Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I think the only design you can really call boring is the 1098 series of bikes. The Panigale is pretty radical and I think the 999 series bike has aged amazingly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

n8r posted:

I think the only design you can really call boring is the 1098 series of bikes. The Panigale is pretty radical and I think the 999 series bike has aged amazingly well.

Fortunately the 848/1098 is a source of cheap-ish upgrades for the older bikes. Forks/motor/etc. :)

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Just did my first track day at the Sydney Motorsport Park. Really fun track, and I'm definitely hooked. Surprised given how much fun I had on my 250 (smallest bike there, though there were a few ninja 300s). Rental leathers sucked though, my knees were killing me. Going to have to go through the whole 'find a suit that fits the tall guy' routine.

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 11, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A custom suit is worth the money :)

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

BlackMK4 posted:

A custom suit is worth the money :)

Yeah, I'm starting to think that'll be the only way I'll be comfortable. I'm going to go try a bunch of different brands in the next few weeks, but I might have to resort to custom (had to do that for all my dive suits).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Where is the place to get the cheapest set of DOT race or slicks online? $370 + shipping is the cheapest I can find Pirelli SBK Pros.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
http://www.motospecialties.com/stor...temNum=MCRR3XXX ?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/6209/i/shinko-road-race-slick-rear-tire
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/6208/i/shinko-road-race-slick-front-tire

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

More expensive than the Pirellis. Gotta pay to play... :)

Haha, gently caress no.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271212
Lol

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

That was a beautiful post. I'd run shagged takeoffs before a Shinko :v:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Durr I can't do math. Do slicks/tire warmers make that much of a difference? I am really hesitating going that route for the additional cost of the setup.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xaarman posted:

Durr I can't do math. Do slicks/tire warmers make that much of a difference? I am really hesitating going that route for the additional cost of the setup.

The nice part about the Pirelli SBK Pro is that they are designed to be used without warmers and last considerably longer than a DOT/Slick race tire. Something like 800+ trackday miles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

xaarman posted:

Most modern DOT race tires are just slicks with some minor sipes cut in.

I've never run warmers, through racing and trackdays - park your bike with the tires in the sun, spend your warmup lap heavy on the brakes and heavy on the gas with a minimal amount of cornerspeed, and you'll be fine. Proper pressure monitoring is more important than warmers.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

The nice part about the Pirelli SBK Pro is that they are designed to be used without warmers and last considerably longer than a DOT/Slick race tire. Something like 800+ trackday miles.

800 track day miles?! At full lean!?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xaarman posted:

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/tires/pirelli/pirelli-redstripe.php

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Why don't they make these for smaller bikes?! They'd make a packet for all the 300/250 series that are popping up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Because those bikes are already very easy on tires, they don't destroy the rear the way 100whp or 200whp bikes do.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Worth bringing my FZ6 with pilot road tires to the track, or should I 'invest' in a lovely old 600CC RR bike and throw on some nice tires? I really want to get in to track days but I'm not sure if it's worth bringing my daily driver standardish bike.

Something like this '99 R6? http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/4769297381.html

or this ZX6 ? http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/4739039417.html

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Voltage posted:

Worth bringing my FZ6 with pilot road tires to the track, or should I 'invest' in a lovely old 600CC RR bike and throw on some nice tires? I really want to get in to track days but I'm not sure if it's worth bringing my daily driver standardish bike.

Something like this '99 R6? http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/4769297381.html

or this ZX6 ? http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/4739039417.html

If you've never been on track before, I'd say take your own bike. You'll still have a blast (I did), and you'll be able to decide whether you want a track-specific bike. You'll still enjoy taking your FZ6 to high speeds and nice, flowy corners with a lot less risk than the streets.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Barnsy posted:

If you've never been on track before, I'd say take your own bike. You'll still have a blast (I did), and you'll be able to decide whether you want a track-specific bike. You'll still enjoy taking your FZ6 to high speeds and nice, flowy corners with a lot less risk than the streets.

I'm mainly concerned with crashing it I guess, if I wreck a second bike at the track I wouldn't even be mad, but if I wreck my 'get to work' bike it would suck a lot… I was going to take my fiesta ST to the track, but I just can't risk loving up a 25,000 car that wouldn't be covered under insurance.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Voltage posted:

I'm mainly concerned with crashing it I guess, if I wreck a second bike at the track I wouldn't even be mad, but if I wreck my 'get to work' bike it would suck a lot… I was going to take my fiesta ST to the track, but I just can't risk loving up a 25,000 car that wouldn't be covered under insurance.

Honestly if you take it easy the whole day you'll be fine. If you aim to get your knee down at every turn, you're hosed. Also, you really have to remember to heat up your tyres at the start of each session (i.e. do one or two really easy warm-up laps), I saw two people stack it on the first corner trying to push too hard too early. Obviously if you take to it you'll either want to get a second bike (not really a possibility for me) or invest in some crash protection.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

xaarman posted:

The superbike pro slicks last forever because they're hard as a rock. I'm drat impressed by the Dunlop GPA Pros, they're worth looking into.

Barnsy posted:

Honestly if you take it easy the whole day you'll be fine. If you aim to get your knee down at every turn, you're hosed. Also, you really have to remember to heat up your tyres at the start of each session (i.e. do one or two really easy warm-up laps), I saw two people stack it on the first corner trying to push too hard too early. Obviously if you take to it you'll either want to get a second bike (not really a possibility for me) or invest in some crash protection.

There's a difference between taking it easy on the first couple laps and actively trying to warm up your tires. The tires need to flex to develop heat... you can't just go putz around for a couple laps then drop the hammer. THAT'S a great way to end up on your head. The only way to get the tire carcass to flex safely is hard acceleration and progressive, hard braking when the bike is stood upright.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

needknees posted:

There's a difference between taking it easy on the first couple laps and actively trying to warm up your tires. The tires need to flex to develop heat... you can't just go putz around for a couple laps then drop the hammer. THAT'S a great way to end up on your head. The only way to get the tire carcass to flex safely is hard acceleration and progressive, hard braking when the bike is stood upright.

I was referring to the turns. Obviously you can still (and should) let loose in the acceleration and braking zones.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

needknees posted:

The superbike pro slicks last forever because they're hard as a rock. I'm drat impressed by the Dunlop GPA Pros, they're worth looking into.
They have grip though.

I just paid $390 shipped for a set from CT Racing in California.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 21, 2014

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
Finally. Booked my first track day (Tony's Track Days) for June, at Thompson Speedway in CT. I'm pants-shittingly excited, because I haven't been on a track since I stopped competing semi-professionally (see "unsuccessfully") in regional and national kart racing. I like to think I know my way around a race-track but 2 wheels will be an entirely new experience.

I booked a "non-sport bike day" because I ride a KTM 990SMT, and would like to get my feet wet in as non-competitive environment as possible. I'm a little concerned that my bike is as close to a "sport bike" as a "non-sports bike" can be.

Anything I should know about this track? I'm slowly making my way through this thread but couldn't wait to share the news. Right now the plan is to ride there the day before and camp. If I have a truck by then, I'll take that instead of riding.

edit: I've also got no gear! I'd like to get a full suit, as I plan on making this a hobby. Any recommendations on a suit that's around 400-600, before I go scour the gear thread?

JohnnyDangerously fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 29, 2014

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

JohnnyDangerously posted:

edit: I've also got no gear! I'd like to get a full suit, as I plan on making this a hobby. Any recommendations on a suit that's around 400-600, before I go scour the gear thread?

Unless you get a second-hand suit, you'll have trouble finding decent stuff under around 800. I've been looking around for a while now and that seems to be the sweet-spot for value, sub 800 suits tend to be very low quality or lacking in features/comfort.

tjones
May 13, 2005
A* last gen gp pro one piece suites were going for about 800 if you can still find one.

They updated the suit and are no longer making the old one. I bought one through revzilla about four months back. I love mine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Barnsy posted:

Unless you get a second-hand suit, you'll have trouble finding decent stuff under around 800. I've been looking around for a while now and that seems to be the sweet-spot for value, sub 800 suits tend to be very low quality or lacking in features/comfort.

I'm happy with the Alpinestars Octane 1pc that I bought for in 2009 for $500 shipped from Newenough. I've lowsided in the thing at >60mph twice and it's holding up well.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Finally. Booked my first track day (Tony's Track Days) for June, at Thompson Speedway in CT. I'm pants-shittingly excited, because I haven't been on a track since I stopped competing semi-professionally (see "unsuccessfully") in regional and national kart racing. I like to think I know my way around a race-track but 2 wheels will be an entirely new experience.

I booked a "non-sport bike day" because I ride a KTM 990SMT, and would like to get my feet wet in as non-competitive environment as possible. I'm a little concerned that my bike is as close to a "sport bike" as a "non-sports bike" can be.

Anything I should know about this track? I'm slowly making my way through this thread but couldn't wait to share the news. Right now the plan is to ride there the day before and camp. If I have a truck by then, I'll take that instead of riding.

What size are you? I have a nice Joe Rocket 1pc, never down, still taking up space in my closet that will fall in considerably under your budget....

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

needknees posted:

What size are you? I have a nice Joe Rocket 1pc, never down, still taking up space in my closet that will fall in considerably under your budget....

I"m unsure. Judging from Joe Rocket size charts, I think a 42.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

I"m unsure. Judging from Joe Rocket size charts, I think a 42.

Welp

needknees posted:

Great deal on some nice leathers! Selling my Joe Rocket Honda leathers, size 42. Solid construction, thick leather, fully perforated. Never been crash tested and in great condition.

Selling because they are a little short in the torso for me. I'm 6' 180lbs and they're snug in the chest/gut (they fit a hell of a lot better twenty pounds ago... :shepicide: ) with a Knox Contour back protector. Sliders have a little life left in them.

Pics

Had it marked at $350 shipped, awhile ago and kinda forgot about it. I'd knock a few bucks off at this point. If you're interested, let me know.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Lil bbys first time on the track with non-street rubber this Sunday.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
999s look so much better with the wings, really need to get those back on my track plastics.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Trip report: These tires are loving awesome. I spent the day getting comfortable again - I didn't realize how large of a confidence hit I'd taken with my crash last month. Last session I was getting back to the corner speeds I was running prior but either way, the tires felt great. Front felt like it was loving velcro'd under braking and I want to move to a more aggressive pad compound. Rear felt awesome, more throttle at higher lean angle and not a wiggle. EBay rearsets suck, they are going for some Woodcrafts when I can afford it after the holidays. I bent both of the rearsets downward just riding and they are non-adjustable sitting at a position that seems to aggravate my back to the point that my right foot/leg started falling asleep during the later parts of sessions. (I have back issues and deal with sciatica/feeling loss in my legs)

Oh, yeah, Nick Ienatsch and another YCRS guy were at the trackday today. Guess they want to run a school at AMP. So in.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 8, 2014

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

After my crash, I am never buying anything other than Vortex rearsets again. Also, the Vortex are fully adjustable, while the Woodcraft were not.

The Vortex peg supported the weight of the bike while sliding, ground down 1/3rd of solid metal, and was $22 to replace. It protected the bike better then the actual frame sliders.

I used Mike from Discount Riders on the internet forums, and he gives insane deals. I think I paid $299 for the rearsets shipped?

On a semi related note, The Sidi Mag-1 boots are awesome as heck (and comfy too!) I love the magnets.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
After looking around a bit, Sato rearsets (which is what these are a copy of) are known to bend like this. Apparently they use a softer bolt to hold the footpeg on and it acts as a fuse. Hrm. Unfortunately, Vortex doesn't make rearsets for the 749/999 - I also crash tested those on my GSXR750 and they held up just like you said.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I hadn't heard (or researched) anything about Sato rearsets, but I'll add those onto my do not purchase list now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Most ducatis mount the footpegs to tabs welded to the frame. You really want the footpegs to bend instead of the footpeg mounting tabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Most ducatis mount the footpegs to tabs welded to the frame. You really want the footpegs to bend instead of the footpeg mounting tabs.

I've been preparing for that to happen, I've got a set of Speedymoto 848 rearset tabs that I plan to weld on when the inevitable happens.
I should just fully insure the thing and let insurance total it out, then buy it back when it happens.

• Locked thread