Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Eonwe posted:

im gonna ask for different builds then explain why ive done the exact build im already doing

stubborn people have basically become archeage.txt at this point imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Tell me the build with the most Dakka.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

the game is dead balista

just let it go

I dunno, I'm still having a lot of fun. The sight of someone whacking at me with their fishing pole really doesn't get old, I honestly laugh everytime.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If the population of die hard players dies off it seems there is a very good niche for casual players that just want to farm, fish, run trade routes, etc. In fact a lack of die hard PvPers will probably only help that population grow.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bait and Swatch posted:

I dunno, I'm still having a lot of fun. The sight of someone whacking at me with their fishing pole really doesn't get old, I honestly laugh everytime.

I, personally, would prefer to hear more about people in Syria.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Extra posted:

If the population of die hard players dies off it seems there is a very good niche for casual players that just want to farm, fish, run trade routes, etc. In fact a lack of die hard PvPers will probably only help that population grow.
I've been picking up land like a madman because I think this too. For some reason I am still enjoying this game.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

UoI posted:

I, personally, would prefer to hear more about people in Syria.
:goonsay:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I don't really play anymore, but I'm still curious if I'll be able to take over this guy's small farm tomorrow that's the only thing between me and being able to replace one of my large farms with a thatched. I figure I'll play on and off when they release new content, but it'll be a very casual thing going forward.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
i might do something more than log in to milk my cows when 1.7 releases

but thats because therell be some more stuff to do

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

Tactical Bonnet posted:

However when it comes to tanking (the main thing I want to do) I've had nothing but what I would call success. Granted so far the hardest thing I've tanked is GHA (non-bugged, I wanted to see if I could do it) and whenever I ask a healer how I'm doing the answer ranges from "better than average," to "incredible." I should mention that I have no more than 4 points in Vitalism at any given time, and when I'm specifically PvE tanking I usually only have 3, the rest are in Battlerage and Defense. Mostly I just keep Mirror Light on myself and 1-2 others when I have the GCDs to spare and roll Resurgence on myself and/or around the party.

Interesting. Rolling Resurgence? Objectively, Resurgence is an extremely anemic heal by itself, healing for less than Antithesis over its entire duration at a higher mana cost (which becomes VERY relevant unless you enjoy chainsmoking both soup AND pots if you're main healing a group), balanced by its ridiculously short GCD. I'm assuming you're using a healing club for this.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I have very little trouble holding threat, I started being able to out-threat level 50s at about level 47 in regular HA, and so far at 50 no one has managed to peel any mobs off of me that I've been trying to hold.

Well, any DPS tree+Defense can HOLD threat. The trouble is GRABBING it when poo poo gets weird. Taunt combos with Shrug It Off are the only really reliable way to catch groups when they trip hard - you NEED that "max out your aggro" combo effect from Auramancy when your dps just fatfingered Arc Lightning onto mob #3 and not #1, or when somebody decides that pulling with Meteor is a Good Idea.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

As for PvP I don't really seek it out, but when it does happen I'm pretty confident in saying that I win around 50% of 1v1s simply because no one really knows how to deal with someone that can heal themselves. People typically come in and knock me down to 50% with their first round of attacks and then I stun them and heal up and most people apparently don't know how to respond after that. I think they're caught off guard when the fight doesn't end in the first 5-10 seconds, because pretty much the longer a fight goes on the more likely I am to win it. At level 38 I killed a level 50 (some dual-wield melee, I didn't check his trees) in a 1v1 that took almost five minutes.

This falls into exactly what I was talking about troll-healing to full as a Paladin, yeah. It's kind of hilarious to see their brains short-circuit when your health bar refills. I had a guy ragewhisper me about "lol how many health potions did I make you drink" once. All I could think was, he didn't see me casting healing spells on me like three times during that fight?

I really wish there was spirit plate armor in this game. I generally wear cloth overworld and it means I get liquified by edgy Darkrunner/Blighter assassins. Getting ganked by a Daggerspell is an exercise in comedy, though, it generally ends with me chasing them down with Critical Discord spam.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

In group PvP (I don't do arenas, so it's mostly guild trade runs and high-seas/Freedich mass pvp) I stand in the back and roll as many HoTs as I can (which it turns out is a lot) on people in the raid until someone finally attacks me. Usually it's some sort of archer who gets a very nasty surprise when he finds out that I'm not actually a healer.

Blech. Rolling Resurgence isn't going to save anyone in group pvp ever. Actually, there's enough healing effectiveness reduction debuffs in this game that a lot of the time, you flat out CAN'T save people in group pvp - when a guy gets whacked with Mirror Light, three Stalker's Marks, and Shaken from Triple Strike spam, you just flat out aren't going to be able to heal him for anything at all. It's kind of refreshing - I played in enough MMOs where healers meant god mode was on to develop a distaste for it.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

And, for the record, there's a bug for literally every boss in GHA except that guy who does that bullshit spinning fireball thing that reduces them to youtube breaks in your gameplay. That fireball guy is still a joke but you can't actually alt-tab or you'll die.

I know that for bosses 3-5 it's as simple as sacrificing one party member with a HoT rolling on him, then having your healer hide in the hallway to pull the boss to the door where you can auto-attack him to death. When I asked if we could do this for Topman, though, the guy I was with said it wouldn't work. Does his spin2win hit through the wall or something? Does he even do it? Does he do the fireballs as well? I haven't gone into GHA recently or else I'd experiment myself.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Saying a healing spell is bad "because it's less mana efficient than antithesis" is dumb because every other vitalism heal is less efficient than antithesis except for mend if you have a good position.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

Saying a healing spell is bad "because it's less mana efficient than antithesis" is dumb because every other vitalism heal is less efficient than antithesis except for mend if you have a good position.

It also has no limiting mechanic like a CD. Resurgence spam is the #1 cause of healers going OOM at inopportune times. The first piece of advice I give to any healer struggling to hold onto their mana is to not instinctively mash Resurgence because it happens to be a fast insta-cast heal that doesn't have a CD and certainly not to throw it out for a spot heal if AT is up instead. Similarly, Resurgence is NOT consumed when AT is used, and yet a lot of people religiously use it before every AT they cast.

Lots of people are used to MMOs where their main heals don't have CDs, and have some OCD about casting spamming Resurgence on everyone they can reach, rotating it on their entire party "just in case". They feel like because it's their role to be healing, they have to be doing something healing related with every GCD or they're not getting max HPS or something, and then they run out of mana despite having t3 soup running in the middle of a GHA boss and wonder what went wrong. If you're Not a Scrub and maintaining your Inspire stacks as you should be as a main healer, AT is up every 4 seconds (reduced CD+casttime, since CD only refreshes AFTER successful cast). If AT isn't already being used on CD, you shouldn't ever have to "spot heal" with Resurgence. If you're in a group with multiple healers, enough people spam Resurgence that you may not need to apply your own for combo effects.

The reason I use AT as a comparison point is that you can already throw out an AT worth of heals (2-2.5K, breaking 3K if you've spent a lot of time in the hasla mines) every 4 seconds. That defines most of your overall HPS. Resurgence by comparison adds a very, very small amount to your overall HPS by its lonesome. Its main value is that you can squeeze out an extra 30% of an AT and possibly an extra 30% (on a single target) out of a Mend.

If someone is down at least 1.5 AT's worth of HP or you know that they'll be taking at least that much as you cast the AT, yes, you can get value out of Resurgence. But when someone gets melee cleaved by Godzilla and are only down 3K and probably won't take another hit anytime soon, there's no need.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
thread was better when fishers were having meltdowns and everyone was making GBS threads on them

whats with these super wordy effort posts

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

i might do something more than log in to milk my cows when 1.7 releases

but thats because therell be some more stuff to do

How can you think about milking virtual cows while the revolution still struggles?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Chomp8645 posted:

How can you think about milking virtual cows while the revolution still struggles?

*woosh*

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

nah, it was just rickroll anecdotes.

LOL

he's still angry about goons fishing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What are some good class options for avoiding getting ganked when farming or questing or whatever? Attempting to fight back seems mostly useless, as the first guy to get his combos off has a huge advantage.

Anything with Defence seems to make it take a lot longer than the gankers planned, a few times I've managed to survive long enough to get away on my glider even with two would-be gankers. The passives and 30 minute buffs give you a lot of survivability that doesn't rely on being able to respond instantly.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Nude farming, the best and only defence.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
For healing advice, I will always say VIT+Song and stack the ever living gently caress out of spirit. Get a 2handed club too.

With enough spirit, your crit chance% on healing will be like 20% and half of your poo poo is HoT or multi-cast.
If you like playing songs, imagine healing everyone in 20m once per second. essentially makes your average heal 15-20% better due to crit, not counting the songcraft triggered buff that gives more crit chance% and crit power% for 6 seconds

But people say SPI is bad and they're wrong.
I just need to afford the Life Cloth to prove it

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I've moved on to a game with more promise than archeage

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Does this mean you'll be leading the guild?

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Arcade posted:

Someone is a bit salty about werkwerkjerkjerk still.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Tanreall posted:

Someone is a bit salty about werkwerkjerkjerk still.

Nah, you got me all wrong.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Arcade posted:

Nah, you got me all wrong.

:captainpop:

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Angela Christine posted:

What are some good class options for avoiding getting ganked when farming or questing or whatever? Attempting to fight back seems mostly useless, as the first guy to get his combos off has a huge advantage.

Anything with Defence seems to make it take a lot longer than the gankers planned, a few times I've managed to survive long enough to get away on my glider even with two would-be gankers. The passives and 30 minute buffs give you a lot of survivability that doesn't rely on being able to respond instantly.

You could try a mix of witchcraft, defense and battlerage. Defense to buy you some time, and withcraft to use the AOE fear/stun, bubble and sleep.

Your best bet would be to hit invicibility immediately, wait about half the cast bar, and use your AOE fear/stun if there's melee. Then lassitude and/or bubble any non-melee and book it. Keep your witchcraft buffs up to prevent any sleep or fear, and have bulwark and chainbreaker as "oh poo poo" buttons.

It should help when ganked, but it's main downside would be the lack of shadowplay.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Arcade posted:

It has instanced player housing and ship ownership within the first 5 minutes.

The combat is ok too.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Khako posted:

You asked for different builds, we're gonna disagree forever on paladins being good tanks though. If all you do is random trade run pvp, then I wouldn't worry about being the best build and do what you know.

Correct. I didn't ask "Which class should I play?" because I enjoy the paladin. I asked "Where can I find builds?" because I wanted to look at different ways to spend skill points.

What have you done with a paladin tank that was so souring? I've literally only seen two other paladins, one red and one green. The green immediately spammed me with tons of questions and the red eventually died because he was bad at playing paladin. I've killed him like ten or twelve times now.

"Rolling" was probably the wrong word to use. I try and keep one ticking on myself as much as possible. When I'm tanking it's very rare for for me to have the extra GCDs to heal anyone else. Did I not say in my original post that I use a club? Because I do. It lowers my DPS a bit but makes me significantly harder to kill.

I just use Boastful Roar whenever the DPS fatfingers the wrong mob. Or lasso. Or Mocking Howl. Or one of my many, many trips/stuns to stop it moving long enough to grab aggro back. The only time I have trouble is when a DPS actually changes targets before they're supposed to. I usually let those people die.

As for group pvp, I don't spend too much time healing. I'm not built for it and I definitely don't have the mana for it, I just like to cast a few resurgences and fervent healings so the enemies think I'm actually a healer. Then when they come after me/the other healers I turn around and usually surprise the poo poo out of them.

As for GHA:

First Boss: Same as 3rd.

Second Boss: On the balcony above the boss, jump over the cannons to the place where those Donkey Kong barrel-throwing motherfuckers are and have someone with meteor (or good archery dps) stand ontop of one of the little rectangular platforms on that wall, then shoot the boss and he runs to the door. Everyone else jumps down and wails on him until someone pulls aggro then drag him back for your meteor/archer to nuke him again until he runs back to the door. Heal people, flute his explosions (the reason you can't just go afk), and watch him die.

edit: I think next time I do the second boss I'm going to try and have the party stand outside the door and see what happens.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 21, 2014

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Arcade posted:

:qqsay:

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Would anyone like to buy a cottage in Mahadevi, north of City of Towers?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I did it. I took a stupid risk.

I posted on the AA forums. Attempting to make a pertinent point, and make suggestions.

I'm an idiot.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
trion can't do poo poo so that's really pointless

xlgames just farts off a patch to them and they implement it

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Yeah, I tried to stick to poo poo that would either just be changing a value in a spreadsheet or web-based. I was also hoping that keeping a text file with peace statuses and implementing it when the server rebooted would be within their power.

Of course, it's also just pissing in the wind given the whole "posting on the AA official forums" angle in the first place.

Hooray.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nilumtil posted:

I did it. I took a stupid risk.

I posted on the AA forums. Attempting to make a pertinent point, and make suggestions.

I'm an idiot.

Perhaps you'd like to play a game with no PVP. :shopkeeper:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
someone make a tale in the desert with cute korean elf men

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I destroyed my 8x8 hoping to drop it in another location where one was up for demolition to block off some land for a thatched, and some shithead standing nearby (whom I thought was AFK) dropped a crafting station before the plot placing box even turned blue for me. Thanks to that random guy for making me care less about AA. Welp, QQ and stuff. Back to WoW for a while.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Second Boss: On the balcony above the boss, jump over the cannons to the place where those Donkey Kong barrel-throwing motherfuckers are and have someone with meteor (or good archery dps) stand ontop of one of the little rectangular platforms on that wall, then shoot the boss and he runs to the door. Everyone else jumps down and wails on him until someone pulls aggro then drag him back for your meteor/archer to nuke him again until he runs back to the door. Heal people, flute his explosions (the reason you can't just go afk), and watch him die.

Oh, drat, I guess you could pull him from the balconies with a longrange attack (missile rain I choose you). Combine that with the 50% threat passive to take back aggro quickly?

Still, though, what's preventing the "autoattack through door" strategy that had such great success on the other four bosses?

Finndo posted:

Would anyone like to buy a cottage in Mahadevi, north of City of Towers?

If it's on Aranzeb? I might. Mail "balistafreak" ingame.

balistafreak fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 21, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
shards online will be terrible but might be worth loving with people in

i guess you can get into their alpha at the end of december

idk

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

ruffz posted:

I destroyed my 8x8 hoping to drop it in another location where one was up for demolition to block off some land for a thatched, and some shithead standing nearby (whom I thought was AFK) dropped a crafting station before the plot placing box even turned blue for me. Thanks to that random guy for making me care less about AA. Welp, QQ and stuff. Back to WoW for a while.

hahahahaha

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eruonen posted:

hahahahaha

Eruonen posted:

Holy poo poo you are such a whiny little bitch. Just stop playing, god drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ruffz posted:

lol he was afk

• Locked thread