Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hulk Krogan posted:

Misery Index's album is in my top 5, easily. gently caress, that album rips.

Seriously though.

The new Hour of Penance, Misery Index, and Orange Goblin are probably my most heavily rotated albums of 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The only really glaring omission for me is Ne Obliviscaris, and their new one's only been out for a week or so.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I must be totally out of touch because I haven't listened to a single album on that list.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Glad to see Godflesh on there. The new album is goddamn amazing.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

But I didn't think AA released anything this year? Last was Deceiver of the Gods, right?

Ah yes, my bad. It was released in 2013.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Domains and Emptiness really need to be on that list, and Mayhem, which I was looking forward to more than anything else in recent memory after Ordo Ad Chao became one of my favorite things ever produced by humans, doesn't.

And when I say "Domains needs to be on that list," I mean at #1. No matter how many times I listen to Sinister Ceremonies, it gets better with every spin. It's the kind of songwriting that makes almost every other album sound boring.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
^^^^^^^
Thanks for the suggestion with Domains, it's free on their bandcamp.

Kumbamontu posted:

I can't be the only one that was bored to tears with the Pallbearer album can I

You are not. No Black Anvil either, that's probably my favorite from this year. Also, as mentioned above, that Misery Index album is awesome.

Monkeytime fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 18, 2014

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
List needs more Bloodshot Dawn - Demons. Metalsucks finally did a piece on it today: http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/11/18/melodeath-done-right-bloodshot-dawn/

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

List needs more Bloodshot Dawn - Demons. Metalsucks finally did a piece on it today: http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/11/18/melodeath-done-right-bloodshot-dawn/

Totally banging my head to this at my desk right now

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

You know, I really preferred their first album. I kinda had the same problem with this as I did with the new Allegaeon, where it went too far into the direction of weedly weedly shred for my taste. Sounds a little overly polished too, IMO.

Still, there is some loving fantastic guitar playing on that record.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

MrBling posted:

I must be totally out of touch because I haven't listened to a single album on that list.

I haven't even listened to any new releases this year.

In a couple of years I have probably learned what good poo poo came out, I don't feel rushed. It doesn't get worse with age.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Klaaz posted:

Also no mention of Orange Goblin and Amon Amarth.

As it should be really. I'm more confused by why that Cult of Fire album is on there, I liked it but it came out last year.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend some similar power metal operas? I've been listening to Avantasia recently and love it. Stuff like The Metal Opera or The Doomstar Requiem by Dethklok.

It's not really similar to Avantasia, but I'd recommend "Streets" by Savatage anyways.

Here's a track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRhWbMbOngE

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend some similar power metal operas? I've been listening to Avantasia recently and love it. Stuff like The Metal Opera or The Doomstar Requiem by Dethklok.

Look here:
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/roby72/concept_albums_and_rock_metal_operas__aor__hard_rock_and_metal_/

From that list, Temple of Shadows by Angra is probably my favorite metal concept album. I remember thinking Iron Savior was good, too, but that was a while ago. If you want really really silly power metal concept albums, go for Ancient Bards or Kaledon, but be warned that the cheese levels are astronomical.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

A human heart posted:

As it should be really. I'm more confused by why that Cult of Fire album is on there, I liked it but it came out last year.

Apparently they go Dec '13-Dec '14 for these lists, which is why we're getting it now in the middle of November.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bruce Kison posted:

It's not really similar to Avantasia, but I'd recommend "Streets" by Savatage anyways.

Here's a track

This is one of the best tracks from that album too.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Bruce Kison posted:

Here's a track

Im a huge fanboy, and streets is probably in my top ten of all time albums. This is a must listen

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Every single persons AotY list is wrong if it doesn't list the Dead Congregation album as #1.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Amazed that ATG got #2. From what I heard (even from critics) it was at best a solid 7/10.

Also the new Horrendous is good, but Dead Congregation is EASILY the best death metal album for 2014. 40 minutes of perfectly crafted death metal which flows seamlessly as an album, with no loving around with intros or outros. All the atmosphere comes from the music itself. Brilliant album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I know I already said it, but ATG are headlining the Decibel tour this spring so they're going to inflate the quality of the record. Plus they're probably very popular with readers so you want to please them with these kinds of lists.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Maybe some will find Revolver's 2014 Album of the Year list a little more accurate...

01 – Slipknot – “.5: The Gray Chapter“
02 – At The Gates – “At War With Reality“
03 – Of Mice & Men – “Restoring Force“
04 – Linkin Park – “The Hunting Party“
05 – Motionless In White – “Reincarnate“
06 – Behemoth – “The Satanist“
07 – Mastodon – “Once More ‘Round The Sun“
08 – Judas Priest – “Redeemer Of Souls“
09 – Machine Head – “Bloodstone & Diamonds“
10 – Every Time I Die – “From Parts Unknown“
11 – Godflesh – “A World Lit Only By Fire“
12 – The Pretty Reckless – “Going To Hell“
13 – Killer Be Killed – “Killer Be Killed“
14 – ††† (Crosses) – “†††“
15 – Black Label Society – “Catacombs Of The Black Vatican“
16 – Black Veil Brides – “Black Veil Brides“
17 – Body Count – “Manslaughter“
18 – Suicide Silence – “You Can’t Stop Me“
19 – Godsmack – “1000hp“
20 – Triptykon – “Melana Chasmata“

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
There's a total of 3 albums on that list that are even "okay". But, hey, Revolver.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Maybe some will find Revolver's 2014 Album of the Year list a little more accurate...

19 – Godsmack – “1000hp“

I wasn't aware that these guys were still a thing.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
the nu-metal thread is that way

edit: lol it's like they put in Behemoth just to be edgy

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

How the gently caress did Triptykon get on there?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

edit: lol it's like they put in Behemoth just to be edgy

03 – gently caress you dad!
04 – gently caress you dad!
05 – gently caress you dad!
06 – Satan
07 – Butt rock
08 – Dad's butt rock

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Man, I haven't listened to BLS in like 10 years.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

To Battle posted:

Man, I haven't listened to BLS in like 10 years.
You didn't miss a whole lot. The new album is slightly better than the last few though. I'm still a fan of the first 5 albums but anything after hasn't done much for me.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Do the Black Veil Brides even call themselves metal? I was under the impression they were like glam hard rock. Same with Linkin Park, I didn't know they were considered metal. But I really don't listen to metalcore/deathcore at all so I can't really say. Behemoth and Tryptikon seem so oddly out of place on that list.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I had no idea who the cover idiots were so I hopped on youtube and checked out the song on the top of the list.

It sounded exactly like 1990 circa godsmack butt-metal. How exactly is this the future of metal?

Edit: hold on, I got my wires crossed. Apparently those are different members of different bands in that photo. I was wondering why I didn't see makeup guy in band photos. The band I heard was Mice and Men, tattoo guy is in that one. I had to see which band Morticia Addams was in and it turned out to be Motionless in White.

Took a listen. Exactly as expected, a Marilyn Manson clone.

Edit2: I'm a big fan of the guy who was changing the oil in his car when the plug slipped.

NarkyBark fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 20, 2014

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

of course it isn't, magazines get paid to write nice articles about all kinds of poo poo.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I really don't know a lot about American metal besides the early thrash stuff. I mainly listen to black metal/DSBM and from a cultural standpoint it is amazing how the two are even both called metal. In America, "metal" is seen as a very rebellious, teenage-angst "phase" type of music because they think of bands like the BVB while in Europe/Scandanavia it is considered much more a serious, emotionally complex art because they think of bands such as Mayhem or Taake. This is just my personal experience, I'm not saying that this applies to everyone, but when I am in America and tell people I am a metalhead I usually get a much different reaction from people than when I am in say Norway.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
In the states when you say you're into metal they're always like "Yeah I like [insert revolver top 20 metal band here ]" and it's terrible

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

In the states when you say you're into metal they're always like "Yeah I like [insert revolver top 20 metal band here ]" and it's terrible

and then when you try to explain that you only like trve kvlt black metal you come off as an extremely pretentious douchey music snob even though I'm honestly just trying to explain my musical tastes and how when I say the word "metal" I mean something completely different than the revolver top 20.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Revocation being among the bands listed on that cover is very telling.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In America people think listening to even the wimpiest metal band causes violence. In Europe metal has led to actual terrorism.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I mean that Decibel list isn't incredible, but there's some good, respectable acts on there. The Revolver one is just full of hot garbage that nobody will be into 18 months from now (with a few exceptions).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 20, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

yeah you mean like screamo right - a dude at a bar

yeah man chiodos is cool - coworker

e: I feel bad that periphery is on the list, not because I like their music but the actual people are likeable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

No Devin in your AOTYs? Ya blew it.