Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

God, everything about this is just so funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Also wow Pierrot looks really bad when it's showing up in the same episode as Mir animation.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Also wow Pierrot looks really bad when it's showing up in the same episode as Mir animation.

Yeah, we got a ugly combo of Pierrot, chibi anime faces, and love triangle with Mako's flashbacks.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

What a poo poo episode. It was a highlight of the shittiest part of the past seasons. They should've just skipped an episode if they couldn't afford to make this one.

Hi, they literally couldn't. Nick commissioned the amount of episodes they commissioned, then cut the budget, they can't not turn the full amount while still fulfilling their contract. It's one single clips episode, suck it up and deal.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kojiro posted:

Hi, they literally couldn't. Nick commissioned the amount of episodes they commissioned, then cut the budget, they can't not turn the full amount while still fulfilling their contract. It's one single clips episode, suck it up and deal.

Someone just quote this at the top of every page, please.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Someone just quote this at the top of every page, please.

Or change the thread title.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Legend of Korra Book 4: This is (Not) Budgeted for a Good Season

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The thread title is never changing, and we all need to make peace with that.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Rosalind posted:

This has my vote.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

MrAristocrates posted:

please keep complaining about the thread title, it's really funny.

Like, what about this are you not getting?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rosalind posted:

The next five episodes are going to be high-octane as gently caress and blow our minds. This will be a good season, y'all.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Almost certain Netflix gave Arrested Development a shoestring budget. I wouldn't say they are the best choice.

LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

Disappointed that it had to be a clipshow this week, though Varricks revisionist history saved it for me. Especially the conference call of evil.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MrAristocrates posted:

Like, what about this are you not getting?
If I wanted Evangelion jokes and "u mad bro" I'd go to /co/.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The next five episodes are going to be high-octane as gently caress and blow our minds. This will be a good season, y'all.

I definitely have high expectations. I think Bryke aren't going to let this amazing world they've created end with a whimper.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If I wanted Evangelion jokes and "u mad bro" I'd go to /co/.

You should lock the thread and have a tantrum about it.

Oh no.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

With how frank the creators are being about Nick, I don't think we'll ever get another iteration of Avatar in our lifetime.

edit: for all of your lifetimes :(

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think this episode sums up the differences between AtLA and LoK perfectly. AtLA gets the Ember Island Players, LoK gets a clip show. :sigh:

Rosalind posted:

I definitely have high expectations. I think Bryke aren't going to let this amazing world they've created end with a whimper.

It may not be their choice. We have no idea how much the budget got slashed, so who knows if they put in a clip episode because spreading out one episodes budget to the next 4-5 made the quality difference, or if they honestly could not fund 12 full episodes with their budget. If it's the latter, I don't expect the next episodes to be any higher quality than the previous six. Gone are the days when the show was doing so well Mike & Bryan could go to Nick's executives and convince them to give them money to hire a live orchestra for the series finale score.

Still, mad props to Bryan for sticking his neck out to let people know in advance it'd be a clip show. Nick was hyping it up as a full episode because they're awful. I can sympathize with "our budget was slashed, we did the best we could." :smith:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sydin posted:

We have no idea how much the budget got slashed

The blog post said that it was basically the cost of one episode.

quote:

We got the news from the higher-ups that our Book 4 budget was getting slashed, almost to the tune of an entire episode’s budget. We had two options: 1) let go a significant number of crew members several weeks early, or 2) make a clips episode. We never considered the first option.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh, fair enough then. :v: In that case I'd say expect the same level of quality of the finale as the previous episodes. Maybe a little higher if they managed to save a little money between the clip episode and pulled back the animation levels a little on the previous ones.

Also Varrick as Avatar world Michael Bay was incredible and his 1/3rd of the episode basically saved it.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Sydin posted:

I think this episode sums up the differences between AtLA and LoK perfectly. AtLA gets the Ember Island Players, LoK gets a clip show. :sigh:

It may not be their choice. We have no idea how much the budget got slashed, so who knows if they put in a clip episode because spreading out one episodes budget to the next 4-5 made the quality difference, or if they honestly could not fund 12 full episodes with their budget. If it's the latter, I don't expect the next episodes to be any higher quality than the previous six. Gone are the days when the show was doing so well Mike & Bryan could go to Nick's executives and convince them to give them money to hire a live orchestra for the series finale score.

Still, mad props to Bryan for sticking his neck out to let people know in advance it'd be a clip show. Nick was hyping it up as a full episode because they're awful. I can sympathize with "our budget was slashed, we did the best we could." :smith:

I really hope that Nick doesn't view the ratings for Korra as justification that they were right that a female lead wouldn't be successful. Korra's a great protagonist and we tend to not see many like her, so it'd be awful if this show were seen as a cautionary tale.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sato posted:

I really hope that Nick doesn't view the ratings for Korra as justification that they were right that a female lead wouldn't be successful. Korra's a great protagonist and we tend to not see many like her, so it'd be awful if this show were seen as a cautionary tale.
When you're willing to gently caress with timeslots and aggressively not market something, you can make even the best shows ratings disasters. Fox has proven it again and again, I guess Nick wanted to get in on the party.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
oops.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Kojiro posted:

If they had to do a clips episode, they should have at least left it as a post finale thing instead of setting up an exciting episode last week and then delivering this as a weird intermission.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

If they had to do a clips episode, they should have at least left it as a post finale thing instead of setting up an exciting episode last week and then delivering this as a weird intermission.

Have what is technically the final episode be a clip show? Especially with the short notice we got for this one and Nick pretending it's an actual episode? That would be even worse.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Saw it was a clip show, didn't even bother watching it. :(

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'll admit to being disappointed with the news too, but holy poo poo the last third redeemed it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I just watched it, I thought it was actually pretty great. There's in-universe narration over top of all of the clips, so it's not so bad.

Nickelodeon is still poo poo for making it necessary, though.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
I feel like this clip show would have been a lot better if they animated over the archived audio of old episodes with the chibi animation. At least there would be a reason to watch it, but as it stands now it's pretty much the only 100% completely useless filler episode in all of Avatar.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

I feel like this clip show would have been a lot better if they animated over the archived audio of old episodes with the chibi animation. At least there would be a reason to watch it, but as it stands now it's pretty much the only 100% completely useless filler episode in all of Avatar.

The Great Divide. :colbert:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Take my advice and at least watch the last 10 minutes. It's actually worth it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The last ten were great, but the first ten fixated on literally the worst aspect of the show. Hearing Mako talk at length in poor prose about his relationship sagas and how Korra taught him to wuv or something was not something I would wish upon my worst enemies.

The Korra part wasn't as bad but was still really banal and by-the-numbers. "What is my purpose? Am I still needed?" "Of course you are! You're the Avatar!" Thanks guys, that's super great.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The episode was entirely justified by the Varrick stuff.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

The last ten were great, but the first ten fixated on literally the worst aspect of the show. Hearing Mako talk at length in poor prose about his relationship sagas and how Korra taught him to wuv or something was not something I would wish upon my worst enemies.

Well, at least we know where he got his crappiness as a boyfriend from.

Genocyber posted:

The episode was entirely justified by the Varrick stuff.

I agree with Varrick and the refugees, this episode needed more musical numbers.

And we have confirmation of where Bolin and Varrick are headed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

It did also involve every one of his friends and family repeatedly giving him poo poo for his horrible relationship decisions, though, which was pretty entertaining.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

It did also involve every one of his friends and family repeatedly giving him poo poo for his horrible relationship decisions, though, which was pretty entertaining.

If Wu is Mako's only friend he's worse off than I thought.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Mako's granddad must've been a real dickweed.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Do you see how many grandkids that guy has? Talk about sowing wild oats!

fakee: I took a second to rethink the genealogy and realized that this was a dumb post.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Entire episode should have been Bolin, Varrick and the refugees. Varrick wasn't around for season one, so it'd start with Bolin's retelling of the events in Republic City, advising them not to work for the Triads, by the way have you heard of the time he saved the President??? Oh and everyone else did stuff too I guess. Mako struck out with both Korra and Asami hahaha. And I guess Amon was a thing too. First ten minutes done, minimum amount of romance drama. Varrick bursts out of the cabin and announces his mover, and the rest of the episode proceeds as we saw it, recapping seasons two and three kinda.

In fact I'm going to pretend that WAS the episode and am actively fabricating memories to that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Remember that part where Bolin's voice was dubbed over both Mako and Korra when they played the clip of their breakup

"But watermuffin!" "Don't you watermuffin me!" (Kick table)

• Locked thread