Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

BuffaloChicken posted:

Catachan logo:

The best warham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

This is awesome, moreso because I know the pain of converting a Swarmlord from all those metal Tyrant parts. Yours looks baller.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

SRM posted:

The Ravenwing robed legs are separate. The Ravenwing set is the normal bikes with a ravenwing sprue for legs. The Ravenwing Knights set has separate robed legs too, but a different bike altogether. The only ones molded on are in the Dark Vengeance set.

Thanks that was where I was getting hung up on, The Dark Vengeance ones are the ones I want to steer clear of unless I want a bunch of robed White Scars, which I don't.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've made complete Ravenwing squads with them with a little bit of conversion for diversity's sake; only the sergeant's robed. However, they are bedecked with DA iconography, so yeah, steer clear for your White Scars.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So I get this email from GW regarding Space Hulk:

Games Workshop posted:

Many of you have contacted us to say how frustrated you were that our US and Canadian webstores sold out so quickly. We listened, and we have good news!

We’ve managed to get our hands on a small number of copies, and we’ve decided to ship them to our warehouse in Memphis and make them available again for those of you who missed out.

We, the people who make this thing, managed to "get our hands on" a small number of copies of this thing we make, and "managed" to ship them to our primary US distribution hub for those who didn't but it earlier. Oh, you were just so frustrated with the stores being out! well, we managed to snag some of these for you! Go us! Good news! We listened. Give us a cookie and ten dollars.

Seriously, WTF is up with pretending to be a beleaguered retailer?

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 19, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fix posted:

So I get this email from GW regarding Space Hulk:

We, the people who make this thing, managed to "get our hands on" a small number of copies of this thing we make, and "managed" to ship them to our primary US distribution hub for those who didn't but it earlier. Oh, you were just so frustrated with the stores being out! well, we managed to snag some of these for you! Go us! Good news! We listened. Give us a cookie and ten dollars.

Seriously, WTF is up with pretending to be a beleaguered retailer?

My flgs still has a couple copies. Maybe GW bought them back from retailers.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
Am I correct in recalling that the re-released SH didn't do as well as GW expected? I vaguely seem to remember reading that it didn't sell out like its' predecessor had.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Am I correct in recalling that the re-released SH didn't do as well as GW expected? I vaguely seem to remember reading that it didn't sell out like its' predecessor had.
What do you mean? It almost literally was it's predecessor, just with some DLC.
A GOTY edition, if you prefer.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

HiveCommander posted:

What do you mean? It almost literally was it's predecessor, just with some DLC.
A GOTY edition, if you prefer.

No, I know that. I just seemed to recall that this most recent version basically flopped, when GW was clearly expecting it to sell out just like it did in 2008 or 2009 or whenever it was.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Most of the people that wanted it would've bought it back when it was first re-released. Most of the sales would've likely been from people who missed out last time and a select few that thinks that paying for the entire game a second time is worth the extra couple of missions they added since last time.
As much as GW like to think they're masters of boardgames, there's one thing they don't quite understand with the boardgame market; people generally only need to buy the base game once.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cataphract posted:

I remember a similar email recently that must have been for UK/EU folks. Warhammer Fest had a couple of boxes at retail price, and there were a few boxes at a wargaming show I went to a few weeks ago, also at retail. Hopefully no one here got one at 150% retail.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
As a newcomer who barely dabbled with hams back in 3rd ed, I can say it has now become immensely confusing and frustrating to learn and keep track, especially with all these unbound rules and crazy allies among everything else. Glad to see GW are still up to their old tricks!

Also I can't decide if I want a necro army or an IG (sorry, AM :goonsay:)/DA mix or even just a mono DA army. Argh, decisions. Drop pods on tyranids is also tempting but gently caress buying a billion models and trying to paint MC's with my childlike abilities.

What do you guys think would be the most viable/fun in this ed? I enjoy most army's (apart from eldar gently caress elves) but don't want to dive myself into the deep end like I did with Tau when they first hit market and get shat on by invincible flying lightning claw chaplains. Are deathwing termi spams still viable?

Sorry for the rambling brain spew, been a long day! And thanks for all the info already in the thread!

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 19, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Brinner posted:

As a newcomer who barely dabbled with hams back in 3rd ed, I can say it has now become immensely confusing and frustrating to learn and keep track, especially with all these unbound rules and crazy allies among everything else. Glad to see GW are still up to their old tricks!

Also I can't decide if I want a necro army or an IG (sorry, AM :goonsay:)/DA mix or even just a mono DA army. Argh, decisions. Drop pods on tyranids is also tempting but gently caress buying a billion models and trying to paint MC's with my childlike abilities.

What do you guys think would be the most viable/fun in this ed? I enjoy most army's (apart from eldar gently caress elves) but don't want to dive myself into the deep end like I did with Tau when they first hit market and get shat on by invincible flying lightning claw chaplains. Are deathwing termi spams still viable?

Sorry for the rambling brain spew, been a long day! And thanks for all the info already in the thread!

Marines is always a solid start as its relatively low model count and forgiving. Dark angels are bad though, go for standard SM and flavour your green Marines with fluff.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cataphract posted:

Yeah, my guess is they sent unsold copies back from GW retail because it makes more sense to try and shift them through GW D/O.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Lord Twisted posted:

Marines is always a solid start as its relatively low model count and forgiving. Dark angels are bad though, go for standard SM and flavour your green Marines with fluff.

Ah that's a shame. Not viable at all? I'm not really interested in other chapters/stock sm. Are there any rules for deathwatch? A dw/inquisitor army could be fun and fluffy. I could always go chaos but AFAIK they are still getting burnt by GW outside of this new apocalypse deal.

E: Lord the amount of cheese tactics available in 7th ed is amazing. I'm looking forward to some hilarity.

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 19, 2014

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
[quote="Brinner" post=""437873605"Also I can't decide if I want a necro army or an IG (sorry, AM :goonsay:)/DA mix or even just a mono DA army.[/quote"]

We could be seeing a new Necron codex within the next 3-ish months so dont buy into them before then (unless, say, you pick up a really good e-bay deal)

Killgore Trout
Sep 26, 2002

Not a sham.
Anyone have any advice on different effective/fun builds for a renegades and heretics force? The one thing I really don't want to do is have an immobile blob gunline as I did with my first IG army.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

BULBASAUR posted:

You have a few other options:
  • Buy ALL bits and models exclusively on ebay. GW has a lovely policy for their flagship product, but it doesn’t stop bits companies from selling forgeworld bits. With some patience you can score some good deals and there are some already assembled and painted armies that sell at discounts.
  • Buy kits from forgeworld, keep the guns, arms, and legs… and then sell everything else on ebay for a lot of money. This will drive the cost down and you can use cheaper GW plastics for things like the chest and head.
  • Communism

It really depends on which army you want to play and how you want your troopers to look. As you can see from my guys, I am rocking CSM backpacks, chests, and heads with MK3 everything else. This lets me drive the cost down in a lot of clever ways. Playing a conquest era shattered legion, you could easily buy 40 marines from ebay on the cheap and then sprinkle in some forgeworld upgrayedd bits.

If you are hard for some other particular look your options will be much more limited.

Forgot to reply to this, sorry - I'm keeping my options open, I might try converting some of the SM models I got some time ago in a bulk bitz buy and see how they turn out. If they look good after painting then I could easily just buy up 40 or 60 SM troops.

Also, I think I've finally realised I have just too much drat 40K stuff. I have a bunch of DE, a ton of Nids with plans to get some of the new models and a lot of CSM. And of course lots unpainted/projects/unbuilt. With me still experimenting with the new DE codex, yet to try the Covens book, all the new Nids stuff to try AND IA13 to play with...that's just a lot of stuff to have on hand and no real time to use them all equally. And then I have Eldar stuff I'd bought for 6e allies for my DE, they're just sitting around so I might sell them off. My unpainted Daemons stuff I'll keep because summoning is just fun, when I get around to using my CSM again.

I suppose it's just been a really busy year for my chosen armies, and next year will probably be pretty light on new releases, so I'll have time to try the new stuff plus Horus Heresy games. And hopefully more time for gaming in general, so all my tiny dudes may get on the tabletop more.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Brinner posted:

Ah that's a shame. Not viable at all? I'm not really interested in other chapters/stock sm. Are there any rules for deathwatch? A dw/inquisitor army could be fun and fluffy. I could always go chaos but AFAIK they are still getting burnt by GW outside of this new apocalypse deal.

E: Lord the amount of cheese tactics available in 7th ed is amazing. I'm looking forward to some hilarity.

Not completely unviable and the DA codex was fine until the new space marine codex came out. It's just plain better. So much so that people run their dark angel rave wing armies using the White scar rules.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cataphract posted:

Not completely unviable and the DA codex was fine until the new space marine codex came out. It's just plain better. So much so that people run their dark angel rave wing armies using the White scar rules.
Does that mean the other half are back to playing Greywing again?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Brinner posted:

So Necrons are technically one of the oldest books right now, but they're holding up very well. (In fact, I just won a fair-sized tournament running Necrons the other weekend.) They have lots of very efficient units and fancy tricks to play with and they are incredibly resilient in a variety of different ways; however, they are mostly- though not wholly- a shooting army. They rely a lot on their vehicles to function, so if you don't like the look of those you'll be handicapping yourself significantly with them. They are typically all about high-volume high-strength shots with little or no AP value, generally just assuming that if the other guy has to roll enough saves they'll eventually fail some of them. However, the big caveat (as someone else already mentioned) is that they are almost certainly going to see a new codex within the next 3-5 months here, which may totally change how they play and what they do.

IG are pretty much what they've usually been- able to bring cheap bodies and cheap tanks in spades and throwing down lots and lots of shooting. With the right buffs they can be surprisingly good in combat (especially when paired with some sort of Marine allies), but that typically isn't their focus. They get the best heavy tanks and arguably one of the better airplanes in then game still as well as very impressive artillery pieces and probably the cheapest version of just about any given type of unit you'd care to name (psyker, HQ, vehicle, etc.) Their excellent ally options with other armies is a big strength to take advantage of, which they sometimes need to fill some of the gaps in the army. The big downside to IG is the sheer number of models to buy/paint, which can be kind of intimidating. However, if you don't mind the investment of time and money (or you do 3rd party stuff, etc) they're a very solid army, but also one few people have complaints about these days.

Dark Angels can be a pretty decent complement to IG if you are looking to run a big blob of Guardsmen and attach Azrael to it; outside of that, they are pretty weak and don't have a lot going for them, sadly. The Deathwing build is... not terribly impressive right now, for a variety of reasons, but it's not the worst thing in the world and the new edition helped it a little bit. However, as one of the older books around, they also may be getting an update soon after Necrons do (though we can't say for certain), so maybe keep an ear out on that front.

Killgore Trout posted:

Anyone have any advice on different effective/fun builds for a renegades and heretics force? The one thing I really don't want to do is have an immobile blob gunline as I did with my first IG army.

Are you looking at pure Renegades, as an ally to another army (CSM, Daemons) or Renegades primary with another army allied in? All three can work, depending on what you want, but I think as a primary Renegades are best with at least a decent chunk of their army focused on shooting- they are essentially IG, after all. However, when combined with something else they can be a lot more functional as a melee-focused army, so there's some possibilities there. The two big tricks are using Renegade Enforcers with Combat Drugs attached to a blob of dudes (giving them all four attacks each on the charge thanks to Pistol/CCW and Rage) and attaching a CSM combat character to a blob of Plague Zombies to give him protection. They also can bring along a surprisingly-large number of walkers, if you're into that.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Thanks for the write up! Yeah I'm really digging the idea of a scythe heavy necron force, and having an overlord forcing people's pretty IC to punch itself in the head sounds hilarious. Might have to hold off if a new codex is around the corner though , never know what GW is gonna pull out. Anyone still using mass gunlines with crons?

I'm not adverse to painting blobs, although I'd probably wait and see if something popped up on eBay. Australia isn't cheap for models, as I'm sure some people here know. I might just hang out and see what happens on the second hand front, something may come up to tide me over for now. Thanks again.

e: grats on the win! What sort of lineup were you running if you don't mind me asking?

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 19, 2014

Killgore Trout
Sep 26, 2002

Not a sham.

AbusePuppy posted:

Are you looking at pure Renegades, as an ally to another army (CSM, Daemons) or Renegades primary with another army allied in? All three can work, depending on what you want, but I think as a primary Renegades are best with at least a decent chunk of their army focused on shooting- they are essentially IG, after all. However, when combined with something else they can be a lot more functional as a melee-focused army, so there's some possibilities there. The two big tricks are using Renegade Enforcers with Combat Drugs attached to a blob of dudes (giving them all four attacks each on the charge thanks to Pistol/CCW and Rage) and attaching a CSM combat character to a blob of Plague Zombies to give him protection. They also can bring along a surprisingly-large number of walkers, if you're into that.

I have both CSM and Daemons as potential allies. The combat drugs thing is interesting. Can R&H platoon squads combine like AM can?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Has anyone heard any rumours or leaks regarding what this week's release might be by the way? Haven't really picked up any buzz about that on /tg/ so I'm kinda curious if someone here might know something.

I suddenly have an urge to paint more FW than normal 40k models so please someone dissuade me from buying a 5 man troop of Elysians or more Kriegers.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
New Khaine stuff for WHFB End Times I think.

Here's an interesting read from a random blog I was linked to: http://the-responsible-one.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/warhammerfest-conjection-speculation.html basically he speculates on a lot of GW policy stuff but it sounds really plausible, like Tau, Eldar and Daemons being written in the 'old' way and tested against each other, which is why they're really strong, and the new way separates the rules/narrative writers. Interesting!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Killgore Trout posted:

I have both CSM and Daemons as potential allies. The combat drugs thing is interesting. Can R&H platoon squads combine like AM can?

I'd say you're in pretty good shape, then. Renegade Platoons are actually pretty different from IG ones in organization, though the final effect is often similar. Basically, each platoon consists of 3-5 Renegade Infantry squads, which can be 10-20 duders strong. For every five guys in the squad you can take a special weapon (or morale-boosting gear) and for every ten guys in the squad you can take a heavy weapon team. Sergeants are optional 5pt upgrades. One squad per platoon must be designated as a "Command Squad" and gets a few extra bonuses (better sarge, better Vox gear option, etc.)

R&H also have Mutant Rabble for troops, which are squads of 10-40 guys that have a small random bonus and give a penalty to nearby non-mutated units. (You can upgrade your HQs and some other stuff to be mutants as well.) They also get Plague Zombies, which are slightly better than the CSM ones (cheaper, no armor save, better FNP, if they win an assault you can add d3 models to the squad.) You are limited to a single unit of Zombies no matter what, though, and only if you take the right HQ.

Your HQ selection can also up a bunch of different bonuses for other models- for example, better armor, other FoC selections, additional bonuses for horde units (max size 30 on Renegade Infantry, etc) and more.

Brinner posted:

Thanks for the write up! Yeah I'm really digging the idea of a scythe heavy necron force, and having an overlord forcing people's pretty IC to punch itself in the head sounds hilarious. Might have to hold off if a new codex is around the corner though , never know what GW is gonna pull out. Anyone still using mass gunlines with crons?

I'm not adverse to painting blobs, although I'd probably wait and see if something popped up on eBay. Australia isn't cheap for models, as I'm sure some people here know. I might just hang out and see what happens on the second hand front, something may come up to tide me over for now. Thanks again.

e: grats on the win! What sort of lineup were you running if you don't mind me asking?

Night Scythes and Doom Scythes are both pretty excellent vehicles, so it's hard to go wrong in that respect (at least for the time being.) Mindshackle Scarabs is exactly as annoying as you'd imagine it to be, so ditto there. 'Cron gunlines aren't really anything special- a bunch of guys on foot with Bolter-range weapons just can't compare to most of the stuff out there. There's some potential shenanigans with twinned Royal Courts and spamming out a ton of S8 AP2 shots, but it's a relatively middling army overall (although I would probably rank it as playable in a casual context.)

If you want cheap minis and aren't specifically attached to GW product, there are several companies (most notably Wargames Factory and Dreamforge) that make good IG stand-ins for a pretty reasonable price; Mantic also does some, although I can't speak personally about the quality of those ones.

I have a full writeup of the tournament here, but the list itself is pretty simple. Two Overlords on Command Barges with pretty much every upgrade possible, two Royal Courts with a pair of Harbingers of Storm each, two Night Scythes with minimum Warrior units, three Annihilation Barges, and the Tau formation with a Riptide and two units of Broadsides. Basically just gushes S7 shooting at the enemy and uses the Overlords to keep threats away from me/muck about in the enemy backline. That list, or something near to it, has been solid almost since the end of 5th edition, honestly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Ah ok, should've almost expected it to be Fantasy related.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cooked Auto posted:

Ah ok, should've almost expected it to be Fantasy related.

If GW doesn't come out with a new Avatar model with rules in Fantasy (and a round base for 40k) they are really missing the mark. Not that any eldar players would use the avatar over more wave serpents, but you know... for the greybeards.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
The avatar could use a nagash makeover with model and rules.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I doubt they could make one better than the FW avatar

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
The Khaine statue on the back of the cauldron of blood makes a groovy avatar and you can get it for like $15 from bitz sellers.

e:

Most legit Avatar is this guy

It is not an Epic 40k miniature.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I used to play against a guy with that Avatar mounted on the back of a Cold One. It looked like Mario on Yoshi.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Brinner posted:

If you're interested in Guard, the cheapest way to get started outside of second hand etc. is probably to buy two Cadian fist boxes (chimera plus ten men) and then two tanks to use as your HQ. Add more tanks, planes, and artillery to taste. So you'd have two veteran squads in transpots with your HQ tank squad to do the heavy lifting.

The battalion boxes aren't bad either, but if you want to run platoons as troops you'll need two.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Sir Teabag posted:

If you're interested in Guard, the cheapest way to get started outside of second hand etc. is probably to buy two Cadian fist boxes (chimera plus ten men) and then two tanks to use as your HQ. Add more tanks, planes, and artillery to taste. So you'd have two veteran squads in transpots with your HQ tank squad to do the heavy lifting.

The battalion boxes aren't bad either, but if you want to run platoons as troops you'll need two.

There are pretty good savings in the battalion boxes and IG need the numbers, I would just bite the bullet and order 2 Cadian Defence Forces. £150 from Dark Sphere, similar from any other discount retailer. Then you've got enough bodies to field, say, a couple squads in chimeras AND a platoon to protect your tanks, etc.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

krushgroove posted:

Here's an interesting read from a random blog I was linked to: http://the-responsible-one.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/warhammerfest-conjection-speculation.html basically he speculates on a lot of GW policy stuff but it sounds really plausible, like Tau, Eldar and Daemons being written in the 'old' way and tested against each other, which is why they're really strong, and the new way separates the rules/narrative writers. Interesting!

I think this article really highlights the fundamental misunderstanding GW has of the game it's making, and really makes me concerned about the future of the game. I don't mind that GW wants their game to have a narrative, but I think that focusing on "Narrative" aspects of the gameplay hurts the game far more than it helps it. Any game can have a narrative-the last game of I played of Flames of War, I lead an American tank company against a dug-in company of Finns around a bridge. It was fun, it was memorable, and the "Narrative" around the battle evolved naturally. By contrast, trying to force each game to tell a story, as opposed to working out the game's many balance issues, just makes people remember the frustration of playing against a broken army or rules arguments far more vividly than whatever imaginary theatrics their models carried out. It doesn't help either that the article outright states that GW isn't looking on changing much with future codexes, which worries me even more. What's the point of even bothering to update the Codex, which only occurs once in several years, if you're not going to give people a new reason to play that army? I was disappointed with the Guard release because they didn't bother fixing the book's issues, and instead just changed around some points costs and added two new vehicles Guard didn't need and nobody asked for. Guard got out okay because the book already had a strong foundation, but it doesn't make me thrilled about what they're going to do with future codexes that are on a more shaky foundation.

It's been brought up in this thread before, but I can understand why most people who work at GW don't want to engage with the community. It's large, divided, and for the most part highly toxic. The problem is, however, that at the end of the day GW is a publicly traded company that's trying to sell its products to consumers, and by refusing to engage with the people they're trying to sell to they're just going to keep losing market share to companies that do have a balance/tournament focus, do give people a reason to be excited with new releases, and do keep up with community wants and needs. If they're not even going to bother updating the FAQ or trying to address the most egregious balance issues, then really, why should I bother keeping up with the game?

At least Forge World's still cool. Gonna send them a letter about my disappointing experience with the Destroyer Tank Hunter later, since allegedly they actually listen to feedback. Shame the core company can't learn from their offshoot!

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 19, 2014

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There's nothing inherent in a rules-balanced or tightly designed game that prevents, precludes or minimizes a narrative. Designing "for" a narrative should in no way mean worse rules balancing, and usually having a tighter ruleset creates more interesting situations as opposed to "and then the Tau shot everything to pieces and won the day yet again". It also means more units (and therefore $models$) being useful and seeing play and being more effective and fun instead of dividing armies into must-buys and leave-outs.

And yes, some players will run them anyway and "forge the narrative". That's great for them. Let's make that exact thing easier to do for everyone else whose frustration tolerances aren't quite that high.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Goddamn, I'm really digging this Apology supplement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think this article really highlights the fundamental misunderstanding GW has of the game it's making, and really makes me concerned about the future of the game. I don't mind that GW wants their game to have a narrative, but I don't think that focusing on "Narrative" aspects of the gameplay hurts the game far more than it helps it. Any game can have a narrative-the last game of I played of Flames of War, I lead an American tank company against a dug-in company of Finns around a bridge. It was fun, it was memorable, and the "Narrative" around the battle evolved naturally. By contrast, trying to force each game to tell a story, as opposed to working out the game's many balance issues, just makes people remember the frustration of playing against a broken army or rules arguments far more vividly than whatever imaginary theatrics their models carried out. It doesn't help either that the article outright states that GW isn't looking on changing much with future codexes, which worries me even more. What's the point of even bothering to update the Codex, which only occurs once in several years, if you're not going to give people a new reason to play that army? I was disappointed with the Guard release because they didn't bother fixing the book's issues, and instead just changed around some points costs and added two new vehicles Guard didn't need and nobody asked for. Guard got out okay because the book already had a strong foundation, but it doesn't make me thrilled about what they're going to do with future codexes that are on a more shaky foundation.

It's been brought up in this thread before, but I can understand why most people who work at GW don't want to engage with the community. It's large, divided, and for the most part highly toxic. The problem is, however, that at the end of the day GW is a publicly traded company that's trying to sell its products to consumers, and by refusing to engage with the people they're trying to sell to they're just going to keep losing market share to companies that do have a balance/tournament focus, do give people a reason to be excited with new releases, and do keep up with community wants and needs. If they're not even going to bother updating the FAQ or trying to address the most egregious balance issues, then really, why should I bother keeping up with the game?

At least Forge World's still cool. Gonna send them a letter about my disappointing experience with the Destroyer Tank Hunter later, since allegedly they actually listen to feedback. Shame the core company can't learn from their offshoot!

GW is a publicly traded company that doesn't even externally focus test its rules

"We all play the game a lot!" - GW balance team

• Locked thread