Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 204 days!)

Use HS/Link you fag I could play tetris against you while this poo poo downloads!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

fjelltorsk posted:

ok guys, i need your help.

Drove the Lancia to winter storage, and for some reason i am considering getting a old Range Rover as a winter beater.

Talk me out of it....

Please, i have enough problems

Which one? A P38 will make you hate life. The rest aren't as big of piles. The older the RR Classic though, the better as there is less electronics.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Avis decided to give me a recent Mustang instead of the compact car I'd asked for.

It's pretty comfortable inside. Seats are decent, and I really like the steering wheel; the spokes are pretty thin and it's the same thickness all the way around, none of that weird thick grip poo poo where your hands normally sit. Very small airbag which is attractive.

Interior looks good. I like recent Ford interiors, they put this sort of padded rubberish surface everywhere, it looks good and feels nice too. There's real brushed metal on the dash too which looks nice. The center console looks good except for the shifter, which looks and feels like dogshit.

It's a loving automatic, though, and that transmission/engine combo feels like poo poo. "Oh, hey, you want to go? You sure? Maybe? Ok... YEAH that was nice ok let's take it easy now" If you put your foot to the floor it'll get moving after a second. The engine doesn't sound very good either, but maybe that's just from a bunch of other renters abusing it.

Looks good from the outside. It's a rather nice red and I'll say I like the shape too.

Pages late, but that's like old TVRs - it's a safety feature. It's like the car is asking "are you SURE you want to go faster? Oh, okay, you're sure. Let's go!" :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Which seems a little odd to me because feeling the need for a safety feature in a TVR after youve already made the explicit choice to even unlock the door is like deciding that fluorescent yellow frog you just found while strolling the amazon needs a little sticker on its back to double check if its as good to lick as it looks.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Which seems a little odd to me because feeling the need for a safety feature in a TVR after youve already made the explicit choice to even unlock the door is like deciding that fluorescent yellow frog you just found while strolling the amazon needs a little sticker on its back to double check if its as good to lick as it looks.

TVRs are reverse kit cars. You buy one, and then it slowly disassembles itself on your garage floor.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fjelltorsk posted:

ok guys, i need your help.

Drove the Lancia to winter storage, and for some reason i am considering getting a old Range Rover as a winter beater.

Talk me out of it....

Please, i have enough problems

A Rangy would be fewer problems frankly.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
You really dont like Integrales do you ? :D

after three months of gremlins i tend to agree with you, sort of. after having redone every bit of electronics in the car it is actually pretty reliable tho.

but i need something to thinker with this winter, so far 80s rangy, LS1 volvo project or G wagon is what i am considering

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

fjelltorsk posted:

but i need something to thinker with this winter, so far 80s rangy, LS1 volvo project or G wagon is what i am considering

Make sure its G55 AMG.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

fjelltorsk posted:

You really dont like Integrales do you ? :D

after three months of gremlins i tend to agree with you, sort of. after having redone every bit of electronics in the car it is actually pretty reliable tho.

Something something G55 AMG
Seriously though, between the 3 I'd go Chevolvo. But then I don't actually know enough about the G to make proper judgement on it.
E:f,b on the G55 dammit

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

LS1 powered wolvo wagon sounds pretty awesome, where can I find out more?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh god, I've jumped down the rabbit hole for wiring, and all I'm doing is installing a hazard switch in the Beetle.

WHY DOES REMOVING THE 'FASTEN SEAT BELTS' LIGHT (that's burned out anyway) CAUSE A NO-START CONDITION, VW? WHY?!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I think it's funny how a recent ex can walk into a bar, see you, and then walk back out without even taking a seat or having a drink. And then comment on your Facebook status two days later like everything is fine and dandy. Jerk!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

T-Square posted:

I think it's funny how a recent ex can walk into a bar, see you, and then walk back out without even taking a seat or having a drink. And then comment on your Facebook status two days later like everything is fine and dandy. Jerk!

Trade you

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

T-Square posted:

My ex-wife just sent me a text saying "ch2m hill just laid off 1200 workers. Good luck on your job hunt!" She's really making sure I don't feel sad about the divorce for a single nanosecond.

And I looked at the press release from ch2m, and yeah they're reducing their workforce by 1200...globally. Out of over 70,000 employees.

So yeah, I'll trade you too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I probably wouldn't accept casual lovely texts from an ex but that's just me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a weird state of the world when the expensive car can't idle in the cold properly and the pile of poo poo I tossed together runs like a loving champ.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

T-Square posted:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

leica posted:

I probably wouldn't accept casual lovely texts from an ex but that's just me.

I probably wouldn't send catty, vindictive texts to my ex, but that's just me.

I can tell that she expected me to be a weepy, neurotic mess, and the fact that I'm happier now than she's ever seen me is really kinda throwing her for a loop

Edit: for some actual car content, I transferred the title for the 4Runner into my name yesterday. Only the second car that's ever had my name on the title, which makes me feel like a bad car guy. Hopefully I can remedy that in the near future and get my own yard full of lovely, broken cars.

bandman fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 19, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Your ex and mine must be related.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

It's a weird state of the world when the expensive car can't idle in the cold properly and the pile of poo poo I tossed together runs like a loving champ.

I lowered my blood pressure by so much when I bought shittier cars and expected less of them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I lowered my blood pressure by so much when I bought shittier cars and expected less of them.

It's on the agenda. I need to fix a few things and then sell it.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
The $150, 26 year old Subaru has lasted me 4 loving years by me putting oil into it. Not changing the oil, but adding oil when it needs it. I have added oil, and as of last week, beat the everloving piss out of the fuel pump, that's it. It's never given me a problem, because I expect the fucker to go tits up on me at any moment.

E: People are like "Why the gently caress do you drive that hideous heap when you make what you do?" and to that I reply "How much have you spent on your daily driver this year?"

spookykid fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 19, 2014

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

bandman posted:

I probably wouldn't send catty, vindictive texts to my ex, but that's just me.

I can tell that she expected me to be a weepy, neurotic mess, and the fact that I'm happier now than she's ever seen me is really kinda throwing her for a loop

Living well is the best revenge.

Well, aside from, you know, actual revenge.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Remember goons, Starbursts cure heartburn, no poo poo. It's the best witchdoctor thing I've learned in like a decade.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Starbursts are like the only thing that gives me heartburn :iiam:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
My buddy taught me this this last week. He had me eat like 2-3 of them at a time, and abra-cadabra, I was good after 5-6 of them, halving my normal uncomfortable-as-gently caress heartburn/Painful Occasional-GERD timeframe.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We're trying to oust our current "union" president, and it's been an 8-year battle to get him to leave so we can hold a vote to join a new national union. The Southwest Ambulance side of Rural/Metro gets paid more, has payments per-call, gets shift differential, paid lunch, and has better trucks. The PMT side (my side) gets paid less than $10/hour, has lovely trucks, no uniform budget (people's uniforms have holes and are falling apart), no differential, no paid break, etc. Southwest has a contract, PMT's "union" leader refuses to negotiate a contract. It's literally one medic who got himself appointed as a union president years ago, then fucks off and refuses to do anything except keep himself from getting kicked out. He knows just enough law to prevent us voting on a new union.

Well, he did, until today. After a legal battle that has lasted as long as I've been here (February), more than 35 motions and injunctions being filed by him to halt our DoL inquiry (with a judge finally telling him that he can't file any more motions or evidence out of frustration), and a lot of yelling, we finally have a proposed election filing with the DA. In response, the "union" president posted this to his website. He's insane, and apparently doesn't know how to build a website, or post images (that phone screencap :stare:). Finally, we may have a real union and a real contract in what is currently the sixth-highest-turnover-rate EMS agency in the nation.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Truer words....

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Your ex and mine must be related.

We must have the same ex. Or one thats closely related.

I fix the trans leak,loving oval office blows out the front main. the fix is an engine swap, amirite?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For fucks sake the bus I was takin home shut off dead in the water so I walked to the next stop where this was right next to it. Its like a bad joke now

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
:smith:

That's my year in a graffiti. Thanks dude.

E: went back trying to find this:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Dannywilson posted:

:smith:

That's my year in a graffiti. Thanks dude.

Has anybody posted this yet?

It seems to fit the general attitude around here.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Meatpimp i demand reperations for the blatently untrue statements made in your OP

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

I fix the trans leak,loving oval office blows out the front main. the fix is an engine swap, amirite?

Oh the joys of old cars. Its cold and there's snow every where. There is only 2 solutions.

Pack every thing and move
Or
Buy a snowmobile

And I hate packing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its 47 out at 10pm. what snow?

I'm in the middle of moving. maybe thats why it pissed everywhere. 400 miles in 3 days. I've finally crossed the 2000 mile mark since purchase....5 mos ago.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

We're trying to oust our current "union" president, and it's been an 8-year battle to get him to leave so we can hold a vote to join a new national union. The Southwest Ambulance side of Rural/Metro gets paid more, has payments per-call, gets shift differential, paid lunch, and has better trucks. The PMT side (my side) gets paid less than $10/hour,

:crossarms:
You get paid less than $10/hour as an emt? what the gently caress.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
9.60 motherfucker

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

cursedshitbox posted:

30v. :colbert:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

24v. :colbert:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Y'all are hating this year and I can't say it's been the best either, but I just keep pushing through trying to keep positive. I'm like a hairs breadth from a promotion to management before Christmas, and drat it if I have to fake it until I make it then I will convince my brain I'm one happy piece of poo poo if it kills me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah, that.

• Locked thread