Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
This food derail is getting old, let's see what's some LIFEHAX:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Tiggum posted:

I always thought "jelly" was just what Americans called jam. :aaa:

It basically is. Most folks know that technically there's a difference, but if someone asked for jelly at a restaurant and were given jam, preserves, or even marmalade (depending on the person), it'd be fine.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Mouse Dresser posted:

It basically is. Most folks know that technically there's a difference, but if someone asked for jelly at a restaurant and were given jam, preserves, or even marmalade (depending on the person), it'd be fine.

I do not know the difference between any of these except jelly is short for gelatine which is made from animal.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Jelly is like jam but without the chunks of fruit

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Karma Monkey posted:

Mostly I just want to state for the record that people that say "adorbs" should be smacked. Hard.

Is it okay if I only say it when I am being a sarcastic, mocking son of a bitch?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
There is a thread already for talking about gross food. In this same forum. There's your lifehack.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Oraculum Animi posted:

I do not know the difference between any of these except jelly is short for gelatine which is made from animal.

Gelatin is made from animal bones, but jelly is set with pectin which naturally occurs in citrus and apples. Marmalade is cooked down citrus with the peel intact. Preserves and jam are the most interchangeable though preserves are generally whole fruit.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ladron posted:

Koreans eat sweet potatoes all the loving time, on loving everything, including pizza.
The stuff that Koreans stuff themselves with, "Goguma," is a yam variant. It's a lot less sweet than American sweet potatoes and a lot more umami, plus they fluff up way more when baked.

quote:

It's vile.

WRONG

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Why would bakery bread not be sliced?

Because several types of fresh bread you can buy from a bakery come unsliced? Is this really something you have never seen before.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

Oraculum Animi posted:

Plus I can't jelly my dick into your rear end.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CerealCrunch posted:

Plus I can't jelly my dick into your rear end.

I disagree.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Hmm, I need an emoticon that combines :golfclap: with :mmmhmm:

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Karma Monkey posted:

:pervert:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tiggum posted:

Lifehack: most grocery store and stand alone bakeries have a bread slicing machine and will slice a loaf to whatever thickness you prefer, free of charge!

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Karma Monkey posted:

ABRACADABRA!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Noyemi K posted:

This food derail is getting old, let's see what's some LIFEHAX:

Using programs properly by utilizing features written in their code is a truest lifehack.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wandle Cax posted:

Because several types of fresh bread you can buy from a bakery come unsliced? Is this really something you have never seen before.

I've never seen a bakery without a bread slicer. Pre-packaged supermarket bread often comes unsliced, but if you're getting it straight from the bakery they can just slice it for you right then and there.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Using programs properly by utilizing features written in their code is a truest lifehack.

I was always partial to "purchase a product and use it for its intended purpose."

Need to de-vein some celery? Buy this $450 celery de-veiner from SkyMall. #hacked

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Lifehack: a PB&J is basically a slice of cake.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Because it goes stale much faster when it's sliced, since more of it is exposed to air.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The_White_Crane posted:

Because it goes stale much faster when it's sliced, since more of it is exposed to air.

That's a reason someone might choose to buy unsliced bread, but The Door Frame was suggesting that people don't buy bread from the bakery because they do want it sliced. If you go to a bakery and you want sliced bread, you just buy it that way. It's one of the advantages of a bakery, you get to choose.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

EXAKT Science posted:

Is your butter cold? Don't bother nuking it for five seconds, or just leaving it out on the counter, just make a custom knife out of a bore pump!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Butter-Knife-for-Spreading-Cold-Hard-Butter/

Ok, even if you were going to do this, which you shouldn't because it's stupid and terrible, why wouldn't you just drill holes into a regular butter knife? Why would you make an entirely new knife out of a machine that I've never heard of, that is probably much more expensive than any other solution to this problem that already has dozens of easy solutions? I have no idea what a bore pump is, and I refuse to learn, but on ebay they go for around 150 earth dollars each and I assume that cutting chunks out of them ruins them.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It is dumb, but he just used the bore pump because it was the nearest thick steel scrap he had left laying around.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The whole point of that is that it scrapes thin curls of butter off the cold butter, which you can easily do if your knife has any kind of scalloping or serration at all.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The whole point of that is that it scrapes thin curls of butter off the cold butter, which you can easily do if you have any life skills whatsoever and know how to use cutlery, not just the internet.

ftfy

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I bet he has enough of that pump housing left to build a special vessel for keeping olive oil in the freezer.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

ChipNDip posted:

My shithole rust belt town of 60,000 has TWO local bakeries that put delicious, Corn-syrup-and-sugar-free white and wheat sliced loaves at the local grocery stores. #Lifehack, check your chain grocery stores for local products

This. Retards complaining about the presence of one kind of thing while completely ignoring other kind of thing 5 feet away, or *gasp* a short drive away. I've lived all over the NE and SE and NEVER had trouble finding good bread.

Lifehack: look at all the bread choices instead of just the very first one you see, if that one makes you mad

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Noyemi K posted:

However, when it comes to the foreign hate against american cheese, it is very much justified, because that poo poo is awful.

:goonsay:

Do you mean American Cheese, the pasteurized sliced squares, or cheese made in America? Two very different things. I'm going to guess you've never been to an actual American grocery store. I understand they tend to terrify and depress Europeans due to the large variety of items, and the low prices. It's ok though, with some effort on your part, you might be able to overcome your bowel liquefying terror, and come see that, much like beer, a wide variety of cheeses are made in the US.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Pauline Kael posted:

:goonsay:

Do you mean American Cheese, the pasteurized sliced squares, or cheese made in America? Two very different things. I'm going to guess you've never been to an actual American grocery store. I understand they tend to terrify and depress Europeans due to the large variety of items, and the low prices. It's ok though, with some effort on your part, you might be able to overcome your bowel liquefying terror, and come see that, much like beer, a wide variety of cheeses are made in the US.

Of course they mean American Cheese the sliced squares you goddamn goober.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

kazil posted:

Of course they mean American Cheese the sliced squares you goddamn goober.

There are literally hundreds of varieties of cheese at any normal American grocery store. Why the obsessive focus on one of them, that's really intended as food for children? Oh wait, of course, never mind. They probably carry the wrong kind of anime too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pauline Kael posted:

I'm going to guess you've never been to an actual American grocery store. I understand they tend to terrify and depress Europeans due to the large variety of items, and the low prices.
Speaking as a European, I went to a Walgreen's once, and I'm convinced it is conceptually a store for stoners. Entire large supermarkets over here don't have that much goddamn snacks and soda.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Pauline Kael posted:

There are literally hundreds of varieties of cheese at any normal American grocery store. Why the obsessive focus on one of them, that's really intended as food for children? Oh wait, of course, never mind. They probably carry the wrong kind of anime too.

Anime and cheese are a lot alike. Some kinds might seem really disgusting and gross, but if you put yourself in the right frame of mind they're still perfectly palatable.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

My Lovely Horse posted:

Speaking as a European, I went to a Walgreen's once, and I'm convinced it is conceptually a store for stoners. Entire large supermarkets over here don't have that much goddamn snacks and soda.

Speaking as an American, I do not disagree with this.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Pauline Kael posted:

I am saying this as probably one American to another, but American Cheese is not something to take national pride in.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

My Lovely Horse posted:

Visited a 7/11 in NJ, pretty sure it had more junk food then all the supermarkets and shops in this /entire Welsh town combined/.
It was glorious. Hotdogs at 3AM.

Lifehack: Move to the US and get excellent junk food 24/7 (like a animal).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO has a new favorite as of 14:24 on May 8, 2016

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

wipeout posted:

Visited a 7/11 in NJ, pretty sure it had more junk food then all the supermarkets and shops in this /entire Welsh town combined/.
It was glorious. Hotdogs at 3AM.

Lifehack: Move to the US and get excellent junk food 24/7 (like an animal).

You missed out if you went to 7/11 instead of a Wawa. They make a lot more than just hot dogs.

I miss Wawa :(

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

kazil posted:

I am saying this as probably one American to another, but American Cheese is not something to take national pride in.

Yeah, I don't like or eat American Cheese. My children do. I prefer extra sharp cheddar, or a nice asiago. The point is, complaining about a particular variety of cheese when there are literally hundreds of others available is pretty much goonsay.txt

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Pauline Kael posted:

everything I've posted today

Dude chill the gently caress out

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

booshi posted:

You missed out if you went to 7/11 instead of a Wawa. They make a lot more than just hot dogs.

I miss Wawa :(

Couldn't find one in Green Brook :( I would be so unspeakably vast if I lived in the US.

..... soon......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

kazil posted:

I always thought American cheese was really gross and stuck mostly to mozzarella or provolone for sandwiches, but someone convinced me to try Boars Head American cheese a few years ago and I was really surprised at how... good it tasted. I'd still go for pretty much any other cheese over it, but compared to the usual lovely Kraft singles that are basically a national embarrassment, it was awesome.