

As far as the buttons go, they're fine to me, especially since I double tap to wake and have separate volume control on my Bluetooth headset so I don't even really need to use them. One thing Google didn't remember about the nexus 5 was their trouble with loose buttons though. My power button is loose on one side and slightly rattles if shaken but its not like on my nexus 5, much quieter.

One thing I haven't heard others encounter is a sound bug. Occasionally when the audio starts there is some static however it also occurs through my headset so this doesn't seem like faulty speakers rather some software issue.

On the other hand I think this is my favorite tablet so far. I love the design of the thing, its understated but I don't consider the tablet boring, the metal edging does make a difference. Until I drop it and prove myself wrong it definitely feels like its fairly durable.

Nexus4lyfe

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Magog posted:

One thing I haven't heard others encounter is a sound bug. Occasionally when the audio starts there is some static however it also occurs through my headset so this doesn't seem like faulty speakers rather some software issue.

This happens with mine too. I barely use the sound on it, but notification sounds often have static when they start.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
God, multi window on my galaxy tab has been like a loving revelation. I don't think I could go back to a tablet that doesn't have it now.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

God, multi window on my galaxy tab has been like a loving revelation. I don't think I could go back to a tablet that doesn't have it now.

I'm telling ya man. I'm a Nexus at heart, but poo poo if Samsung doesn't add in some things that are actually useful. Multi window on the 10.5 Tab S is downright useful.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

hotsauce posted:

I'm telling ya man. I'm a Nexus at heart, but poo poo if Samsung doesn't add in some things that are actually useful. Multi window on the 10.5 Tab S is downright useful.
It works reasonably (and surprisingly) well on my GSIII, so I can't imagine how well it works on a bigger screen with actual modern hardware driving it.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Yesterday evening my N7 2013 was telling me to download android 5, I accepted and a 350mb download started. Then I went to bed.

This morning it's still stuck in 4.4.4 and telling me there's no update available.

Did I miss something?

e: apparently there are issues with android 5 on the N7 2013 so it's not a bad thing my update stopped. Just wondering what happened here.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 18, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Yesterday evening my N7 2013 was telling me to download android 5, I accepted and a 350mb download started. Then I went to bed.

This morning it's still stuck in 4.4.4 and telling me there's no update available.

Did I miss something?

e: apparently there are issues with android 5 on the N7 2013 so it's not a bad thing my update stopped. Just wondering what happened here.
What's wrong with Lollipop on the N7? I've been using it since it came out and it's been working better than it ever had under KitKat--even the Developer Preview was a vast improvement.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Is the update app still running in the background? After the download completes it does prompt you to select a button to restart & install.

Or you just need to restart.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

LastInLine posted:

What's wrong with Lollipop on the N7? I've been using it since it came out and it's been working better than it ever had under KitKat--even the Developer Preview was a vast improvement.

I've read there are sometimes video playback issues.

The update is not in background anymore and I restarted already. I might need to do it manually?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

LastInLine posted:

On the N7 it's fine, on the N5 and N9 there are wifi issues. I can't connect to my work wifi with either device. It's especially annoying since the issue was reported as far back as the first L developer preview.

https://code.google.com/p/android-developer-preview/issues/detail?id=1548

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=78702

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

pairofdimes posted:

On the N7 it's fine, on the N5 and N9 there are wifi issues. I can't connect to my work wifi with either device. It's especially annoying since the issue was reported as far back as the first L developer preview.

https://code.google.com/p/android-developer-preview/issues/detail?id=1548

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=78702

Nope there's some playback issues with N7 (2013).

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Well this was somewhat unexpected:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/541672/Nokia%20N1.html

At least the 4:3 screen ratio is a plus for me, however knowing Nokia's previous attempts at making tablets and booklets it's probably way too pricey.

EDIT: Rumored price is 249 USD.

uncleTomOfFinland fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 18, 2014

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Apparently other users reported that the Lollipop update for N7 2013 was pushed and then immediately canceled so it might be normal, and Google trying to find a fix for the playback problems before pushing the update again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

Well this was somewhat unexpected:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/541672/Nokia%20N1.html

At least the 4:3 screen ratio is a plus for me, however knowing Nokia's previous attempts at making tablets and booklets it's probably way too pricey.

EDIT: Rumored price is 249 USD.

Assuming it's in the Google Ecosystem then that looks seriously appealing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Assuming it's in the Google Ecosystem then that looks seriously appealing.
Apparently it doesn't have any Google apps preloaded. It might be "fixable" with root and that'd be a pretty appealing price but we'll have to see.

What happened to Nokia's Android fork, is that dead? Nokia X or whatever it was. I went to a dev talk about it and it seemed like a complete shitheap. They had something like seven different third-party app stores pre-loaded on the thing because it was clearly not going to get any kind of market share so they were just throwing Android apps at it from existing sources even though half of them wouldn't work due to Google-based dependencies.

Every single person walked out saying "that thing is dead on arrival, just came for the free pizza and to see how bad it would be".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunga posted:

Apparently it doesn't have any Google apps preloaded. It might be "fixable" with root and that'd be a pretty appealing price but we'll have to see.

What happened to Nokia's Android fork, is that dead? Nokia X or whatever it was. I went to a dev talk about it and it seemed like a complete shitheap. They had something like seven different third-party app stores pre-loaded on the thing because it was clearly not going to get any kind of market share so they were just throwing Android apps at it from existing sources even though half of them wouldn't work due to Google-based dependencies.

Every single person walked out saying "that thing is dead on arrival, just came for the free pizza and to see how bad it would be".

That was Nokia Devices, the part that they sold to Microsoft, I think? This tablet is actually from the original Finnish Nokia that still exists in the non-smartphone arena. It's complicated. The brand is spread now.

But I don't know whatever happened with the Nokia X.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I like Nokia hardware design a lot (still have an N95 somewhere) so I'd quite like a tablet from them. Just wish that one was a bit bigger for reading A4 size docs.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

MikeJF posted:

That was Nokia Devices, the part that they sold to Microsoft, I think? This tablet is actually from the original Finnish Nokia that still exists in the non-smartphone arena. It's complicated. The brand is spread now.

But I don't know whatever happened with the Nokia X.
Microsoft acquired the X brand and has announced that they'll support it for however long they have to, but it's dead beyond that. The 'new' Nokia is mostly a technologies company, mapping and the like. This new tablet is made by Foxconn with the Nokia brand on it, which is still pretty valuable and the device looks pretty slick, especially for that price.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
I believe it's supposed to be 249 euro and not dollars.

e: oh, never mind BBC is saying dollars

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Microsoft didn't get the rights to the Nokia brand, future Lumia etc. devices will be branded as Microsoft so it should hopefully clear up the confusion slightly once that is completely rolled out.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Woop got OTA to Nexus 10. Feels a lot snappier, especially the task switcher is great, and some stuff like options and google now are better optimized for portrait - they have two panels.

Feels like a new tablet now, we'll see how 5.0 works in the long run. No graphical corruption or crashes yet either!

Edit: wow the volume slider is now on top of the screen, so it doesn't block videos etc nearly as badly when adjusting volume.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 18, 2014

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My 2012 N7 was already struggling a bit and the upgrade to Lollipop did nothing to help it. So much slower now switching between apps and even just scrolling through Facebook it stutters and freezes. Guess it's time to grab a Shield.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LRX21R is now starting to roll out to the Nexus 9. For now, it looks like it's only going out to LRX21Q but it may also contain a fix for those currently stuck on LRX21L. No word on what it may fix.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I know the 2013 N7 is nothing fancy specs wise, but it still browses and reads forums etc. really well... would would I notice any improvement in general use if I got a Shield? I play a lot of games too but no fpses or anything that doesn't belong on a tablet really.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Inspector 34 posted:

My 2012 N7 was already struggling a bit and the upgrade to Lollipop did nothing to help it. So much slower now switching between apps and even just scrolling through Facebook it stutters and freezes. Guess it's time to grab a Shield.

I recently factory reset my 2012 N7 and I am so pleased with how snappy it feels. No lollipop for the mobile version so I'm still on Kit Kat. Feels blazing compared to my 2013 Moto G.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My Nexus 7 2013 charges incredibly fast on L, well faster than what it used to. It only takes 1 hour to go from 7% to 100% now.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Manky posted:

I recently factory reset my 2012 N7 and I am so pleased with how snappy it feels. No lollipop for the mobile version so I'm still on Kit Kat. Feels blazing compared to my 2013 Moto G.

I flashed mine when the factory images dropped. Still stutters pretty bad on Lollipop. Bought it at launch, I guess 2.5 years isn't too bad with it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Inspector 34 posted:

I feel your pain as I sold mine a few weeks ago. I did resolve the app crashing issue by deleting almost everything not necessary and turning off all the animations.

Straker posted:

I know the 2013 N7 is nothing fancy specs wise, but it still browses and reads forums etc. really well... would would I notice any improvement in general use if I got a Shield? I play a lot of games too but no fpses or anything that doesn't belong on a tablet really.

IIRC I was on the fence if I wanted a N7 2013 or Shield but I opted for the former. I don't play console games and don't even stream anything. I do own a Vita, DSL, and PC so I didn't need another gaming platform either.

Also, the Shield doesn't look like it'll go on sale for BF/CM either :c00l:

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

bull3964 posted:

LRX21R is now starting to roll out to the Nexus 9. For now, it looks like it's only going out to LRX21Q but it may also contain a fix for those currently stuck on LRX21L. No word on what it may fix.

I just got this update. It completed on its own, which is more than I can say about the last update they tried to send me OTA. Everything seems to be working fine on my end.

This is lollipop chat, not necessarily tablet chat, but I was shocked to see that when I factory reset my Nexus 5 on lollipop, it backs up homescreens and wallpapers and such. So resetting a device is unbelievably easy now. Everything goes right back into place, you just have to update your passwords for apps.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Has anyone else on an n9 gotten 0 OTA updates? Still on LRX21L :(

E: nvm I just saw the previous posts

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Alder posted:

IIRC I was on the fence if I wanted a N7 2013 or Shield but I opted for the former. I don't play console games and don't even stream anything. I do own a Vita, DSL, and PC so I didn't need another gaming platform either.

Also, the Shield doesn't look like it'll go on sale for BF/CM either :c00l:
sorry if that wasn't clear, I have an N7 and love it :) just wondering if the shield's specs actually make much of a difference in practical use, ie whether it would be any kind of upgrade.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Downgrading back to 4.4.4 because I cannot handle change and 5 is the Vista to 4's XP.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

shadow puppet of a posted:

Downgrading back to 4.4.4 because I cannot handle change and 5 is the Vista to 4's XP.

Uh what? 5 is an incredible improvement graphically and featurewise.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Uh what? 5 is an incredible improvement graphically and featurewise.

So was Vista.

The difference here is 5 runs just as well as 4.4 did

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It just feels oddly vista-like. Clumsy. Lots of graphical effects, like an unnecessary flash of black & white screen when turning the screen off. Its vista-like in its need to be overly visual.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It just feels oddly vista-like. Clumsy. Lots of graphical effects, like an unnecessary flash of black & white screen when turning the screen off. Its vista-like in its need to be overly visual.

My nexus 10 just zooms out a bit while fading to black. No flashes and animations are quite smooth even on ancient Nexus 10 hardware at 2560x1600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Android always had a switch off animation (CRT-screen before). And comparing Lollipop to Vista is a bad joke, and I say that as someone who used Vista for 1.5 years. Lollipop made my N10 feel like a brand-new device compared to the dog it was under 4.4.4 and before. Nearly everything is a solid improvement over KitKat, UI-wise and even more under the hood.