Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
MTGO is just fine, the new client is getting better (but still not as good as it should be for all the $$ I give Wizards) and it is pretty great to be able to play Magic whenever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
MTGO is awesome, it gives you two chances to win PTQs, what could possibly be better?

Also, to be fair, for all the problems that crop up in MTGO their reimbursement program is really, really good. I don't think I have EVER had a request denied even when the problem was partially my fault. They seem to have the philosophy of "it's not like we have to print anything to reimburse people so just do it if it's at all reasonable".

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 19, 2014

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I love PucaTrade. Turned a bunch of RtR casual/commander stuff I had into two LOTV, and other lesser stuff for BGx modern.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Madmarker posted:

It was a very good part, but would she have even been run in monoblue if she wasnt also a conditional 5/5?

Magic discussion has a terrible habit of trying to distill cards into single elements even though a lot of good cards are a sum of their parts i.e. Thassa is not just a scry 1, but a way to get damage in and sometimes a beatstick, and no one of those is as good as all of those.

I'm not sure if it's a consequence of trying to imagine if a card is still functional in a worse-case scenario or what.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Funkstar Deluxe posted:

Does MTGO still suck? I haven't played on MTGO for almost a year.

I might be the only person ITT and in the world who has no qualms about MTGO. I just play my standard deck for practice in the "Tournament Practice" room and a couple EDH decks (lol) but I've never had one issue or any complaints where it wouldn't allow me to do something or crash out.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Its fantastic for grinding out completely sets of cards. We cashed out 4 sets of Theros and are about to do the same with Khans. The value online is less than half of the total paper set value, even with the redemption fees.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Emerson Cod posted:

Its fantastic for grinding out completely sets of cards. We cashed out 4 sets of Theros and are about to do the same with Khans. The value online is less than half of the total paper set value, even with the redemption fees.

I did this too last season to buy into paper standard, cashed out all my rtr-bng and have just sold off all the stuff I didn't give a poo poo about, to use for later sets.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sotar posted:

I love PucaTrade. Turned a bunch of RtR casual/commander stuff I had into two LOTV, and other lesser stuff for BGx modern.

I think it's been posted before, but is there a trick to using it? I can never seem to find matches for cards (although it's possible my collection is just too lovely.)

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Boxman posted:

I think it's been posted before, but is there a trick to using it? I can never seem to find matches for cards (although it's possible my collection is just too lovely.)
Well the first thing to do is make sure auto matching is on and filtered to just the US. The second part is just keeping a close eye on the available trade screen - big money cards get snatched pretty quick for KTK, and older trades are less common, partly because less people are looking for modern cards, partly because they tend to be more expensive and people don't have the points for them yet. I think it has slow down a bit the last few weeks as people finished their standard decks - I've gotten about 10k points but the first 8000 took as long as the last 2000.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I just want to add that I am another one of those rare birds for whom MTGO seems to work just fine. I've been playing semi-regularly for three weeks now and have yet to encounter of the common bugs that people ITT are experiencing. The only complaint I have so far is indeed that people take a loooong time to do anything sometimes, but that's easy to write off as fellow newbies; I just wish there was an action timer like there is a game timer, 20 seconds to pass priority or a flashing warning after you've let it sit there untouched or something. Then again that might not be workable just based on how MtG plays out in an actual game.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Jonked posted:

Well the first thing to do is make sure auto matching is on and filtered to just the US. The second part is just keeping a close eye on the available trade screen - big money cards get snatched pretty quick for KTK, and older trades are less common, partly because less people are looking for modern cards, partly because they tend to be more expensive and people don't have the points for them yet. I think it has slow down a bit the last few weeks as people finished their standard decks - I've gotten about 10k points but the first 8000 took as long as the last 2000.

Yeah you basically have to spend like a 1/2 hour refreshing the trade screen from like 6 P.M. - 6:30 P.M. Also, be sure to list every card that would be worth sending (for me I only send out cards worth 200 or more points). Just spend a night going through your rares and picking out what cards you want to send out.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The Check4Change Firefox extension also helps a lot for PucaTrade.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I think it is also helped that PucaTrade has been getting more and more users over the last couple months. It has really been gathering momentum.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

stinkles1112 posted:

I just want to add that I am another one of those rare birds for whom MTGO seems to work just fine. I've been playing semi-regularly for three weeks now and have yet to encounter of the common bugs that people ITT are experiencing. The only complaint I have so far is indeed that people take a loooong time to do anything sometimes, but that's easy to write off as fellow newbies; I just wish there was an action timer like there is a game timer, 20 seconds to pass priority or a flashing warning after you've let it sit there untouched or something. Then again that might not be workable just based on how MtG plays out in an actual game.

Sometimes that delay might be them taking 5 seconds to make a decision and then 15 seconds of lag.

The program is ok on my desktop gaming rig, although there is a memory leak and I have to restart the program periodically to rest things if I'm playing a really long event. It is completely unplayable on my laptop at this point, it takes 6-8 seconds from when I click a land to when it appears in play.

Maybe it's an incompatibility with Windows 8, which is a system I loathe but am stuck with since 7 isn't compatible with the super high resolution touchscreen :eng99: (first world problems, computer edition....)

EDIT: That said, finish your laughably long weekly down-time and come back so I can cuuuuuuuuuube.....

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Emerson Cod posted:

You could have had paper sets of KtK for $200 at release. The set is still over $100 on MODO before redemption costs. This doesn't check out.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Magic Online and Cube is up right now ahead of schedule.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Toshimo posted:

You could have had paper sets of KtK for $200 at release. The set is still over $100 on MODO before redemption costs. This doesn't check out.

Sorry, total set value of singles. My wife and I mostly practice limited online so it makes it very easy to amass rares when the top card in the set is only 13 tickets. Though, buying full sets online to flip singles does look a bit appealing.

Emerson Cod fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 19, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Annnnd streaming Legacy Cube Drafts as of now at https://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator

Come on in and watch me bitch about this cube!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Oh cool chat seems to be completely busted on twitch right now, sorry anyone who is trying to talk to me.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I'm being very horny in the chat and I see that Paul Cheon is in your pod, that's cool.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Fun cube so far. Just won a round with GR Aggro through a Ravages of War and three opposing planeswalkers. I was so glad I gambled and played my Nissa the turn before, free 4/4s every turn is pretty broken when your opponent prevented himself from casting spells.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Boco_T posted:

I'm being very horny in the chat and I see that Paul Cheon is in your pod, that's cool.

You can actually chat? The chat just doesn't load for me at all, I want to type things :(

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I Love You! posted:

Oh cool chat seems to be completely busted on twitch right now, sorry anyone who is trying to talk to me.

He can't gain life with Vortex out!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Elyv posted:

You can actually chat? The chat just doesn't load for me at all, I want to type things :(
It loaded for me before it broke but I doubt anyone can see what I'm typing.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Boco_T posted:

Which is Paul

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I Love You! posted:

Which is Paul

HAUMPH is Cheon's normal streaming account, dunno if he has another one.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I Love You! posted:

Which is Paul

HAUMPH

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I Love You! posted:

Which is Paul

HAUMPH

You kept bringing up his possibly lifegain options in chat. I figured you didn't know he couldn't gain life.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Someone should set up doesMTGOstillsuck.com. As I understand, the answer remains yes.

http://ismtgostillbad.com/
its been a thing

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Today I learned that baneslayer + exalted angel is a rough matchup for monored.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So I don't know if it would have mattered, but instead of playing the wargear did you consider sealing+scrolling his exalted after it blocked one of your tokens? That would have left him with "only" the baneslayer and might have forced it to hold back on defense and you could scroll whichever goblin he blocks.

Of course as I type this I see he played an Archangel as well, Angel tribal pretty good against mono-red it seems.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
i have a live bloodchief ascension, my opponent scapeshifts and sacs a bunch of lands. my triggers are on top of the (assumed) valakut triggers? Just want to confirm.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

4 colour angel tribal looks brutal

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Molybdenum posted:

i have a live bloodchief ascension, my opponent scapeshifts and sacs a bunch of lands. my triggers are on top of the (assumed) valakut triggers? Just want to confirm.

Unless your opponent is scapeshifting on your turn(with a Quicken or something) then yes.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Molybdenum posted:

Right. It's your opponent's turn, so they put their triggers on the stack first, then yours go on top.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Twitch without chat just makes me feel like I am insane talking to myself. Especially with cube since I never stop talking about everything since every card is unique.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
I am off to Texas for X-mass with my wifes family and have had the ok to find a store for a holiday FNM on December 26th!

We will be about 40 miles from San Antonio so does anyone have a recommended store and can advise as to what format it will be on the 26th?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Jamming mono red is super fun vs people jamming blue control, this has been a cube PSA

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Domri Rade and Grafted Wargear get poo poo done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Domri Rade and Grafted Wargear get poo poo done.

If only I'd cheated green earlier in the draft, even though my end result is probably Good Enough.

• Locked thread