Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Insect Court posted:

You have this bizarre paranoia about being accused of being an anti-semite, C.G. Lots of the more extreme anti-Zionists who show up in I/P threads do. I'm not sure why, I haven't called you an anti-semite and don't plan to. Still, I have to wonder where that fear and preoccupation of yours comes from.

It's clear that there are some posters who have a very intense, very personal hatred of Jewish Israelis that goes beyond mere disagreement with the policies of the current Israeli government. Their regular characterization of many or most Jewish Israelis as bloodthirsty, unfeeling, inhuman, greedy, dishonest, etc., and the almost violent loathing expressed exceeds what you'll see in any other thread, opinions towards ISIS end up being sedate in comparison. I'm simply trying to understand where such intense and near murderous hatred comes from, especially when it's coming from people with no personal connection to the conflict. What motivates such hatred? I'm just asking question here, I don't have any answers and it just seems so bizarre to me :shrug:

Why don't you name the clear and obvious anti-semites in this thread, with their anti-semitic statements hopefully so we can avoid them instead of just making sweeping claims about how it is clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

Well, setting up couches and watching the carnage is probably not appropriate considering the danger of being hit by Hamas rockets....

....oh wait.

You guys are in so much danger! :ohdear:
In the process of being genocided. Somewhat nonchalant no?

I forgot where I am for a second. Goodbye.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

How come some posters in this thread hate Palestinians so much?

Haha, I'd say they want them to be locked up in camps but there are 2 million Palestinians locked up behind walls in Gaza for the last 60 odd years.

Its really embarassing to see people who think they have strong opinions just regurgitating bog standard anti-arab racism.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lady Morgaga posted:

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Lady Morgaga posted:

Interesting image, I wonder where you got it from...
http://electronicintifada.net/content/blockade-denying-gaza-youth-education-employment/9270

quote:

Blockade denying Gaza youth education, employment

RAMALLAH, occupied West Bank (IRIN) - The next generation in the Gaza Strip may be less educated, less professional and perhaps more radical because an Israeli blockade has restricted educational and employment opportunities, say UN and other sources.

The four-year blockade has particularly affected youths aged 18-24, limiting access to higher education, academic exchanges and professional development, says Gaza’s education ministry. About 65 percent of Gaza’s 1.6 million people are under 25, according to UN estimates.

“Higher education in all its forms is absolutely critical to a functioning society and the creation of a future Palestinian state,” Max Gaylard, UN Humanitarian Coordinator for the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, told IRIN, and “to maintain a necessary level of skills in professional sectors, like medicine and engineering.”

Gaza’s unemployment rate — nearly 50 percent according to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS) — indicates dire prospects for the rapidly growing and youthful population.

The economic blockade, imposed by Israel after the Islamist resistance movement Hamas took control of Gaza in June 2007, has obstructed the import of books, science laboratory and other educational equipment to Gaza, according to the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). Israel allows in limited humanitarian supplies.

The lack of facilities, new information and experiences has caused a marked deterioration of Gaza’s whole educational system. Noor, an English education student at al-Azhar University, ranked second in Gaza, said she lacked essential books for her coursework and even chairs were missing from lecture halls.

“Our universities are not ready for new generations,” she explained. “We only have one laboratory and two computer labs, and it is not enough.”

Enrolment levels at Gaza’s 14 public and private universities and colleges remain high, but conflict and the stringent blockade have seriously undermined access to, and the quality of, higher education, said UNESCO in a report.

According to the Palestinian Center for Human Rights in Gaza, “Under the policy of complete closure imposed since June 2007, Palestinians from Gaza who once constituted some 35 percent of the student body at universities in the West Bank are virtually absent from West Bank education institutions.”

The development of two separate systems due to the Israeli-imposed movement restrictions, meant fewer subjects and facilities for Gaza’s university students, said UNESCO.

Can’t pay fees

About 80 percent of the Gaza population is aid dependent, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), and higher education institutions in Gaza are feeling the financial strain.

The inability of students to cover fees has hit Gaza universities hard, since student fees provide about 60 percent of university running costs, according to Palestinian NGO Sharek Youth Forum.

“The level of education is being compromised and we have trouble hiring qualified professors and staff,” said Kamalain Shaath, president of the Islamic University, ranked top in Gaza and the West Bank. Half the students at the university, he added, were unable to meet tuition requirements this semester.

Damaged buildings still not rebuilt

Islamic University’s first medical school class of about fifty promising young doctors will graduate this spring, and will be desperately needed in this conflict area, although the university science labs that were destroyed during Israel’s 2008-09 invasion of Gaza, dubbed “Operation Cast Lead,” were never rebuilt.

Seven universities and colleges were damaged during the offensive, which ended in January 2009, with six buildings fully destroyed and 16 partially, according to UNESCO. As of March 2011, rebuilding has not been possible owing to the embargo on building materials.

Overcrowding in schools is another problem. About 81 percent of Gaza’s public schools operate on double shifts, according Gaza’s education ministry director-general, Sharif Nouman. In 2010, only three new schools were built due to lack of building materials, yet another 100 need to be built, he said.

Meanwhile, the internal conflict between Palestinian factions Fatah and Hamas is putting pressure on the education system, due to the lack of communication between the Gaza and West Bank ministries, he added.

Rising unemployment

The unemployment rate among those aged 15-19 is about 72 percent, while unemployment affects 66 percent of those aged 20-24, according to a January socio-economic report by the Office of the UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process (UNSCO). West Bank unemployment rates were 29 percent and 34 percent for these age groups, respectively.

About 70 percent of industrial establishments in Gaza have closed under the blockade, according to OCHA, while 120,000 private sector jobs were lost in the first two years of closure. A recent easing has allowed the limited export of cut flowers and strawberries from Gaza to Europe.

“When young people graduate they have almost no opportunity to find a job in a company or association,” said Bassam, a multi-media student at al-Azhar University. Some try to start their own businesses, but “this cannot succeed in Gaza now because of the blockade,” he added.

UN officials in the region have expressed concern that isolating youth in Gaza from broader values and opportunities will backfire. “A rapidly growing society, becoming poorer, that is subject to restrictions on education will encourage extremism in its worst forms,” warned Gaylard.

Deputy director-general of the Israeli Ministry of Public Diplomacy, Danny Seaman, however, said “Hamas uses access to Israel to perpetrate terror attacks against our civilians and this immediate threat outweighs the concern over increased militancy amongst youth in Gaza.”

Some 71 percent of university students surveyed by UNESCO reported they were not hopeful about the future and almost the same number worried there will be another war.

“Most of my peers want to emigrate,” said Shadi, a 26-year-old physical therapist in Gaza City. “We are isolated and frustrated.”

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

nopantsjack posted:

Also stop feeding the trolls, everyone knows MIGF is either trolling or barely sapient, the last 10 pages have been 70% MIGF posts and replies, please stop. There is nothing to be gained by debating with people who haven't gone to the basic effort of educating themselves. You wouldn't have a debate about WW2 with a guy who thought the allies were the ones with the pointy hats.

Yeah I put a helpful guide to posting in the OP because of this nonsense.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

"You are paranoid of being called an anti-semite, YOUR'RE AN ANTI-SEMITE AREN'T YOU?!"

You literally just called us Anti-Semites. Well-Done. Bad faith argument/strawman in this post.

And then you use the 'Just Asking Questions' fallacy. Nice.

We characterize the Israeli GOVERNMENT as such, not the people. There are plenty of Israelis including prominent Holocaust survivors that know what is going on is wrong, but the Israeli government is largely controlled by the Religious Right.

Stop stop living up to your custom title.

Please do try to calm down, C.G. I'm not accusing you(or any other particular individual) of being an anti-semite. I'm just saying that the hatred directed towards Israel and Jewish Israelis is so disproportionate and so personal that I want to understand the motivations behind it. Why do some posters insist that Israelis are unfeeling, bloodthirsty monsters? Why do some seem to react to the prospect of Palestinian terrorist groups killing Israeli civilians with something ranging from indifference to glee? Where does this devaluation of the life of Jewish Israelis comes from? Besides, "anti-semite or not" is a clumsy and inaccurate way to discuss the role bigotry plays in shaping discourse. It would be foolish to insist that a person is either a racist or a non-racist, that it's a simple binary adjective, wouldn't it?

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 19, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Insect Court posted:

Try to calm down C.G. I'm not accusing you(or any other particular individual) of being an anti-semite. I'm just saying that the hatred directed towards Israel and Jewish Israelis is so disproportionate and so personal that I want to understand the motivations behind it. Why do some posters insist that Israelis are unfeeling, bloodthirsty monsters? Why do some seem to react to the prospect of Palestinian terrorist groups killing Israeli civilians with something ranging from indifference to glee? Where does this devaluation of the life of Jewish Israelis comes from? Besides, "anti-semite or not" is a clumsy and inaccurate way to discuss the role bigotry plays in shaping discourse. It would be foolish to insist that a person is either a racist or a non-racist, that it's a simple binary adjective, wouldn't it?

Still waiting on that citation proof that I think Israelis in general are monsters and that I'm a raving anti-jew bigot, Strawman.

"I didn't call you a anti-semite, but I'm calling you an anti-semite :smuggo:"

IDF provided map of rocket launch sites from the last Gaza conflict.

There's only one way to handle this... :getin:

Wait, are some of those launch sites in the ocean?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 19, 2014

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

According to twitter-homie Omar, drones are already back in Gaza.

https://twitter.com/Omar_Gaza

Its interesting following the Gazans on social media over the past year, almost all the moderates who hated the whole war and Hamas have been radicalised by the latest lawn-mowing. Most that I follow are still not Hamas followers but now support their resistance since... who else do you go to? All the other neighbouring states are turning a blind eye. (Their governments at least, Israel's treatment of the palestinians is still hugely incendiary to the actual populations of the middle east.)

Its still somewhat up for debate if these attacks are incompetence on Israel's side or an intentional policy of provoking Palestinian violence so its immediate and mostly unplanned, similar to how police will provoke a protest then disperse it with violence. I'd go for a combo of the two, since the IDF and civilian government seem to be somewhat at odds.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

The Insect Court posted:

Please do try to calm down, C.G. I'm not accusing you(or any other particular individual) of being an anti-semite. I'm just saying that the hatred directed towards Israel and Jewish Israelis is so disproportionate and so personal that I want to understand the motivations behind it. Why do some posters insist that Israelis are unfeeling, bloodthirsty monsters?

Do you operate in a vacuum or something? A lot of people in this thread believe, rightfully, that Bibi and his sycophant cabinet represent the general will of the Israeli public. If you want to ignore right wing extremism in Israel, let's pretend that Rabin never got assassinated and, if he did, it was by an Arab. It's not a question on whether or not the Israeli people and their government should be held accountable, but how much they should be held accountable.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Job Truniht posted:

Do you operate in a vacuum or something? A lot of people in this thread believe, rightfully, that Bibi and his sycophant cabinet represent the general will of the Israeli public. If you want to ignore right wing extremism in Israel, let's pretend that Rabin never got assassinated and, if he did, it was by an Arab. It's not a question on whether or not the Israeli people and their government should be held accountable, but how much they should be held accountable.

There's no doubt that Israelis have been leaning more and more right since Bibi's return to power, so much so that Bibi is now almost perceived as center. I fear the very real possibility that Bennett or Liberman will replace him once his term is up. Personally I think we're long overdue for a rude awakening of sorts, be it from the international community or elsewhere.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Job Truniht posted:

I think I see. What you seem to be saying is that what's behind the hatred is the belief that instead of people holding a wide and diverse range of opinions on a variety of issues, Jewish Israelis are a sort of monolithic hivemind definitely exclusively by their persecution of the Palestinians? And that they all bear collective guilt for the crimes committed against Palestinians, and so all Jewish Israelis should be held "accountable" and the only question is what degree of accountability should be meted out(boycott, international court, rockets, hatchets, etc.) Was the recent occurrence in that synagogue in Jerusalem an example of accountability(even if a somewhat overzealous one)?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Insect Court posted:

I think I see. What you seem to be saying is that what's behind the hatred is the belief that instead of people holding a wide and diverse range of opinions on a variety of issues, Jewish Israelis are a sort of monolithic hivemind definitely exclusively by their persecution of the Palestinians? And that they all bear collective guilt for the crimes committed against Palestinians, and so all Jewish Israelis should be held "accountable" and the only question is what degree of accountability should be meted out(boycott, international court, rockets, hatchets, etc.) Was the recent occurrence in that synagogue in Jerusalem an example of accountability(even if a somewhat overzealous one)?

"Ring-wing Strawman found here"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Job Truniht posted:

I generally disagree with the assertion that, say, US and UK governments actually represent the will of the public let alone the government of a military theocracy.

Its alarmingly evident that there is growing extremist sentiment, especially among Israeli youth, but I'd debate that its an untouchable majority and flat out disagree with people who put the responsibility of state actions on the public whose will is subverted. Israelis presumably want the same as everyone, opportunities and comfort in life and for their friend's and family to not get blown up.
Its the job of lovely nation states to convert public opinion into whatever supports their schemes. In that way Israel is totally right when it claims to be an outpost of Western Civilisation.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Insect Court posted:

I asked you a question, which you deliberately ignored. Were you too busy raping and dismembering a homeless man to bother?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Insect Court posted:

Please do try to calm down, C.G. I'm not accusing you(or any other particular individual) of being an anti-semite. I'm just saying that the hatred directed towards Israel and Jewish Israelis is so disproportionate and so personal that I want to understand the motivations behind it. Why do some posters insist that Israelis are unfeeling, bloodthirsty monsters? Why do some seem to react to the prospect of Palestinian terrorist groups killing Israeli civilians with something ranging from indifference to glee? Where does this devaluation of the life of Jewish Israelis comes from? Besides, "anti-semite or not" is a clumsy and inaccurate way to discuss the role bigotry plays in shaping discourse. It would be foolish to insist that a person is either a racist or a non-racist, that it's a simple binary adjective, wouldn't it?

Well, Israel is a special case. I mean I'm not from US so I can't attest to it personally, but it must suck that every source pretty much tells you that it is a great country, that your tax dollars go to it, that there is no politician willing to speak against it. As a Finn, it's normal to me just to consider Israel as another poo poo country among others. Europe and the rest of the world ranks it up to Iran and NK in positivity. But even for us, US blocks resolutions in UN, forces us to accept it in the "Western democratic clubs" and other such bullshit. People actually defend it online, which is loving bizarre. But unlike Americans, at least we don't pay for that "priviledge". Is it really so strange that the spoiled little bitch of rear end in a top hat countries in the world gets more hate then the rear end in a top hat countries that suffer for being that?

If you really haven't looked at the special treatment of Israel as a reason that it's so hated, well maybe that is what you should do next. Because I really don't think your average left-wing American wakes up one day hating Jews out of nowhere.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 19, 2014

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
One thing no one can accuse TIC off is that his posts are of inconsistent quality.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MeLKoR posted:

One thing no one can accuse TIC off is that his posts are of inconsistent quality.

I just wish they were a little less like a broken record.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

I don't know what sort of projection you've got going on TIC but it's always impressive and grandiose. I don't feel like hatchets can be accountability man, that's terrible.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
if you folks hate reading MIGF (or whoever's) posts (I know I hope he never shows his idiot face in the Canpoli thread again) then put him on ignore and don't quote him so the rest of us don't have to read whatever nonsense he's spewing.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
If only there was some forum feature that did that for everyone at once.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

The Insect Court posted:

I think that's another way to describe institutional racism. Does Zionists hold the same views on race? Absolutely.

I don't think Jewish Israelis accidentally elected a government that supports settlement expansion and strongman bullshit every time a drop of blood spills on the street while simultaneously pissing away any chance at a peace process. I know you're not that interested in holding Israel accountable for just about everything, but the US State Department nor the White House view it that way. Even if you ignore the concept that there might be repercussions for anything Israel ever does, Israel is well on its way to become a failed state economically, ideologically, and militarily. They hold the highest military spending as a % of GDP and income inequality of any OECD country.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Insect Court posted:

It's clear that there are some posters who have a very intense, very personal hatred of Jewish Israelis that goes beyond mere disagreement with the policies of the current Israeli government. Their regular characterization of many or most Jewish Israelis as bloodthirsty, unfeeling, inhuman, greedy, dishonest, etc., and the almost violent loathing expressed exceeds what you'll see in any other thread, opinions towards ISIS end up being sedate in comparison. I'm simply trying to understand where such intense and near murderous hatred comes from, especially when it's coming from people with no personal connection to the conflict. What motivates such hatred? I'm just asking question here, I don't have any answers and it just seems so bizarre to me :shrug:

Many, probably most, posters here are Westerners -- from the USA, Canada, the EU, ANZ, or similar. We're from Judeo-Christian cultures. In the Middle East thread, to someone arguing that Daeshites did not merit being treated as human beings, I said it wasn't about them, but about us.

Israel is us. They are a Western country, they are deeply tied humanly and economically to other western countries, and they keep boasting about how they're the only country in the area upholding our values. And you know what? They are complete assholes. They're gleefully committing the worst of our colonial sins, which we stopped over two generations ago and now see with great shame, and they're arguing it's their God-given birthright to keep doing these awful things.

That's why Israel is unbearable. Here we have an age of international Islamic terror, where Saudis and Pakistani salafists are abducting, ransoming, and torturing people, committing large-scale slaughters, oppressing women, destroying heritage sites, even striking on our home countries. We're better than them, right? Wrong! Here comes Israel on its mission to demonstrate that Arabs are really extremely justified in hating us.

As for your "goes beyond mere disagreement with the policies of the current Israeli government" thing, well yeah, it's also disagreement with the policies of the previous Israeli government, and the one before, all the way back to when the Israeli government was still just the Irgun.

The Insect Court posted:

I think I see. What you seem to be saying is that what's behind the hatred is the belief that instead of people holding a wide and diverse range of opinions on a variety of issues, Jewish Israelis are a sort of monolithic hivemind definitely exclusively by their persecution of the Palestinians?
No, of course not. Jewish Israelis are not just a monolithic hivemind. It's just that those who aren't part of the hivemind are called "self-hating Jews".

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 20, 2014

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Maybe you could write a paragraph or two about how building settlements, evicting Palestinians from their homes and firing live rounds into protests staged within Palestinian cities is conductive to Israel's long term security goals or something cause those are the only issues at hand really.

It's not relevant that Hamas is regularly firing rockets, intentionally maximizes Palestinian civilian deaths, and has a long history of suicide bombings?

quote:

Let's start with the famous Norman Finkelstein talking point, if Israel has to build a wall to defend its citizens, why doesn't it build it on the internationally recognized 1967 armistice border, instead building it on Palestinian land? I think this is a fair starting point.

Sure. The Palestinian Authority has already agreed in negotiations with Barak and Olmert that 1967 borders will have to be adjusted at multiple points. They weren't able to resolve conflicts over Jerusalem and refugees however.

Do keep in mind that BDS, which Finkelstein speaks for in that video, isn't about settlements and the West Bank. BDS is for boycotting the entire state of Israel, a one state solution, and the immediate return of all descendants of 1948 refugees.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think that the last one was closed due to a certain poster drumming the "Israel is totally gonna nuke Iran, it's gonna be awesome!!!" drum.

Israel is the bad guy, the only reason this thread devolves into poo poo is due to certain posters insisting that anyone criticizing Israel must have a secret anti-semitic agenda.

No, I think it's due to making blanket collective justifications like this. If you get to say that Likud speaks for all of Israel, then it's a lot easier to argue that Hamas speaks for all of Palestinians.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 20, 2014

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

team overhead smash posted:

Edit 2: In terms of talking points, does anyone think that if Rabin hadn't been assassinated things would have been significantly different? I hear that argument a lot but in the end he backed down against settlers in the past and I don't think he ever even accepted the possibility of a two-state solution, instead preferring Israel as well as a Palestine which would have been relatively autonomous but fallen short of being a full on state of its own. I can't see him having done much.

I think economically things would be a lot better for Palestinians and a lot fewer of them would have died in Cast Lead and Protective Edge. In terms of settlements though, he'd be the Obama to Bibi's Bush. A nicer face on the same policy, but also Fatah would have gotten a lot more deserved blame for punting on agreements when they were in reach like in 2001 and 2007.

Job Truniht posted:

I don't think Jewish Israelis accidentally elected a government that supports settlement expansion and strongman bullshit every time a drop of blood spills on the street while simultaneously pissing away any chance at a peace process.

No, they just reflexively turn to right wing morons when they're terrified of being killed like, I don't know, everyone in every society ever? Like Hamas on the other side, or Americans after 9/11?

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 20, 2014

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

No, they just reflexively turn to right wing morons when they're terrified of being killed like, I don't know, everyone in every society ever? Like Hamas on the other side, or Americans after 9/11?

I can't equivocate Hamas to the Likud government. Their influence only extends so far into the West Bank. And Israelis have made every effort to prevent a unified government body for Palestine from ever happening. The PA has the advantage of arguing that they're separate and distinct mouthpiece from Hamas every time they visit the UN. Bibi doesn't have that luxury. He never did.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

Israel is us. They are a Western country, they are deeply tied humanly and economically to other western countries, and they keep boasting about how they're the only country in the area upholding our values. And you know what? They are complete assholes. They're gleefully committing the worst of our colonial sins, which we stopped over two generations ago and now see with great shame, and they're arguing it's their God-given birthright to keep doing these awful things.

Interesting. So that sort fanatical loathing of Jewish Israelis is a sort of externalized self-hatred? I hadn't considered that possibility, to be honest, but it does help explain how irrational such fervor is.

It also indicates an orientalizing and almost dehumanizing belief that non-Westerners(however defined) are an inscrutable "other", as if Arabs or Africans were some other species. But perhaps exploring that is best left to another thread.

quote:

As for your "goes beyond mere disagreement with the policies of the current Israeli government" thing, well yeah, it's also disagreement with the policies of the previous Israeli government, and the one before, all the way back to when the Israeli government was still just the Irgun.

No, of course not. Jewish Israelis are not just a monolithic hivemind. It's just that those who aren't part of the hivemind are called "self-hating Jews".

So in your "metaphor" here:

Cat Mattress posted:

So there's this guy who rapes a woman. The woman struggles, and hurts the guy. A policeman arrives on the scene. The guy cuts the woman's hands off, saying he has the rights to defend himself. The policeman agrees with his assessment and turns away. The guy keeps on raping the woman.

What proportion of Jewish Israelis do you consider (morally akin to) rapists? All of them who don't share your opinion on Israel? Can you be a little more concrete as to what portions of the Israeli public may be killed by Palestinian terrorists without moral censure?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
jesus christ can we just stop the rape analogies they are creepy and unproductive.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

The Insect Court posted:

What proportion of Jewish Israelis do you consider (morally akin to) rapists? All of them who don't share your opinion on Israel? Can you be a little more concrete as to what portions of the Israeli public may be killed by Palestinian terrorists without moral censure?

The Israeli settlers in the West Bank.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Insect Court posted:

Interesting. So that sort fanatical loathing of Jewish Israelis is a sort of externalized self-hatred? I hadn't considered that possibility, to be honest, but it does help explain how irrational such fervor is.

It also indicates an orientalizing and almost dehumanizing belief that non-Westerners(however defined) are an inscrutable "other", as if Arabs or Africans were some other species. But perhaps exploring that is best left to another thread.

"Right Wing Strawman found here"

Please stop trying to equate criticism of Israel or the Israeli government to Jew hating. Thanks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's antisemitic of y'all not to have called me to this thread earlier. What have I missed?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
It's been, what, four threads at this point and you dumb fuckers still haven't learned to ignore The Insect Court's attempts to de-rail it with accusations of anti-semitism?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Heavy neutrino posted:

It's been, what, four threads at this point and you dumb fuckers still haven't learned to ignore The Insect Court's attempts to de-rail it with accusations of anti-semitism?

It's not a derail, this is literally what the arguments on the other side are. We can have an echo chamber or we can have poo poo lies and wild accusations of anti-semitism. These are your choices in debating and discussing I/P.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

It's not a derail, this is literally what the arguments on the other side are. We can have an echo chamber or we can have poo poo lies and wild accusations of anti-semitism. These are your choices in debating and discussing I/P.

Just remember, going hog wild just ain't kosher.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just remember, going hog wild just ain't kosher.

Unless its going hog wild on the colonies

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, reading this guy's posts is like reading a scientologist harass someone. Replace "what are your crimes?" with "why do you loath jews?"

That you do loath jews is a given, the only thing that we are discussing is why do you have this loathing of jews. Everybody can tell it's not about politics, it's something else... What could possibly make you loath jews and think they are subhuman scum? I'm not saying you are an anti-semite, I'm just asking questions because I truly don't understand why you hate all jews and want them dead.

Please stop replying to this disingenuous rear end in a top hat, he's not arguing with you, he's just framing anything you say as coming from anti-semitism a visceral repulsion of jews.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

Unless its going hog wild on the colonies

How DARE you? Clearly they're going Hebrew National Kosher Frank (tm) wild.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

Please stop replying to this disingenuous rear end in a top hat, he's not arguing with you, he's just framing anything you say as coming from anti-semitism a visceral repulsion of jews.

It makes a ton of sense if you read his strawmen as "things I fear are true."

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
I wonder why TIC people feels the need to trivialize antisemitism by insinuating that every joe schmoe that comes along with a few "oh dears" about the colonial project of the State of Israel are antisemites.

Can't they see that it is antisemitic in itself to reduce the term to an ineffectual soundbyte, a catty little come-back, a cute little "no you"? What happens when actual antisemitism takes place, but people are so sick and tired of being labeled antisemites for having legitimate concerns about Israel that no one cares when it is actually applicable?

It's what neo-nazis and other legitimate antisemites want to happen, and do themselves. To make the concept of antisemitism into a joke so that it loses all meaning and effect to make people reflect over their actions. Then they can be free to engage in it as they please with fewer repercussions. Is that not a concern for TIC, or do they just want to score cheap points on an internet forum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

murphyslaw posted:

I wonder why TIC people feels the need to trivialize antisemitism by insinuating that every joe schmoe that comes along with a few "oh dears" about the colonial project of the State of Israel are antisemites.

Can't they see that it is antisemitic in itself to reduce the term to an ineffectual soundbyte, a catty little come-back, a cute little "no you"? What happens when actual antisemitism takes place, but people are so sick and tired of being labeled antisemites for having legitimate concerns about Israel that no one cares when it is actually applicable?

It's what neo-nazis and other legitimate antisemites want to happen, and do themselves. To make the concept of antisemitism into a joke so that it loses all meaning and effect to make people reflect over their actions. Then they can be free to engage in it as they please with fewer repercussions. Is that not a concern for TIC, or do they just want to score cheap points on an internet forum?

If your rivals are caricatures, you do not need to examine yourself or your views. It's really that simple.

Now, as for content: has anybody yet brought up how the head of the Shin Bet openly contradicted Netanyahu by saying that Abbas was actually helping Israeli security, rather than hindering it and inciting for violence against Jews and all that other rubbish?

• Locked thread