Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Varrick continues to be great,nice to know. It wasn't too bad but I'm sure you could just listen to this episode and get the point there's little reason to watch it. :smith: I feel so bad gently caress Nick forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This episode should have been just Varrick's part. Because that was gold.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

PiedPiper posted:

The next series really needs to be funded via Kickstarter or something. I'd be glad to throw a few bucks in.

As long as the money is used for better writers.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I watched the episode and came to post about how lovely it was, but got hamstrung by that Konietzko blog post. God drat it, Nick.

Nice they had Steve Blum on hand to record some new lines for Amon, though.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
gently caress this loving episode. Jesus christ. I don't want to watch a drat recap.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Vaatu and Zaheer on conference call with Amon was amazing and probably the greatest moment ever in both shows

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Carlosologist posted:

Vaatu and Zaheer on conference call with Amon was amazing and probably the greatest moment ever in both shows

I would say these are my three favorite scenes:
1. Azula and Zuko play beach volleyball
2. Varrick rants about the timer vs. remote detonator
3. Villain conference call

Steensma
Nov 2, 2014

I don't know why this would ruin your expectations for the rest of the season. It seems that they've been fully aware the budget was cut, and have planned accordingly, I'm sure the finale will be dope.

The Varrick stuff should have been the whole episode honestly. The villain conference call was a high point of the show, especially the description of Unalaq as diabolical but extremely unpopular.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My top three would probably have to be
1) Villain conference call (really, that was so great. probably wouldn't have gotten that if the episode was fully funded so it's a bright spot in a sad moment)
2) Aang doing the element ball and kicking Ozai's rear end (series long buildup made that fight great to watch, better since Aang never changed his fundamentals to do what needed to get done)
2) Zaheer flying

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I hated almost every single second of that episode. If i want to know what happened, I'll just watch the earlier episodes. I would much rather they have just not aired this episode at all given they basically just reused animation for more than 95% of it.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
As 3 part anthology of clip shows, the third one is the best. The first two I had to force myself not to fast forward through. Yes, the whole show should have been Varrick's sensational point of view. Still better than a clip-show series finale (for those of us who remember Seinfeld).

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Oh I did like the part where Korra said "Sides" a whole lot too. Zuko has honor, Korra has sides apparently.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Oh well. I didn't know what kind of episode this was gonna be, so I was... less than enthusiastic once I realized. Though I got thorougly blindsided by how genuinely funny Varrick's narration was, holy poo poo... Zombie Amon :haw:

It's too bad, really, but eh. Let's just treat this season as having one episode less. Better shows have done it, I'm not going to complain about it here. I do feel a little duped, having waited another week for a stupid clipshow, but can't do anything about that... Really, if the remaining episodes are a proper return to form, I'll just quietly forget this episode ever existed.

...so, too bad there was no episode this week, eh? OH WELL.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Really, it's a good thing Bryan warned us, as Nick was going to let it slip by as a normal episode. The fan rage would have been even worse.

The only one that I had to force myself to sit through was the romance one with Mako. I liked Korra summing up the connection between the villains (though Random Tenzin was a bit weird), and everything about Bolin and Varrick was solid gold as usual. If only the entire episode was Varrick relating the series--can you imagine his take on the romance storyline?

And any list of great Korra moments would be incomplete without Bolin saving the President.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Sato posted:

If only the entire episode was Varrick relating the series--can you imagine his take on the romance storyline?

It would be really cute if the entire time was just him comparing himself to Mako and Korra to Zhu Li and then he got all teared up by the end then launched into the story he did tell to get his mind off Zhu Li.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sato posted:

And any list of great Korra moments would be incomplete without Bolin saving the President.

AND I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Too bad this episode of Korra was only seven minutes long.
Did y'all notice that they overlayed Bolin's face on the dragon at the end there?

Also Vaatu officially being referred to as a kite was amazing. He's a kite stuck in a tree, you guys.

That moment with the tea between Asami and Korra makes me think they seriously might actually end up together

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 21, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, I was pretty comfortable with ten minutes of explaining in detail why Mako is a terrible, terrible boyfriend. It actually served as a nice little capstone to his love triangle with Korra and Asami. please don't have him and Korra hook up again pleasepleasepleaseplease

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I see lists of great moments in Korra and not one mention about this

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Your gif ends before the best face of the entire series:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
So this was the money saving flashback episode.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

So this was the money saving flashback episode.

Yes, because Nick decided to gently caress with them some more. http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/103173899927/a-few-preemptive-words-about-episode-408

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
I cracked up at them pasting Bolin's face over Spirit-Kaiju Korra.

But yeah, clip shows suck. :smith:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

If some of you are wondering "Well why didn't they just not make the episode if Nick hosed them?", remember that Nick paid them to make a set amount of episodes that needs to be adhered, they just paid them less for it. I think they did the best they could by just making a blatant clipshow.

The writers do need a bigger team to actually deliver on all their promises and ambitions for this show, and s3 and s4 show the somewhat bigger team helped for that, but this episode itself Nick's fault.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

gently caress y'all, that was a fun thing they did with what they could do with Nick constantly screwing them over. Bit of a shame that the romance overview was longer than it should've been, but having the other characters pop in and say "wow Mako, you're kinda lovely" was really funny. And of course, Varrick and the Legion of Darkness was amazing. Except sorcerer Unalaq, he's boring. :v:

In any case, it was a good episode and I will stand by it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

gently caress y'all, that was a fun thing they did with what they could do with Nick constantly screwing them over.

I don't think anybody has been directing any ire/disappointment towards the creators.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm constantly afraid that they'll run out of money and the finale of Korra will end like the Evangelion series.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

gently caress y'all, that was a fun thing they did with what they could do with Nick constantly screwing them over. Bit of a shame that the romance overview was longer than it should've been, but having the other characters pop in and say "wow Mako, you're kinda lovely" was really funny. And of course, Varrick and the Legion of Darkness was amazing. Except sorcerer Unalaq, he's boring. :v:

In any case, it was a good episode and I will stand by it.

It definitely could have been worse, though I'm slightly annoyed that we got this after the cliffhanger with Kuvira and the Swamp. Steve Blum owned as Amon in the conference call; I thought Henry Rollins was a bit off to the point where I wondered at first whether they got someone else to do his lines. I always liked Adrian LaTourelle's voicework as Unalaq so I really liked that they brought him back.

Although how did Varrick even know that Amon was dead? I'm just going to assume that the remains of their boat with shreds of Amon's costume washed up someplace populated.

Or, you know, I could just go by the last line of the episode. :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Golden Goat posted:

I'm constantly afraid that they'll run out of money and the finale of Korra will end like the Evangelion series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDajqW561KM

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I remember Star Trek: The Next Generation doing an episode like this. It was the suckiest episode of that show.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

I remember Star Trek: The Next Generation doing an episode like this. It was the suckiest episode of that show.

Bryan K specifically name-dropped that TNG episode in his blog post about this one, haha.

quote:

...having grown up on TV in the ’80s and ’90s, we all dread clips episodes, where characters sit around saying, “Remember that time when…” and leftover footage is reheated for no one’s enjoyment. Anyone who suffered through TNG’s “Shades of Gray” knows what I’m talking about.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Fair bit of warning, then: if that actually happens, I will have so much internet rage like boy dang that is woah

That aside, while I am entertained, part of me wants this season to be... y'know... grand. So far, the season has been very subdued compared to what we're used to. I'm getting serious flashbacks to S1: the robots are back, and most enemies aren't flashy with explosions, but rather physical. In S1 of course because of the Equalists, here because of all the metalbenders. Even our big villain so far fights very subdued compared to Unalaq's spirit shenanigans and Zaheer's shotgun airblasts (even though the sheer elegance of it is jaw-dropping - seriously, watch that bandit attack on the train in episode 1 and tell me I'm wrong). I'm worried this isn't just storytelling, but also a production issue. Of course, I'm not gonna complain one bit if we really do get the spectacular magical kung-fu finale that was S2 and S3 - it'll be all worth it. (Although an awesome fight scene for Mako would be nice. Aaaand the return of the swordbender. YOU KNOW IT WILL HAPPEN.)

At least the clip show episode has once again shown that, if anything, the producers are excellent at redirecting blame. You might even say they're...

...nah too obvious

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

Fair bit of warning, then: if that actually happens, I will have so much internet rage like boy dang that is woah

That aside, while I am entertained, part of me wants this season to be... y'know... grand. So far, the season has been very subdued compared to what we're used to. I'm getting serious flashbacks to S1: the robots are back, and most enemies aren't flashy with explosions, but rather physical. In S1 of course because of the Equalists, here because of all the metalbenders. Even our big villain so far fights very subdued compared to Unalaq's spirit shenanigans and Zaheer's shotgun airblasts (even though the sheer elegance of it is jaw-dropping - seriously, watch that bandit attack on the train in episode 1 and tell me I'm wrong). I'm worried this isn't just storytelling, but also a production issue. Of course, I'm not gonna complain one bit if we really do get the spectacular magical kung-fu finale that was S2 and S3 - it'll be all worth it. (Although an awesome fight scene for Mako would be nice. Aaaand the return of the swordbender. YOU KNOW IT WILL HAPPEN.)

At least the clip show episode has once again shown that, if anything, the producers are excellent at redirecting blame. You might even say they're...

...nah too obvious

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing they're emulating season 1. That season was great up until the finale which is why the finale was so disappointing. Besides, remember that the final season of the original series was in large part camping out in the Fire Nation. They even had time for their own clip show of sorts. I like that the final season seems comparatively low-key because really, what can top season 2 in terms of battling for the fate of the world? This season seems more about Korra's personal battles and I think that's a nice callback to the beginning of the show and brings everything full-circle.

And spirit nukes are the opposite of subdued.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I thought it was interesting how they framed each section. Section one was "Mako is really bad at relationships" which is undeniably true, but they included Korra saying that Mako and her would never work out so I have hope they won't try and rehash that. Section two was all the poo poo Korra's worried about spelled out and was honestly the most boring part to me. Section three was basically the creators having fun with what they've done, so that was fun. Still, a clip-show sucks, no matter the reason.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

VanSandman posted:

I thought it was interesting how they framed each section. Section one was "Mako is really bad at relationships" which is undeniably true, but they included Korra saying that Mako and her would never work out so I have hope they won't try and rehash that. Section two was all the poo poo Korra's worried about spelled out and was honestly the most boring part to me. Section three was basically the creators having fun with what they've done, so that was fun. Still, a clip-show sucks, no matter the reason.

The romance section ended with Mako talking about how much he admired her and how much she inspired him, so I wouldn't be surprised if that led to Mako realizing he still has feelings for her. Like you I hope the creators let sleeping dogs lie though.

One thing I noticed was Korra said her connection to her past lives was lost, not that it was destroyed forever (which you know she would have included in her litany of woe if it were true). That makes me think she will regain her connection in the finale--the wording seemed very Aang in season 3 to me.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Sato posted:

Really, it's a good thing Bryan warned us, as Nick was going to let it slip by as a normal episode. The fan rage would have been even worse.

Not only that, but the Nick twitter was hyping it in the worst way possible:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
What a poo poo episode. It was a highlight of the shittiest part of the past seasons. They should've just skipped an episode if they couldn't afford to make this one.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

What a poo poo episode. It was a highlight of the shittiest part of the past seasons. They should've just skipped an episode if they couldn't afford to make this one.

You're an idiot.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Bryan said they weren't going to do that because he wants his crew to get paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Not only that, but the Nick twitter was hyping it in the worst way possible:

At least they didn't say 'Korrasami', so there's that.

• Locked thread