Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

So what exactly are the requirements for golden god? I just got it out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
^Get all the Basement Boy, Cellar Boy, Momma Boy, etc. achievements.

For all that everyone complains about Family Man, I actually liked the challenge and beat it on my first go. No real "help-mes" until the Mom fight where I got an angel deal with Holy Mantle. I had kept hoping for flying but it never came. I got a poo poo load of HP ups and had a Sun card and Guppy's paw going into the Cathedral to use if stuff got hairy. Holy Mantle didn't really help that much, though it DID save me a hit in the room with Lumps. I'd say Family Man is just an alternate version of Solar System without the ability to fly. Its mostly about dodging and letting Rotting Baby's flies do most of the work. Those flies do some serious damage.

Glass Cannon I finished on my 2nd or 3rd try. It was a good amount of luck. Got flight w/ my 1st or 2nd devil deal and Goat Head on the other. Started building my soul hearts. Got dead cat on like Mom's floor. I was rushing too so I got Mom down in time for boss rush. Picked up relic and did the rush which was stupid easy. My reward? Pyromaniac XD. I was almost sad since I didn't freaking have any red hearts. I was almost sad that the run ended at Satan, I was looking to roll into the Dark Room and wreck poo poo.

Solar System, Cat Got Your Tongue and Beans! are IMO the hardest challenges on the list and become much more manageable if you can score Rotten Baby. Suicide King looks like it'll be hard until you get Whip Worm and/or Flying

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ I don't think Solar System is as hard since the flies do so much damage. And in Cat Got Your Tongue you only need a familiar to spawn flies for you and you're good to go. Beans is a bitch though.

Golden God in Rebirth is just beating all end bosses iirc.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I just dicked around with cat got your tongue and it gives you evil hearts so you can't grind off bugs to build up the hairball mass. Also in addition to that every fly you kill spawns a fly which will then kill a fly so you can't even grind with perfect control. THat's evil. Oops stubbed my toe oops whole floor is killed again. And now I'm covered in friendly flies so the next room is clear too.

The range feels awful. I'm running in circles trying to get this thing going and I have to just barely not touch someone to bop them. Died to chad on floor 3.

How do I know when hairball has claimed enough bugs and is max damage/size?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

drunken officeparty posted:

So what exactly are the requirements for golden god? I just got it out of nowhere.

Just beating Chest and Dark Room.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Finally got Dark Boy. Did it on a Hard run as ??? even. Holy Mantle on the first floor is pretty great.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Krinkle posted:

How do I know when hairball has claimed enough bugs and is max damage/size?

Stop min/maxing and just get through each room while taking as little damage as possible. Quite often the opposite of what you described will happen: you'll touch a monster with the hairball, a fly will pop out, hit it, NOT kill it, and then the hairball finishes it off (happens more on later floors, when it matters to have a bigger hairball). Stop forcing it, let the growth happen naturally while focusing on dodging and getting a good swing going. Spam Guppy's Head. Do it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

How do you deal with the Haunt as the Lost? I haven't beaten them yet except for when I got technology to take potshots at the big guy form the bottom of the screen. If you stand right in front of him he hits you with the spread shot and if you stand to the side of him he charges into you.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
A really fun combination is Anti-Gravity, Mom's eye, Spirit of the Night, and Ring Worm. Fly around and unleash spinning balls of whirling death all around you.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
Stand below and hope to dodge the spreadshot.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Felix_Cat posted:

Stand below and hope to dodge the spreadshot.

Yeah. Also despite the regular complaining I see in this thread about how he doesn't telegraph his brimstone attack, he totally does telegraph his brimstone attack; when he opens his mouth, move out of the way.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

How do you deal with the Haunt as the Lost? I haven't beaten them yet except for when I got technology to take potshots at the big guy form the bottom of the screen. If you stand right in front of him he hits you with the spread shot and if you stand to the side of him he charges into you.

Bombs. He gets stuck on them and they do a lot of damage, you can kill him in three if you've the resources for it. I find his stupid little ghost partners to be more problematic.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Bloody Penny and Portable Slot with Cain. lol

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

It takes 11 completions in Rebirth, so everything's OK. Killing Satan still counts as a normal completion for unlocks.

Great, thanks!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Is there a cap to how many little followers you can get on one playthrough? I think the most I've ever had at once is three, tops. :psyduck:

Dark Bum is just the best, by the way. I found him early in my latest Hard mode run (in a regular treasure room, even!) and almost managed to get all the way to Mom's Heart despite the game not giving me much else worthwhile besides The Bible.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think you could theoretically get all of the followers in a single run, you just won't.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ashsaber posted:

So what are people's thoughts on Azazel?
He's OP and that's not a bad thing, demolishing everything easy is nice once in a while.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

So what are people's thoughts on Azazel? I personally think he's my new favorite character, replacing Cain since Luck Foot was nerfed. My first Azazel Run to actually go anywhere was pretty hilarious though, ended up fighting Issac, and because I had been killing things so fast and using Guppy's Head constantly I went into the fight with like ~25 flies and 5 spiders, who killed Issac before I could even charge my shot.

Massive Damage + Flight is just so good.

Still need to unlock Maggy and finally open the chest after beating Mom's Heart though, it was too tempting to continue the last couple times I beat it.

I play him when I want to have an easy run, which is nice to have that option.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Wow, that's kind of lovely. I just entered a devil room after the Mom fight, then came back out. The devil room door then shifted to the south wall, so that I picked up the Negative immediately on leaving. Welp, hope I can beat the Lamb!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

He's harder than ??? but probably easier than Satan. The problem is that the Dark Room has four red chests instead of gold ones at the start.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

He's harder than ??? but probably easier than Satan. The problem is that the Dark Room has four red chests instead of gold ones at the start.

Apparently entering the Chest with the left hand also gives you four red chests. I found this out the hard way.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Che Delilas posted:

Stop min/maxing and just get through each room while taking as little damage as possible. Quite often the opposite of what you described will happen: you'll touch a monster with the hairball, a fly will pop out, hit it, NOT kill it, and then the hairball finishes it off (happens more on later floors, when it matters to have a bigger hairball). Stop forcing it, let the growth happen naturally while focusing on dodging and getting a good swing going. Spam Guppy's Head. Do it.

This was really good advice. I didn't know I had an active. Or I noticed it but assumed I picked it up and it wasn't the one that burped tears everywhere so I forgot what it did.

I just died in a room where there were six corny turds and invincible flies circling them. Game over right? There's literally nothing I can do to clear the poop, the flies hurt me but I can't hurt them, and I can't do poo poo to the other guys walking in between them so making circles to get the hairball going gets me killed and that's that.

I got a krampus head is that more useful to me than flies for this challenge?

Haha goddamn but the haunt is a bitch to kill with this hairball.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 20, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Lamb isn't really so tough, but if you don't know his attack patterns he'll probably whoop you pretty good. Same with a lot of stuff. The areas leading up to him are much harder than the boss itself.

Also thanks to Emperor Card and Broken Watch for getting me an easy Dead Boy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Rollersnake posted:

Is there a cap to how many little followers you can get on one playthrough? I think the most I've ever had at once is three, tops. :psyduck:

Dark Bum is just the best, by the way. I found him early in my latest Hard mode run (in a regular treasure room, even!) and almost managed to get all the way to Mom's Heart despite the game not giving me much else worthwhile besides The Bible.

If you use sharp plug+monster manual you can even have multiples of the same familiar. The only hard limit I know of is 3 orbitals, except the flesh-colored fat fly that revolves on its own schedule.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, I've beaten the Lamb before, I just wasn't confident of my ability to do it on that particular Eve run since I'd picked up Tiny Planet earlier. I ended up managing it after having to clear the entire dark room, then beating Mega Satan for the first time to boot. Even though Three Dollar Bill decided to give me the vanishing tears effect from Apoptosis Proptosis for the entire fight. So I may have misjudged that slightly. :)

(It turns out that Tiny Planet is totally obscene if you have a source of homing, and I picked up Sacred Heart.)

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 20, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I've gotten Sacred Heart twice in this game so far. On two runs in a row! Those two runs?? Maggie and Judas jobbing on their way to helping me unlock the Lost.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
The hardest part of The Lamb is surviving the handful of double Adversary rooms you will get on your way to him.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Can anyone confirm that Steven will actually drop Steven if you haven't gotten Little Steven before hand, because I'm starting to go crazy trying to get this last item to drop.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

How do you deal with the Adversary's laser attack? Just ruined a really good lost run. I tried circling around and that didn't work.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ariong posted:

How do you deal with the Adversary's laser attack? Just ruined a really good lost run. I tried circling around and that didn't work.

Circle around at close-medium range and pretty much never stop. To be extra safe, do this but stop and go back in the other direction if you are going to cross his line of sight.

Einwand posted:

Can anyone confirm that Steven will actually drop Steven if you haven't gotten Little Steven before hand, because I'm starting to go crazy trying to get this last item to drop.

The one time I did this it worked and every time I kill the big one I get Lil' Steve.

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church
This sucks. Finally get a good Eve run going on hard mode. First floor, I find a quarter, a tears up pill, and a bandage ball. I get an X-ray vision on the second floor and then run into a dead end. There's no way to get to the other side without bombs and there's no more drops on my side of the map. This was the most poorly designed room that can end any run.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I think I am just going to focus on regular Platinum God first before attempting getting The Lost unlocks or if there's a patch buffing him (if there ever is one).

Can someone give me a site that has a list of all the Secrets in order so I can see what I am missing for regular Platinum God? I just can't find one. :(

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

octobernight posted:

This sucks. Finally get a good Eve run going on hard mode. First floor, I find a quarter, a tears up pill, and a bandage ball. I get an X-ray vision on the second floor and then run into a dead end. There's no way to get to the other side without bombs and there's no more drops on my side of the map. This was the most poorly designed room that can end any run.

They really need to fix this bullshit and the mandatory damage spike room.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

It's hard, you just have to keep within a certain distance. If you get too close to too far away it'll hit you. I don't have a great strategy for dodging it. He's by far the worst of the generic bosses, in my opinion.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

It seems that complaining about Steven on internet forums is the solution to getting Steven to drop. Next up is going back to the lost without the dead cat bug.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Adversary's brimstone shot curves near the middle, so if you stay a middling distance away and aren't standing in a cardinal direction from him when he fires it, you'll fit into the curve and it'll go right around you. Too close and you're hosed. Too far away and you're SUPER hosed because it lasts just long enough to hit you twice like the brimstone spiders'.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Beans! is the dumbest poo poo ever. I got a brimstone baby that carried me through it and still ended with like 5 bombs. I have no idea how you're expected to do that challenge without getting a lucky drop because its insanity.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eden run: Start with Options, How to Jump, 3 hearts, decent stats, Balls of Steel Pill in my inventory and find quad shot on the first floor.

I'm going to get horribly, horribly hosed somehow to balance out this start, right?

Edit: Aand the floor 2 item room is Tough Love. So now I've got quad-shot with random teef.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 20, 2014

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

I just realized I cant walk down (S key) while shooting up. Is this the way the game works or some sort of bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
To the people who know which secrets these are, can you tell me what they are so I can see what I am missing for Platinum God? Here's the numers:

64, 69, 83, 84, 129, 139, 131, 132, 133, 144, 156, and 175

I know two are forming Super Meat Boy and Dead Boy, but not sure what the others are.