Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

changing the hostname when you encrypt a drive with bitlocker requires you to re-enter the drive recovery key for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
it's tablet time

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Pinterest Mom posted:

click  in with your microsoft  surface

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROTZLWKtQz4

"we need to sell the recliner-mode as somehow being useful"
"a fresh perspective on your work!"
"who cares, fine, whatever"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

lol dat keyboard

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

changing the hostname when you encrypt a drive with bitlocker requires you to re-enter the drive recovery key for some reason

paging hackbunny

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

paging hackbunny

I'm guessing they do something like salt with the system name instead of a sane thing like the sid

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pinterest Mom posted:

envy living up to its name again

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

yo bro

its tablet time

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

they still have their beats partnership
huh

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
gotta honor yo preexisting contracts. same happened when apple bought authentec

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
IT'S TABLET TIME !!!!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Metrication posted:

IT'S TABLET TIME !!!!

dad no

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
God drat it, does HP employ the worst product designers, or what?!

First the Sprout, now this POS - what the hell is going on?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fame Douglas posted:

First the Sprout, now this POS - what the hell is going on?

innovation and

quote:

I'm going to map this out
- Exec is lured into said position with huge signing bonus. Bonus Count: 1
- Executive's bonus criteria are to ship an iPad competitor and "build" tablet business
- Exec spends hundreds of millions doing just that with full knowledge that it's not competitive but he's meeting his written goals
- The first year passes before the product is out or has pricing or final details, exec gets giant bonus for doing a good job even if that's not true because board is full of people who don't know poo poo. Bonus Count: 2
- Tablet ships right before exec gets next bonus, probably for hitting arbitrary quarterly deadline. Do you really think it wouldn't be better for them to have waited 2 months for Flash and 4G to work? There's only one reason to release it now and that's so it can be "Q1". Bonus Count: 3
- Thing craters in the market but blame is placed on Apple, exec vows that follow-up version will be the best thing ever
- Follow-up version takes longer than expected to deliver, annual bonus for working hard in challenging conditions. Bonus Count: 4
- Follow-up ships suspiciously close to the end of a financial quarter. Bonus Count: 5
- Follow-up craters in market, board decides it's time for said executive to send more time with the family. Massive severance package ensues. Bonus Count: 6

So that's how you can make 8 figures in 3 years while failing every step of the way.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

IT

IS

TABLET

TIME

!!!!!!!!!!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

there's no GUI power options when you RDP in, not even if you do ctrl+alt+end like you could with Win 7. It's logoff/disconnect only unless you get a popup prompting for a restart or you know how to do it at a command line
the way i always do it with windows 7 is to click on the task bar then alt-f4 to get the shutdown menu. maybe this still works? it's silly either way.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The Leck posted:

the way i always do it with windows 7 is to click on the task bar then alt-f4 to get the shutdown menu. maybe this still works? it's silly either way.

phew, that still works. what a weird thing to do

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

making sure people in here see this too:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/MS14-068

quote:

This security update resolves a privately reported vulnerability in Microsoft Windows Kerberos KDC that could allow an attacker to elevate unprivileged domain user account privileges to those of the domain administrator account. An attacker could use these elevated privileges to compromise any computer in the domain, including domain controllers. An attacker must have valid domain credentials to exploit this vulnerability. The affected component is available remotely to users who have standard user accounts with domain credentials; this is not the case for users with local account credentials only. When this security bulletin was issued, Microsoft was aware of limited, targeted attacks that attempt to exploit this vulnerability.

patch now patch now patch now

:shepface:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Number19 posted:

making sure people in here see this too:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/MS14-068

patch now patch now patch now

:shepface:

:stare:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

wwwwhhhyyyyyyyyyy

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

phew, that still works. what a weird thing to do

lmbo, I can't use that dialog to the put the system to sleep because the RDP session tries to stay up and blocks it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I do enjoy the whole "envy" branding aspect, at least they're self-aware about making lovely knock-offs but wouldn't you rather copy a successful product?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
you know what kids are really into these days? presentations

http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/use-microsoft-sway-to-make-building-presentations-easy-1660072749/

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's me

i'm the all-in-one with multiple parts

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

marcosaft marketing material for office family/personal is heavy on the whole "your kids can make powerpoint decks for school" thing. commercials with 13-year olds running slides. productivity everywhere.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
id laff but thats a real skill i guess. i make powerpoint presentations (in keynote :smug:) like every fuckin week these days

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw-g6IuBVJE

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

duTrieux. posted:

marcosaft marketing material for office family/personal is heavy on the whole "your kids can make powerpoint decks for school" thing. commercials with 13-year olds running slides. productivity everywhere.

didn't powerpoint do 9/11

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

wandows

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

it's me

i'm the all-in-one with multiple parts

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

duTrieux. posted:

that goes back to the 80s though

apple used to push "get the same computer your kids use at school" all the time

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

didn't powerpoint do 9/11

might as well have

quote:

WASHINGTON — Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, the leader of American and NATO forces in Afghanistan, was shown a PowerPoint slide in Kabul last summer that was meant to portray the complexity of American military strategy, but looked more like a bowl of spaghetti.

“When we understand that slide, we’ll have won the war,” General McChrystal dryly remarked, one of his advisers recalled, as the room erupted in laughter.

quote:

Commanders say that behind all the PowerPoint jokes are serious concerns that the program stifles discussion, critical thinking and thoughtful decision-making. Not least, it ties up junior officers — referred to as PowerPoint Rangers — in the daily preparation of slides, be it for a Joint Staff meeting in Washington or for a platoon leader’s pre-mission combat briefing in a remote pocket of Afghanistan.

Last year when a military Web site, Company Command, asked an Army platoon leader in Iraq, Lt. Sam Nuxoll, how he spent most of his time, he responded, “Making PowerPoint slides.” When pressed, he said he was serious.

“I have to make a storyboard complete with digital pictures, diagrams and text summaries on just about anything that happens,” Lieutenant Nuxoll told the Web site. “Conduct a key leader engagement? Make a storyboard. Award a microgrant? Make a storyboard.”

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hi gareth

pram
Jun 10, 2001

THC posted:

wandows

lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

OK, Xbox One, Kinect, power brick, external hard disk. What's the thing directly on top of the console itself?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I think that's a cable box since MS are fuckers and didn't put a tuner in it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

quote:

But the system is not without problems. Because anyone on Siprnet who wanted to could set up a chat, 50 rooms sprang up in the months before the war. The result: information overload. "We've started throwing people out of the rooms who don't belong there," Mims says.

"What's funny about using Microsoft Chat," he adds with a sly smile, "is that everybody has to choose an icon to represent themselves. Some of these guys haven't bothered, so the program assigns them one. We'll be in the middle of a battle and a bunch of field artillery colonels will come online in the form of these big-breasted blondes. We've got a few space aliens, too."
lmbo our entire iraq strategy was plotted by rands and pants from jerkcity

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

FMguru posted:

lmbo our entire iraq strategy was plotted by rands and pants from jerkcity
no wonder irc took off

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

the funny part is that sony is introducing some tv thing on both the ps4 android ps3 that does essentially the same thing as the xbone tv features except everything is delivered via the internet/iptv so you dont have to do any crazy hdmi chaining or gently caress around with inputs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

it's an OTA converter box, for the reasons you describe (and something not ordinarily necessary).

microsoft offers an ota usb tuner for the bone in parts of europe but it's region-locked to those territories

• Locked thread