Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Asimo posted:

Is the video for that still around? The gif's great, but it's not the same without the facecam in the corner contorting into a scowl as realization sinks in. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9005093

Oh look, the T6 Intrepid announcement, and it's really really terrible. Time to buy an Eclipse with my hoarded zen.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There we go. :allears:

Goat Pillager posted:

Oh look, the T6 Intrepid announcement, and it's really really terrible. Time to buy an Eclipse with my hoarded zen.
But you'd be missing out on the awesome combat pet that requires a console to use! Those are always great and not things that die instantly when some random enemy looks at them funny! :downs:

And the Eclipse is pretty great. Not super top tier I guess, sure, but engineer/intel hybrid gives you a lot of room to work since with the right doffs you can easily drop most of your engineering powers for intel powers in PVE. It's also fast and nimble for its size and if they give the eventual fleet version four tac consoles it'll be pretty amazingly good.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Goat Pillager posted:

I was really looking forward to Cryptic going overboard with this one. It's a marginal upgrade at best.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

system protocol posted:

I was really looking forward to Cryptic going overboard with this one. It's a marginal upgrade at best.
I was looking forward to the Warship Voyager Battle Science Vessel. :(

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Lorak posted:

U.S.S. Holocaust Denial

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Goat Pillager posted:

Is it just me or is having a "universal console" that only works on a few specific kind of ship kind of like saying you have a universal "one size fits all" shifting spanner that only works on a handful of select imperial scale nuts and bolts? I.e. not very universal.

Also, added the shenanigans from earlier to the wiki, it was rather funny.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Mephiston posted:

Is it just me or is having a "universal console" that only works on a few specific kind of ship kind of like saying you have a universal "one size fits all" shifting spanner that only works on a handful of select imperial scale nuts and bolts? I.e. not very universal.
The "universal" term in the game refers to its ability to fit into any console slot of a given ship. So perhaps like a universal screwdriver that doesn't hammer in nails or act as a jigsaw well.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mephiston posted:

If you'd ever worked with reverse-ratcheting routing planers you'd know that the planning on some of this stuff has to be really specific. I mean, nobody wants isolinear spanners when they're working with self-sealing stem bolts, you know?

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Really like how he's not the CM anymore, but he still lurks around the STO forums like "hey, guys, remember what I did as CM?" Post count: 29.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

Equipping multiple consoles from the Long Range Science Vessel Refit, Long Range Science Vessel Retrofit and Long Range Science Vessel [T6] will bestow set bonuses to your starship.

Knew it! Gotta buy 'em all!

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Lorak posted:

This was the best part

quote:

DISCLAIMER: All information in this blog post is subject to change.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, at times they HAVE changed it after the blog post. It's not happened often lately, but it has happened.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, last one I remember was the Apex. The blog post on it listed it with a Lt.Com science slot and two ensign universal slots, kind of like the D'deridex layout, but when it came out a day or two later it was the current seating that was basically indistinguishable from the other lockbox battlecruisers except with the special bonus of being slower and uglier. :downs: Quite the disappointment.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Read some of the pubbie tears on the forum, and am still confounded that so many Star Trek nerds seem to have not caught on that Voyager was not a powerful ship. It was a fast and efficient ship, but it got its rear end handed to it by most everything they ever encountered because it wasn't a warship. A more nuanced game might actually come up with a decent role for a light exploration vessel; STO is not that game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

By 'standard intrepid interior' do they mean that one that bears no relation to the Intrepid class?

I have to say, either way, selling the Voyager bridge as a separate thing is an incredibly cheap move.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Valatar posted:

Read some of the pubbie tears on the forum, and am still confounded that so many Star Trek nerds seem to have not caught on that Voyager was not a powerful ship. It was a fast and efficient ship, but it got its rear end handed to it by most everything they ever encountered because it wasn't a warship. A more nuanced game might actually come up with a decent role for a light exploration vessel; STO is not that game.
As I recall, much of its ability to keep parity with other stuff is because the Delta Quadrant was lovely, tech-wise. Yet they're our level 60 enemies, not the Dominion, who even the Iconians were saving for last.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just means the Dominion'll be our Level 70 enemies.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Then the Tyranids.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

By 'standard intrepid interior' do they mean that one that bears no relation to the Intrepid class?

I have to say, either way, selling the Voyager bridge as a separate thing is an incredibly cheap move.
In fairness these are actually both variants of the new Intrepid bridge, with the "standard" one being a fresh Intrepid layout and the "Voyager" bridge being... Voyager's interior, with all the assorted modifications (Neelix's kitchen, the borg stuff in the cargo bay, etc.) It's actually nice to get the otion there.

Even if it's still cheap to sell it separately.

Nessus posted:

As I recall, much of its ability to keep parity with other stuff is because the Delta Quadrant was lovely, tech-wise. Yet they're our level 60 enemies, not the Dominion, who even the Iconians were saving for last.
Yeah, half the point of Voyager was that the Delta quadrant was basically a complete backwater. When they actually ran into races with a tech advantage the crew got their asses handed to them, plot armor aside. :v:

As for the Dominion... I don't think they were more advanced than the Federation in general. Just actually on par with them, with other advantages (like being led by a race of shapeshifting infiltrators), and with an incredibly efficient military hierarcy and absolutely massive numbers of disposable troops and warships. It's why that deus ex machina of the wormhole aliens eating the Dominion fleet was a big deal; it was only a portion of the Dominion's forces but it would still easily outnumber the Fed, Klank, Rom, and Cardie forces put together.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Delta Quadrant was only a backwater before they crossed Borg Space, I think. Things seemed more on par on the other side of it.

And of course the Borg were centuries more advanced than anyone else, but gently caress it, a Kazon ship is stronger than a Sphere in this game.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 18, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

It's odd.

At first it's like 'Delta Quadrant=BORG SPACE. DO NOT ENTER'. Like all of it was just Borg. Even the games went with this, pretty much; only non-inhabitable planets and such.

Voyager goes these, there's a lot of stuff, but it's like they're whatever's left over from the Borg. Almost refugees mostly. You have to imagine the Borg perhaps performed sweeps to keep them down or get more drones or whatever.

Now the Borg have taken the biggest losses in ever, we've have strike teams there for years locking down places and striking back, and now we're connecting up with people, we're liberating more Borg than ever, we can cure Borg Assimilation outright. We're cleaning up the place.

...It'd be funny if the next event was something like 'The Borg launch a massive co-ordinated strike and blow up all three factions-our stuff in Delta and so on is all that's LEFT'. Because these are the same fuckers whom even the Q have 'fear' or at least 'concern' about, even if we're close to Borg level now.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

You have the mistaken assumption that Voyager (the series) thematically neutered the borg in every possible respect. Add onto that the assorted victories in the game and thirty-whatever years of tech improvement, and yeah they're pretty much the galaxy's bitches now. Even if it makes no sense. :v:

Slightly more seriously, I have a suspicion that Cryptic wanted to avoid doing too much with them since the Borg factored pretty hugely into the vanilla game; the first year or so was nothing but the borg STFs as endgame after all. STO adding in the setting conceits that the Undine are attacking again and the Voth are actually a major power rather than some highly-advanced recluses on a single city city gives at least some excuse for why the Borg haven't overrun everything too, I guess. If they get too blatantly wussy I'm sure Cryptic will throw in some "well the Iconians were targeting them!", do a patch focused around the Borg, and revamp all their ships and such to current enemy standards like they did with the Undine.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And then all that Borg Tech we've happily slapped onto our ships comes alive and assimilates us wholesale.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Good job we have shotguns that they can't adapt to now then.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Aleth posted:

Good job we have shotguns that they can't adapt to now then.

+10 against assimilated Vulcans.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

+10 against assimilated Vulcans.

:gowron:

DonDoodles posted:

In this thread, Branflakes, the beloved former Community Manager, get defensive about his behavior during his infamous community PVP matches.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=20722931&postcount=30

That thread is going to get deleted shortly, I just dropped in the tale of Aotc copping a 24 hour ban for asking for help with our community event.

Korgan fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 18, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Asimo posted:

You have the mistaken assumption that Voyager (the series) thematically neutered the borg in every possible respect. Add onto that the assorted victories in the game and thirty-whatever years of tech improvement, and yeah they're pretty much the galaxy's bitches now. Even if it makes no sense. :v:

Well, in full honesty, I truly wouldn't know. A lot of what I 'know' is pretty much hearsay and vague things here and there. 8472 showed up in Voyager, and Voyager bargained with the Borg(And avoided the Borg betrayal) to get home, and then time travel was involved. That's all I'm sure of. I'm uncertain what was done to 'neuter' them unless the introduction of something that can beat the Borg is enough, much as the Omega Particle as something they want above all else also is(I only know that from Armada 1, though I understand that is also from Voyager, I think?).

I never really managed to watch very many episodes of Star Trek, but I've watched a wide smattering; it in all it's forms was practically a fixture on BBC1/2(I forget which, probably 2) for a very long period. Even the cartoon series was there sometimes in the mornings.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Even the Iconians make for more interesting villains thematically than the Borg so I am pretty okay with the current diminished role in the storyline.

The original game background, while surprisingly not that bad for Cryptic, is still a terrible grab bag of bad guys in execution. You've got the Undine, Borg, Iconians all from the get go. I think in the end Cryptic never knew how to really do the Undine so that's why they're kind of never touched on. I'm kind of okay with them just hastily moving on after four years.

Edit: speaking of bad ideas, I bought a kazon raider last night for real cheap. But I realized I really don't remember anything about them, so decided to check Memory Alpha.

quote:

The idea for the Kazon started to be conceived during secretive development meetings between Rick Berman, Michael Piller and Jeri Taylor, from which Star Trek: Voyager began to be created. (A Vision of the Future - Star Trek: Voyager) The series' co-creators originally conceived of the Kazon as contemporary Los Angeles street gangs. Jeri Taylor recalled, "We felt with the Kazon we needed to address the tenor of our times and what [...] was happening in our cities and recognizing a source of danger and social unrest. We wanted to do that metaphorically." (Captains' Logs Supplemental - The Unauthorized Guide to the New Trek Voyages, p. 151) One factor in this analogy was that the trio wanted to have in-fighting between the alien "gangs". Michael Piller commented, "Our intention was to create a sort of disorganized anarchy, them-against-them as much as them-against-us." (Captains' Logs Supplemental - The Unauthorized Guide to the New Trek Voyages, p. 161)

The earliest material evidence of the Kazon concept is one of many summaries of the discussions written by Jeri Taylor during the development process; the specific summary in which the idea first appears is dated 10 August 1993 and reads, "Maybe there are 'gangs' who are the villains. They don't respect the prime directive, and have interfered with many non-warp cultures. They come in and 'squat' on a planet. They're basically bullies." The same set of notes also posits, "At least two gangs–Crips and Bloods, in competition for influence."

There was never a chance Voyager was going to be good.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 18, 2014

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I just registered on the shutup wesley wiki. If anyone wants to grant access, my username there is DocSchnabel.

I goof off with this game for a month or so every year and change, but I never last because fed ships look boring and klink ships gross me out. Maybe space elves will do something for me this time around.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 18, 2014

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Is anyone going to paste bin or summarize whatever that insane courtroom drama was last night?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The Borg were a threat because they broke Trek's rules: they couldn't be bargained or reasoned with, they couldn't be tricked, and their philosophy of mechanized utility and redundancy made them extraordinarily difficult to deal with martially. As Q noted, they were the ultimate user. They were Trek's zombie horde.

It wasn't Voyager that wrecked them as a villain, though it did a fine job of making them less and less a credible threat, it was Generations. Prior to that, they were monolithic: a great big neural net made up of bodies moving in lockstep, a ham-fisted metaphor for anxieties over concepts like transhumanism, a computer that said 'gently caress off' to the kind of logic tricks that Captain Kirk used to get away with. Giving them a self-aware Queen gave the Trek writers the same goddamn kind of megalomaniac that Trek characters have been weaving their way around since Khan, with the same traditional outcome.

Voyager just made them increasingly degenerate. How many variations on 'separated from the Collective, weird psychological experiments happen' were there in the end? Since when do Borg bargain? And really-- infiltrating Unimatrix Zero by volunteering for assimilation? Come on. In a series characterized by lovely contrivances and hitting the reset button like it was wired into the writers' pleasure centers, the V-Borg stood out as particularly absurd, given where they came from.

I don't mind the state they're at in STO, on the other hand. As Q (and Seven) noted, they're users. They strip-mine, they assimilate useful bits of biology and technology, they adapt, but they don't create. If they went around, mopping up most of the Delta quadrant and leaving the survivors to hide and avoid them, that doesn't leave them picking up many innovations compared to Alpha quadrant cultures that are vital, have been engaged in vicious conflict multiple times in the last century and change, and have a vested interest in rescuing people from the cyber-zombies or burning them down before they can adapt and spread.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Do feds still have more players/more story content than klingons?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Do feds still have more players/more story content than klingons?

Technically yes, but all the "extra" fed poo poo is launch - Era garbage and everything worth playing is available for both factions and will easily get you to cap.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Technically yes, but all the "extra" fed poo poo is launch - Era garbage and everything worth playing is available for both factions and will easily get you to cap.
Gotcha. How about player numbers? Is the wait to join group content still faster as a fed than as a klingon, or have the numbers mostly evened out over the years? And also, what do most of you dudes play as?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Smaller population on the Klingon side but nearly everything worth queueing for is cross-faction anyways so a gain it barely matters. Also it's much easier to make money and dil as a klank if you're on the fence at all. Ultimately just go with whatever faction you like more. If you get serious enough about this game for the faction choice to matter you're going to want to roll some alts anyways.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Gotcha. How about player numbers? Is the wait to join group content still faster as a fed than as a klingon, or have the numbers mostly evened out over the years? And also, what do most of you dudes play as?

There are definitely more Fed players. This translates to longer queue times on anything that is faction exclusive, which are only a couple things. The other drawback is that doffs will cost toy more on the exchange on the KDF side than Fed. Also Fed gets more development resources since there are more players.

That being said, the game is perfectly playable and we have maxed fleets on both sides. It's really going to end up personal preference what you pick. But it's not like launch where playing KDF was a torturous nightmare.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Bieeardo posted:

It wasn't Voyager that wrecked them as a villain, though it did a fine job of making them less and less a credible threat, it was Generations First Contact.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me and my early onset senility. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Is anyone going to paste bin or summarize whatever that insane courtroom drama was last night?

Wasn't present for the courtroom drama, but did receive this in my inbox:

I believe this was sent to me just prior to the courtroom stuff? Three messages over the course of a half hour, completely unprovoked.

• Locked thread