Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Internet Kraken posted:

Beans! is the dumbest poo poo ever. I got a brimstone baby that carried me through it and still ended with like 5 bombs. I have no idea how you're expected to do that challenge without getting a lucky drop because its insanity.

There is one trick to the Beans! challenge, and that's if you're going to spend more than 1 bomb killing the enemies in the room then you should seriously consider just blowing the door open and continuing your progress forward. Also be aware of any familiars or orbitals you have, and use them effectively in order to conserve bombs wherever you can. It does require a bit of luck to finish, but the game does give you options that you might not actually realize are viable options.

Also, before doing the challenges make sure you have donated enough to the store to give you 2 big items. That can cut down on the RNG-ness of those challenges, and increase your chances for getting a Bible. You might also consider coming back to a challenge later after having unlocked more cool items that can come in handy.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
Had a weird thing happen possibly due to dead cat. I had dead cat, half a soul heart and no red hearts (due to a previous devil deal). I go into the next devil room and there's two offers each for three soul hearts which I figure I won't be able to take. But it lets me pick them both up, and doesn't even deduct my last half soul heart. Apparently just gave them to me for free.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Kawalimus posted:

Not just blocking shots but the meat and bandage orbitals deal a poo poo TON of damage just on their own if you're good enough at maneuvering to not get hit yourself. You can mow enemies down with those things, they're insane in this game. You could do it in the first game too but I feel like they do more in this one.

I'm glad I'm not the only one willing to get up close and personal with the meat cube. Early in the game if you don't have any damage ups, careful play with a meat cube or bandage ball lets you mow down enemies really quickly, then late in the game you still have a shot blocker.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Waffleopolis posted:

To the people who know which secrets these are, can you tell me what they are so I can see what I am missing for Platinum God? Here's the numers:

64, 69, 83, 84, 129, 139, 131, 132, 133, 144, 156, and 175

I know two are forming Super Meat Boy and Dead Boy, but not sure what the others are.

In order:

Counterfeit Penny, Platinum God, Dead Boy, Real Platinum God, Isaac's Heart, Wire Coat Hanger (did you mean 130, which is Mind?), Body, Soul, D100, Super Meat Boy, Godhead, and -0- Baby.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

I just realized I cant walk down (S key) while shooting up. Is this the way the game works or some sort of bug?

Probably your keyboard, some just don't support certain key combinations. You might want to look into a new keyboard that supports "n-key rollover".

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008

One of my more ridiculous looking runs. That's a giant orbiting Ludvico coal scythe. For the monsters it was really a question of whether it would be that or the horde of angry flies and spiders that would murder them first.

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

NickPancakes posted:

Probably your keyboard, some just don't support certain key combinations. You might want to look into a new keyboard that supports "n-key rollover".

Ah yeah you're right I just tested it my keyboard is messed up. Never had a key combination stop working like this before. Weird.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I've just started, but had the most fun, unique run to date.

Midas Touch as the first item, quickly followed by Item Martyr, Aries, Fanny Pack, Cancer, and way too much HP.

HBFK J732 to buy out every shop in the game.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 20, 2014

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

AnonSpore posted:

In order:

Counterfeit Penny, Platinum God, Dead Boy, Real Platinum God, Isaac's Heart, Wire Coat Hanger (did you mean 130, which is Mind?), Body, Soul, D100, Super Meat Boy, Godhead, and -0- Baby.

I probably meant 130, I already have the Wire Coathanger secret. Thank you! :)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Alright I got a good load out and the compass so I can make it to the boss on the right path. I actually have a decent shot at getting Dead boy for once!"

:bang:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Basement 1: "Wow! I found Ludvico Technique for the first time!"

Caves 1: "Wow! Fire Mind! That would make a cool combo!"

Depths 1: "Wow! gently caress this!"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rocketlex posted:

Basement 1: "Wow! I found Ludvico Technique for the first time!"

Caves 1: "Wow! Fire Mind! That would make a cool combo!"

Depths 1: "Wow! gently caress this!"

Let me guess, explosions? :v:

If you get Pyromania, Fire Mind's no longer an issue. Though a better thing to hope for (at least probability wise) is probably another status effect to overwrite the fire shot. You'll still get the damage up and DOT on hit, but if you get something like shielding tears it will strip the "explodes in your face" effect.

That being said, the flame the explosion leaves behind will do absolutely comical things to a boss's health bar.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Alkydere posted:

Let me guess, explosions? :v:

If you get Pyromania, Fire Mind's no longer an issue. Though a better thing to hope for (at least probability wise) is probably another status effect to overwrite the fire shot. You'll still get the damage up and DOT on hit, but if you get something like shielding tears it will strip the "explodes in your face" effect.

That being said, the flame the explosion leaves behind will do absolutely comical things to a boss's health bar.

The problem wasn't the explosions hurting me. The problem was that exploding kills the Ludvico tear, causing a new one to spawn wherever you're standing. It's super-disorienting because you have no idea when it will happen.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the reason people only bring up ludivico technique or whatever with brimstone is because it frequently ends up as hot, nasty trash otherwise because it takes a lot of modifiers and stats to even be remotely worth having your ability to shoot being taken away in favor of a single, slow as gently caress tear that's annoying to move around

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the way i see it either you bring the tear to the enemy or the enemy to the tear :v:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Tollymain posted:

the way i see it either you bring the tear to the enemy or the enemy to the tear :v:

Oh, yeah, Magnetic Tears, those goes well with Ludovico. :v:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

the reason people only bring up ludivico technique or whatever with brimstone is because it frequently ends up as hot, nasty trash otherwise because it takes a lot of modifiers and stats to even be remotely worth having your ability to shoot being taken away in favor of a single, slow as gently caress tear that's annoying to move around

It's obviously not at its best then, but I think the benefit of having your damage completely dissociated location-wise from your character is pretty valuable. A little higher base speed *would* go a long way, though.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I noticed increasing Shot Speed did make it go faster, but only a little. Not enough to keep up with War's second form, I'll tell you that.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

If you get whip worm (or whichever one is the long thin one that maxes your shot speed) then your ludovico tear is great. It was keeping up with charging Chubs. But in general I think it could use a little more speed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i generally value being able to directly defend myself more than attempting to stand across the room and hover a damage field over things in a game where a lot of the nastier poo poo has a habit of leaping at you or teleporting nearby, to be honest

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
If I had Ludvico and flight, so I could perch on a rock while my tear clears the room, then we'd have something. No such luck so far, though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Brimstone+Anti-gravity tears is pretty cool looking.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Ludovico technique is like all the other items where if you have a good build to support it then it's a neat item, but you should probably not take it if it shows up on Basement 1 or Cellar 1. There was a time where I put Brimstone in that category as well because with certain characters the damage was just too little and the charge time so long that I'd just end up getting killed with it. The same thing for Mom's Knife. Over time I got better with those, and I pick them up more often now. I think all the worms in Rebirth are kind of not great, but on a run where I had Ipecac having a whip worm to give my shots more reach was a pretty neat thing.

I know people like to talk about the relative strength of items a lot, but the thing about Isaac is that most of the items have some kind of use in the right circumstances. Dead Cat is an example of an item people frequently toss in the garbage pile without realizing that if you've already traded away your red hearts, it will actually be a health upgrade. In Rebirth it now synergizes with Whore of Babylon, and there's more guppy items so it's likelier to bring you closer to Guppy state. Dead Cat was an item I considered amazingly lovely for a long time, but that changed as I put more hours into the game.

I think Ludovico technique will be like that. People will get better at playing with it, learn what you need to make use of it well, and probably start to think it's middling to fair in terms of value.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 20, 2014

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If I SAM the meat boy achievement does that unlock the item in game? I spent two hours trying to get all four horsemen to spawn and the game told me to gently caress off, so...

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Just managed to beat ??? on Hard with the Lost! I found Dead Cat on the first floor, then managed to turn into Guppy by Caves 2. With Hive Mind and a few attack upgrades I basically just let my flies do most of the work, with Punching Bag and Book of Shadows to avoid getting hit. I ended up winning with 3 lives to spare.

Still gotta do Satan/Lamb.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

RatHat posted:

Brimstone+Anti-gravity tears is pretty cool looking.

On the subject of Anti-Gravity tears, there are a lot of cool synergies with them, but Proptosis is not one of them. Run ruined. :(

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
If we're talking Ludovico, I'm just gonna say this now. Do NOT take it into the boss rush room.

Bosses are hectic. Big rooms are hectic. Combining them both turned my winning Judas run into a terrified scramble for survival as I had to run away from bosses while also keeping track of my ridiculous tear.

It was all fine and dandy until I got to Death and War. Tracking myself, my tear, the scythes, the charges, the Knights, and the troll bomb was just too much. It felt so, so good cheesing both Infamy and Bloat, though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ludovico is super strong but it's miserable if you get it with slow shot speed.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I can't even play as Isaac any more because of my crippling compulsion to never drop the D6 and to roll absolutely everything until it ends up being some piece of poo poo item and I'm out of charges.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Tech 0.5 + 1 + 2 + Triple Shot and a ton of damage up items = a really easy run.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

The Bee posted:

It was all fine and dandy until I got to Death and War. Tracking myself, my tear, the scythes, the charges, the Knights, and the troll bomb was just too much. It felt so, so good cheesing both Infamy and Bloat, though.

Yeah, I went from a plethora of soul/black hearts to half a black heart dealing with that piece of poo poo. It was the thing I picked up in the boss rush room, too. Does that thing have any good synergies at all? I mean, the brimstone and mom's knife synergies are OK, but I'd rather just have either item alone. I've had more Cursed Eye runs succeed than Ludo runs.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Holy poo poo, I just had a great the Lost run. I got guppy mode, including 9 lives, triple shot, moms wig, and a bunch of damage ups. Made it all to the Dark Room before I ran out of lives and unfortunately died to The Lamb.

Fortunately, I killed him just as I died and it counted. Not sure why the screenshots came out with that yellow tint to them. It doesn't look like that on my screen while playing. Might have to do with setting the Gamma to 150.

Kinda sucks I died during the Boss Rush, damned red poop, cause even with nine lives you don't get another shot at that till next run.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

Zeron posted:

Tech 0.5 + 1 + 2 + Triple Shot and a ton of damage up items = a really easy run.

Does Tech 1 actually combine with triple shot meaningfully? In my experience, Technology doesn't seem to combo with much, except the worm trinkets.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Actually I think Tech 0.5 was the only one that triple shot worked on.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Quad shot works with tech 1 just fine, so I would think triple would, too.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Nope, it was only Tech 0.5 that triple shot worked for.

I just ran into the most amazing Library room. One book on a pedestal in the center, with 4 more in the corners behind a single lock each. I'm playing as Isaac with the D6, I think this run is a winner(and the item pool isn't just books hahaha)..

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Tech 1 definitely works with triple shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZk1hg6-bOo
(it looks sorta like tech 2 in this video but that's just because I have soy milk)

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Why does lazarus feel so much more difficult a run than Isaac even though they have the same stats?

I finally killed Satan. I broke the game by finding out infinite money through abusing a portable blood bank and that buff that gives you a soul heart when you are down to 1/2 every time you enter a new room, and then the slots machine broke and gave me a dollar so I maxed out my donation box and bought out every shop from 2-whenever they stop existing. And then I took a chance on a skills shuffle in a dice room and when I came to I had like eight babies following me, somehow didn't take damage no matter what bulletstorm hell I sat in, and controlled one huge psychic flying bob's head bomb bullet that didn't hurt me (thank gently caress) and one-shot most bosses.

The hardest part was wedging myself in a corner, and trying to keep the bomb on me so when it finally went off satan's foot would get hit. He was the only one who didn't get ridiculously dunked on but at the same time nothing he did hurt me and I don't know why because even though it shuffled my items around it still listed my old items that don't exist anymore.

Anyway that's cool I haven't played this game for years but I never beat Satan. I thought I'd never get to see judas again since they moved his requirement back.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Does 9 lives still work for you guys with the Lost? I picked it up on a Lost run, but died at the first hit without coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Krinkle posted:

Why does lazarus feel so much more difficult a run than Isaac even though they have the same stats?

Because they don't. Lazarus has very bad range and feels like he might have a slight damage penalty.