Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I really really miss mouse aiming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Bee posted:

Speaking of the Gurdy family, thoughts on the Gurdlings and Mama Gurdy? The former seem kinda annoying but weak enough to be not so troubling when they start filling floors on later levels, and I haven't encountered Mama enough to really make any assumptions.

Gurdlings are horrible little jerks. I mean the actual fight with them isn't bad but they love to show up on later floors in really small rooms where its difficult to avoid their creep trails. Mama is a complete joke if you have flight and even if you don't not that dangerous provided there isn't so much poo poo surrounding your character that you can actually see the spikes.

Gurdy Jr. is probably the worst of the bunch/

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Gurdlings are a good way to gauge how well your run is going. By the time they start showing up as regular enemies, if you can take them down easily you're probably in good shape to finish strong. If you're still having trouble with them, you might be underpowered.

EDIT: I had a lot more trouble with Gurdy in the original game and she's been made a bit more fair here. Her spread shot isn't as wide or as speedy so you can more reliably go around it rather than having to weave through, which was always the part that got me. (The old strat of "get behind her and fire down" never worked for me. I always ended up getting murdered by flies I couldn't see.)

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 19, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I just had my hard mode ??? run ruined by a room I'd never seen in Womb before. It featured narrow walkways lined with spikes, and in the middle of the room were 4 rotating eyeball turrets with a bunch of suckers. The only enemies in the room were a ton of mom hands which I couldn't see because of a darkness curse.

:wtc: You think that's enough bullshit for one room?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

So I just had my hard mode ??? run ruined by a room I'd never seen in Womb before. It featured narrow walkways lined with spikes, and in the middle of the room were 4 rotating eyeball turrets with a bunch of suckers. The only enemies in the room were a ton of mom hands which I couldn't see because of a darkness curse.

:wtc: You think that's enough bullshit for one room?

I kinda feel like there are some rooms that are unique to hard mode. I had one in the Depths today that I haven't seen in like 100 normal runs. A one wide by two tall room with a big pit on the right side of it with "islands" of red Monstros on there that wouldn't jump, just shoot at you as you passed by.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

The Bee posted:

Anyone complaining about Dingle when Gurdy "No Telegraph No Animation Just Open Mouth and Ping-Pong Around Room" Jr. is in this game honestly confuses me.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think Gurdy Jr. starts off by always spawning a minion before dashing. After he's down to half(?) his health, he drops the spawn act and dashes all the time. I think the red champions dash more often, though.

I always found it rather easy to stay horizontally aligned with him while keeping my distance. When he dashes, step up/down and he'll keep bouncing horizontally, usually killing his spawn as well. Having more than one in a room makes everything terrible, though.

Mind you, I'm not saying Gurdy Jr. isn't an annoying gently caress because he totally is.

AnonSpore posted:

gently caress you forever game

gently caress you

That is mad impressive, congrats man. :golfclap:

So what's your secret? Mad dodging skills or crazy overpowered items?

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
I made a Python script to read the log.txt that the game generates and dump just the RNG seeds, which characters you played as, and the pedestal items you picked up. I don't really know Python and haven't done programming in general in years so this is really sloppy but it works and it's an easy way to share your run with someone else.

http://www.filedropper.com/isaaclogreader
This includes the original script as well as a 32-bit .exe. You need to put it in your Rebirth save directory so it can find log.txt.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The wiki page for the goat head says

" Gives the player a half of a heart every 13 grubs stepped on. "

What the hell is a grub?

Also to someone who said something earlier about devil rooms sometimes disappearing after leaving and sometimes not, I think they only stay open after you leave if you have the goat head.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 19, 2014

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

drunken officeparty posted:

The wiki page for the goat head says

" Gives the player a half of a heart every 13 grubs stepped on. "

What the hell is a grub?

I noticed in a let's play that you can kill the tiny flies in the Caves. They're so small you think they're just part of the background. I've seen tiny grubs... just never tried squishing them.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

drunken officeparty posted:

Also to someone who said something earlier about devil rooms sometimes disappearing after leaving and sometimes not, I think they only stay open after you leave if you have the goat head.
That happens with or without the goat head, there's just a chance each time you leave the devil room or the boss room that the devil door will be gone. In the original game the only way to get a devil/angel room after the Mom fight was to teleport out of the boss room then walk back in and hope you got the devil room AND the door happened to stay open.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Wugga posted:

That is mad impressive, congrats man. :golfclap:

So what's your secret? Mad dodging skills or crazy overpowered items?

Both, and 200+ deaths and at least five times as many resets.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I uhhhh. Wow. In the original game I never beat satan, ever. And I hadn't even tried here. But I get to mom's womb and there's a heaven gate. I ascended a beam of light, something I did not know could happen (was that possible pre wrath of the lamb?) There were angels and ghosts and after about fifteen bosses I beat heaven? Is that harder or easier than satan? I didn't get hit by the final boss once but I'm pretty sure I'd have gotten stomped to poo poo by giant goat hooves if I had gone the other way.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

AnonSpore posted:

Both, and 200+ deaths and at least five times as many resets.

What's your reset strategy? I've been resetting if the first floor had a curse of darkness and if the first item room had a useless item. It doesn't have to be a great item, but if it's an HP up, on-hit effect, or item that hurts you when you use it, I just cut that run off immediately.

Krinkle posted:

I uhhhh. Wow. In the original game I never beat satan, ever. And I hadn't even tried here. But I get to mom's womb and there's a heaven gate. I ascended a beam of light, something I did not know could happen (was that possible pre wrath of the lamb?) There were angels and ghosts and after about fifteen bosses I beat heaven? Is that harder or easier than satan? I didn't get hit by the final boss once but I'm pretty sure I'd have gotten stomped to poo poo by giant goat hooves if I had gone the other way.

That's confusing. The Cathedral certainly doesn't involve any giant goat hooves. Was the place you were in blue and white, or black? If it was black, that was Sheol and you did beat Satan. Congrats! Satan was easier in the first game, but is harder in this one. Anyway, once you've beaten Mom's Heart enough times you will always get an entrance to Sheol and an entrance to the Cathedral. It's possible you walked into the beam of light so fast that your momentum caused you to slide right into the trapdoor.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ariong posted:

That's confusing. The Cathedral certainly doesn't involve any giant goat hooves. Was the place you were in blue and white, or black? If it was black, that was Sheol and you did beat Satan. Congrats! Satan was easier in the first game, but is harder in this one. Anyway, once you've beaten Mom's Heart enough times you will always get an entrance to Sheol and an entrance to the Cathedral. It's possible you walked into the beam of light so fast that your momentum caused you to slide right into the trapdoor.

Read it again. He's describing the Cathedral, and said if he had gone the other way (i.e. Down, instead of up the beam of light) he would have been killed by Satan (stomped by goat hooves).

And yes Krinkle, all this was in the first game (at least, it was once the Wrath of the Lamb expansion came out).

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ariong posted:

What's your reset strategy? I've been resetting if the first floor had a curse of darkness and if the first item room had a useless item. It doesn't have to be a great item, but if it's an HP up, on-hit effect, or item that hurts you when you use it, I just cut that run off immediately.

I just held down R until there was an item room connected to spawn, checked, only continued if the item was potentially game-winningly strong (mom's knife, mutant spider, holy mantle, pyromaniac, etc.). If there was a curse room connected to spawn I'd check that first, on the off chance I'd get dead cat/collar. Didn't care about curses for the first level, except Cellar XL which was a reset.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

overall i'd say it's probably a little bit easier to snowball into something great in rebirth but there's also a lot of times where the game is more than happy to curbstomp you with no remorse. also the fun part is that there's nowhere else to go but up as far as difficulty goes because there's actually room for dlc stuff in the future without the game itself imploding.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
checking the curse room for a dead cat only works if you get curse of the maze too because otherwise you'll die trying to exit the curse room and be put right back in there.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

AHungryRobot posted:

checking the curse room for a dead cat only works if you get curse of the maze too because otherwise you'll die trying to exit the curse room and be put right back in there.

Actually, for some reason you die and respawn in the room the first death, but on the second death you respawn outside. I dunno why.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
that's weird, because i'm definitely sure i've exhausted all my lives trying to get out of a curse after getting the dead cat in one.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
i just tried and you're right, i spawned outside after dying once. what the gently caress.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Judas run just went mental with Guppy mode, Hive Mind, Holy Mantle and Sacred Heart on top of some pretty deece damage ups. The speed at which things die is just :catstare:

Just rolled into It Lives, immediately activated my Book of Belial and it died instantly. As in, my finger hadn't even left the space bar yet, no shots fired, it just exploded. VF92 H6Y2 if anyone wants a try. There's a lot of Health and Luck Up pills in there as well.

e: Destroyed Isaac before he could finish his Angel animation :v:

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 19, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Did a victory lap and got the most broken build I've ever had or probably ever will have.

That's Godhead, proptosis, Cricket's body, guppy, money is power, shielded tears, and a shitton of other damage/tear ups. I finished the boss rush in less than a minute just standing in the middle jiggling my stick left to right; the blue baby died before he actually got up from the ground. :stare:

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 19, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Does Brimstone synergize with Tech 2 at all?

e: Nvm, wiki helped here. Brimstone just overwrites it, which is sad but no unexpected.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 19, 2014

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Magres posted:

The trick to getting range on the hairball is to keep it swinging. You should always be moving in small circles to keep it fully extended, and swing it like a mace. Think of it like a ball and chain weapon - you gotta keep it swinging to keep it extended until the opportune moment and then slam it into whatever you're fighting.

Don't try to just run up from a full stop to whatever and slap it with your hairball, you have to wait for your opportune moment where the front swing of your hairball lines up with a moment where you can step forward to slam it into the face of whatever is getting near you.

It's hard to explain, but really the trick is to constantly walk in small circles to keep the ball moving. I cleared Cat Got Your Tongue on my first try with nothing spectacular for items - possibly even bad items (no speed ups, no HP ups, I don't think I ever got a soul or devil heart, no brimstone or dark bum or anything that trivializes the no-tear challenges) and cleared it comfortably. Once you kill a couple enemies with the hairball and it gets big it does tons of damage to anything it touches. A good swipe at one of the doors on Mom was knocking off 20-25% of her HP once my hairball was fully charged. The worst part of the floor is fighting enemies that die to a tap from the ball and a fly before you get any corpses added to your hairball - fly kills don't build your hairball and building up your hairball is vital to clearing floors.

This weekend I'll make a short video/gif showing what I mean about small circles to keep it swinging.

The video/gif will be tremendously helpful, and thank you for the advice. Thanks to everyone else who weighed in as well. This challenge is still incredible bullshit, but at least it feels doable now.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
Thank you RNG for cooperating with me so I could get the Satan/Dark Room unlocks for the Lost. I shouldn't have taken Experimental Treatment because it hurt my damage, but it didn't really matter because Lil Brimstome + the Candle + flies did most of the work.

quote:

Seed: NRGJ SXAF
The Lost
Holy Mantle, Cube of Meat, Guppy's Head, Speed Ball, Goat Head, Headless Baby, Lil' Brimstone, Punching Bag, Red Candle, Cube of Meat, Dead Cat, A Dollar, Mystery Sack, Brother Bobby, A Lump of Coal, Black Candle, Deck of Cards, Red Candle, Bob's Rotten Head, Red Candle, Old Bandage, Crystal Ball, Red Candle, D4, Red Candle, Starter Deck, The Negative, Guppy's Paw, Red Candle, Guppy's Collar, Experimental Treatment, Skatole, Ceremonial Robes, Guppy's Tail, Sister Maggy, D10, Red Candle, Satanic Bible, Red Candle, Bobs Curse, Spiderbaby, Sagittarius, Ouija Board

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Nastyman posted:

Judas run just went mental with Guppy mode, Hive Mind, Holy Mantle and Sacred Heart on top of some pretty deece damage ups. The speed at which things die is just :catstare:

Just rolled into It Lives, immediately activated my Book of Belial and it died instantly. As in, my finger hadn't even left the space bar yet, no shots fired, it just exploded. VF92 H6Y2 if anyone wants a try. There's a lot of Health and Luck Up pills in there as well.

e: Destroyed Isaac before he could finish his Angel animation :v:
Yeah nothing comes close to the insta-kill power of getting guppy + infestation II with BFF. The spider army tends to dwindle by the time you reach dark room, but if you are already in the 1-2 shotting bosses with mom's knife/brimstone territory you reach that criticality point where you are generating guppy flies faster then they are able to kill monstro II's. So you just continue amassing an ever-increasing number of flies that deal 3x your current damage value until you run into the boss and the game ends. Or mega-satan, but you'll never fight mega-satan on your most overpowered runs anyways because that requires taking lovely-rear end angel deals.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Getting Curse of the Unknown in the Dark Room or Chest is probably one of the cruelest jokes this game can play on you. I had the Wafer protecting me in the Dark Room, but I honestly don't know how close I was to dying. That's not a side effect of the Breath of Life, is it? I picked it up for the first time in the Angel Room in Sheol thanks to a lucky Joker drop.

Pisces is definitely MVP in that run. The extra knockback is enough to cancel a lot of monster charging attacks.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
I love reflexively grabbing the Polaroid and then remembering I was going for a Dark Room unlock. I wish the game would just let you keep going past Isaac/Satan regardless of which item you took if you have both of them unlocked.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
If I pick up Dead Cat as ???, will I lose all my soul hearts but one?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Kurtofan posted:

If I pick up Dead Cat as ???, will I lose all my soul hearts but one?

Yes

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Wow so I just had a run that really revealed the limits of tear item synergies. First off I was using the scythes, then I picked up the shield tears which returned my tears to normal. They still retained the penetration effect of the scythes but the tears lost some radius and didn't look as good. It felt like a downgrade. Then to top this all off, I picked up technology, which just gave me the bog standard beam and completely removed the shielding effect! It was almost like a total reset except for a few damage ups. I was really hoping a couple of these items would go together.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I've got everything except Bandage Girl and the Hard Mode babies pretty much. Decide to try a Hard Mode Eden run. I start off with the white pony and the stopwatch. I thought the stopwatch was going to be a spacebar item but no, literally all enemies and their projectiles are in slow motion forever. I didn't get hit a single time on my way to Mom's Heart, that item is loving ridiculous.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

I've got everything except Bandage Girl and the Hard Mode babies pretty much. Decide to try a Hard Mode Eden run. I start off with the white pony and the stopwatch. I thought the stopwatch was going to be a spacebar item but no, literally all enemies and their projectiles are in slow motion forever. I didn't get hit a single time on my way to Mom's Heart, that item is loving ridiculous.

Yeah but the thing is that the enemies it doesn't really work that well against are some of the hardest, especially if you're playing The Lost.

That said yeah it is ludicrously powerful.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Does Brimstone synergize with Tech 2 at all?

e: Nvm, wiki helped here. Brimstone just overwrites it, which is sad but no unexpected.

I forget which it is but you can use either Tech 1 or 0.5 with Brimstone, it'll just constantly fire as you charge.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Sanctum posted:

Yeah nothing comes close to the insta-kill power of getting guppy + infestation II with BFF. The spider army tends to dwindle by the time you reach dark room, but if you are already in the 1-2 shotting bosses with mom's knife/brimstone territory you reach that criticality point where you are generating guppy flies faster then they are able to kill monstro II's. So you just continue amassing an ever-increasing number of flies that deal 3x your current damage value until you run into the boss and the game ends. Or mega-satan, but you'll never fight mega-satan on your most overpowered runs anyways because that requires taking lovely-rear end angel deals.

What, exactly, does Guppy mode do anyway? I've never really paid attention to it except for the few times I've lucked into it. I know it adds flying and basically makes you a furry little killing machine, but what are the specifics?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nastyman posted:

What, exactly, does Guppy mode do anyway? I've never really paid attention to it except for the few times I've lucked into it. I know it adds flying and basically makes you a furry little killing machine, but what are the specifics?

Pretty sure it's just flying and a massively buffed version of The Mulligan, making nearly every shot that hits spawn an attack fly.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Pretty sure it's just flying and a massively buffed version of The Mulligan, making nearly every shot that hits spawn an attack fly.

I think it might flat out be every fly upgrade packed into one because I always seem to have loads of them even if I've barely killed anything.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I finally got the Dead Cat with The Lost after what I estimate to be around 300 failed runs and/or resets, only to run into The Fallen as Depths 1 boss and be unable to outrun his charge. :negative:

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Well then. From a win streak of 8 to -5 in under 2 minutes. I love The Lost.

e: wow imgur what are you doing to my colours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Got the D6 :toot:

Pretty good run, Cathedral was made tense by curse of the unknown.