Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

My Imaginary GF posted:

My point. Morality is constantly in flux and is used as an ex post facto justification of policy implementation. Morality helps your policy after its implemented; it does little towards getting it implemented in the first place.

Hmm, yes, the moral views put forth by candidates during elections have little to no impact on the outcome of policy in this country. Wow, that was difficult to type out with a straight face.

quote:

They're better than the wrongs which come without an amoral political system.

There is no such thing as an amoral political system. Politics, law, and morality are all tightly intertwined. The fact that your personal morality is poo poo isn't really relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

down with slavery posted:

Hmm, yes, the moral views put forth by candidates during elections have little to no impact on the outcome of policy in this country. Wow, that was difficult to type out with a straight face.

There is no such thing as an amoral political system. Politics, law, and morality are all tightly intertwined. The fact that your personal morality is poo poo isn't really relevant.

gently caress, at this point I want him to show me an amoral political system that isn't constantly appealing to emotions and morality.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 20, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

down with slavery posted:

Democratic capitalism is pretty amoral in its politics.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

My Imaginary GF posted:

Democratic capitalism is pretty amoral in its politics.

No it's not. It's just the morals of the people in power are poo poo.

Again, you cannot divorce politics, law and morality. Just stop trying, it's really really dumb.

Our system is pretty immoral, not amoral

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
And that is a problem that needs to be addressed, not a thing to take as given.

Edit: And it's less dumb than it is outright, honest-to-god evil.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

My Imaginary GF posted:

My point. Morality is constantly in flux and is used as an ex post facto justification of policy implementation. Morality helps your policy after its implemented; it does little towards getting it implemented in the first place.

Your argument for segregation was a ex post facto justification. It's nothing but feel good bullshit used to say that Israeli citizens would feel safer because the Palestinians are no longer going to cause problems. It's just standard procedure for Israelis to ignore any systemic problems with their government and rely on the IDF fixing their problems when things blow up inevitably.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Doflamingo posted:

The current Israeli government is like a child looking for any excuse to start a fight; perhaps it's best not to give them one so when they finally do go on the offensive anyway they won't have a scapegoat to fall back on. The international community will surely step in then.. right? :(

This isn't a reasonable standard, though. When "any Palestinian-on-Israeli violent crime" is sufficient excuse to start a fight, that means that avoiding a fight basically means stopping crime completely. Even ignoring the active oppression and theft of land and all that stuff, it is just plain impossible to get to such a level of harmony within a community that nobody - not a single person - gets beaten, murdered, or robbed at gunpoint for several years in a row, especially when Israelis are not held to the same standard. It's a literally impossible standard which exists solely to give racists an excuse to blame the victim when a colonial power decides to brutally suppress an ethnic group.

team overhead smash posted:

The situation in Israel and the oPT gives the Palestinians the right to resistance, including armed resistance, but this is still within certain constraints. I find the South Africa analogy very apt and just like in South Africa although violent resistance was allowable, it was only possible if directed at legitimate targets and in the normal acceptable bounds of a war.

To quote a summary of the TRC report:

At no point have I said that Palestinians shouldn't fight or that Israel isn't the one with the onus to act (in fact I said the exact opposite a page or two ago). I am not some pacifist saying that Palestinians should lie down and accept their situation. They have the right to resistance which includes armed and violent resistance even when it is labelled as terrorism.

If the perpetrators of this attack had attacked some IDF soldiers at a checkpoint instead, fine. If they'd fired mortar into a military outpost you wouldn't hear me complain. If they're strapped suicide belts to themselves and detonated them at some place where they were targeting the military rather than civilians, that's acceptable.

What I am saying is that the war crimes inflicted against Palestinians do not in turn legitimise war crimes being committed against Israel. Although Israel is responsible for the occupation and its other war crimes and such actions do legitimise violent resistance, no-one is holding a gun to the heads of these Palestinian militants and telling them that they have to attack civilians. They have the choice of attacking legitimate military targets or of attacking civilians and it is purely down to the militants that they chose the latter.

It's not just South Africa, though. I can't think of any successful national independence or liberation movement against a resistant colonial power that didn't include at least some violence against civilians. Even the Indian independence movement had plenty of terrorism and violence involved; Gandhi gets all the credit for Britain letting India go, but it really probably had a lot more to do with the widespread violence that broke out all over India in the wake of WWII, which Britain had no hope of putting down in its exhausted post-war state. Hell, Israel itself doesn't have much right to complain about an independence movement carrying out violence against civilians considering its own history; although Zionist militias were often capable of kidnapping or killing British Army soldiers, they also carried out both indiscriminate and targeted attacks against civilians, and were able to carry out bombings and assassinations against civilians as far away as Rome and London. I hate to say it, but if literally every colony has broken the laws of war agreed on by the colonialist nations then maybe those laws are more idealistic than realistic.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

No one is going to believe your claim that the Israeli government is amoral, MIGF. The Israeli government is deeply religious and very socially conservative.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
So the Palestinian dude who rammed his car into Israeli pedestrians? Israel literally just demolished his loving house, leaving his family with nowhere to live.

Choice quotes (just go read the whole article):

quote:

But on November 6, following two deadly Palestinian attacks in a fortnight, Netanyahu approved plans to knock down or seal up the homes of anyone attacking Israelis as part of a raft of measures to "restore calm" in Jerusalem.
--
B'Tselem says that between October 2001 and January 2005, 664 homes were destroyed across the occupied Palestinian territories, leaving 4,182 people homeless before the defence ministry decided to end the policy following research showing it was not an efficient deterrent and could encourage more violence.
So Netanyahu's officially bringing back punitive demolitions in Israel, and there are already multiple targets:

quote:

Three other families in east Jerusalem have now been formally notified that their homes are slated for demolition.

One is the home of Mohammed Jaabis, 23, from Jabel Mukaber who rammed an earthmover into a bus on August 4, killing an Israeli and wounding five. He was shot dead by police at the scene. Another is that of Muataz Hijazi, 32, from Abu Tor who on October 29 tried to gun down a far-right Jewish activist, critically wounding him. Hijazi was shot dead the following morning during a police raid. The third is the home of Ibrahim Akari, 38, from Shuafat refugee camp who on November 5 rammed his car into pedestrians, killing a teenager and a policeman and wounding nine, before also being shot dead at the scene.

Israel has likewise pledged to raze the homes of Uday and Ghassan Abu Jamal from Jabal Mukaber who on Tuesday were shot dead after attacking a synagogue with meat cleavers and a gun, killing four rabbis at prayer and a policeman.
Now, punishment of family members for sins of the father crimes committed by other family members has a specific law name: Attainder, or the much more metal-sounding "Corruption of Blood". Now, Corruption of Blood has been against the law in America for quite a long time: namely, since the founding of our goddamn country.

Article One, Section Nine of the United States Constitution posted:

No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

If you want to know why Israel's the bad guy in this, here you go: Israel's the bad guy because they literally have "Corruption of Blood" as an official policy that they currently use.

This is a partial re-post from earlier, since it's important and may have gotten lost in the shuffle.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 20, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Job Truniht posted:

No one is going to believe your claim that the Israeli government is amoral, MIGF. The Israeli government is deeply religious and very socially conservative.

The Israeli government is split up between people who are deeply religious, people who are deeply racist, people who are deeply neoliberal, and some combinations thereof. They all feel that they are being entirely moral and justified, and constantly use whatever would most pander to their constituents to further justify their actions.

fade5 posted:

If you want to know why Israel's the bad guy in this, here you go: Israel's the bad guy because they literally have "Corruption of Blood" as an official policy that they currently use.

The most absurd part of this is that the reason this practice had been halted in the past was due to lack of efficacy. It doesn't work but they're doing it anyway to appease constituents.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fade5 posted:

So the Palestinian dude who rammed his car into Israeli pedestrians? Israel literally just demolished his loving house, leaving his family with nowhere to live.

So Netanyahu's officially bringing back punitive demolitions in Israel, and there are already multiple targets:

Now, punishment of family members for sins of the father crimes committed by other family members has a specific law name: Attainder, or the much more metal-sounding "Corruption of Blood". Now, Corruption of Blood has been against the law in America for quite a long time: namely, since the founding of our goddamn country.

This is a partial re-post from earlier, since it's important and may have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Don't forget! If Israeli settlers do this to you, don't expect the cops to give you the time of day, let alone make an arrest.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

fade5 posted:

I'm a little curious where the "bringing back punitive demolitions" line has come from in the media, because they never stopped in the first place. Israel demolished the homes of the kidnapping suspects too, and have punitively demolished several hundred more houses in the ten years since they "stopped" doing punitive demolishments in 2005.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm a little curious where the "bringing back punitive demolitions" line has come from in the media, because they never stopped in the first place. Israel demolished the homes of the kidnapping suspects too, and have punitively demolished several hundred more houses in the ten years since they "stopped" doing punitive demolishments in 2005.

Its more they just randomly demolish houses, until you specifically do something and they they demolish YOUR house.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In case anyone is confused by the sort of posts My Imaginary GF and others make, here's a quick explanation:

My Imaginary GF and other similar posters believe the following: "The world is a complex place and politics can be difficult to understand; ergo, the status quo must be the best possible result because world leaders/politicians have access to the best/most information." Posters like him automatically assume that people in positions of authority - in this case the politicians and other leaders in Israel and the US - must have a more thorough understanding of the situation that is driving their behavior and decisions. This is why their response is the same regardless of what argument you make - they just assume that people in power must be making the best possible choices (or at least better choices than anyone else would make).

Basically, it's a form of the "is/ought" problem, but one that stems from an appeal to authority. It is pointless to argue with them, because no matter how reasonable your argument is or how much data you use to back it up, they will automatically assume that Israeli leaders (in this specific example) must have access to both that data and more when they make their decisions.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Baloogan posted:

There is no common ground, no point in having a discussion with yourself and others like yourself. Which, in its own way, is very scary.

Your government most likely supports Israel. Deal with that before getting your torches lit for a witchhunt. Write your congressman/political representation and watch it be ignored like your other lovely opinions.

I'm Finnish. My government does not support Israel and the populace near universally hates the country. :)

If there is no common ground, that means you indeed are pro-apartheid and pro-colonialism. I don't understand why you just can't come out and say that. I'd be fascinated to discuss why you think apartheid is awesome.

My Imaginary GF posted:

If by 'apartheid and colonialism' you mean 'development of state institutions,' then yes, I stand by Israeli policy. Not only is it easier to do so in America, its very popular, and extremely profitable to do so. Yeah, I won't respond to the shittiest posters, because there is nothing to respond to that will influence them or allow others to gain a finer understanding of the political realities.

Its great and all that so many folks make a moral argument against Israel. Morals don't belong in politics, especially not on a state policy level, and until you can make an economic argument against Israel you won't get anywhere or sway anyone. All you'll get is lip service with no substantive change.

E:

Some context, I was at a UN conference on global education recently and the Palestinian observing representative reported that Gazan attainment of the educational goals was completely halted and not expected to resume until 2017 at the earliest. Pretty obvious this would happen w/r/t Hamas' rocket policy, and now non-Turkish member states are less willing to fund education in Gaza than they are new rockets. poo poo happens, you can anticipate it to occur and mitigate it from a policy standpoint. UN school programs refused to do so, and now they're SOL.

By apartheid and colonialism I mean aparthed and colonialism, both of which Israel is proven to engage in. They are indeed state institutions there. See, you at least have balls to admit that you are pro-apartheid and pro-colonialism, unlike all these other bitches here.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Ytlaya posted:

In case anyone is confused by the sort of posts My Imaginary GF and others make, here's a quick explanation:

My Imaginary GF and other similar posters believe the following: "The world is a complex place and politics can be difficult to understand; ergo, the status quo must be the best possible result because world leaders/politicians have access to the best/most information." Posters like him automatically assume that people in positions of authority - in this case the politicians and other leaders in Israel and the US - must have a more thorough understanding of the situation that is driving their behavior and decisions. This is why their response is the same regardless of what argument you make - they just assume that people in power must be making the best possible choices (or at least better choices than anyone else would make).

Basically, it's a form of the "is/ought" problem, but one that stems from an appeal to authority. It is pointless to argue with them, because no matter how reasonable your argument is or how much data you use to back it up, they will automatically assume that Israeli leaders (in this specific example) must have access to both that data and more when they make their decisions.

Post of the day, D&D, 11/20/2014

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

My Imaginary GF posted:

Some context, I was at a UN conference on global education recently and the Palestinian observing representative reported that Gazan attainment of the educational goals was completely halted and not expected to resume until 2017 at the earliest. Pretty obvious this would happen w/r/t Hamas' rocket policy, and now non-Turkish member states are less willing to fund education in Gaza than they are new rockets. poo poo happens, you can anticipate it to occur and mitigate it from a policy standpoint. UN school programs refused to do so, and now they're SOL.

What you seem to be saying is that Israel isn't fulfilling Article 50 of the Fourth Geneva Convention, requiring occupying powers to facilitate the education of children in occupied territories.

This is a good example of just one of Israel's many more subtle war crimes and it is very good of you to highlight their awful actions in this area. Honestly, I don't know why everyone thinks you are so biased.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

team overhead smash posted:

What you seem to be saying is that Israel isn't fulfilling Article 50 of the Fourth Geneva Convention, requiring occupying powers to facilitate the education of children in occupied territories.

This is a good example of just one of Israel's many more subtle war crimes and it is very good of you to highlight their awful actions in this area. Honestly, I don't know why everyone thinks you are so biased.

Solution: Israel is not an 'occupying power.'

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Yes, them stopping the occupation would help solve the problem.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's not. It's an colonialist power. They're where they are to stay.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

An Angry Bug posted:

Yes, them stopping the occupation would help solve the problem.

For too many in this world, "stopping the occupation" means "ceasing to exist as a nation."

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

IDF wasn't occupying Gaza or Lebanon. They were just there on vacation.

I like how someone can arbitrarily define whether or not Palestine is a state whenever convenient. Israel sure as hell never recognized their sovereignty. See: Them ordering to forcibly disarm their standing army.

My Imaginary GF posted:

For too many in this world, "stopping the occupation" means "ceasing to exist as a nation."

Israel will only cease to exist should they continue unsustainable policy. Your end games you've mentioned in this thread are:

1) Entertain the idea genocide of Palestinians.
2) Entertain the idea of forced segregation.

When the Romans began the diaspora, did the Jews simply cease to exist? No. It did create centuries of ethnic strife, though.

Job Truniht fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 20, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Another Problem: They want that territory. That is part of them being an occupying power, so they can make slow and steady territory gains for settlers. Its part of the 'Right of Return' is only extended to Jews versus Palestinians.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not just South Africa, though. I can't think of any successful national independence or liberation movement against a resistant colonial power that didn't include at least some violence against civilians. Even the Indian independence movement had plenty of terrorism and violence involved; Gandhi gets all the credit for Britain letting India go, but it really probably had a lot more to do with the widespread violence that broke out all over India in the wake of WWII, which Britain had no hope of putting down in its exhausted post-war state. Hell, Israel itself doesn't have much right to complain about an independence movement carrying out violence against civilians considering its own history; although Zionist militias were often capable of kidnapping or killing British Army soldiers, they also carried out both indiscriminate and targeted attacks against civilians, and were able to carry out bombings and assassinations against civilians as far away as Rome and London. I hate to say it, but if literally every colony has broken the laws of war agreed on by the colonialist nations then maybe those laws are more idealistic than realistic.

Of course every law is idealistic, if it was thought that no-one would do such a thing then it wouldn't be illegal and have a punishment attached to it.

Your argument seems to be that in an occupation where an entire people are oppressed, people killing civilians and taking part in other despicable crimes is inevitable. That's quite correct and I'd agree with you, it is an easily foreseeable consequence. Along a long enough time-scale, of course someone is going to attack an innocent when they're put under strain and pressure.

The thing is we're not talking about whether it's inevitable, we're talking about whether it is right and who is responsible.

Assuming they weren't literally insane, the perpetrators consciously chose to attack civilians rather than engaging in any number of legitimate forms of protest. Israel put them in the situation where they have a right to resist, but it did not decide how they had to resist. They could have engaged in non-violent demonstration (with all the problems that involves in an oppressive state like Israel). They could have bombed a military barracks. They could have stabbed an IDF soldier in the face or any other sort of violent and lethal attacks against legitimate military targets.

Instead they decided to deliberately target civilians and nothing Israel did forced them into that decision or made that aspect of it inevitable. That was their choice.

Just like in South Africa or India or Kenya or any other oppressed nation, we empathise with what people are going through and even consider such actions inevitable, but they are still inherently wrong and are the responsibility of the perpetrators.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

I guess "too many" is a subjective term, because it's clearly not the Arab League, Organization of the Islamic StateConference, or most of Europe, as all of them have been consistently for a Two-State solution, which includes a sovereign Israel.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 20, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

Another Problem: They want that territory. That is part of them being an occupying power, so they can make slow and steady territory gains for settlers. Its part of the 'Right of Return' is only extended to Jews versus Palestinians.

Palestinians want Israeli territory. Most Israelis want Palestinian militants gone from their borders. For the Palestinians, the issue is about land. For Israelis, the issue is about people.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
It is not Israel's land, you disingenuous, pedantic, evil excuse for a human being.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

My Imaginary GF posted:

Palestinians want Israeli territory. Most Israelis want Palestinian militants gone from their borders. For the Palestinians, the issue is about land. For Israelis, the issue is about people.

The opposite reading is true.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I guess "too many" is a subjective term, because it's clearly not the Arab League, Organization of Islamic State, or most of Europe, as all of them have been consistently for a Two-State solution, which includes a sovereign Israel.

Oh goddamit now he's gonna ejaculate about the mighty Jordanian Army all over this thread.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MIGF I would appreciate it if you responded to my posts.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh so now it's the "Well, you might be right but some anti-semites say words similar to the words you're saying and we can all see how that's a big problem that justifies everything Israel does" argument?

MIGF can you just stop, please, we get it, Israel is an ally, Arabs are not, always back your allies, governments are immoral, bad things happen. We Get It.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

My Imaginary GF posted:

Putting aside the West Bank, East jerusalem and the Golan heights, even in Gaza which it has 'pulled out from', Israel is the occupied based on the precedent set in international law.

The direct precedent is actually the actions of the Nazis during WWII and honestly I can't see any way you can say this without either holding Israel to lower standards than Nazis or whitewashing Nazi war crimes. Whatever distinction you are drawing I think you need to spell it out because it is an extraordinary arguement to make and without some kind of rationale it would seem to paint you in the same corner as the worst anti-semites and racists.

To quote the report:

quote:

Although the source of the occupying power's authority is military superiority, it is not continous physical presence of armed forces in all parts of the territory but rather the ability to exercise authority that determines when a territory is occupied. The reason is clear; international law seeks to impose duties on those who have the capacity to fulfil them.

This understanding of the Hague Convention predates the Geneva Conventions of 1949 and was clearly articulated in the Nuremberg case, united States v. Wilhelm List. In Wilhelm List, the U.S. Military Tribunal at Nuremberburg defined the beginning of German occupation as that moment when control over territory passed from the Yugoslav or Greek government to Germany:

"The Evidence shows shows that the invasion of Yugoslavia was commenced on 6th April, 1941. Nine days later the Yugoslav government capitulated.... The powers of government passed into the hands of the German armed forces and Yugoslavia became an occupied country." The court continued, "While it is true that the partisans were able to control sections of these countries at various times, it is established that the Germans could at any time they desired assume physical control of the country., The control of the resistance forces was temporary only and not such as would deprive the German armed forces of its status of an occupant."

The International Court of Justice has recently reiterated the Nuremberg Tribunial's understanding of occupation as dependant on the ability to assert control over territory.

Or to put it in the UNs words:

quote:

6. The Palestinian Territory has been occupied for so long — 40 years — that there is a tendency in certain quarters to overlook this reality and to treat the Occupied Palestinian Territory as an “unoccupied” entity. This leads to the perception of Israel and Palestine as two States poised against each other, with Israel as the victim and Palestine as a neighbouring aggressive, terrorist State. This, of course, is very far from the truth. The Palestinian Territory, including the West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza, remains occupied territory, occupied by Israel. Insofar as there is a “victim” party, it is Palestine as inevitably an occupied party has such a status vis-à-vis the occupier.

10. The argument that Israel’s occupation of Gaza has come to an end is not
supported by law or fact. This is emphasized by a study entitled Disengaged
Occupiers: The Legal Status of Gaza, written by Sari Bashi and Kenneth Mann of
Gisha, The Legal Center for Freedom of Movement, an Israeli non-governmental
organization (NGO), published in January 2007. This study shows, convincingly,
that the test under international law for deciding whether a territory is occupied is
not the permanent ground presence of the occupying Power’s military in the
occupied territory, but effective control.10 Technological developments have made it
possible for Israel to assert control over significant aspects of civilian life in Gaza
without a permanent troop presence. This is done by:

(a) Substantial control of Gaza’s six land crossings. The Erez crossing is
effectively closed to Palestinians wishing to cross to Israel or the West Bank. The
Rafah crossing between Egypt and Gaza, which is regulated by the Agreement on
Movement and Access entered into between Israel and the Palestinian Authority on
15 November 2005 (brokered by the United States), has been closed by Israel for
lengthy periods since June 2006. The main crossing for goods at Karni is strictly
controlled by Israel and since June 2006 this crossing too has been largely closed,
with disastrous consequences for the Palestinian economy;

(b) Control through military incursions, rocket attacks and sonic booms.
Sections of Gaza have been declared “no-go” zones in which residents will be shot
if they enter;

(c) Complete control of Gaza’s airspace and territorial waters;

(d) Control of the Palestinian Population Registry. The definition of who
is “Palestinian” and who is a resident of Gaza and the West Bank is controlled by
the Israeli military. Even when the Rafah crossing is open, only holders of
Palestinian identity cards can enter Gaza through the crossing; therefore control
over the Palestinian Population Registry is also control over who may enter and
leave Gaza. Since 2000, with few exceptions, Israel has not permitted additions to
the Palestinian Population Registry;

(e) Control of the ability of the Palestinian Authority to exercise
governmental functions. Israel exercises control over the ability of the Palestinian
Authority to provide services to Gaza and West Bank residents and the functioning
of its governmental institutions, including control over the transfer of tax revenues
which amount to 50 per cent of the Palestinian Authority’s operating income.
Moreover, Gaza and the West Bank constitute two parts of a single territorial unit,
with a unified and undifferentiated system of civilian institutions spread throughout
Gaza and the West Bank, funded from the same central budget and run by the same
central authority. Therefore, Israel’s continued direct control over the West Bank is a
form of indirect control over Gaza.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 20, 2014

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

My Imaginary GF posted:

My Imaginary GF posted:

I am Jewish and disagree with you profoundly on both of these statements.

Imagine how much more prosperous the entire region would be if this situation was resolved tomorrow:

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/features/the-real-cost-of-israel-s-occupation-of-the-palestinians-1.395839

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3410537,00.html

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/11/20/israel_refuses_to_release_bodies_for_burial_terror_attackers_families_denied.html

israel refusing to release the bodies of the perpetrators of the synagogue attack for burial, presumably just to piss off muslims more i guess.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

DarkCrawler posted:

I'm Finnish. My government does not support Israel and the populace near universally hates the country. :)

http://electronicintifada.net/content/finnish-israeli-arms-trade-flouts-eu-regulations/8259
http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Security-Industry/2014/01/21/Finland-orders-camouflage-from-Israel/UPI-18731390315745/

You are willfully ignorant of what your government supports.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

:ironicat: I have no clue why that could be :allears:

Oh, please explain the expansion of settlements. Right now. Or shut the hell up if its just about 'People'

An Angry Bug posted:

It is not Israel's land, you disingenuous, pedantic, evil excuse for a human being.

Its almost as if the Palestinian's not just throwing their hands up and handing over all their territory is somehow criminal:ohdear:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

:ironicat: I have no clue why that could be :allears:

I do, it comes back to ameliorating patrilinialism through state institutions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

I do, it comes back to ameliorating patrilinialism through state institutions.

An Angry Bug posted:

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Romans have a strong historical claim to Israeli land. We should give it to the Vatican.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Job Truniht posted:

Romans have a strong historical claim to Israeli land. We should give it to the Vatican.

This laaaaaannnnddd, is miiiiiiineeee, god gave this land to meeeeeeeee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-evIyrrjTTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Job Truniht posted:

Woah, woah, now, let's not turn this into Clancychat!

The Sum of All Fears

• Locked thread