Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
Yeah Tri-Ace is serious graphics business. I suspect Square benefits from having them as part of their company.

http://research.tri-ace.com/

They got a physics based rendering engine running on the PS3...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cuXgRVMvZ0

While I appreciate those things I couldn't give less of a poo poo about anything Square has made after Final Fantasy 6 (excluding Tactics and FF12) so none of this matters to me. Radiata stories 2 please. Or something else, no more Cliff Launchpad McDuck Fittir or worse.

SelenicMartian posted:

You'd better like the combat, because there's a lot of it and once you get it there's little need to adjust the tactics.

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVibNKrp8sQ

Tri-Ace supposedly helped with CG in FF 13-2 and Lightning Returns. The valkyrie transformation near the end of 13-2 is just like the into scene of VP. But LR is very much a remake of Valkyrie Profile 1.

Then the better ones must have just been happy coincidences or something. Sometimes things just work right. Kind of like Event Horizon. I love that movie but literally every single movie that guy has directed since then has been hot garbage.

Mill Village posted:

Actually, most of Tri-Ace's games are made by the same people. Yoshiharu Gotanda, one of the founding members of Tri-Ace, directed Star Ocean 2, 3, and Valkyrie Profile. The biggest staff changes are in Radiata Stories, VP2, SO4, and Resonance of Fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

evilskillit posted:

While I appreciate those things I couldn't give less of a poo poo about anything Square has made after Final Fantasy 6 (excluding Tactics and FF12) so none of this matters to me.
Is that after merger with Enix in which Enix came out on top?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Erg posted:

I forgot about the weird Chopin game. Are the fights fun? I'm willing to put up with a lot of dumb poo poo for a good battle system (Tales of Graces f)

I wouldn't say Chopinime has a good battle system at all. It portrays itself as having Tales-type combat, but it's pretty much turn-based with barely-functioning timed attacks. The programmers pretty much didn't understand the damage formulas they programmed themselves and there are tons of unbalanced enemies in the game--and I don't even mean "oh bosses can get rough," I mean, "most random encounters are like dragging the world's fattest comatose man through a swamp." iirc healing items are prohibitively expensive, there's no natural healing between fights, and Chopin's creepy incestuous twelve-year-old love interest stand-in for his sister is both at once the most annoying character and the only one who gets free healing magic--and that's very big shoes to fill, because every single character in the entire game is utterly insufferable. Dungeons are long and some of them have trial-and-error puzzles that take way too long to walk around and find the results of your error so you can try it again.

Also, the game is trying to fill a pintglass with a thousand liters of pretentious existentialist pseudo-philosophy. As in there's more bullshit about "but what if we don't really exist????!?!!?!?!" than there is actual exposition.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
All I remember from Eternal Sonata is the combat system somehow getting less fun as it "upgraded" itself and a hilarious nine minute monologue of a death scene.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

SelenicMartian posted:

Is that after merger with Enix in which Enix came out on top?

Not sure if I follow. It looks like Tri-Ace is still an independent company and must do work for Square on a contract basis or something.

The Squenix merger? I haven't been paying close enough attention to the grand scheme of things to know how that worked out for everyone involved. Personally I was a FFanboy from the first till 7, they lost me after 7. I never identified as an Enix fan, tho in retrospect they at least published some really great stuff that I enjoyed a lot like Actraiser and anything Quintet made.

evilskillit fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 20, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol if you don't like ff9

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

lol if you don't like ff9
I don't like FF9 :colbert:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

lol

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

Vivi

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mystic Quest is better than FF9.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Nate RFB posted:

look at this loving troll, not even putting effort in

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Nate RFB posted:

That's not a fair comparison, Mystic Quest rocks.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
FF7 and 8 made me quit giving a poo poo so hard I barely even tried 9 tho I heard it was good. If I ever end up with infinite free time I'll check it out again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Coughing Hobo posted:

That's not a fair comparison, Mystic Quest rocks.
It does! I loved that game. Never bought it for whatever reason though, just rented it a million times over a Summer vacation until I finally beat it.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

evilskillit posted:

FF7 and 8 made me quit giving a poo poo so hard I barely even tried 9 tho I heard it was good. If I ever end up with infinite free time I'll check it out again.

Just remember to steal steal steal until the real combat begins. Also in the intro be obtuse 100 times (or was it more?)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Dackel posted:

Just remember to steal steal steal until the real combat begins. Also in the intro be obtuse 100 times (or was it more?)

64 i think?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The best part of Resonance of Fate is how there's a big epic plot going on and the main characters literally don't give a poo poo or even get involved until the final couple of chapters. They're just running their mercenary business while the evil person or something is putting all his plans into place.

Honestly I'd have preferred the game if they never got involved at all, and if one of there jobs just happened to involve taking down the big bad, saving the world.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Resonance of Fate is a really loving weird game, you guys. The gameplay gets stale, but I'd say it's worth picking up for the bizarre humor and huge amounts of pretty princess dressup with your characters. Aviators on everyone, always.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

huge amounts of pretty princess dressup with your characters. Aviators on everyone, always.
Best part, all of the outfit changes show up on the models in the cutscenes. Beating the entire game in the animal costumes is something special.

If only the gun mods also rendered.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nate RFB posted:

I'd say they're on the same level, GOONKID

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Resonance of Fate is a really loving weird game, you guys. The gameplay gets stale, but I'd say it's worth picking up for the bizarre humor and huge amounts of pretty princess dressup with your characters. Aviators on everyone, always.

This looks stupid in the best possible way, and playing dressup is one of my favorite parts of the Tales series. Sold.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
freedom wars gets really stupid later in the game, with combos from enemies that lock you from full to dead no matter what and fights against two giant monsters while you do little to no damage even with upgraded weapons

the sever system for getting items is cool but ultimately the game just gets frustrating as hell

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Resonance of Fate is basically a slice of life show that happens to go RPG in the last chapter or so, and what people would want in a JRPG when people bitched about FF15 being all guys.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
RoF is seriously worth a play for almost everyone who would read this thread. You might not dig it enough to finish, and you will eventually figure out the One Thing you need to do to win every fight, but you'll almost certainly get your money's worth.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
Guess I really need to play that thing, the biggest holdup is I like to play at my desk. I play old emulated stuff PS2 and older as well as GC and Wii at my desk and I play PC games, I never did pick up VC for the PS3 but am currently playing it on PC. So if they'd port it to PC or if PS3 emulation hurries up and gets here, that'll go a long way towards me playing it. I don't know why I'm a desk gaming anti console curmudgeon. Basically the only thing I ever used my PS3 for is Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Even those I'd have preferred to play on my monitor, but it doesn't support HDCP, so that restricts my PS3 to the TV. So of course I switched to PC when they came out and never looked back. I'm weird.

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

RoF is seriously worth a play for almost everyone who would read this thread. You might not dig it enough to finish, and you will eventually figure out the One Thing you need to do to win every fight, but you'll almost certainly get your money's worth.

evilskillit fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 20, 2014

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Srice posted:

The gameplay is fine but as for the other stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

I'd ask for context for that scene, but somehow I suspect the only thing context would add is that the girl who looks 12 is actually a 7,000 demon or something who just looks 12, etc etc :japan:.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

RoF also has a Christmas chapter. Best game. :colbert:

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

DrProsek posted:

I'd ask for context for that scene, but somehow I suspect the only thing context would add is that the girl who looks 12 is actually a 7,000 demon or something who just looks 12, etc etc :japan:.

I remember in the datalogs they try and write around the fact that she looks like a Precious Moments doll by saying that summoning the dog on fire physically and mentally stunted her into a 6 year old, and she's like 16 or something. Still doesn't excuse that poo poo in the slightest, and she's a pretty lovely character in her own right besides the whole "is a perpetual child" thing, even if that part is most of her characterization anyways.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Its too bad Lymle has such a bad character design, because she's pretty fun to use in battle. Her dog kills things pretty fast.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Forest Thief Pud posted:

I remember in the datalogs they try and write around the fact that she looks like a Precious Moments doll by saying that summoning the dog on fire physically and mentally stunted her into a 6 year old, and she's like 16 or something. Still doesn't excuse that poo poo in the slightest, and she's a pretty lovely character in her own right besides the whole "is a perpetual child" thing, even if that part is most of her characterization anyways.

The funniest thing about that is that's a complete throwaway line in the glossary. From what I remember, it never even comes up slightly in any of the cutscenes or dialogue.

Star Ocean 4 is a very bad game, please don't play it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The funniest thing about that is that's a complete throwaway line in the glossary. From what I remember, it never even comes up slightly in any of the cutscenes or dialogue.
I wonder if it's in the glossary in the japanese version of the game.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I was actually kind of enjoying the game (for what it is) until Lymle showed up, pretty much tanking my interest.

"Edgey. Rei-Rei." :geno:

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

dmboogie posted:

I was actually kind of enjoying the game (for what it is) until Lymle showed up, pretty much tanking my interest.

"Edgey. Rei-Rei." :geno:

I pretty much lost interest right after the game showed up from Gamefly and I put it in my PS3. But I had a feeling after SO3 it would be junk. I enjoyed S03 for the mechanics and the sillines. I kept calling Cliff Launchpad and it only got better, but then my characters found out they were in a MMO and broke the 4th wall into the real world and I just set my controller down and walked away.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jean is totally Alphinaud

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

evilskillit posted:

I pretty much lost interest right after the game showed up from Gamefly and I put it in my PS3. But I had a feeling after SO3 it would be junk. I enjoyed S03 for the mechanics and the sillines. I kept calling Cliff Launchpad and it only got better, but then my characters found out they were in a MMO and broke the 4th wall into the real world and I just set my controller down and walked away.

Not only that, but it also completely ruined the point of the first two games.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Variant_Eris posted:

Not only that, but it also completely ruined the point of the first two games.

I refuse to consider that they're related or that the events of the 3rd are in any way related to the first two.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

If it makes you feel any better, one of the developers for SO4 said SO3 was kinda its own thing and the other games don't happens in the Eternal Sphere.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

evilskillit posted:

You are a cool cat and all but yeah, this is wrong, so wrong. FFVII was phenomenal for its time. FFVIII, eh, I liked it but it wasn't the best FF. The biggest issue with FFVII (besides that it aged terribly, those polys) was the iffy translation. It's a great game and I've been playing FF and Dragon Quest (well, Dragon Warrior) since they first came out for NES.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Star Ocean 4 is a very bad game, please don't play it.

I also kind of liked SO3. It was not a great game by any means but it was entertaining. That said, I haven't read up anything on SO4 and only got PS3 in 2012 so naturally started looking for RPGs. Saw SO4 international edition (whatever it's called) on Amazon for $17 and thought that's a steal. This story did not end with happiness. What a terrible, terrible, terrible game. It does have an excellent 80's action movie protagonist name though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

oblomov posted:

You are a cool cat and all but yeah, this is wrong, so wrong. FFVII was phenomenal for its time.

Yeah, you'll find that I'm in the minority on FF7 dislike. Maybe the game could just never live up to the hype. I looked forward to FF7 so hard. I was going to get my nutrients from FF7 when it came out, I wouldn't need food anymore. Whatever followed 2 and 3 had to be the best thing ever.

I didn't care for the early 3d graphics but I enjoyed the game at first. Disc 1 was interesting but things started feeling kind of weak half way through the second disk. I suspect they planned for more but ran over time and budget. The 3rd disk hardly had any actual content, just free roaming the world and mopping up the crazy rear end story that ended up not really being all that interesting. Then the end, the end was such a total non-event. By the time I finished it I was pretty unhappy. I went back and played a bit more and tried to like it. I probably played 80+ hours so I definitely got my $50 worth, but it was the beginning of the end of Square for me. But I probably also have brain damage because you won't find nearly as many people who agree with me on this as disagree.

You'll find that I'm largely a curmudgeony bastard with lovely opinions in the long run, so there's that.

evilskillit fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 21, 2014