Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, they are, and yes, they do, as much as if not more than Israel. If you think America gives away anything for free, you're wrong; sometimes, America will discount exports and provide them at-cost. At worst, we'll intervene when non-intervention threatens to show us video of starving and dying children in the street, or when it will impact our broader interests. Usually, Americans on this board don't pay attention to those, yet pay disproportionate attention to Israel.

The others also don't lead to huge blowback, which being the obedient boytoy of Israel does. Also I really do want us to require these clients to be more moral than they currently are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zeitgueist posted:

Israel isn't the worst regime that the USA has supported. It's just pretty bad.

This is valuable to discuss in an Israel thread because

because there are no good solutions to the I/P conflict, so its a matter of promoting the least-worst policies and living with their results.

Crowsbeak posted:

The others also don't lead to huge blowback, which being the obedient boytoy of Israel does. Also I really do want us to require these clients to be more moral than they currently are.

There is tremendous blowback against American interests. If you think this weeks' mosque raids and ethnic strife in Kenya won't have American blowback, you're not familiar with the situation.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

My Imaginary GF posted:

because there are no good solutions to the I/P conflict, so its a matter of promoting the least-worst policies and living with their results.

There are good solutions, actually.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

My Imaginary GF posted:

There are plenty of good solutions to the I/P conflict that won't be pursued because people like you are morons.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

There are no justifications. Everyone in the region is poo poo. Israel happens to be slightly less poo poo to Americans than others, so you have widespread American support for Israel.

That's peculiar, you claim Americans support the Israelis more than the Palestinians because the Israelis are "less poo poo" to Americans but oddly enough Palestinians don't seem to be any sort of poo poo to Mexicans or Brazilians. I propose to your consideration that the reason Palestinians are "more poo poo" to Americans than the Israelis is because America supports the Israelis in their fight against the Palestinians.
I know this whole "cause" and "effect" and "arrow of time" is crazy hard but there just might be something to my idea if you think about it.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

My Imaginary GF posted:

wait how is that a response to what I just typed?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
Israel doesn't have the luxury of avoiding criticism because they actually have a unified right wing government that pedals the interests of the public that elected them: Likud. You cannot equivocate Hamas to Fatah or the PLO or any other faction in Palestine. Stop pretending that the Palestinians have a unified consensus on Israel. It's so goddamn dishonest. You've been grasping at straws searching for this consensus this whole thread MIGF.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
I'm pretty sure grasping at straws is kinda MGIF's gimmick.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

down with slavery posted:

I'm pretty sure grasping at straws is kinda MGIF's gimmick.

Number of Israeli imams that are known to have been 'disappeared' by Israel to American torture sites this week:

Yet many here think America cares about something more than its interests and securing business.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Number of Israeli imams that are known to have been 'disappeared' by Israel to American torture sites this week:

Yet many here think America cares about something more than its interests and securing business.

A good faith argument, right here :allears:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

My Imaginary GF posted:

Haha no that's exactly what we think America cares about.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

No I think most people who regularly post in D&D have long come to terms with how lovely the American government can be. That's why they want it to change you dense moron.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

How about preventing destabilizing an entire region? First time America intervened on the Israel issue was when they threatened to use nukes. Furthermore , Israel is a toxic asset to anyone wants positive foreign policy. The Obama Administration knows that

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zeitgueist posted:

Haha no that's exactly what we think America cares about.

What policy options are realistic to deal with the current intifada which do not impede upon those considerations?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Job Truniht posted:

How about preventing destabilizing an entire region? First time America intervened on the Israel issue was when they threatened to use nukes. Furthermore , Israel is a toxic asset to anyone wants positive foreign policy. The Obama Administration knows that

You brought up nukes. MIGF will now tell you about his wonderful plan to nuke Iran.

My Imaginary GF posted:

What policy options are realistic to deal with the current intifada which do not impede upon those considerations?

Oh, I don't know, not giving the Israeli Government weapons and aid because they are not very good allies? :allears:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're making a stupid argument here. Nobody is thinking the US will actually resolve this conflict, but it definitely could. The fact that it also supports other lovely regimes is irrelevant to the discussion, or the fact that this will likely not get better any time soon because of political realities.

It's an atrocious situation and deserves discussion.

You're not presenting a new or interesting argument and I don't even really get your point.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

You brought up nukes. MIGF will now tell you about his wonderful plan to nuke Iran.

Oh, I don't know, not giving the Israeli Government weapons and aid because they are not very good allies? :allears:

Iranian acquisition of nuclear weapons is unacceptable to American policy, and will be prevented by force when necessary.

As for the latter, that impedes upon American interests and business, therefore is unrealistic. What other proposals do you have?

Zeitgueist posted:

You're not presenting a new or interesting argument and I don't even really get your point.

Nor do these threads present any realistic policy alternatives for managing the current situation.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

You brought up nukes. MIGF will now tell you about his wonderful plan to nuke Iran

Iran? Where's Cefte when you need him?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
He has no point, he's a goddamn idiot who just posts stream of consciousness bullshit without putting half a thought into it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Iranian acquisition of nuclear weapons is unacceptable to American policy, and will be prevented by force when necessary.

As for the latter, that impedes upon American interests and business, therefore is unrealistic. What other proposals do you have?

Shut the hell up, and please stop posting bad faith arguments and Clancy chat in the thread, you are going to get it locked again.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

My Imaginary GF posted:

American policy is not eternal, and American interests and businesses are too diverse for the US to do anything without impeding on them in some way, so the correct answer is to go gently caress yourself.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

American policy is not eternal, and American interests and businesses are too diverse for the US to do anything without impeding on them in some way, so the correct answer is to go gently caress yourself.

Yes, I think you've made a good assessment of American policy towards Palestinians.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

JeffersonClay posted:

So you think the only possible resistance is indiscriminate rocket attacks and rabbi-cleaving? I'm not suggesting palestinians should sit around doing nothing, I'm suggesting that random violence directed at the most sympathetic Israelis is counterproductive.

Ok, do you think high-profile attacks on Israeli civilians hasten or slow that slide to ambivalence?

I think the world's attention span is so crazy short that nobody will be talking about this one attack in a year, and if it slides into a bigger conflict, all anyone will remember is "Oh yeah, they were being assholes again and a bunch of people died, mostly Palestinians." I mean nobody gives a poo poo about those three kids that got killed anymore, the ensuing demolition of Gaza stays longer in memory though.

So they will not really matter in the long run. Maybe even hasten it because Israel doesn't even pretend to respond proportionally anymore.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

I don't think anyone disagrees that America's foreign policy on Iran is this. The fact that it's bad policy is for another thread.

quote:

Look, we've got a world where "American interests and business" is god, we want to move away from that because of issues like the I/P conflict (not to mention climate change, healthcare, economic inequality, etc)

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Shut the gently caress up already, you horrific parody of a human being.

Edit: I meant MIGF.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why is it unnaceptable? American policy should be to let the Middle East solve its own problems, we don't need the oil anyways and as long as the Suez stay open I don't see why we should be conscerned.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, I think you've made a good assessment of American policy towards Palestinians.

Are you on some mission to prove how big of a moron you are to D&D?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Why is it unnaceptable? American policy should be to let the Middle East solve its own problems, we don't need the oil anyways and as long as the Suez stay open I don't see why we should be conscerned.

Because 'solve its own problems' results in genocide. For better or worse, Americans are firmly against photogenic genocides.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
What's interesting is that people are automatically disclaiming that Israel wants peace. Not universally, but nobody assumes that settlers attacking Palestinians are trying to make peace or talks about how this moves things away from peace. This only really makes sense if you believe that Israel is completely hostile to peace or the idea of it.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Because 'solve its own problems' results in genocide. For better or worse, Americans are firmly against photogenic genocides.

Yes, god forbid we allow genocide to happen. Instead, let's genocide the Palestinians until they can't genocide back. Surely this is a winning strategy.

Effectronica posted:

What's interesting is that people are automatically disclaiming that Israel wants peace. Not universally, but nobody assumes that settlers attacking Palestinians are trying to make peace or talks about how this moves things away from peace. This only really makes sense if you believe that Israel is completely hostile to peace or the idea of it.

I'd imagine, much like the US, there are a great deal of Israelis who are disgusted at their Government's actions. Israel the state as it is now, with the politicians they have, is not interested in peace. Can that change in the future? Sure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
What I find interesting in this thread is how MIGF get's dog piled over and over and still thinks his argument is somehow valid.

Obviously its divinely inspired.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Effectronica posted:

Our government of the last several years has definitely done everything in its power to make sure that peace isn't an option. I don't think our generation will ever see peace here barring some freak, history changing occurrence.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Yes, god forbid we allow genocide to happen. Instead, let's genocide the Palestinians until they can't genocide back. Surely this is a winning strategy.

I'd imagine, much like the US, there are a great deal of Israelis who are disgusted at their Government's actions. Israel the state as it is now, with the politicians they have, is not interested in peace. Can that change in the future? Sure.

Doflamingo posted:

Our government of the last several years has definitely done everything in its power to make sure that peace isn't an option. I don't think our generation will ever see peace here barring some freak, history changing occurrence.

I'm talking more about a rhetorical shift. People are (not universally) abandoning the idea that Israel wants peace, which is probably not all that positive in the long run, more realistic though it be.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

What I find interesting in this thread is how MIGF get's dog piled over and over and still thinks his argument is somehow valid.

I'm eagerly awaiting some posts about "the D&D hivemind"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I'm eagerly awaiting some posts about "the D&D hivemind"

Its like the 'Shills/Sheeple' argument from Anti-GMO/Anti-Government crowd.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yeah when our interventions instead lead to slow genocides and ethnic cleanings I really don't see how us leaving would make a difference. I say let Turkey, Iran and Saudi Arabia decide what happens to the region.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah when our interventions instead lead to slow genocides and ethnic cleanings I really don't see how us leaving would make a difference. I say let Turkey, Iran and Saudi Arabia decide what happens to the region.

I'm sure Pakistan wants a say too, at least then MIGF can live out his Clacy-esque dreams of a preemptive nuclear strike

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MIGF what plausible reasons would Israel be allowed to deploy nuclear weapons and/or biological warfare?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

I'm sure Pakistan wants a say too, at least then MIGF can live out his Clacy-esque dreams of a preemptive nuclear strike

Considering that place has significant problems keeping itself together, I want to know what reality sees it extending influence anywhere beyond the Pashtun areas of Afghanistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Job Truniht posted:

MIGF what plausible reasons would Israel be allowed to deploy nuclear weapons and/or biological warfare?

Spread of the intifada to American soil

Iranian acquisition of nuclear weapons capabilities with determination to acquire weapons

Attempts by Palestinian organizations to coordinate with ISIS/acquire WMDs

• Locked thread