Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pilchenstein posted:

So the books are as bad as the show is what you're telling me?

Worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Organza Quiz posted:

I watched Snowpiercer on Netflix the other day.

I got :argh:Irrationally Irritated:argh: by the gunfight between the two guys as the train went around a bend. First off, the train is moving at high speed down a slope around in a circle-- that's got to be a hard as poo poo shot to land with really weird leading, particularly for someone who has never once had the opportunity to fire a weapon. Of course, both sides get a symbolic headshot on the other.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pilchenstein posted:

So the books are as bad as the show is what you're telling me?

People keep saying that but honestly I don't see it. The books aren't anything particularly special but they're a reliable way to kill an hour every time a new TBP comes out. The show on the other hand literally would not survive if it weren't the only big-budget "no frills" zombie apocalypse show on TV.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It has like 11 million viewers. It could afford to lose 2/3 of that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mind the walrus posted:

The show on the other hand literally would not survive if it weren't the only big-budget "no frills" zombie apocalypse show on TV.

Yes that's the only reason why its the highest rated show on cable.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes that's the only reason why its the highest rated show on cable.

At its core, yes. It's the only game in town for a genre that has never been represented on TV before and has the full weight of AMC's marketing behind it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

The "Things often go over my head and that makes me angry" thread?

Explain how eating something that could contain the blood of an undead person isn't a big risk, instead of just being an rear end in a top hat.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Henchman of Santa posted:

Explain how eating something that could contain the blood of an undead person isn't a big risk, instead of just being an rear end in a top hat.

The impact is from no one being able to explain it. They don't loving know and it gets them killed.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's.

There was one part of Interstellar that really bothered me. Not so much that it happened, but that they seemed to have done a lot of homework on space and physics, while the one scene they talk about biology was complete nonsense. They say that our atmosphere is mostly nitrogen and only about 20% oxygen, so it's not really all that great for us because more oxygen would be better right? The blight can breathe nitrogen, so it's going to do a lot better than us. Except we're adapted to a 20% oxygen atmosphere and higher levels can be toxic. Plus nothing can or would ever breathe dinitrogen gas, since it's an incredibly stable molecule that takes a ton of energy to rip apart. It's so annoying because a 5 minute phone call to somebody who knows the first thing about respiration could have fixed it and they could have just as easily said "the blight is consuming a ton of oxygen while destroying the plants that produce more."

KoB
May 1, 2009

Eibon posted:

There was one part of Interstellar that really bothered me. Not so much that it happened, but that they seemed to have done a lot of homework on space and physics, while the one scene they talk about biology was complete nonsense. They say that our atmosphere is mostly nitrogen and only about 20% oxygen, so it's not really all that great for us because more oxygen would be better right? The blight can breathe nitrogen, so it's going to do a lot better than us. Except we're adapted to a 20% oxygen atmosphere and higher levels can be toxic. Plus nothing can or would ever breathe dinitrogen gas, since it's an incredibly stable molecule that takes a ton of energy to rip apart. It's so annoying because a 5 minute phone call to somebody who knows the first thing about respiration could have fixed it and they could have just as easily said "the blight is consuming a ton of oxygen while destroying the plants that produce more."

I assumed they meant that the Earth wasnt perfect and life just adapted, so another planet doesnt have to be perfect either but it could still work.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
What bothered me more is that blight seems like a much more simple problem to solve than interstellar travel and colonization.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Evilreaver posted:

I got :argh:Irrationally Irritated:argh: by the gunfight between the two guys as the train went around a bend. First off, the train is moving at high speed down a slope around in a circle-- that's got to be a hard as poo poo shot to land with really weird leading, particularly for someone who has never once had the opportunity to fire a weapon. Of course, both sides get a symbolic headshot on the other.

Oh man seriously. I'm not a TFR nerd but I swear that scene made no sense, they were like half a mile away.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Not to mention that only one of them is using a gun that's good for anything more than a few dozen feet, and there's a drat snowstorm at all times.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eibon posted:

The blight isn't alive.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The blight isn't alive.

Then what the gently caress is it?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aphrodite posted:

They're not going to be alone. He's just going there early so she doesn't have to be alone. The rest of humanity are in stations around the wormhole getting ready to move everyone.

It's heavily implied that he goes there for love, which doesn't make a lick of sense.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

The Walking Dead is obviously full of irritating moments, but one that always bugged me

and made me quit watching was the episode in first season where a guy has "visions" and digs graves all day making everyone upset and they tie him up to make him stop, only to find the dead invade the camp and they need to bury people (plus why they have cans tied to strings on only two sides of the camp is retarded). Wouldn't they have to dig graves anyway? Why dedicate an episode to someone being "crazy but omniscient" if they'd have to do the same thing regardless?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Then what the gently caress is it?

Blight is a real thing.

I guess yeah it's technically alive but not the way he was thinking.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand how anyone kept watching that show after they spent a whole season arguing whether to leave a farmhouse or not with barely anything happening during hour long episodes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mans posted:

I don't understand how anyone kept watching that show after they spent a whole season arguing whether to leave a farmhouse or not with barely anything happening during hour long episodes.

I read somewhere that Season 2 was written as events that took place in about 2 weeks, but the way it was paced I thought it was supposed to be over the span of a few months.

By the end, when they opened up the barn, I may have said "Oh thank god, the kid is dead, they can stop wasting all their time now".

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mans posted:

Because it's a fun way to spend an hour with friends on a Sunday night before everyone goes back to work on Monday. Season 2 was weak, but the last couple have been good.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Mans posted:

I watch it because the missus insists it might get better and I don't want to look like a dick by flat out refusing to watch two shows she likes. Say what you like about Walking Dead, it's better than Sons of loving Anarchy. :v:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Season 4 was so bad. Nothing happened. Everything was just a bunch of character studies while the show teased you with the advent of Terminus. Here comes Terminus, guys! It'll be really cool when it happens in season 5

The only thing that was remotely interesting was that girl who sympathized with zombies, and even that seemed a little too absurd to take seriously.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mans posted:

Because it changed showrunners and became a much more entertaining show. They seem to have finally found the right formula in season 5.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mans posted:

The comic has been doing that for over a hundred issues. They find a place, stay there until Kirkman mines every last bit of drama from it, kills a bunch of people and then they find a new place.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Seventh Arrow posted:

The only thing that was remotely interesting was that girl who sympathized with zombies, and even that seemed a little too absurd to take seriously.
I laughed my crabs off for a week when she killed that other little girl. They clearly meant it to be this huge moment that would shock people and it was so predictable and stupid - they clearly think they're making The Wire or Breaking Bad or something but they're so pedestrian it hurts. Like the episode the other week with that lass in the hospital - you know from the very start it's going to turn out to be a rapey hospital because they've done cannibals and psychopaths and rape is next on the big list of shocking things they're working from.

Len posted:

The comic has been doing that for over a hundred issues. They find a place, stay there until Kirkman mines every last bit of drama from it, kills a bunch of people and then they find a new place.
It might be a better show if you imagine them as a wandering troupe of method actors, desperately fighting to keep soap opera from becoming a lost art in the post apocalyptic world, though I wouldn't bet on it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

I laughed my crabs off for a week when she killed that other little girl. They clearly meant it to be this huge moment that would shock people and it was so predictable and stupid - they clearly think they're making The Wire or Breaking Bad or something but they're so pedestrian it hurts. Like the episode the other week with that lass in the hospital - you know from the very start it's going to turn out to be a rapey hospital because they've done cannibals and psychopaths and rape is next on the big list of shocking things they're working from.
Funnily enough they've now had three actors from The Wire. I love the suggestion from either The A/V Club or Grantland that they should get Jamie Hector to actually play Marlo Stanfield in a zombie apocalypse.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Pilchenstein posted:

Say what you like about Walking Dead, it's better than Sons of loving Anarchy. :v:

I started watching that because for some reason everyone raves about it, but gave up on it after the first three episodes. Does it get better after that, or is the entire thing "we are *~lone wolfs~* who are free to do as we like, including trafficking hookers, I guess they're not all that free but don't pay attention to them, this show is all about us"?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Stottie Kyek posted:

I started watching that because for some reason everyone raves about it, but gave up on it after the first three episodes. Does it get better after that, or is the entire thing "we are *~lone wolfs~* who are free to do as we like, including trafficking hookers, I guess they're not all that free but don't pay attention to them, this show is all about us"?

At some point, IRA people appear, at which point it becomes awesome or incredibly bad depending on who you talk to.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
All I've heard about Sons of Anarchy is that it's Hamlet on motorcycles. If it's anything like other FX dramas I've tried (Rescue Me, The Bridge), it's conceptually cool but isn't quite executed well enough.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

All I've heard about Sons of Anarchy is that it's Hamlet on motorcycles. If it's anything like other FX dramas I've tried (Rescue Me, The Bridge), it's conceptually cool but isn't quite executed well enough.
I've always gotten the same sort of vibe from FX stuff, and I can't really handle TV drama that isn't well executed (I had to stop watching the Walking Dead after season 1 just because all of the acting and writing was just soooo bad/mediocre, I can't imagine that's really changed very much). Which is why I'm kind of curious if The Shield falls into that "not quite" level of execution or if it's truly great, I still need to give it a try.

With Interstellar I was a bit irritated at the fact that the lady scientist is the one who succumbs most to sentimentality and THE POWER OF THE HEART. McConaughey's character gets sentimental and schmaltzy too, but for the most part he's the paragon of cold logic alongside the guy who gets blown up by Matt Damon. I mean, I'm not usually this kind of dude and it's probably irrational, but I was kinda like "For real?". I get that they're all under extreme pressure but the scene comes off kind of like McConaughey has to talk down this irrational sentimental woman and her rejection of logic. The fact that she was right didn't really change that. It's like the idea that Hillary Clinton wouldn't make a good president because she'd be, I don't know, blushing because Vlad Putin took his shirt off or something, or she's unable to be firm under pressure.

Also maybe the great perfect astronaut guy Matt Damon stubbornly trying to jam himself into an explosive decompression situation like it's a vending machine claw game, apparently unaware of the fact that "this ought to about do it!!!" is an extremely dangerous way to dock in outerspace. I mean, Hathaway scientist knew it was a bad idea but Matt Damon is just like "Shut up, shut up, I've almost got this!! Just JAM UP IN THERE, I'm sure this isn't dangerous!!!!"
I guess I'm more amused by the scene than angry at it though, it's excusable by saying they updated docking procedures since he's been gone and/or Matt Damon was just survival instinct/space crazy.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

At some point, IRA people appear, at which point it becomes awesome or incredibly bad depending on who you talk to.

Ha, that's the point where I lost interest in the show. lovely local chapter goes on wacky hijinx in Ireland! I hear it only gets worse (or better if you're so inclined). First few seasons weren't half bad though.

Instead, watch Justified.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mng posted:

Ha, that's the point where I lost interest in the show. lovely local chapter goes on wacky hijinx in Ireland! I hear it only gets worse (or better if you're so inclined). First few seasons weren't half bad though.

Instead, watch Justified.

I had to give up on Sons of Anarchy around season 4 because it got so bad, then I jumped onto Justified and it was so much better, although Boyd Crowder is by far the more likeable character over Raylan Givens and feels more like the protagonist to me now. Season 5 was a little weak but I'm hoping they're saving their best till last.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Jerusalem posted:

I had to give up on Sons of Anarchy around season 4 because it got so bad, then I jumped onto Justified and it was so much better, although Boyd Crowder is by far the more likeable character over Raylan Givens and feels more like the protagonist to me now. Season 5 was a little weak but I'm hoping they're saving their best till last.

I should rewatch season 5 before the next season, but yeah I agree it was a bit on the milder side. I'm not sure if I miss Raylan shooting a bad guy every episode or not :v:
Boyd 'Crazy Hair' Crowder is great. In fact, anyone with crazy hair on that show is great.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Murphy Brownback posted:

My favorite mistake in Gladiator is the dude walking around in blue jeans in the background for a second or so during one of the earlier scenes, where Russell is petting a horse or something. I guess something like that is easy to miss if you aren't specifically looking for it, but you'd think they'd be extra careful about stuff like that for a "historical"/period movie.

The thing that irritates me most about Gladiator is the fact that Hollywood refuses to get the thumbs up/thumbs down thing right.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gordon Shumway posted:

The thing that irritates me most about Gladiator is the fact that Hollywood refuses to get the thumbs up/thumbs down thing right.
Well which is it in Gladiator and how is it supposed to work? Thumbs up means you DO want the guy to die and thumbs down means you don't? I think the Hollywood version is more...cinematic, if that's the case.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Because it changed showrunners and became a much more entertaining show. They seem to have finally found the right formula in season 5.

So you only need to sit through 3.9* seasons of dreck to get to the good stuff? Sign me up! :rolleyes:

*the first episode of the first season was good, and all I've seen of it. I'm ok with this.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In The Walking Dead, where the gently caress are all the flies? Every zombie should be full of maggots. For that poo poo, the gently caress are all the animals? Dogs, cats, loving birds?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Cowslips Warren posted:

In The Walking Dead, where the gently caress are all the flies? Every zombie should be full of maggots. For that poo poo, the gently caress are all the animals? Dogs, cats, loving birds?
The show is terrible and I don't want this to come off as defending it. But we've seen the zombies eating animals so you can assume that a lot of the cats and dogs were served up buffet style by the assorted hordes. The ones that didn't get eaten probably give anything approximately zombie shaped a wide berth at this point.

As for the maggots and flies that's just a SFX budget thing. Pretend they're repulsed by the same magical conditioner that the characters use on their hair or the fantasy wax that keeps their Hyundais shiny and polished all through season two (where it became a running joke for me and my friends).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Well which is it in Gladiator and how is it supposed to work? Thumbs up means you DO want the guy to die and thumbs down means you don't? I think the Hollywood version is more...cinematic, if that's the case.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the closest the romans had up to thumbs up/thumbs down was holding out your hand with the thumb either tucked inside the fist (pollux compressed or something like that but more latiny) or with the thumb extended out. The thumbs up/down idea is an invention of much later artists. It was probably an episode of QI, and I'm probably misremembering it at least a bit.