Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

mabels big day posted:

This is only a very recent thing; for example, Brock was the only notable black character in the Pokemon games until the 5th generation came out.

Brock is supposed to be black??

Level Slide posted:

How do you optimize a game?

Well, you start with tightening up the graphics.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Level Slide posted:

How do you optimize a game?
Figure out what the developers of Sonic Boom did and do exactly the opposite.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They can't even commit them to explicit genders, no way in hell will they start adding ethnicity, too.

ummmmm??

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

mabels big day posted:

This is only a very recent thing; for example, Brock was the only notable black character in the Pokemon games until the 5th generation came out.

This is hilarious.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

raditts posted:

Brock is supposed to be black??

Well, you start with tightening up the graphics.

He's more pacific islander tbh

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

That and, you know, they're ok with games being games instead of trying to make a cinematic masterpiece with middle school level writing

Oh, we're pretending Other M doesn't exist again?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
For anyone who hasn't played Hyrule Warriors yet, play it. You can use the hookshot to pull the Majora's Mask moon out of the sky to crush enemies. But before you do that you hook shot yourself at enemy, kick them in the face, and then when you spring off is when you grab the moon

tl;dr: Hyrule Warriors weaponizes the moon!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Looper posted:

ummmmm??

Someone interviewed the Captain Toad director and he was all "Toads don't have genders and also Toad/Toadette aren't siblings or boyfriend/girlfriend they're "adventure pals" oh and toads aren't mushrooms"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Duh, they're toads.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Someone interviewed the Captain Toad director and he was all "Toads don't have genders and also Toad/Toadette aren't siblings or boyfriend/girlfriend they're "adventure pals" oh and toads aren't mushrooms"

Not that I really care about Toads having genders or races or whatever the gently caress, but "Toadette" is a pretty clearly gendered name so get the gently caress outta here with that.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Not that I really care about Toads having genders or races or whatever the gently caress, but "Toadette" is a pretty clearly gendered name so get the gently caress outta here with that.

They're still adventure pals.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

please do not force gender stereotypes onto toadette

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

I don't claim to know anything about toad naming conventions and neither should you.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

toads aren't mushrooms
I saw that article

that's a load of bullshit

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Toads are a non-dimorphic species whose society has embraced gender self-determination, which is why Toadette might wear a pink hat or Toadsworth might grow a bushy mustache even though they all got the same junk in the trunk.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

Toads are a non-dimorphic species whose society has embraced gender self-determination, which is why Toadette might wear a pink hat or Toadsworth might grow a bushy mustache even though they all got the same junk in the trunk.

Yesterday I was flipping back and forth between Toad and Toadette in Mario Kart 8 and I realized they are exactly same except for their clothes and caps and I think that's really true about most people.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

elf help book posted:

Yesterday I was flipping back and forth between Toad and Toadette in Mario Kart 8 and I realized they are exactly same except for their clothes and caps and I think that's really true about most people.

Hm... wise. You can learn a lot from Mario.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh, we're pretending Other M doesn't exist again?

Are you saying we shouldn't?

When I went into my game cabinet earlier to decide what to play this evening I saw Other M and once more took the opportunity to kick myself for buying it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Random Stranger posted:

How else will we learn from our mistakes? ..ah who am I kidding, Metroid is dead.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The final Jeanne fight in the first Bayonetta is pretty much ensuring that I will not finish the game. It's too bad, because there has been so much :frogsiren: going on and I want to see what kind of crazy stuff happens next.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

the truth posted:

The final Jeanne fight in the first Bayonetta is pretty much ensuring that I will not finish the game. It's too bad, because there has been so much :frogsiren: going on and I want to see what kind of crazy stuff happens next.

I believe in you.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

the truth posted:

The Jeanne fights are real fun and you should keep trying.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

kirbysuperstar posted:

How else will we learn from our mistakes? ..ah who am I kidding, Metroid is dead.

That's what we said about Metroid prior to Prime/Fusion.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

the truth posted:

This guy believes in u

Go for it, beat the boss!!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

the truth posted:

Abuse witch time, there are more checkpoints than you think, and play REALLY defensively. Jeanne has ALL of your moves, and then some. You're the mook.

YOU CAN DO IT!

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Ok, I won't give up! I am done for tonight, however. I made it through at least one of her health bars twice and didn't get a checkpoint, so it must be further along if there is one.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I remember really struggling with that Jeanne fight but I was able to overcome it!! I believe in you as well.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

the truth posted:

Ok, I won't give up! I am done for tonight, however. I made it through at least one of her health bars twice and didn't get a checkpoint, so it must be further along if there is one.

There are 2 checkpoints IIRC. Make sure to land all the QTEs and exploit your Witch Time. Juggle constantly and maximize your Wicked Weave APM. PKP is good, of course, but PPKKK is way stronger if you can land it tho because that's got TWO consecutive Weaves.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I remember just cheesing all the boss fights I had trouble with in Bayo 1 with yellow lollipops because I was very bad.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I just got my Wii U, but don't currently have a wireless connection. Rather than get a router, I'm considering getting the ethernet adapter instead. However, I've read a couple of discussions where people are getting a better connection via wireless routers, and I'm curious as to what the thread would recommend.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Random Stranger posted:

When I went into my game cabinet earlier to decide what to play this evening I saw Other M and once more took the opportunity to kick myself for buying it.

Did you pay full price, or bargain bin for $5? I am disappointed that I could have bought it for less than I rented it

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Astro7x posted:

Did you pay full price, or bargain bin for $5? I am disappointed that I could have bought it for less than I rented it

Pre-ordered. :negative:

Also, I know the truth can defeat Jeanne. Mainly because this is clearly the climax of the film when we all stand up and say that we have faith in him despite everything.

I'm not going to say that beating Jeanne is easy. She can be a tough one. And even if you do win, you might only have a stone award waiting for you at the end of it. But you can do it, the truth. She can be dodged. She can be hit. She can bleed. Get out there and win it! Clear eyes, pure heart, can't lose!

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 18, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

the truth posted:

"Don't think. Feel." - Hideki Kamiya

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

This guy believes in u

Go for it, beat the boss!!!

This is the best photograph of all time.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sprat Sandwich posted:

This is the best photograph of all time.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Someone please send one to Kamiyas mom.

mkasu
Oct 20, 2012
The last couple of pages almost sold me DKTF. If I were to bring in Rayman Legends (and possibly Super Mario Bros U) but only want to buy one 2d platforming title right now, which one?

I mostly play single player and value gameplay and presentation higher than story or something. I'd probably buy it on eShop to avoid import costs (Japanese Wii U), so all three titles cost about the same.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'd say Donkey Kong. Rayman is good and probably has more content with the first game's extra levels, but I personally found the whole experience pretty empty. Mainly it's much more style than substance; aside from a couple of stand-outs, the actual level design is not that great, and getting all the collectibles sucks.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Different people will give you different answers on this because there isn't really a definitive one. They're all great games. I say go with whatever series you've had the best experiences in the past. If you've played and enjoyed Rayman Oranges then get Legends, if you've played & enjoyed any of the DKC games then get Tropical Freeze.

If you've never any of them I'd suggest Donkey Kong simply because its more of a conventional platformer than Rayman. Or Mario, you'd be missing out on some games you'd potentially like better, but Mario is a lot less risky, you know exactly what you're going to get with Mario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

the truth posted:

I want to say that it's the climax and reassure you...but I can't. :negative: Things only go crazier from there.
There is one combo where Bayonetta sweeps, that seemed to work well against her in my playthrough.

mkasu posted:

The last couple of pages almost sold me DKTF. If I were to bring in Rayman Legends (and possibly Super Mario Bros U) but only want to buy one 2d platforming title right now, which one?

I mostly play single player and value gameplay and presentation higher than story or something. I'd probably buy it on eShop to avoid import costs (Japanese Wii U), so all three titles cost about the same.

There is no correct answer here. :negative:
Donkey kong for the challenge
Rayman for speedy fun and good graphics
Mario for slightly slower fun

edit:

Davinci posted:

Different people will give you different answers on this because there isn't really a definitive one. They're all great games. I say go with whatever series you've had the best experiences in the past. If you've played and enjoyed Rayman Oranges then get Legends, if you've played & enjoyed any of the DKC games then get Tropical Freeze.
I take it you have some trauma with the dessert themed world?

• Locked thread