Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Speaking of Lancia and Group B, check out the documentary on Henri Toivonen's fatal crash in '86 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roy8n3MCORU Lancia does not come out looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Elmnt80 posted:

Well, IoC said its cool to make a new one, so I'm trying to figure up a first post for the thread with general safety and common terms and the like.

EDIT: Feel free to come up with a witty thread title though, because I'm bad at it.

Nautical Insanity: A Hole In The Water You Pour Money Into.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Memento posted:

Nautical Insanity: A Hole In The Water You Pour Money Into.

Nautical Nuttery: Playing with our dinghies.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Aquatic Insanity: Floating in our own coolant.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Y'all know that the thread is already made, right? But don't let me stop you from coming up with additional witty names.

TRANS AM 20000
Apr 17, 2010

Time to punch it!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
:siren: I POST ENORMOUS IMAGES :siren:

:siren: I POST ENORMOUS IMAGES :siren:

The oldest truck at Denver International Airport, probably.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 19, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

StormDrain posted:

The oldest truck at Denver International Airport, probably.

I can't see it. Can you enlarge the picture a little?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sometimes you need to deliver a lot of tofu.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

InitialDave posted:

Sometimes you need to deliver a lot of tofu.

I know it's :thejoke:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No, you want the episode where he's chasing down the GT-Four on snow.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I know Jay Leno can be a bit grating at times but no doubt he is AI and this made me feel :unsmith: http://m.today.com/news/america-loves-you-jay-leno-surprises-wounded-veteran-new-car-1D80301922

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

InitialDave posted:

No, you want the episode where he's chasing down the GT-Four on snow.

drat GT-Four driving rapists

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, here's something you don't see in Denmark everyday, a Challenger SRT-8:

(excuse the bad quality, phones take lovely pictures at night)

I know it's big, but I must say it's actually smaller than I expected, even parked next to a Twingo and a Fiat 500.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
This belongs here? This belongs here.

Das Volk is a superhero.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

rscott posted:

My grandparents had a fiberglass cabin cruiser, which wasn't so bad maintenance wise, just had to scrape and paint the hull every year but at the marina their boat was hosed at there were a few pretty big cris crafts and the amount of money/time those things take to keep in shape is ridiculous. Would never own a wooden boat unless I was a millionaire.

My parents got a fiberglass cabin cruiser a few years after I moved out, they're close to AARP age now and they just got probably their last cabin cruiser until they get too old to be bothered with boating anymore.
To answer a question earlier, the reason we took care of it is because my dad is a hands on type person. He grew up in the poor part of a lovely town and woodworking was something he enjoyed as a hobby. When he wasn't doing his regular business tell people what to do and when thing, he was woodworking and a Chris Craft was in his eyes the crown jewel of wood working/restoration. I didn't do all the work myself, obviously the first 2-3 years I did everything along side him until he was comfortable enough to let me do a side and he did the other. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing some wood/restoration work myself, but not exercises in futility such as what a boat in the delta is.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I know Jay Leno can be a bit grating at times but no doubt he is AI and this made me feel :unsmith: http://m.today.com/news/america-loves-you-jay-leno-surprises-wounded-veteran-new-car-1D80301922

Wow, that is pretty awesome.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

He sounded so unimpressed when Jay said "It's yours..."

:downs: "really?"

Not even a "Wow what the gently caress? You're messing with me!"

Just "really...? Cool."

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

88h88 posted:

Just "really...? Cool."

He probably doesn't have much of an income and just realized he's gonna have to insure the thing to drive it. Not to mention registering it, putting gas in it, possibly paying tax on it...

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
He also just (barely) lived through some serious fighting, now he has to deal with a 700-horsepower Challenger trying to kill him every damned day.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CornHolio posted:

He probably doesn't have much of an income and just realized he's gonna have to insure the thing to drive it. Not to mention registering it, putting gas in it, possibly paying tax on it...

I didn't even think of that. Gee THANKS Mr Leno...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Ehh you never know, they might have paid for that too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

88h88 posted:

Just "really...? Cool."

I wasn't even fighting in Afghanistan, and I just remember getting home feeling all... unreal. Like, a few of my friends confirmed the same sensation; when we got home, we didn't have to be somewhere or do something every minute, and it left us feeling numb for a while. I could only imagine being a combat casualty would ratchet that feeling up to x1000, especially when Jay Leno hands you the keys to a Challenger.

"Ugh, is this real life, or have I been caught in one of those long dreams where months pass, and I'm back home again, and I'm gonna wake up in Afghanistan again."

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

I wasn't even fighting in Afghanistan, and I just remember getting home feeling all... unreal. Like, a few of my friends confirmed the same sensation; when we got home, we didn't have to be somewhere or do something every minute, and it left us feeling numb for a while. I could only imagine being a combat casualty would ratchet that feeling up to x1000, especially when Jay Leno hands you the keys to a Challenger.

"Ugh, is this real life, or have I been caught in one of those long dreams where months pass, and I'm back home again, and I'm gonna wake up in Afghanistan again."

Man, I really hope Leno at least paid for a couple year's insurance or gas or something. How are the USAA rates on Hellcats?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SierraEchoBravo posted:

Man, I really hope Leno at least paid for a couple year's insurance or gas or something. How are the USAA rates on Hellcats?

Pretty reasonable actually.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Pretty reasonable actually.

Your insurance is expensive (yes this is in Hellcat trim).

(full comp, collision, uninsured, liability, and towing with 250k/500k limits)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Guinness posted:

Your insurance is expensive.

Location varies insurance greatly. My insurance tripled when I moved from Flagstaff to Tempe.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I imagine the rates will skyrocket once they start selling them and all of them get totaled all of the time ever.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Guinness posted:

Your insurance is expensive (yes this is in Hellcat trim).

Still cheaper than a Viper too!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The most AI espresso...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EqEP-N6TlU

If I drank coffee I'd want one.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CornHolio posted:

I imagine the rates will skyrocket once they start selling them and all of them get totaled all of the time ever.

Yea insurance is 100% statistics, once a few get wrecked the rates will go up a lot. If they dont Id be really surprised.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

The most AI espresso...

Fra-gi-le. Must be Italian.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea insurance is 100% statistics, once a few get wrecked the rates will go up a lot. If they dont Id be really surprised.

Except a ton of these things will be garage queens

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

I like the AVS Shadow design philosphy of "go as low and small as possible no matter what" even if they were all really uncompetitive because of the very small brakes trying to stop a big block powered go kart

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Speedhunters put up a four-page look at the "Hoonicorn" mustang from Gymkhana 7. It's ridiculous, as expected.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/11/gymkhana-superstar-the-hoonicorn-rtr-exposed/

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah, I dealt with wanting to go back over there for no logical reason, and the "home-soil attenuation" pretty hard for a while. It was a drive, a siren's call if you will, of "You are living your goddamn life with a loving tangible purpose. Why would you ever give that up?"

And then you get back, and a dealership or furniture store ad comes on, and you are just surrounded by an almost surreal level of... America and all the baggage that you took for granted before you left, but now it's so alien and honestly frightening, and you pine for the simpler, albeit more dangerous time you experienced.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

tobu posted:

This reminded me how skinny the r34.

Look at its wittle wheels!

gently caress the R34 was a handsome car.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Two Finger posted:

gently caress the R34 was a handsome car.

It's kind of like the boxy older WRX, I can't look at one and not want to hop in it and have some fun. The GTR/R35 is such a stealth ride though, especially in black so it hides some of the detail. I've been pulled up beside one in the traffic and asked a passenger what they think, they say I dunno it's whatever family car. Then the light changes that low growl starts to warm up. I really like this effect.

LloydDobler posted:

The most AI espresso...

Who will we use for the closeup of the screwdriver? Oh I know, the lady with the impeccably done French manicure.
:italy:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

co199 posted:

Speedhunters put up a four-page look at the "Hoonicorn" mustang from Gymkhana 7. It's ridiculous, as expected.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/11/gymkhana-superstar-the-hoonicorn-rtr-exposed/

Daily 90 minute clutch installs. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A while ago I asked if there was interest in photos from the ships I've been on.
So, here we go.

My experience has mainly been with Sulzer engines, in particular the ZA40 series.
That's an engine with a 400mm bore and a 350mm stroke, for reference.
They develop 800kW per cylinder and I've worked with 8, 12, and 16 cylinder varieties.
The turbos on these engines develop 2.6 bar of pressure at optimum load, and dependent on engine, are either 354mm or 454mm.
These engines spin at 514rpm.
An 8cyl will develop somewhere around 6MW of power, a 12 8MW and a 16 10MW. We're talking a huge amount of energy.
Because of the pure size of them, you can forget using a starter motor, they're turned over with 30bar of compressed air.

I've been involved with a complete teardown of both an 8 and a 12 cylinder, so I'll start off with a few photos from those jobs.
I can't find a good picture of the 8, this is a 12:

The rest of these photos will be from the overhaul of an 8cyl as I have more pictures from that.
So, to start off with, here's a view from the top of the engine down into the cylinder after the head has been removed.

View of the engine half naked:

And here are the heads in question. Each cylinder has its own individual head. 4 valve arrangements. Each valve has their own rotator assembly.

Removing one of the remaining heads. The bolts are hydraulically pretensioned so have to be removed in the same fashion. From memory the unit provides up to 600 bar, not quite so extreme as the massive two-stroke engine that was posted earlier.

The view inside the crankcase.

Top of the engine, now fully naked.

Rocker gear. Pushrods and all. No DOHC bullshit here!

This is one of the individual fuel pumps coming out.

Setting up for removing the piston:

Coming up...

And there they are.

My next job was to climb into the crankcase and undo these. As you can see from the oil trail down the side of the liner they provide lubrication inside the cylinder.

The cadet is standard equipment.

These pistons are a little different to cars in that they have a spherical bearing. You can also make out in the crown a ratcheting arrangement. The whole crown rotates for the same reason exhaust valves do. I've heard a lot of people complain that it just introduces another point of failure, but I've not yet seen one of these ratchets fail, and to my mind at least it SHOULD extend the life of the crown.

Here's the flywheel and Geislinger coupling. The Geislinger is a torsional vibration damper which uses fluid to further help 'smooth out' the motion of the crankshaft and try to avoid massive jerking - again, these cylinders pump out 800kW per. I honestly have no idea of the torque figure beyond 'loving massive'.

Removing the cylinder liner:

Looking down into the cooling water passages:

Reaming the cylinder liners. From memory (this was 4 years ago) I think only two out of the 8 liners could be saved.

Big end bearing housing.

Doing some repairs on the interface between the liner and the engine frame. We're using Belzona putty. Great stuff, sets hard like you would not believe.

Taking the measurements of the big end bearing housing. From memory most of them were pretty good but there was one that was out by some stupid number, something like .5 of a millimeter. I remember it was visible.

Testing the crack-off pressure of the fuel pump. I'd have to look at the manual, but in the neighborhood of 300-500 bar.

Camshaft rockers. LOL GM

Next job was removing the charge air cooler. Not exactly in the best shape anymore.

Finally got it out. Took about two hours.

Pistons have all been checked and reassembled, all coming back in now.

Top three rings are gas control, bottom is a scraper ring.

The yellow ring is to help compress the rings as the piston goes in. Mind your loving fingers!!!

Here's a view of one of the piston crowns, showing again the spherical bearing design.

And that's pretty much that. It seems I didn't take as many photos of putting the engine back together as I did taking it apart.
I have a shitload more photos from other jobs I've done (including the teardown of one of the generators after an overspeed incident) so if there's interest I'd be happy to put more posts like this together.