Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Aces High posted:

Well the latest episode is interesting so what is up with all of the animal control going on, is that something that happened a lot in Clone Wars?

The ability to control animals through the force was done a couple times in Clone Wars, but in general its been part of the mythos a while. Its basically the most literal representation of 'the force binds all living things together', and well, the basic principle of it is already established by the mind trick on people.

Sammus posted:

Are we watching the same show? To me, the crew of the ghost are a group of assholes who do whatever they can to make a buck, and then the gently caress up the empire whenever they can, just to be dicks. And if people pay them for it, even better! Maybe I'm not paying attention, but I haven't even seen hints to then being part of a larger insurgency. Didn't they discredit the 'exiled noble?' His intel just about got them killed, and was shown to be a trap that's been used repeatedly.

The Senator and his status is up in the air right now. He makes a reappearance in Empire Day, so if the Empire only intended him to bait Jedi, it'd be out of place. On the other hand, it could be to keep consistency, rather than tune people into the realisation that yeah, he was in on it too.

As to the insurgency notion, its... sorta there? Like the majority of the crew is personally acting within a personal scale - ie, if they can disrupt the Empire in their area, and maybe a little money on the side to keep going, great. But Out of Darkness and Gathering Forces both indicate that they, by way of Hera, are working in part on someone else's orders, and as the Twi'lek herself assures Sabine, there is a bigger plan at work.

In general, whilst Filoni has clarified that the Ghost crew aren't the 'start' of the Rebel Alliance, they're almost certainly going to play into it getting off the ground. Because with Empire Day and the reveal of the five year plan, along with the Empire's continued search for giant kyber crystals (for those who didn't watch the Utapau story reels, they're what make the Death Star's superlaser work), the show has basically set itself up for the ramp up towards A New Hope, five to four years away in universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sammus posted:

Are we watching the same show? To me, the crew of the ghost are a group of assholes who do whatever they can to make a buck, and then the gently caress up the empire whenever they can, just to be dicks. And if people pay them for it, even better!

They've already gone on a mission to rescue a Jedi Master and gone undercover in a Stormtrooper academy to foil a shipment... they're clearly part of a larger, organized insurgency based on those two episodes alone, even if it's just very loosely organized at this point.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

They keep teasing us with the governor of Lothaal being offscreen, but mentioned. I assume she's going to be a character at some point. I'm digging Minister Tua, and hoping she gets more lines one of these episodes.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Madurai posted:

They keep teasing us with the governor of Lothaal being offscreen, but mentioned. I assume she's going to be a character at some point. I'm digging Minister Tua, and hoping she gets more lines one of these episodes.

She has a silly hat though.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Madurai posted:

My personal bet is that Governor Pryce is in fact Fulcrum. Most of Fulcrum's presumable intel has been based either near Lothal, or involved people from it. She'd make sense to have access to the info.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Astro Nut posted:

My personal bet is that Governor Pryce is in fact Fulcrum. Most of Fulcrum's presumable intel has been based either near Lothal, or involved people from it. She'd make sense to have access to the info.

That could work, and with Tua being so fanatical being absent seems a good idea.

Could also be a minor film chatacter like Crix Madine. Corellian ships and all.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

She has a silly hat though.

In the GFFA, all hats are silly.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

That could work, and with Tua being so fanatical being absent seems a good idea.

Could also be a minor film chatacter like Crix Madine. Corellian ships and all.

Quite. Add in the possibility of Ahsoka's voice actress - or at the very least, someone with similar inflections - and I wouldn't be surprised if the writers are dropping in multiple things to suspect, as red herrings. I mean, some suspect its Bail because the ship as well, but Fulcrum seems more like someone who's been around a while, whilst Bail only learnt of the Ghost Crew after the droids encountered them.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

The thing with Fulcrum's voice actor maybe being female also makes me think that Mon Mothma could be a possibility. I don't think it's Bail Organa because he asked R2 for information on the Ghost crew. If he was Fulcrum, there'd be no need for that.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

DancinBrud posted:

The thing with Fulcrum's voice actor maybe being female also makes me think that Mon Mothma could be a possibility. I don't think it's Bail Organa because he asked R2 for information on the Ghost crew. If he was Fulcrum, there'd be no need for that.

Bet, it's ventress, just to mess with everyone.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

DancinBrud posted:

Well, he asked in episode 2... Maybe they have developed a working relationship since? Exactly because of that meeting?

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Different blockade runners. Unless Bail's idea of going incognito is to paint the stripes on his ship a different color, it's probably someone else.

Ventress or another infamous separatist would explain Hera's reluctance to identify Fulcrum to others, but then again so would a fugitive jedi, an active senator, a senator-in-exile, or any of the other prevailing theories.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Plus Kanan would probably sense Ventress/Ashoka through the force if it was one of those.

Does Kanan know who it is? I've assumed it was a Hera only deal.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

meristem posted:

Well, he asked in episode 2... Maybe they have developed a working relationship since? Exactly because of that meeting?
Presumably they've been getting jobs and tips from Fulcrum since before the start of the series.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

tin can made man posted:

Different blockade runners. Unless Bail's idea of going incognito is to paint the stripes on his ship a different color, it's probably someone else.

Ventress or another infamous separatist would explain Hera's reluctance to identify Fulcrum to others, but then again so would a fugitive jedi, an active senator, a senator-in-exile, or any of the other prevailing theories.

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought it WAS the Tantive IV and I was kind of disappointed that they had just revealed who Fulcrum was so lazily.

As to who Fulcrum is -- Hera does have a family connection to the jedi, through her uncle, but I don't think Ahsoka herself ever touched down on Ryloth.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Muppetjedi posted:

Plus Kanan would probably sense Ventress/Ashoka through the force if it was one of those.

Does Kanan know who it is? I've assumed it was a Hera only deal.

Hera had a conversation with Kanan about Fulcrum, and it gave me the impression that he was in the know, but I'd have to rewatch it to tell.

Test Pattern posted:

As to who Fulcrum is -- Hera does have a family connection to the jedi, through her uncle, but I don't think Ahsoka herself ever touched down on Ryloth.

Did Hera mention her uncle being a Jedi in the show, or was that from A New Dawn? Also, Ahsoka is a togruta, which I believe are vestigially related to the Twi'leks of Ryloth in the same sense that there are about 200 "Human-Offshoot" aliens, but still a separate specieis.

To keep Fulcrum's identity a secret the way they've been doing, s/he has to be either someone whose reveal would be dramatic for the characters and/or the viewers. The safest bet is Senator-in-Exile Trayvis, and honestly that's probably who it is.

My sudden crackpot theory: Who's an individual with an axe to grind against the extant Republic-turned-Empire, has access to military connections and resources, confirmed alive as of the end of TCW and a recurring character from that series, favors meticulous operations, and who's M.O. is to be, like a fulcrum, at the exact point of manipulation and control?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I thought Senator Trayvis' broadcasts were being planted by the empire. Both of them actually worked against the rebels and for the empire.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Don't tell me that Senator Trayvus betrayed us!

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

tin can made man posted:

Hera had a conversation with Kanan about Fulcrum, and it gave me the impression that he was in the know, but I'd have to rewatch it to tell.

Did Hera mention her uncle being a Jedi in the show, or was that from A New Dawn? Also, Ahsoka is a togruta, which I believe are vestigially related to the Twi'leks of Ryloth in the same sense that there are about 200 "Human-Offshoot" aliens, but still a separate specieis.

To keep Fulcrum's identity a secret the way they've been doing, s/he has to be either someone whose reveal would be dramatic for the characters and/or the viewers. The safest bet is Senator-in-Exile Trayvis, and honestly that's probably who it is.

My sudden crackpot theory: Who's an individual with an axe to grind against the extant Republic-turned-Empire, has access to military connections and resources, confirmed alive as of the end of TCW and a recurring character from that series, favors meticulous operations, and who's M.O. is to be, like a fulcrum, at the exact point of manipulation and control?

It is jar jar.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

TOILETLORD posted:

Eh traditionally in a lot of older media men do far worst work when being bossed around by a woman. Clone wars and rebels has a lot of what i kinda see as outdated tropes being used. The characters seem to act in some situation more like they were born in the 50's or 40's, or like characters from media from the 40's and 50's.

It's because Star Wars is a thinly veiled replacement for Flash Gordon created by a generation of filmmakers that grew up loving the serials from those eras. It is in the DNA of the franchise and the Clone Wars were patterned to be recreation of those serials as evidenced by the narrator and often abrupt endings that were not gracefully picked up in the next episode.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

tin can made man posted:

Her uncle is Cham Syndulla, the Twi'lek freedom fighter from Clone Wars, who also served as her inspiration to become a Rebel in the first place.

Admittedly, on my 'Governor Pryce is Fulcrum' idea, I'm now wondering if said Governor could in fact be a certain Ahsoka Tano, after travelling to the outer rim, living under a false alias, and letting the tail ends of puberty hide her identity. She managed to dodge a bullet by having Palpatine not meet her in person, before rushing back home once formalities were over.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
Is cad bane dead cannocally? I'm just curious because i'd hate to never see him again even if he is just a mean old man.

I'd watch a full length cowboy style movie that is just cad bane being a dick for 3 hours.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TOILETLORD posted:

Is cad bane dead cannocally? I'm just curious because i'd hate to never see him again even if he is just a mean old man.

I'd watch a full length cowboy style movie that is just cad bane being a dick for 3 hours.

Wouldn't mind him showing up as a old man if he anything like Revolver Ocelot.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

TOILETLORD posted:

Is cad bane dead cannocally?

No. Neither is Hondo Ohnaka. I'd love to see both make an appearance at some point.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I don't know why, but I sorta figured Fulcrum would be Capt. Antilles just because he's a pre-existing character that is pretty much a blank-slate except that he owned one of the rebellion's super-spies.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

So, from the latest episode, it looks like Kanan is pretty terrible with a lightsaber, and the force in general. Where as Ezra seems to have the potential to be really powerful? Also, the Inquisitor is amazing. During the close up of his face while he approaches Ezra, the light from the lightsabers is balanced perfectly on his face, red and blue, light and dark. It's awesome.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, about that. I read the prequel novel "A New Dawn", and the thing about Kanan? He was still a padawan when Order 66 went down, and that was fifteen years ago. As seen in the first episode, he's tried to avoid using the Force or his lightsaber as much as possible over those years. So he never completed his training in the first place and is out of practice to boot, and now he's stuck with his own apprentice that he's trying to teach!

No wonder he was so desperate to hand off Ezra to Luminara, eh?

Presuming the show goes all five years, I'm betting that the Ghost crew are the ones to steal the Death Star plans and hand them off to Princess Leia in the last episode of the show. (Poor Kyle Katarn!) If it plays out that way, I wonder if they'll have everyone die Butch & Sundance style, or if they'll fly off into the sunset or something? I'm looking forward to finding out.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, about that. I read the prequel novel "A New Dawn", and the thing about Kanan? He was still a padawan when Order 66 went down, and that was fifteen years ago. As seen in the first episode, he's tried to avoid using the Force or his lightsaber as much as possible over those years. So he never completed his training in the first place and is out of practice to boot, and now he's stuck with his own apprentice that he's trying to teach!

No wonder he was so desperate to hand off Ezra to Luminara, eh?

Presuming the show goes all five years, I'm betting that the Ghost crew are the ones to steal the Death Star plans and hand them off to Princess Leia in the last episode of the show. (Poor Kyle Katarn!) If it plays out that way, I wonder if they'll have everyone die Butch & Sundance style, or if they'll fly off into the sunset or something? I'm looking forward to finding out.

none of them are bothans, so they can't be the spies to get the plans.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea did they ever acknowledge in the show that Kanan was a padawan when poo poo went down? I can't remember if he's revealed himself beyond 'yea I wasn't a master and was young when the purge happened so I may not be the best teacher'. Feels like that'd be something easy for them to bond over.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

TOILETLORD posted:

none of them are bothans, so they can't be the spies to get the plans.

That was the Death Star II plans in Return of the Jedi, not the first Death Star.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea did they ever acknowledge in the show that Kanan was a padawan when poo poo went down? I can't remember if he's revealed himself beyond 'yea I wasn't a master and was young when the purge happened so I may not be the best teacher'. Feels like that'd be something easy for them to bond over.

I don't think its been explicitly mentioned, but its been discussed both in Rebel Dawn and in a few interviews. It also plays into some of the symbolism in Rise of the Old Masters as well. He starts out the episode trying to train Ezra in some lofty fashion - his head high in the clouds on what he thinks Jedi training should be like, and handing off some of the responsibility to others. Ezra does poorly, almost dies. By the end, when Kanan notches things down, and grounds himself - both literally and metaphorically - the two start making some progress. Its something different in the franchise, at least of what remains canon, in that both master and pupil have a lot to learn.

Admittedly, that he was a padawan and all, is part of why I personally want Ahsoka to appear, for the contrast of the experience for the two of them. Kanan, far as one can tell, never really got to do much in the Clone Wars, whilst Ahsoka got to be an outright war hero. His chance of knighthood was taken from him by the rise of the Empire, Ahsoka turned it down because of the Order's treatment of her, intended as a consolation rather than something earned. Kanan, like Obi-Wan does in ANH, seems to look back upon the Order with a certain romanticism, which would make Ahsoka and her understanding of the flaws in the institution interesting to bounce off - add in how Ezra would have to react to what he's working towards not quite being the ideal he might have believed, and there's so much room for a story to be told.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Astro Nut posted:

I don't think its been explicitly mentioned, but its been discussed both in Rebel Dawn and in a few interviews. It also plays into some of the symbolism in Rise of the Old Masters as well. He starts out the episode trying to train Ezra in some lofty fashion - his head high in the clouds on what he thinks Jedi training should be like, and handing off some of the responsibility to others. Ezra does poorly, almost dies. By the end, when Kanan notches things down, and grounds himself - both literally and metaphorically - the two start making some progress. Its something different in the franchise, at least of what remains canon, in that both master and pupil have a lot to learn.

Admittedly, that he was a padawan and all, is part of why I personally want Ahsoka to appear, for the contrast of the experience for the two of them. Kanan, far as one can tell, never really got to do much in the Clone Wars, whilst Ahsoka got to be an outright war hero. His chance of knighthood was taken from him by the rise of the Empire, Ahsoka turned it down because of the Order's treatment of her, intended as a consolation rather than something earned. Kanan, like Obi-Wan does in ANH, seems to look back upon the Order with a certain romanticism, which would make Ahsoka and her understanding of the flaws in the institution interesting to bounce off - add in how Ezra would have to react to what he's working towards not quite being the ideal he might have believed, and there's so much room for a story to be told.

Ashoka as an angry Jolee Bindo or whatever his name as from KOTOR would be nice. Just as close to straight neutral as possible.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

TOILETLORD posted:

Ashoka as an angry Jolee Bindo or whatever his name as from KOTOR would be nice. Just as close to straight neutral as possible.

Well, I was thinking more 'light side but realises that doesn't necessarily mean Jedi', but at the same time, her as the series equivalent to Bindo would be interesting too. Right now we've got Kanan and the Inquisitor for Ezra's two main options - the latter may be willing to kill the kid, but he's evidently seeing if he can break Ezra each time - so having a third in there would be interesting.

Plus the inevitable chance for her to face Anakin again would be really cool, and show how far he's fallen.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't really think she needs to face Vader, but goddamn I do hope they bring in Ahsoka. The way they left off that story at the end of Clone Wars is one of the most interesting things that has been done with Star Wars since like KotOR 2, and I think there's a ton of potential there with an older version of her.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
I'm also just curious since i never really read much of the EU, but in general how many old droids are kicking around since with proper care they can be essentially immortal? I figured that the empire/sith and the jedi order would of had as many as possible on hand so they could get first hand accounts of old/ancient information.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

TOILETLORD posted:

I'm also just curious since i never really read much of the EU, but in general how many old droids are kicking around since with proper care they can be essentially immortal? I figured that the empire/sith and the jedi order would of had as many as possible on hand so they could get first hand accounts of old/ancient information.

Only so many, even accounting for the EU, due to various practical regards.

Firstly, the older a droid gets, the more eccentric - and potentially dangerous - it becomes, due to accumulating data and thus being able to act outside its original parameters. So, its standard to data wipe so as to have a clean slate - a point that Obi-Wan brings up more than a few times to Anakin regarding Artoo in TCW, and is why Threepio himself then can't remember Obi-Wan at all, as the information simply isn't there any more.

The second thing is preservation. Even if you're a droid, stuff ages, and things break down. Memory banks get damaged, power cores corrode, that kind of deal. I know you say 'with proper care', but in most cases droids probably aren't going to get that sort of thing prior to someone who actually gives a drat turning up to find them. Probably the closest examples to what you're looking for are A) HK-47, who survived at least three hundred years, and possibly four thousand if you count SW Galaxies B) R2-D2, who lasted to the comicbook Legacy era, at an age of at least 150 and C) Huyang, who's been helping the Jedi construct lightsabers for a thousand years at a minimum.

...Now this makes me wanna see Huyang turn up again.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Astro Nut posted:

Plus the inevitable chance for her to face Anakin again would be really cool, and show how far he's fallen.
Oh, I'd love it if they brought in Ahsoka and Anakin killed her. The 'she's technically not a Jedi' should not be an excuse.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wonder if when Ahsoka shows up we will see Barriss again. Good bet she the reason her master got captured by the Inquisitor.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Bringing Ahsoka in at all seems like a pretty terrible idea. Even worse if she faces vader or something insane like that. This would make the main cast background characters and the whole time it ends up being about someone else while they are just kinda hanging around paying witness to it. You establish a mindset that this small group of people are irrelevant and what they are doing doesn't matter when it seems like the whole idea of the show is that the small individual acts of rebellion do matter. It would be a really dumb idea to undercut their whole show but having them basically show up and go 'well actually the important characters are doing stuff but you can watch the idiots who dont matter futz around, enjoy!' You then run into the whole Elminster/Gandolf problem which makes every subsequent episode starting with 'is Ahsoka free to carry our asses through this problem today?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm hoping for a Max Rebo appearance, myself.

• Locked thread