Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Eh, I'm really disliking the barrier mechanic, making it a targeted aoe is annoying. You probably get one cast on everyone before the fight starts but then after that you need to pick ranged or melee, people moving out of it, have to shuffle ranged into melee, etc. Also I swear occasionally enemies in the aoe are getting my barrier too.

Barrier should be a group wide cast or single targeted with a lower cd. Hoping guard eventually gets good enough I can stop casting on my tank.

Yeah, the Barrier mechanic could use some improvements. It's useful now, but not as good as it could be considering how vital it is.

Anyway, I'm just now getting to the first Chantry meeting in Not-France after spending way too much time dicking around in the Hinterlands. When can I start getting new recruits? I'm playing a mage and that leaves three ranged fighters with Cassandra dedicated to getting punched in the face for them (which she does do admirably, but back up would be appreciated).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So does Isabella show up if you didn't give her to the Arishok? Go ahead and fully spoil me because I will never create a worldstate where Hawke didn't hand her over.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

cheesetriangles posted:

So about 20 hours into the game I finally got my advanced class/specialization. In case anyone cares what it entails

first you need to get skyhold castle you cannot do it before this point. Then you need to send josephine and josephine only (Edit: I suspect this will be different for the different classes. So a rogue would send Leliana and a warrior would send Cullen) on a mission to recruit trainers to train you in the class. I had recently sent her on a 4 hour mission shortly before getting to this point and because there is no way to cancel missions had to wait out the entire time. Then when the trainers come to your castle they will give you a task to forge an item. This requires a mix of common easy to find items, so harder to find items, and also a writing about the specialization. The writing confused me at first but each party member represents one type of specialization so the writing you need will be scattered about near where they stand in the castle. So for knight enchanter it was near vivienne etc.. After you do the combine you go and talk to the trainer for that specialization and they will ask you to confirm you want to be it. You are locked in once you accept so pick wisely.

I saw an XBox streamer whose solution to long wait times for war council missions was simply set the clock forward. Annoying to watch, but he plowed through the content ridiculously quickly.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The first boss was kicking Cassandra's rear end last night on Hard, barely got through that fight, used all of my potions and had to revive my entire party at least once. The Pride Demon has some sort of electrical whip attack that will one shot anyone besides Cass with a full guard bar. There's a wind-up on it so you can try to get out of the way I guess but jesus the combat is so chaotic that it's hard to keep track of when it's coming up in order to move people out of the goddamn way manually.

That's pretty much my only issue with the game so far. The combat seems quite slow in that everyone can take a beating, but every once in a while there's a huge loving hit that will one shot somebody and gently caress you over. Really weird pacing in combat.

The interface is pretty clunky, even using a controller on PC, but I'm getting used to it I think.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

That's pretty much my only issue with the game so far. The combat seems quite slow in that everyone can take a beating, but every once in a while there's a huge loving hit that will one shot somebody and gently caress you over. Really weird pacing in combat.

Is there any way to tell when one of those major hits is coming? If so, I'd imagine that's the main point of the Barrier mechanic--let a well-timed Barrier soak up some of that big hit so it doesn't one-shot you--but if there aren't any telegraphs or any way to tell it's coming I suppose that undermines that idea.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
So do I eventually get the crafting plans for the Flames of the Inquisition armor/weapons (and helmet) or is this poo poo weird colored level 1 sword/shield/armor the extent of my preorder bonus?

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

AngryBooch posted:

The Pride Demon has some sort of electrical whip attack that will one shot anyone besides Cass with a full guard bar. There's a wind-up on it so you can try to get out of the way I guess

You can't get out of the way. I did outrange it once by being at the far side of the canyon. I've bull charged perpendicular to him while he's winding up and it still tracked and hit me through a building

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
In the similarly tacked on multiplayer feature of Mass Effect 3 there were incentives/impacts for the single player. Is this the same with Dragon Age?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dorkopotamis posted:

In the similarly tacked on multiplayer feature of Mass Effect 3 there were incentives/impacts for the single player. Is this the same with Dragon Age?

From what I understand, no. The two modes have no real impact on each other. Your multiplayer character will show up in the background of the main game if "promoted", but that's all they'll do.

On another note, where do I find my DLC gear and the weapons from that trailer game? Do they only show up when Skyhold opens?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Harrow posted:

Is there any way to tell when one of those major hits is coming? If so, I'd imagine that's the main point of the Barrier mechanic--let a well-timed Barrier soak up some of that big hit so it doesn't one-shot you--but if there aren't any telegraphs or any way to tell it's coming I suppose that undermines that idea.

Yeah, you can definitely tell when one of these huge hits is coming, but I have to manually move Cass out of the way and combat is very chaotic so it's tough to keep track of.

For instance, in this particular fight I had Cass tanking the Pride demon while Solas and Varric concentrated on smaller targets and my Qunari Mage concentrating on closing a rift. My mage taking a hit would disrupt her closing the rift. The Pride Demon is super strong until the rift is closed. And the huge Electric Whip attack from the Pride Demon destroys everything in a long line, so once it killed Cassandra AND Varric in one hit and the battle was a clusterfuck from then on.

Vehementi posted:

You can't get out of the way. I did outrange it once by being at the far side of the canyon. I've bull charged perpendicular to him while he's winding up and it still tracked and hit me through a building

Well poo poo. I guess the answer is this then: you have to manually manage when Cass and Solas use their Guard and Barrier abilities so they're not on cooldown when you see one of these huge hits coming. That's pretty hosed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

Well poo poo. I guess the answer is this then: you have to manually manage when Cass and Solas use their Guard and Barrier abilities so they're not on cooldown when you see one of these huge hits coming. That's pretty hosed.

Well it is hard mode.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Well it is hard mode.

Yep, and I didn't have to reload the fight or anything so that's actually easier than your average big fight in an Infinity Engine game.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Re-asking since no one seemed to answer last night:

Do companions unlock as you go through the story, or do you have to find/stumble upon them during sidequests and stuff? Trying to decide if I should just push through some story stuff early to unlock everyone before focusing on sidequests.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

You'll get the location of several companions very obviously mentioned to you in the first few story missions.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Geostomp posted:

On another note, where do I find my DLC gear and the weapons from that trailer game? Do they only show up when Skyhold opens?

I think they are supposed to also appear in a chest in the room you wake up in in Haven after killing the first boss, but I won't be able to check until I get home.

Geostomp posted:

Anyway, I'm just now getting to the first Chantry meeting in Not-France after spending way too much time dicking around in the Hinterlands. When can I start getting new recruits? I'm playing a mage and that leaves three ranged fighters with Cassandra dedicated to getting punched in the face for them (which she does do admirably, but back up would be appreciated).

The breadcrumb quests to recruit new party members start showing up pretty much immediately after that first Chantry meeting (Vivienne's and what I assume is Sera's recruitments trigger off events in Val Royeaux, Blackwall's and Iron Bull's trigger once you get back to Haven after that or maybe after one more story mission, and I haven't seen anything pointing to recruiting Dorian or Cole yet.)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh god...I despise the lovely AI tactics/behavior stuff. Why on earth did they think it would be okay to have 'how many health potions =do you want your team to drink automatically?" be the extent of this bullshit. DAOrigins had very nice and effective tactics options.

This game has literally none.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Draxion posted:

You'll get the location of several companions very obviously mentioned to you in the first few story missions.

Thanks. I must be right before there then.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think they are supposed to also appear in a chest in the room you wake up in in Haven after killing the first boss, but I won't be able to check until I get home.

The breadcrumb quests to recruit new party members start showing up pretty much immediately after that first Chantry meeting (Vivienne's and what I assume is Sera's recruitments trigger off events in Val Royeaux, Blackwall's and Iron Bull's trigger once you get back to Haven after that or maybe after one more story mission, and I haven't seen anything pointing to recruiting Dorian or Cole yet.)

Some are in the box in the cabin, others show up in the war room.

As for companions, I don't have Viv or Sera, but I do have Bull, Blackwall's and doing Dorian's thing right now.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So what's the total download size on origin for this?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

SelfOM posted:

Yeah definitely, I played both DA:O and DA2 with friendly fire, and I think DA2 is easier than DA:I. Part of the issue is that I might have to get used to the fact that I can't even queue a move command in action mode. You always have to got to tactical cam. This wouldn't be so bad, but the fights can last a while on nightmare so it gets tedious real fast. I would stay in tactical mode, but the camera and re-centering is horrendous.

This right here is the most important patch they need to put in. Tactic Camera is currently much worse than DA2 because its zoom function is borked to work with terrain, and so it can take forever to get to see what you want.

Also, mmh, where have people seen that you can adjust the speed of the camera? It's waaaaaaaay too slow for me.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm must have restarted this silly game 4 or 5 times now.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
When it comes to the tactical camera I'm forced to wonder what happened to the smooth easy to use tool that was in all those demos they showed us.

Because I would like for it to be in Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Has Morrigan gotten any less annoying in DAI? I'm replaying another game of DAO, and here's how almost every interaction with her has gone:

Morrigan: "Are you insane? Abuse these people for your own power, who gives a poo poo what they think?"

Warden: "Okie dokie, you're right, and as such you'll be the first in line to get turned into a powerless husk for the sake of my own power."

Morrigan: "You wouldn't dare!" *Morrigan disapproves*

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Oh yeah the terrain, ever have it get stuck on a wall or some poo poo? GOOD TIMES

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has the day 1 patch hit yet?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Has Morrigan gotten any less annoying in DAI? I'm replaying another game of DAO, and here's how almost every interaction with her has gone:

Morrigan: "Are you insane? Abuse these people for your own power, who gives a poo poo what they think?"

Warden: "Okie dokie, you're right, and as such you'll be the first in line to get turned into a powerless husk for the sake of my own power."

Why its almost as if she had been living with her mother in a cabin in the woods for 20 years!

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

Cythereal posted:

[sad music plays]

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

Why its almost as if she had been living with her mother in a cabin in the woods for 20 years!

Or, as Wynne points out, Morrigan is a myopic halfwit who has never known what it's like to live in the environment she wants the Warden to create for everyone else.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Played at least the first hour so far and I am liking it a lot so far. That said, on the PS4 version it never had me login to Origin...it just seem to found my World Keep automatically.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cythereal posted:

That's kind of Morrigan's thing, unless you play as self-serving as her then it's hard to make her happy, and even then she's only really in it for herself. In my playthrough the whole 3rd Act twist with the demon baby came so out of left field because it was like "why is this witch lady that I barely tolerated and got rid of after Orzimmar talking to me about this crazy scheme."

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Not a lot of positive comments about this game in this thread. Best I've read is that it's at least not as bad as DA2.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
"Sure, I'll help you find a missing ring"

Morrigan disapproves

"Okay, I'll help you with your missing daughter"

Morrigan disapproves

"I think I'll just kick this puppy for fun."

Morrigan approves

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

That's kind of Morrigan's thing, unless you play as self-serving as her then it's hard to make her happy, and even then she's only really in it for herself. In my playthrough the whole 3rd Act twist with the demon baby came so out of left field because it was like "why is this witch lady that I barely tolerated and got rid of after Orzimmar talking to me about this crazy scheme."

Yeah, I normally loathe Morrigan but decided to give her another chance in this playthrough. She does have the occasional funny moment, like a bit of genuine empathy after meeting my dwarf commoner's mother, but the rest of the time she comes across as even more narrow-minded than Sten and freaks the gently caress out if you make any suggestion of applying her own standards to her.

I hope Morrigan has either gotten better in DAI, or you can ignore and/or kill her.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rirse posted:

Played at least the first hour so far and I am liking it a lot so far. That said, on the PS4 version it never had me login to Origin...it just seem to found my World Keep automatically.

The game said it uploaded my Keep stuff on the PS4 but none of the options stuck.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Not a lot of positive comments about this game in this thread. Best I've read is that it's at least not as bad as DA2.

Having played DAO and skipped DA2, I'm having a good time so far. Then again I have no particular allegiance or affinity to BGII, couldn't care less about tactical mode, and like it when games give me lots of little tasks to complete rather than throwing me into a big open world with no structure. I also like games with pretty colors. You might say that's childish, but then again, so are most goons who gnash their teeth over vidya games.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, I normally loathe Morrigan but decided to give her another chance in this playthrough. She does have the occasional funny moment, like a bit of genuine empathy after meeting my dwarf commoner's mother, but the rest of the time she comes across as even more narrow-minded than Sten and freaks the gently caress out if you make any suggestion of applying her own standards to her.

I hope Morrigan has either gotten better in DAI, or you can ignore and/or kill her.

She has a child regardless of any DA:O choices, which I believe is Gaider's way of plot armoring her this time.

"You wouldn't kill a mother! :qq: "

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Seems mostly positive apart from people having technical issues. It's a big, popular release and 95% of the posts aren't "This is the worst thing ever", so that's basically a ringing endorsement. I think most people are just talking about the actual game rather than making "This game's great/terrible!" posts because the thing is just so drat dense with stuff to do.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

How viable would two handed tanking be?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

RBA Starblade posted:

Has the day 1 patch hit yet?

Paging Snakes. Maybe it is a Week 4 Day 6 patch. We will look awful foolish when all these things we are complaining about are fixed the week after Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

KinkyJohn posted:

So what's the total download size on origin for this?

Just over 26 GB for the pre-load, plus whatever they throw in at the last minute if anything.

• Locked thread