Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Blatter has stated that there is still nothing wrong with the Russian and Qatar bids.

So yes, he is going after the English and Aussie fa's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
The FBI and UK govt have made it clear there are civil and criminal cases against FIFA, and so FIFA block the evidence with a view to prosecuting... the UK.

That "It can't be released because privacy" thing was a threat, so it seems. They really are laudable in their brazen corruption.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Spangly A posted:

This would be incredible.

If Beijing can get it then loving anywhere can. It's the end stage of these bidding processes that a competently run FIFA would and should be worried about; when your demands, bribes and insane requirements of host countries drives away viable hosts, you're left with Turkmenistan '26 followed by Azerbaijan '30.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

If Beijing can get it then loving anywhere can. It's the end stage of these bidding processes that a competently run FIFA would and should be worried about; when your demands, bribes and insane requirements of host countries drives away viable hosts, you're left with Turkmenistan '26 followed by Azerbaijan '30.

Everybody forgets that the dutch withdrew because FIFA wanted them to pave over all the bicycle lanes for special FIFA-only roads.

Qatar was totally happy building those roads.

Also can cuhulin discuss whether Swiss court are able to extend a case beyond scope or if they're limited to scope of prosecution like here and I assume most places? I'm going to guess that this silences all the critics, brands England and Australia guilty, and won't even mention Qatar. I really hope someone is smart enough to get the Qatar evidence in a courtroom, though.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
I know nothing about law, has Sepp Blatter gone and done it again? Will FIFA now get away with it or can justice still prevail?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Machinegunboyo posted:

I know nothing about law, has Sepp Blatter gone and done it again? Will FIFA now get away with it or can justice still prevail?

me too he has they will it wont

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Spangly A posted:

Also can cuhulin discuss whether Swiss court are able to extend a case beyond scope or if they're limited to scope of prosecution like here and I assume most places? I'm going to guess that this silences all the critics, brands England and Australia guilty, and won't even mention Qatar. I really hope someone is smart enough to get the Qatar evidence in a courtroom, though.

You're mixing up a couple things here. In basically any civilized country, the government can open an investigation into illegal acts that happened in that country and then prosecute people for those acts.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

drat FIFA knows all the moves

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's like a telenovela

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
It's come to rooting for Wikileaks hasn't it?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's come to rooting for Wikileaks hasn't it?

It is kinda ludicrous that tens of thousands of secret government documents can be leaked but FIFA can somehow prevent the release of one.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

It is kinda ludicrous that tens of thousands of secret government documents can be leaked but FIFA can somehow prevent the release of one.

Some people enter the military and government service with the belief that they can do good in the world. No one involved with FIFA had any illusions about what they were becoming a part of

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Touche.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the obvious corruption is genius because only the corrupt will join fifa so you dont have any whistleblowers only people wanting to get paid

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
fifa.com/jobs is a thing that exists, btw.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
drat, lol. my poor shirt

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

His reputation is not exactly being helped by the current situation tbf

This is what I was thinking. Right now he looks pretty complicit in the affair. Pull a Chelsea Manning, and then I will think highly of him. What good is a private investigation for a multi-national organization?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Dirk Pitt posted:

This is what I was thinking. Right now he looks pretty complicit in the affair. Pull a Chelsea Manning, and then I will think highly of him. What good is a private investigation for a multi-national organization?

I don't think becoming a woman is going to help his case.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Dirk Pitt posted:

How does he look complicit? This is working out great for Garcia.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

blue footed boobie posted:

How does he look complicit? This is working out great for Garcia.

No action. All he has said is 'that's not what I said' and still stayed in his New York City apartment (certainly furnished by FIFA or from money's earned by 'investigating FIFA')

Edit: did I read correctly that his investigation cost Fifa $6million? Jesus loving Christ. I would commit hari Kari if someone would give me$6 million dollars to travel the world for 18 months.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 19, 2014

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
He actually can't do anything more than that though. I can't believe anyone would expect him to do otherwise.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

What the hell do you want Garcia to do? Commit career and financial suicide by releasing the report and then spend the next 20 years in jail while his family moves out of their home and changes schools?

He's spent 25 years on his career and you want him to put himself at the mercy of a transnational with over $1 billion in the bank over the integrity of a sport.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Yes. Otherwise it is just empty words.

Edit: He was a bush appointee...so I guess I am asking a lot.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Why would anyone do a 18 month investigation into a sporting event 18 years in the future, and accept that it will never see the light of day?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
If you've made 6mil on something you don't need a career henceforth

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Garcia has no incentive to leak the report. By protesting Eckert's summary without actually giving details, he gets to look like he wrote a golden report (that no one will ever read) while at the same time there aren't any penalties for him actually wanting it to see the light of day. And for all we know the actual report exonerates Qatar and Russia as well, and the thing Garcia is appealing is that Eckert wasn't harsh enough on England and Australia. By not leaking it, everyone fills in their own blanks for what Garcia discovered, and he wins. He gets to have his cake and eat it too.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm also guessing the actual report isn't all that damning, which would put a real dampener on all these UEFA protests, given their call seems to be "Release the original report" rather than "End FIFA the corrupt cocksuckers".

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Dirk Pitt posted:

Why would anyone do a 18 month investigation into a sporting event 18 years in the future, and accept that it will never see the light of day?

I'm not entirely sure what part of this you're missing, but it's not uncommon for organizations to do internal investigations to evaluate exposure and provide solutions for future compliance. People, like Garcia, who do these investigations sign confidentiality agreements as a matter of course because otherwise it would be a public investigation rather than an internal one. If anything, it's surprising that Garcia called for his report to be released at all.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Garcia has called for it because he doesnt want his name associated with massive investigatory fraud and political whitewashing. Thats the only reason.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Straight from the horse's mouth:

Sepp Blatter posted:

"We have been advised that publication of the report might be permissible if the persons and entities included in the report consent to such publication and waive any legal action they might be entitled to bring.''

Absolutely comical.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

He's so full of poo poo, how can the newspapers just roll over and quote what he says without the obvious follow-ups they should be asking?

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

That is some class A circular logic right there.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
We will expose the fraudulent behavior of FIFA executives only if they want it to be exposed.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Pook Good Mook posted:

He's so full of poo poo, how can the newspapers just roll over and quote what he says without the obvious follow-ups they should be asking?

Their press boxes and individual invitations to FIFA banquets would dry up.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
anyone involved in off the pitch stuff in top level football is bad people just like everyone in fifa

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30122601

Read that, just read it.

The last sentence is the best. Blatter asking if Dykes letter asking for the report to be published gives tacit approval for him to release everything about Englands bid to the press but no-one elses stuff.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I agree with Marina Hyde, we should invade Switzerland

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Will someone just get it over with and sue these fuckers? Have fun hiding evidence then jackasses.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Pook Good Mook posted:

Will someone just get it over with and sue these fuckers? Have fun hiding evidence then jackasses.

I'd do it, but I have a career to take care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This would be a good time for the CIA and WikiLeaks to actually collaborate on a project.