Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

VanSandman posted:

Dammit Nick. Though I am curious to see how they frame the past seasons. This could be important for how they want Season 4 to be interpreted.

That was my thought too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Seriously, just when Nick couldn't get any worse. Though does that timeline place Nick's decision in the mess that was Season 2's production? If so that could explain it.

We're getting crazy Varrick poses and chibis so hopefully it won't be that bad.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I remember when Korra started airing 2 and 1/2 years ago. We were so full of hope for the next great adventure in this world.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Ah. Well that kind of explains why the animation looks kind of choppy and slow this season. That's really too bad. :(

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

DrSunshine posted:

Ah. Well that kind of explains why the animation looks kind of choppy and slow this season. That's really too bad. :(

I'm hoping they saved the budget for the finale.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Watching tidbits from Book 1 you can definitely tell it had the most solid direction and animation compared to the later books. But I hate being critical of 2-4 because I've still had fun watching them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't even know why they bothered with book 4 if they're going to slash the budget so much they literally can't do all the episodes and have to pull a clipshow out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ahahahaha jesus christ

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"Look guys I know half way through last season we put you online only but we're gonna let you finish your story, do book 4 and we'll support it, we'll even get it out fast after book 3."

"Cool, so here's the budget, being online and all we're cheaper now (I loving assume?), since I imagine that was the whole point of you shifting distribution half through our last season this shouldn't be hard to handle."

"Yea gently caress that, we're not giving you that much, poo poo a clipshow out or something to fill the gap."

Then Mike and Bryan slowly slide guns into their mouths or something I guess because I don't know any other way to react to being poo poo on in such a spectacular way.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I mean, I want to see future Avatar series, but after all the poo poo that the showrunners have been through with Nick I doubt we'll be seeing something for a long while--if ever. :sigh:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Man, no wonder they sound so drat tired and weary in every interview.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

nutranurse posted:

I mean, I want to see future Avatar series, but after all the poo poo that the showrunners have been through with Nick I doubt we'll be seeing something for a long while--if ever. :sigh:

Yeah, it's actually really depressing. I keep imagining these two guys, with their first show, and they've got so much enthusiasm and energy for this world they've created, and things go so well for them. And then with Korra things just get worse and worse, and it's one endless parade of being poo poo on, and swimming through poo poo, and having to eat poo poo from rabid fans. I can only imagine the incredible level of jaded cynicism that must instill in a person. :smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nutranurse posted:

This is just me being a little tinfoily but maybe Nick just wants to push Korra through and do another series they think would do better? Wasn't there huge pushback back at season 1 about Nick not thinking a girl avatar would sell and basically starting this whole thing off with zero faith and respect for the project? If that was how poo poo started maybe the execs want to get this over with and work on a 'better' (as decided by a poo poo ton of focus groups I guess?) premise for the brand?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, it's actually really depressing. I keep imagining these two guys, with their first show, and they've got so much enthusiasm and energy for this world they've created, and things go so well for them. And then with Korra things just get worse and worse, and it's one endless parade of being poo poo on, and swimming through poo poo, and having to eat poo poo from rabid fans. I can only imagine the incredible level of jaded cynicism that must instill in a person. :smith:

So Mike and Bryan are Korra?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mraagvpeine posted:

So Mike and Bryan are Korra?

Holy poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Gotta get ALL the poison out, Mike.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This is just me being a little tinfoily but maybe Nick just wants to push Korra through and do another series they think would do better? Wasn't there huge pushback back at season 1 about Nick not thinking a girl avatar would sell and basically starting this whole thing off with zero faith and respect for the project? If that was how poo poo started maybe the execs want to get this over with and work on a 'better' (as decided by a poo poo ton of focus groups I guess?) premise for the brand?

I wonder what the terms are of the contract with Nick for the franchise? Would it be conceivable for Bryke to come back to the world in five years or so with, say, Cartoon Network? Maybe a prequel with some early Avatar so the characters that appeared on Nick wouldn't be available?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Gotta get ALL the poison out, Mike.

It took about five years for Bryke to break about the movie, so I'm looking forward to long vent sessions on Tumblr or whatever years from now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'd throw a few bucks down for an early avatar movie done in the Wan style, maybe the first incarnation after Wan coming to grips with the whole 'oh cool a not-god hitched a ride on my soul because of a promise made by a dude I had nothing to do with from an entirely different culture,' thing.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
nick nick nick nick
nicknick nick nick
nickelodeon

nick is poo poo

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Wan appeared on Nick, though, so if he appeared in a movie about the second Avatar (which would be likely) there might be issues. I'd love to find out about the second Avatar though.

I was thinking more like five thousand years in the past--enough for a sizable Avatar lineage but far enough from either ends we wouldn't see the Avatars already featured. Maybe an Earth Avatar since we've had Aang, Korra, Wan and Roku. I wouldn't mind a mini webseries.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

VanSandman posted:

Dammit Nick. Though I am curious to see how they frame the past seasons. This could be important for how they want Season 4 to be interpreted.

I believe it is being framed as Varrick narrating "the greatest mover ever (never?) made."

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
If someone is going to make new Avatar stuff, they'd first have to buy the rights from Nickelodeon outright for Korra and TLA. Sure they could license it, but that would make things tricky in the long run.
Given how Nick has treated the series, I bet it would be a bargain.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

VanSandman posted:

If someone is going to make new Avatar stuff, they'd first have to buy the rights from Nickelodeon outright for Korra and TLA. Sure they could license it, but that would make things tricky in the long run.
Given how Nick has treated the series, I bet it would be a bargain.

Or they could decide to try to get as much money from the buyer as possible as compensation for lost merchandise revenues over the course of Korra, or out of spite. Why expect Nick to be reasonable or predictable after the crap they've pulled?

Steensma
Nov 2, 2014

I'm thinking it might be about explaining to Wu the events of the show so far, based on the clip already shown.

Either way this is crap news.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

I believe it is being framed as Varrick narrating "the greatest mover ever (never?) made."
So, Terms of En-Rampagement, then? :allears:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

iSheep posted:

It is a clip episode. Apparently the shows budget was slashed and so this was the result. They tried as best as they could to make it entertaining to watch

now it really is an anime

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Genocyber posted:

now it really is an anime

if you look into your heart you'll see that it's been anime all along :shobon:

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
loving clip shows. If I were Bryke I would have just kept on trucking with just five minutes of animation budget for the full episode. Set it up sort of like a monster/slasher flick, set in the Swamp. Toph is the monster. It's on a pitch black night with flashes of fully-animates scenes as characters gain and lose light sources. Most of the episode is dialogue adding characterization to Kuvira's troops and remaining inner circle, then their howls of pain as Toph finds them. It's online-only, what are bored kids going to do, change the channel? :smug:

Alternatively, copy the Sealab 2021 episode where the power goes out and you just show an external shot of a building the cast is trapped in while you hear their dialogue.

If Korra really wants to be an anime, they need the flashback episode to contain flashbacks from the original content shown earlier in the same episode. Naruto was like that, and kids *love* it!

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The decreased budged has been obvious during the fourth season, and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before in the thread, and I don't think Brian and Mike can blame anyone but themselves. Avatar has ridiculously high production costs, and the same things that make it a good show make it difficult to profit from with movies and merch. Avatar can't survive as a mediocre show, and it can't ignore writing and carry itself on good music and cool fight scenes. We're lucky it didn't get canceled after the second season.

The term "professional fanfiction" was brought up during the airbending suffocation in season 3, and it's pretty descriptive of the writing problems. It's descriptive of the writing in most sequels. The characters exist either as legacy checkboxes (Aang has to have a bunch of kids) or concepts (wouldn't it be cool if there was an enigmatic steampunk masked terrorist voiced by Steve Blum). Chemistry and character arcs are an afterthought.

There was serious trouble with pacing, where rushing to cram everything in made episodes paradoxically less dense (compare the amount of character development that occurs in AtlA's "Bitter Work" to the amount that occurs in in Korra's "The Calling"). In AtlA, there was a tight link between the martial arts and the character drama. Learning a new technique meant growing as a character, and fights reflected relationships. In Korra, everyone gets a bunch of random powerups and fights are reduced to Korra throwing punches and getting her rear end kicked for eleven episodes before entering the avatar state and throwing a super-punch to beat the bad guy.

I would have liked Korra to be good and I could write an equally long post about the things I enjoyed or I thought had potential, but the odds are always stacked against a sequel. Brian and Mike shouldn't have trouble finding work (although likely without the massive level of funding or artistic freedom), and it might be for the best that they get a chance to evaluate what went wrong and return to their roots with a fresh setting.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

The next series really needs to be funded via Kickstarter or something. I'd be glad to throw a few bucks in.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Legend of Korra Book 4: Nickelodeon Is (Not) A Good Network

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What network is good these days?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mraagvpeine posted:

Netflix?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

It really would have been the best mover ever made :cry:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Fox News is good to it's shows isn't it, it's just horrible stuff. :shepface:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That was...welp. I don't actually know what that was since I fast-forwarded through most of it.

(The Varrick part was amazing though)

gently caress you Nick.

:buddy:

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Well, I thought they danced as gracefully as humanly possible around their budgetary problem. Characters' personalities shone through, the dialogues were enjoyable, and as much as everybody likes to poo poo on the first two seasons, I was glad to rewatch those scenes.

Nick's still garbage, though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Well my cautious optimism's completely gone

There's no loving way this show ends on a high note

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
So... oh god, that was depressing. They didn't even manage to keep the chibi esthetics consistent through all three parts. And it's funny how Ember Island Players ends with 'well, that sucked/but the effects were good' while here, it was about correcting past series mistakes (like stupid Mako).

Is there one more episode before the finale, or is the finale a five-parter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

meristem posted:

Is there one more episode before the finale, or is the finale a five-parter?

One more, then the four-parter.

• Locked thread