Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

IMJack posted:

I finally found a situation where Proptosis wouldn't screw me over, and that's when my damage is already so high my tears are HUGE and they take a long time to shrink down. This is with Cricket's Head, Chemical Peel, Blood Clot, 20-20. I picked up the Halo in the Womb 1 Angel Room and Capricorn as my last Chest prize to make it even more stupid.

In my experience proptosis is an amazing item for making you significantly more absurdly powerful if you're absurdly powerful (I had a Judas run where I got it in the Dark Room and could one-shot everything but The Lamb, who took two shots) and on a spectrum from underwhelming to run killer otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So was there any reason that Max's Head got changed to Cricket's Head and Body?

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Tracula posted:

So was there any reason that Max's Head got changed to Cricket's Head and Body?

His actual dog died and it got renamed in his honor. Out of his honor? I forget if his actual dog was Max and it got uncomfortable, or Cricket and it was an homage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was likely the latter, because Guppy recently died too and in honor of him Edmund put in Guppy's Collar. RIP little gup, we leave all that we own to you :(

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Iny posted:

His actual dog died and it got renamed in his honor. Out of his honor? I forget if his actual dog was Max and it got uncomfortable, or Cricket and it was an homage.

I recall reading that Max was what he would have named a dog if he got one as a kid. So the change to Cricket would make sense in a very bizarre Ed sort of way if that was an actual dog he had passing away.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Tracula posted:

I recall reading that Max was what he would have named a dog if he got one as a kid. So the change to Cricket would make sense in a very bizarre Ed sort of way if that was an actual dog he had passing away.

http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Cricket%27s_Head

quote:

In the original Binding Of Isaac, this item was known as "Max's Head". Max was the name of a dog that Ed McMillen wanted as a child but never got.
Cricket's Head is named after one of Ed's cats, Cricket.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://edmundm.com/post/80294775039/in-the-binding-of-isaac-there-is-guppys-head-which

Edmund has a cat named Cricket and he changed Max's named items to Cricket because he does not have a dog named Max. Ed's cats are (well, were) Guppy, Tammy, Cricket, and Moxie. He also has a bearded dragon named Porkchop which is metal as hell

edit: beat

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Oh! I stand corrected.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Waffleopolis posted:

I still think he should just no health, BUT is protected by the Holy Mantle from the start.

Yeah, this would probably make it way more tolerable.

The Lost should also have his own loving stat sheet. I went from a positive win-lose ratio to 1:2 in a matter of few hours. Unless you're really good - AND lucky - you stats will get skewed to hell and it will take hundreds of man-hours to get back to that beautiful 1:1 ratio.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Alkydere posted:

Fully agree. I want his unlocks so I can have fun with other characters, but I know I'm not good enough to use him, let alone have fun with him.

If you just got achievements for beating him and needed him only for True Plat, I'd be juuust fine never touching him. But the Body/Mind/Soul/D100/Godhead/Isaac's Heart being locked behind him annoys and irritates me.

Honestly I think the Lost should have started with 3 hearts and just never been able to recover/heal them. He'd still be way out of my skill bracket but I'd think he'd at least be a sane challenge. Of course he can't really be changed now because it would upset a lot of people for "cheapening" their (admittedly impressive) achievement.

I was thinking abouw this recently since I've been trying to unlock the Soul and the D100. I actually had an idea on how to make the Lost better, fairer to use for runs but still very tough: let him only be able to pick up eternal hearts. Once picked up, they'd then function like soul hearts, never turning into full red hearts and gone once hit. I feel like this would be better than the current 1-hit=dead thing where you do run and run just looking for holy mantle/dead cat. It matches his aesthetic too. Of course some items and game mechanics would have to change to keep the challenge, such as the Prayer Card not working for the Lost, or only working once, and spawning hearts in an eternal super secret room would no longer be all eternals.

This is never going to happen though, it seems pretty clear that the Lost is the way they want him. And as evidenced by crazy people who have already completed his unlocks. I'm looking at you AnonSpore :argh:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Whats the easiest/cheesiest way to get Meat Boy/Bandage Girl? I need to get the bandage girl achievement and find like 3 other items for my collection before I can finally start enjoying the game!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Whats the easiest/cheesiest way to get Meat Boy/Bandage Girl? I need to get the bandage girl achievement and find like 3 other items for my collection before I can finally start enjoying the game!

Monster Manuel + your favorite infinite space bar item loop.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Logan 5 posted:

I was thinking abouw this recently since I've been trying to unlock the Soul and the D100. I actually had an idea on how to make the Lost better, fairer to use for runs but still very tough: let him only be able to pick up eternal hearts. Once picked up, they'd then function like soul hearts, never turning into full red hearts and gone once hit. I feel like this would be better than the current 1-hit=dead thing where you do run and run just looking for holy mantle/dead cat. It matches his aesthetic too. Of course some items and game mechanics would have to change to keep the challenge, such as the Prayer Card not working for the Lost, or only working once, and spawning hearts in an eternal super secret room would no longer be all eternals.

This is never going to happen though, it seems pretty clear that the Lost is the way they want him. And as evidenced by crazy people who have already completed his unlocks. I'm looking at you AnonSpore :argh:

I also love the idea of him just starting with the Mantle or Dead Cat since, you know, people are just going to save-scum for those items just to make the run reasonable.

I mean, FFS, even Lethal Frag, a man who supports his family playing video games, and has something like 2K hours playing BOI on stream, gave up in disgusted frustration after 5-6 hours tonight and is now relaxing with FTL. The Lost thing is just not fun for all but tiny, tiny portion of the players who are a) actually good enough and simultaneously b) interested in such masochistic challenges.

I mean, the ARG was kinda fun (at least from a "watch on the sideline" perspective), but it being solved via datamining is why we can't have nice things. :v:

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 21, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I don't really get the complaints about the Lost. People were playing the original for hundreds of hours after unlocking everything, so why not give them a carrot that lasts a bit longer? It's not like any of the Lost unlocks are incredibly interesting either, the game is just as fun without them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Some people still want to unlock all the stuff without devoting whole days' worth of cumulative time to the game. I like The Lost, but I also don't blame them for not wanting to or having time to hit their head against the wall that is beating the game as him.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

CJacobs posted:

Some people still want to unlock all the stuff without devoting whole days' worth of cumulative time to the game. I like The Lost, but I also don't blame them for not wanting to or having time to hit their head against the wall that is beating the game as him.

Eh, the game has a high skill ceiling. I don't see what's so wrong with having achievements and rewards that give players things to shoot for. It is extreme, but so is the fan base. So in that sense I think it fits really well. The first game took me months to get 100% on, and I would have been a bit disappointed if I could have 100%'ed this game in only a few weeks. The Lost is just the logical conclusion of what Ed was going for with ???.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Broken Cog posted:

I don't really get the complaints about the Lost. People were playing the original for hundreds of hours after unlocking everything, so why not give them a carrot that lasts a bit longer? It's not like any of the Lost unlocks are incredibly interesting either, the game is just as fun without them.

Because it screws up your stats (I'm probably the only one who cares about this).

Because it could actually be challenging and fun at the same time.

Because it's absolutely nerve-wrecking.

And most importantly because your success depends on a good seed more so than with any other character.

I sort of get where you're coming from, since I enjoy a good challenge, even if they're time consuming. Hell, I unlocked each iron man achievement in Super Meat Boy and played several hundred hours of the original BoI. Hard to get achievements that are way out of reach for most players are just fine by me. But The Lost just depends way too much on luck.

Say you get a bad seed. You miss out on game breaking items. You get a pill and it's a speed down. You bump into a room where something almost instantly hits you. You can't outrun an enemy tear burst, a curving brimstone laser or an exploding mulligan. Say the Pin suddenly decides to spawn directly next to you (yes, it's happened to me before).

I'm not they should definitely remove the challenge for this, but when the optimal way to beat it is to manipulate the game by restarting and hoping to get dead cat + gnawed leaf + daddy longlegs on the first floor, you gotta admit it's kind of out there.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Wugga posted:

Because it screws up your stats (I'm probably the only one who cares about this).

Because it could actually be challenging and fun at the same time.

Because it's absolutely nerve-wrecking.

And most importantly because your success depends on a good seed more so than with any other character.

I sort of get where you're coming from, since I enjoy a good challenge, even if they're time consuming. Hell, I unlocked each iron man achievement in Super Meat Boy and played several hundred hours of the original BoI. Hard to get achievements that are way out of reach for most players are just fine by me. But The Lost just depends way too much on luck.

Say you get a bad seed. You miss out on game breaking items. You get a pill and it's a speed down. You bump into a room where something almost instantly hits you. You can't outrun an enemy tear burst, a curving brimstone laser or an exploding mulligan. Say the Pin suddenly decides to spawn directly next to you (yes, it's happened to me before).

I'm not they should definitely remove the challenge for this, but when the optimal way to beat it is to manipulate the game by restarting and hoping to get dead cat + gnawed leaf + daddy longlegs on the first floor, you gotta admit it's kind of out there.

Oh, I'm seeing where you're coming from, but I feel a lot of it is on the level design rather than the design of the Lost himself. There are actually a lot of rooms that are almost impossible to avoid damage in even if you have flying(why can't we fly over red poop Edmund:arghfist:). I just like that there's something I can aim for even when I've mastered all the other characters.

I hope they do a patch that removes some of the worst offender rooms.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The trouble is that Edmund LIKES those kinds of rooms (Tyrone too), he is the kind of game designer that is willing to put in stuff that totally screws the player because that's just the way the cookie crumbles when everything is randomized. His logic is that you have to make do with what you have in the rest of Isaac, so sometimes you have to make do with the room layouts you get too.

This worked fairly well in the original game because there weren't very many rooms with extremely hard to avoid damage. When Wrath of the Lamb came out, it added several different variations of the normal room layouts to the 'harder' alt floors as an artificial way of brute-forcing them to be more difficult (for example, there's a room in the Womb original game that's just 4 of the flying worm things and some rocks, but in the Utero version they're replaced with exploding worms but with the same single-space rock layout).

This version of the game steps it up even more in the wrong direction by a) adding a character that can't get hit at all, and b) making rooms where damage is completely unavoidable. Again, Ed likes that kind of thing, so it's not likely to go away, but I agree that it is annoying and should not be there.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What does Golden God mean? I just unlocked that by beating the Chest.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Kurtofan posted:

It means you beat either the Chest or the Dark Room.

E: or both.

Huzzah! fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 21, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kurtofan posted:

I think it's for completing both the Chest and the Dark Room.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Broken Cog posted:

I think it's for completing both the Chest and the Dark Room.

I beat the second one the other day so that must be it!

What's the next "achievement"?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

I beat the second one the other day so that must be it!

What's the next "achievement"?

Killing the boss behind the door in the Chest/Dark Room will get you a new save file icon, Platinum God is the next "god" achievement.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So this is a cool interaction that only works because the rocks here continually wedge you against the beggar without you having to move. Guaranteed devil item for just one/half a heart if you've got the leaf, and it's a fairly common room in the womb too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Read posted:

Killing the boss behind the door in the Chest/Dark Room will get you a new save file icon, Platinum God is the next "god" achievement.

I need to bring Dad's Key to the Chest/Dark Room, right?

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

I need to bring Dad's Key to the Chest/Dark Room, right?

Or bomb some angels.

(You will have to bomb some angels anyway to unlock Dad's Key.)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

So this is a cool interaction that only works because the rocks here continually wedge you against the beggar without you having to move. Guaranteed devil item for just one/half a heart if you've got the leaf, and it's a fairly common room in the womb too.

This also works almost as well with other items that make you invulnerable.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Pwnstar posted:

Sharp Plug plus The Wafer is the most efficient reroll engine, since it allows you to do one reroll for a half a heart. You need to avoid the 9-Volt though because the Sharp Plug only works on completely empty spacebar gauge items. Get those two things, take Isaac and the D6 to the Chest, then go reroll crazy. You'll probably want to acquire the D20 and then use that to generate more chests in rooms. You'll need a way to infinitely heal in the same room, which can also be accomplished with the D20 and something like Pyromaniac plus a ton of bombs or Epic Fetus or Ipecac. Finally, when you start Monster Manueling, you can't leave the room or they all go away, so make sure you can go infinite before you start.

That Richard_Hammer guy actually did that whole process on stream earlier for both Super Meat Boy and Super Bandage Girl in the same run, so you could look through his stream archive if you need a reference.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh my god it took me like 100 resets but I finally goddamn got spelunker boy.

Only Mama's Boy left. That's...not going to be fun.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Uh...how come the game isn't letting me into the Chest or the Dark Room any more?

I am definitely picking up the Polaroid/Negative, but when I get the big chest after Isaac or the Devil it's cutting straight to the ending cinematic and then that's it. What embarassingly obvious thing am I missing?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

GeneX posted:

Oh my god it took me like 100 resets but I finally goddamn got spelunker boy.

Only Mama's Boy left. That's...not going to be fun.

I wouldn't sweat it, just keep playing, eventually you'll get a build so powerful you can't be killed. The secret to the later _ Boy achievements is Tammy's Head + Brimstone or something else ridiculous

Actually, the only one I really had to try to get was basement boy, since you're not likely to get anything too game-breaking. Spelunker Boy was last but I got a polyphemus + brimstone in the basement during my last eden run, and then found Tammy's Head in a rock on floor 3.

Disgusting Coward posted:

Uh...how come the game isn't letting me into the Chest or the Dark Room any more?

I am definitely picking up the Polaroid/Negative, but when I get the big chest after Isaac or the Devil it's cutting straight to the ending cinematic and then that's it. What embarassingly obvious thing am I missing?

Are you taking the right one? Polaroid gets you into the chest, Negative into the Dark Room.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

senae posted:

I wouldn't sweat it, just keep playing, eventually you'll get a build so powerful you can't be killed. The secret to the later _ Boy achievements is Tammy's Head + Brimstone or something else ridiculous

Actually, the only one I really had to try to get was basement boy, since you're not likely to get anything too game-breaking. Spelunker Boy was last but I got a polyphemus + brimstone in the basement during my last eden run, and then found Tammy's Head in a rock on floor 3.

Yeah, I got Dead Boy on my first run through the chest, and whatever the Depths one is on my second run through the game. That was mostly me venting.

I would say that Basement boy might be the easiest of them all though: I can semi-regularly get through without a scratch as Azazel, and sometimes even Isaac. The Boss patterns are pretty simple, and if you can avoid the cellar (why did I unlock that goddamn area, gently caress,) the enemies shouldn't be too hard to dodge.

Or you can get Holy Mantle.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
All of the Lost's unlocks are blatantly broken items that mainly just increase your stats absurdly so I'm not sure why people think they need them unlocked to enjoy the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Except Isaac's Heart, which is poo poo. And The Mind, which is 3 shop items in one. And the D100, which can be hilarious.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

senae posted:

Are you taking the right one? Polaroid gets you into the chest, Negative into the Dark Room.

I dunno.

As I understand it - you take the Polaroid or the Negative, go through either Sheol or Cathedral, and then the picture you chose after creaming Mom dictates whether the big chest at the end contains the Chest or the Dark Room [and it doesn't matter if you've gone via Sheol or Cathedral], right? I have a few Chest runs and a Dark Room run completed already.

Except now instead what happens is I go through Sheol/Cathedral, enter the big chest...and ending screen. 'Tis a bit poo poo, I tell thee.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So how does everyone feel about the new, bigger rooms? I liked them at first but after a short while they just started feeling tedious to me. The enemies aren't built to take advantage of the space so it's almost always an easy fight that just takes a while because there are a lot of dudes to kill over a wide area. They throw the pace of the game off.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
The worst room will always be the 2 wide room in the cellar which has about 20 spiders and 4 fat spiders. If you don't have any kind of piercing/spectral tears there's pretty much no way to get through there unscathed.

Also the fat spiders really gently caress me up now and I have no idea how to not get hosed up by them.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Disgusting Coward posted:

I dunno.

As I understand it - you take the Polaroid or the Negative, go through either Sheol or Cathedral, and then the picture you chose after creaming Mom dictates whether the big chest at the end contains the Chest or the Dark Room [and it doesn't matter if you've gone via Sheol or Cathedral], right? I have a few Chest runs and a Dark Room run completed already.

Except now instead what happens is I go through Sheol/Cathedral, enter the big chest...and ending screen. 'Tis a bit poo poo, I tell thee.

The chest in Cathedral always leads to the Chest, the chest in Sheol always leads to Dark Room. Taking the Negative and going through Cathedral means that your run will end after Isaac, same with Polaroid and Sheol. So if you take the Polaroid you have to go through Cathedral if you want to go to the Chest, and Sheol if you take the Negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

So how does everyone feel about the new, bigger rooms? I liked them at first but after a short while they just started feeling tedious to me. The enemies aren't built to take advantage of the space so it's almost always an easy fight that just takes a while because there are a lot of dudes to kill over a wide area. They throw the pace of the game off.

I was just saying this last night after a few really bad RNG runs I was getting. On the later floors they are not bad because generally by that time you can more easily deal with them, but if you get one on the first floor it almost makes me want to just restart and I generally don't like to do that. I don't like sitting on the same room for 5 minutes dinking away at enemies with my poo poo damage tears.