Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Jblade posted:

He's helping bug testing of Episode 2 and already picked out a bunch of stuff I missed :v: I can't really stress test my own stuff because I subconsciously don't try things I know won't work.

There's going to be more of this AMC TC mod?
I really liked the horror-ish nature of what I played but it obviously wasn't finished such as the "HUB" level didn't work.

Is there going to be any more WG Siege Breaker mod work too?

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

edit

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

QwertySanchez posted:

So apparently the PSX and Jaguar had hud animations for when you blew yourself up.

:unsmigghh:
I knew such animations existed. I didn't know there were two distinct ones for two separate ports, however. That's oddly fascinating.

The Kins posted:

Jaguar Wolf had a unique hud animation state, too...

A God Mode'd B.J. Blazkowicz wants to play tennis?

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Guillermus posted:

Wait for certain mod to use that and increase the detail of the head blowing up :mrgw:

Why would The Adventures of Square need a highly detailed head explosion??

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Why wouldn't it, everything explodes into a gooey mess in that game when it dies.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Shadow Hog posted:

I knew such animations existed. I didn't know there were two distinct ones for two separate ports, however. That's oddly fascinating.
A God Mode'd B.J. Blazkowicz wants to play tennis?

The doom ones are especially interesting because they share some pieces - the splat in the top left and a glob in the middle / bottom right. One of those is a modified version of the other.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

superh posted:

The doom ones are especially interesting because they share some pieces - the splat in the top left and a glob in the middle / bottom right. One of those is a modified version of the other.

The two ports use slightly different rendering resolutions, I believe. The Jaguar would be the source at any rate though, as it was by far the first DOOM console port.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Flannelette posted:

There's going to be more of this AMC TC mod?
I really liked the horror-ish nature of what I played but it obviously wasn't finished such as the "HUB" level didn't work.

Is there going to be any more WG Siege Breaker mod work too?
Episode 1 was finished, what problems are you having with the hub level? I haven't heard of anyone else having that problem, the only thing I can think of is if you updated the Eduke32 that came with it. Let me know what level you got up to and I can tell you what to do from there. Episode 2 will hopefully hit very early next year, that's the window we're aiming for.

I think there is more development behind the scenes of WG2 but I'm not part of that team so I don't know much more than that I'm afraid.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zlocista posted:

Golden Souls is fantastic. The art style, weapons, enemies, and just general feel of everything is amazing. The maps do a really good job of making you explore, making (some of) the maps feel pretty nonlinear and open. Everyone should go play it.

Yeah, the scavenger-hunt stuff isn't nearly as annoying as it could have been. It's just a big non-linear map with 8 self-contained challenges that you can take on in (usually) any order you please.

The core combat is a little easier than I expected, but it's good, silly fun. The Cacowards this year should be interesting - we didn't get a huge number of big releases, but the quality has been fantastic.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Elliotw2 posted:

Why wouldn't it, everything explodes into a gooey mess in that game when it dies.
I can only imagine how this must impact more somber deaths.

---

An elderly pentago lies on his deathbed. His son and his wife are at his side, tears in their eyes. He glances their way, managing in spite of his lack of energy to eke out one sentence to the couple.

"Remember, son... I love you... always."

His son, uncertain of what to say and overcome with the emotions that loss of a loved one brings, can only croak out some words in response.

"Yeah... me too Dad."

Then, his last words being spoken, and content that his son has a steady income and a caring family to support him, the old man slowly closes his eyes to begin his final, eternal rest.

He then explodes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A multi-system emulator I like to use recently added support for the Atari Lynx. While poking at this, I learned that there were cancelled efforts to bring the Jaguar FPS adaption of Alien vs. Predator to the handheld.

That dynamic FOV... :barf:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That reminds me of those "dolly push" camera tricks used for "dramatic" reaction shots in soap operas.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There's no Jag emulator that seems to work with AVP for me which sucks seeing how it's one of the few good games on there.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Woolie Wool posted:

That reminds me of those "dolly push" camera tricks used for "dramatic" reaction shots in soap operas.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

That's a vertigo shot — a combined dolly and zoom. It's completely different. :colbert:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Kins posted:

A multi-system emulator I like to use recently added support for the Atari Lynx. While poking at this, I learned that there were cancelled efforts to bring the Jaguar FPS adaption of Alien vs. Predator to the handheld.

That dynamic FOV... :barf:

That's honestly not a terrible way to fake moving if you had some crazy engine limitations to work with.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, until you need to turn, anyway.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

This is kind of obscure, but it is at least mentioned in the OP: has anyone here played Missed Island for Marathon? I decided to give it a whirl and it's pretty cool, except I can't figure out how to power up the rocket. I can turn on the generators, but I can't figure out how to reset the circuit breaker; in Myst you did that just by pulling the lever, but here it looks like an Uplink Chip port, and I can't find one anywhere.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I can't help, but thanks for frying my brain as I haven't thought about Missed Island in well over a decade and it all just came back at once. The clock tower puzzle is still just loving amazing.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, until you need to turn, anyway.

Well, you could use 2-4 images per intersection and merely zoom into them to fake movement, and load a new set once you reach the point where you can't zoom. It wouldn't be the best decorated fps, but it'd work on something without the power to actually render 3d.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Now imagine how bad it would look if the ground and ceiling had textures.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tippis posted:

That's a vertigo shot — a combined dolly and zoom. It's completely different. :colbert:

It is however the type of shot I was thinking of.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Elliotw2 posted:

Well, you could use 2-4 images per intersection and merely zoom into them to fake movement, and load a new set once you reach the point where you can't zoom. It wouldn't be the best decorated fps, but it'd work on something without the power to actually render 3d.

Sounds like something dangerously close to Deathmask

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Prenton posted:

Or like the even more poorly executed Duke Nukem 3D for the Game.com

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
No, Duke Nukem 3D for the Game.Com is amazingly well executed considering the limitations of the hardware and especially the limits of the screen addressing system.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Prenton posted:

It's also basically how every first person dungeon crawler made for DOS worked too.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Woolie Wool posted:

It is however the type of shot I was thinking of.

Dammit, ruining my besserwissering like that. :argh:

I thought the combination was far too advanced for most soaps, so they just did either a zoom or a dolly depending on level of ineptitude.

That said (and more on topic), there was a time when that effect was quite popular to show insane acceleration, but I haven't seen it in a while. Maybe it's fallen out of favour now that motion blur shaders have become popular.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Elliotw2 posted:

IIRC some dungeon crawlers actually worked exactly like that. It probably wouldn't work as well for an action game, but it's entirely usable to fake smooth movement in a first person perspective.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah you could do pre-calc but why would anyone bother doing that for a system like the Lynx that a) had a tiny ROM capacity and b) had pretty decent (for the time) hardware scaling? It simply wasn't worth the effort.

Speaking of weird Duke ports, did anyone mention that Piko Interactive somehow got the rights to the terrible Tectoy Duke game for Megadrive?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Speaking of weird Duke ports, did anyone mention that Piko Interactive somehow got the rights to the terrible Tectoy Duke game for Megadrive?

That's..pretty weird. Are Pitchford and Broussard still shitfighting over Duke, for that matter?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's..pretty weird. Are Pitchford and Broussard still shitfighting over Duke, for that matter?
3D Realms/Interceptor have the rights to all the pre-DNF stuff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Kins posted:

3D Realms/Interceptor have the rights to all the pre-DNF stuff.

Ah. Probably for the best. I mean, those are the ones people actually would want to play and Interceptor did an alright job with Megaton Edition.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

I saw a commercial for the Game.com featuring this when I was 7, and for years afterward I thought that Duke was supposed to sound like he swallowed a shitload of gravel.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

DoombatINC posted:

Duke Nukem eats and entire brick of barbiturates and proceeds to clear out a dozen rectangular rooms filled with equally stoned alien "invaders", all while possessing the mobility of an arcade claw machine. As he carries out this nefarious act, he mutters vaguely incomprehensible threats in an ultra-low frequency. They're basically whale sounds or sped-up recordings of tectonic plate movements. The aliens are no match for Duke's uncanny ability to stumble to the opposite side of the room and paw at the nuclear trefoil, however. After doing this a dozen times, the aliens leave Earth and you catch yourself saying, "what a time to be alive."

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Tangentially related to Duke chat: TerminX has a bad salad.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Oh man, I loved Duke-Burger.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you order a salad at a fast food establishment, you deserve whatever you get.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you order at a fast food establishment, you deserve whatever you get.

:agreed:

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Holy hell, the last couple of years have been amazing for Quake singleplayer.

Most recently, the "map jams" have been pretty great. Mappers taking a few weeks to hammer something out on a theme -- slower than a speedmap, but still much faster than a "real" release. You end up with some things that are kind of rough (but sometimes amazing polished!), some experiments that don't quite work, but a handful of interesting bite-sized FPS experiences that have interesting architecture or combat setups.

I'm just now getting to the final map in the Zerstörer theme map jam, and the next one (with a retro theme) has just been released. Slow down! :ohdear:

Personally I like the somewhat smaller maps, which can allow a lot of open exploration without being frustrating, and don't outstay the welcome of their theme or gimmick. But if you're into gigantic maps, those are also still being cranked out, like the Rubicon Rumble Pack.

It's been cool to see "new mappers" (usually game dev professionals and/or folks who have hobby-mapped for other games) show up and completely wow everyone. 2013 was probably the "year of sock", while this year I've been conditioned to immediately jump on anything from mfx (another guy who "showed up" in 2013), and I'm getting that way about skacky's releases.

On the Quake engines front, QuakeSpasm has sanded off pretty much every rough edge that was preventing it from being the definitive Fitzquake successor, as the go-to "faithful" Quake engine for playing SP maps. qbism Super8 has become a dependable alternative for weird faux-retro Quake.

The TrenchBroom Quake editor has pulled in new mappers and converted old ones; or if you are really attached to WorldCraft/Hammer then there's Jackhammer. Or guys like WarrenM seriously working on importing constructions from other modelling tools:

I'm toying with the idea of a better little "map retrospective" with screenshots, since everyone loves screenshots, but I just had the impulse to quickly make this post. I saw this tweet recently:

Robert Yang posted:

"golden age" of 3D level design was Quake 3; enough fidelity for architecture and lighting, but not enough for obsession with sculpture
...and while he's probably not wrong, I think the original Quake is also at an interesting point on that curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I was just playing through the "retro" jam last night, actually. Really liked that one (barring one of the maps that threw 3-4 Shamblers at you in relatively quick succession with nowhere near enough health and ammo to compensate). I really like how vertical some of those maps get, almost like they're buildings built atop buildings.

Didn't much care for the Zerstörer map pack, though. New weapons didn't quite do it for me, and it chugs in Darkplaces something fierce, particularly since some of their custom gib spawning entities get the gibs indefinitely stuck in level geometry, causing future gibs to get caught inside those gibs, and it keeps spawning more and more until the framerate is unplayable even when you're not directly near them. Might just be a sign that I need to move on from Darkplaces, dunno.