Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

precision posted:

I don't know how I'm supposed to have any motivation for wanting to meet with the Templars when all I know about them is that they just punched a woman in the face and then went "PEACE WE'RE OUT C'MON BROS".

It's like everyone in every Dragon Age game is a complete moron except for the PC. And even that isn't always true.

There's a really good reason for that happening though, you find out later. I wont say any more than that. Also I ended up going to the Templars first because they seemed like they would be trouble otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fade Rifts seem to be kicking my rear end a lot while everything else can barely touch me. It doesn't help that the moment my mage casts a spell every demon drops everything to try to punch me in the face, with or without Cassandra's war cry. Should I be leaving them for later? They're level 4 same as everything else (and me). I can still close them, but I have to use a lot of potions to do it.

Speaking of which will my party use the regeneration potions and fire bombs I give them without me telling them to?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RBA Starblade posted:

Fade Rifts seem to be kicking my rear end a lot while everything else can barely touch me. It doesn't help that the moment my mage casts a spell every demon drops everything to try to punch me in the face, with or without Cassandra's war cry. Should I be leaving them for later? They're level 4 same as everything else (and me). I can still close them, but I have to use a lot of potions to do it.

Speaking of which will my party use the regeneration potions and fire bombs I give them without me telling them to?

Fade Rifts are the hardest thing I've faced in general, yeah.

It's mostly those loving leap-out-of-the-ground lesser terrors. They are a bitch to keep under control.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 21, 2014

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kurtofan posted:

Do I get new companions there or should I advance the main story "inquisitor path" mission instead?

Do the plot mission that involves talking to some people over in the Orlais city -- might need to do some questing for a bit of power, first. That mission leads directly to getting a new pile of companions.

E:

RBA Starblade posted:

Fade Rifts seem to be kicking my rear end a lot while everything else can barely touch me.

If you have dispel, you can use it on the spots where a demon is going to be summoned in the next wave and it'll just never pop up. Also if you DO manage to get all the aggro off your mail character remember you can disrupt the rift which stuns demons for a lil' while.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Got this today and literally just started.

That new game :stare:

Again anyone have the list so I can check my world state?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Flemeth being Mythal is a hilarious twist.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
Does anyone know if this is like Dragon Age 2 where being in one romance completely shuts you off from another or if it's more like Origins where the others will just force you to choose?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

NmareBfly posted:

Do the plot mission that involves talking to some people over in the Orlais city -- might need to do some questing for a bit of power, first. That mission leads directly to getting a new pile of companions.

Ok, thanks.

I'm actually looking for Iron Bull, Cole and Dorian.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I also would like to know if I can be a loose woman in this game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Got this today and literally just started.

That new game :stare:

Again anyone have the list so I can check my world state?

First, check the keep. If your save imported, it'll be associated with Inquistion on your states page (page 2).

Second, talk to Threnn, Leliana, Cullen and Varric in Haven to hear what they have to say about themselves. They'll tell you about what happened in old games.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Ok, thanks.

I'm actually looking for Iron Bull, Cole and Dorian.

Iron Bull shows up soon, for the other two you need to do the next string of plot missions that involves choosing a side and probably a bit of sidequesting for power and a couple levels.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

NmareBfly posted:

Iron Bull shows up soon, for the other two you need to do the next string of plot missions that involves choosing a side and probably a bit of sidequesting for power and a couple levels.

Cool, thanks.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

I also would like to know if I can be a loose woman in this game.

I was annoyed when (early iron bull conversation) my first flirt was like ~oh you you don't know what REAL LOVE is~ when I was expecting something like the bit from Saints Row 4.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Getting Sera, Vivienne, Blackwall and Iron Bull is hard to miss because they all have quests that literally say "Come meet this new party member here".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So those areas you unlock (Forbidden Oasis etc...) are just for side missions? Is there a time limit attached to those or something?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

precision posted:

I don't know how I'm supposed to have any motivation for wanting to meet with the Templars when all I know about them is that they just punched a woman in the face and then went "PEACE WE'RE OUT C'MON BROS".

It's like everyone in every Dragon Age game is a complete moron except for the PC. And even that isn't always true.

In the case of the Templars, it's the bad apples analogy. The Chantry is generally trying to help the people/itself, Cassandra talks about how most Seekers want to do good for the world, and everyone you talk to mentions the Templars are fine outside of their leadership. This is why Cassandra/Leliana are so insistent you go deal with the Templars first, because hey, if we can get rid of the current Lord Seeker/whatever the problem is, we can bring all the Templars in line quickly and easily, since the Inquisition is the good ones that had enough personal ethics to actually quit/form a new body, but the majority are still good, just loyal to a fault.

In the case of the Mages, literally no Mage outside of Wynne/Irving has been good, they've all been power hungry fuckers barely held in check. Yeah it sucks whats happening to them, but look at the state of the world/what they did with their freedom. It's the flaw with literally every proMage argument in the Dragon Age world, because while yeah, Dorian or Solas just decided to go be cool dudes in the woods, literally ever other Mage started cackling to themselves about how they've finally been given that opportunity to use Blood Magic they were waiting for.

This is also why you get massive, massive approval penalties for helping the Mages/not just sending them all to magic prison when you have the chance. Because you are taking a current real world analogy ( enslavement/tranquiling these people is wrong! everyone should be free! ), while not taking into account that every time Bioware has presented free Mages they've turned dumb/evil. Of course nobody on your team supports helping the dumb Mages, not even the Mage! Instead they all want you to just go fix whatever the gently caress is wrong with the Templars so they can start doing their job again, this time just not as evil.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 21, 2014

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I liked the first two installments of DA and will likely get this. I saw in the first couple of pages no mods for this game?

Not sure whether to get a console or PC version. Normally, I'd go for PC, but my wife usually likes to watch these types of games because it's a really long movie for her and playing on the giant TV is always fun.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

So those areas you unlock (Forbidden Oasis etc...) are just for side missions? Is there a time limit attached to those or something?

Yes, and not that I've seen so far but I'm only at the start of chapter 2.

In fact, right now I'm a little lost as what to do next -- I've cleaned up most of Hinterlands and the Swamp but barely touched the other areas and there's just such a giant pile of content to poke that I dunno where to go.

E: Is there any way to change a character's face midgame? Doubt it, just checking. My eyeshadow is bugging me.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 21, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I did the same with Alexius for the same reasons. Erimond however, I thought it would be much crueler making him a tranquil, rather than a martyr.

Making him Traquil would have been excellent poetic justice, but I'd be doing a pretty poor job roleplaying as a firebreathing mage rebel (or, well, rebellion-sympathizer, since my inquisitor is Dalish and therefore presumably has never seen a cirlce in her life) if I let that happen; Tranquility seems like it's pretty high on the list of mage grievances so I feel like I should oppose it on principle.

As the game progresses, I, the player sitting in front of her computer in the real world, am finding myself walking back a bit from being super anti-Templar and anti-Circle as the game goes out of its way to remind you that Kirkwall's Gallows were a very atypical Circle, but in character it's super fun to keep playing as a super-Dalish apostate malcontent.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

wjs5 posted:

Wait hold on you sperg the gently caress out on pressing a key on a keyboard but sera's talking is fine?

Can you loving retards stop pretending you need aspergers to hate the lovely kb/m controls. They suck very badly and if you had more than 2 brain cells to rub together you would understand this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rookersh posted:

This is also why you get massive, massive approval penalties for helping the Mages/not just sending them all to magic prison when you have the chance. Because you are taking a current real world analogy ( enslavement/tranquiling these people is wrong! everyone should be free! ), while not taking into account that every time Bioware has presented free Mages they've turned dumb/evil. Of course nobody on your team supports helping the dumb Mages, not even the Mage! Instead they all want you to just go fix whatever the gently caress is wrong with the Templars so they can start doing their job again, this time just not as evil.

As a Dalish mage I can't decide if I want to support the mages or the templars. On the one hand I'm a mage and the imprisonment and lobotomizing thing is kind of hosed, on the other hand, the last time I did that they gave up in like five seconds and got possessed by demons. Also is Cullen the templar dude from DA:O in the mage tower quest? Because I sided with him last time too, but that was more because I wasn't paying attention to Morrigan and agreed the mages and Wynne are sheep but didn't hear that she thinks we should murder them all. Then we murdered them all. As a Dalish elf though I guess she really doesn't give a poo poo either way.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

MoraleHazard posted:

I liked the first two installments of DA and will likely get this. I saw in the first couple of pages no mods for this game?

Not sure whether to get a console or PC version. Normally, I'd go for PC, but my wife usually likes to watch these types of games because it's a really long movie for her and playing on the giant TV is always fun.

Get a $20 hdmi cable and run it through Steam big picture. Looks amazing.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Can you loving retards stop pretending you need aspergers to hate the lovely kb/m controls. They suck very badly and if you had more than 2 brain cells to rub together you would understand this.

KB/M wasn't unplayable or anything, but I'm having much more fun since I plugged in my controller and started using it instead. I'm used to the whole WASD/number keys for abilities/etc. control scheme from the zillions of MMOs I've played (and since I don't own a console I barely ever play anything with a controller), but the implementation of it here felt kind of floaty and bad-- the game really does seem to have been designed with the controller in mind. Even the character creator was easier to work with with a controller, which surprised me.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Tokubetsu posted:

The previous two games made it really easy to sympathize with the mages but I just chose the mages over templars in this one and holy poo poo are they just colossal idiots and gently caress ups in this. Basically children with fire that cannot be left alone at all.

Yeah the guys who turn into blood mages and then into demons at the first sign of being in danger sure were represented well in previous Dragon Ages. There have been no good reason to not kill every mage in the DA games, they're all huge morons and incredibly dangerous.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rincewind posted:

KB/M wasn't unplayable or anything, but I'm having much more fun since I plugged in my controller and started using it instead. I'm used to the whole WASD/number keys for abilities/etc. control scheme from the zillions of MMOs I've played (and since I don't own a console I barely ever play anything with a controller), but the implementation of it here felt kind of floaty and bad-- the game really does seem to have been designed with the controller in mind. Even the character creator was easier to work with with a controller, which surprised me.

Yeah I plugged in my controller pretty quickly too, even though this is the kind of game where I prefer pc controls. It bugs me that you can't use either at the same time. Lots of little things that add up to some pretty annoying poo poo. Anyway, I'm enjoying playing this on my couch, but if I didn't have that luxury I would be pretty sore.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rincewind posted:

Making him Traquil would have been excellent poetic justice, but I'd be doing a pretty poor job roleplaying as a firebreathing mage rebel (or, well, rebellion-sympathizer, since my inquisitor is Dalish and therefore presumably has never seen a cirlce in her life) if I let that happen; Tranquility seems like it's pretty high on the list of mage grievances so I feel like I should oppose it on principle.

As the game progresses, I, the player sitting in front of her computer in the real world, am finding myself walking back a bit from being super anti-Templar and anti-Circle as the game goes out of its way to remind you that Kirkwall's Gallows were a very atypical Circle, but in character it's super fun to keep playing as a super-Dalish apostate malcontent.

I took a completely different option: I made him research magic for the Inquisition under guard, reasoning that everything he did, he did for his ill son. There's nothing left in that shell to kill, and there's no question that he's a brilliant man. Solas, Dorian, and Vivienne all liked that move.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

I was annoyed when (early iron bull conversation) my first flirt was like ~oh you you don't know what REAL LOVE is~ when I was expecting something like the bit from Saints Row 4.

Is this a no? Fucks sake.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rincewind posted:

I just want it to stop unpausing the game every time I take control of another character. It's incredibly annoying especially if you're trying to set up barriers.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

As a Dalish mage I can't decide if I want to support the mages or the templars. On the one hand I'm a mage and the imprisonment and lobotomizing thing is kind of hosed, on the other hand, the last time I did that they gave up in like five seconds and got possessed by demons. Also is Cullen the templar dude from DA:O in the mage tower quest? Because I sided with him last time too, but that was more because I wasn't paying attention to Morrigan and agreed the mages and Wynne are sheep but didn't hear that she thinks we should murder them all. Then we murdered them all. As a Dalish elf though I guess she really doesn't give a poo poo either way.

They retconned Tranquiling. Now you are the same exact person you were, and still have all your normal thoughts/opinions, you just don't feel powerful emotions/can't cast Magic. But you can still feel emotions ( just not powerful ones ), and it wears off after a few years, during which time the Templars apparently try to encourage them to be better people/not crazy.

I'm guessing the rapist Templar targeting Tranquil Mages because they wouldn't fight back caused a big enough uproar they decided to retcon it a bit. Also because there wasn't any good justification for it.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I need to stop accidentally hovering over spoilers.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Rookersh posted:

They retconned Tranquiling. Now you are the same exact person you were, and still have all your normal thoughts/opinions, you just don't feel powerful emotions/can't cast Magic. But you can still feel emotions ( just not powerful ones ), and it wears off after a few years, during which time the Templars apparently try to encourage them to be better people/not crazy.

I'm guessing the rapist Templar targeting Tranquil Mages because they wouldn't fight back caused a big enough uproar they decided to retcon it a bit. Also because there wasn't any good justification for it.

Huh. That does paint the Templars in a far better light now. Far more the "Protecting the Mage -and- the rest of the world" than "Protecting the world, screw the mage"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Tokubetsu posted:

The previous two games made it really easy to sympathize with the mages but I just chose the mages over templars in this one and holy poo poo are they just colossal idiots and gently caress ups in this. Basically children with fire that cannot be left alone at all.

The mages were screw ups who picked a terrible, overly convenient option from a transparently evil manipulator (though given how many civilian mage children and harmless scholars they're supposed to protecting, it's kind of understandable why they'd take big risks for powerful allies), but I'd still rather have their mission done than let the time warping villain go unchecked. Unless the main templar villain is risking the fabric of reality before his boss even shows up, then it's a lesser priority. Besides, we've seen what kind of stupidity the mages get to when desperate. Better to let them have some security than let them continue to be desperate (read: stupid).

That said, I'd gladly do both missions, if only because people in camp have personal connections to templars.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Thoughts on Stroud and Adamant Fortress (and, um, where you go right after that)

I liked Stroud, but I like how you can really tell that he was filling in for somebody more important than him who I'd gotten killed in my colossal gently caress-up of a Dragon Age 1 run; he was really the Padok Wiks of the Grey Wardens. There's even the conversation with Varric afterwards where some sad music plays but Varric's all like, "Well, I didn't really know Stroud, but he seemed... okay?".

It probably didn't help that in the DA2 game that's freshest in my memory, Stroud didn't appear at all because of an import bug that led to Alistair mysterious returning from the grave to appear as a Grey Warden in Kirkwall instead of staying dead like he was meant to. :v:

Overall, I liked the whole Hawke/Stroud/Varric adventure time (and Adamant Fortress was an incredible setpiece), though. Hawke seemed to act very much in keeping with how she did in my DA2 game-- I'm glad the Keep asked for Hawke's personality, because she wouldn't be Hawke if she weren't making dumb jokes at inappropriate times constantly.

Question re: mages vs. templars: What happens if you don't kill Anders (and stood by him) in DA2? Does it affect Hawke's situation at all? Does Anders actually rear his ugly head? Does everyone hate mages even more?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Can anyone tell me how do people find 2 handed warriors, and rogues?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

UberJumper posted:

You can turn Cassandra into a two handed warrior, if you want. Any companion can use either of the weapons for their class, though Varric can only use Bianca instead of regular bows. As for other party members, you get their quests after your first big meeting with the Chantry in Orlais.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Cythereal posted:

I took a completely different option: I made him research magic for the Inquisition under guard, reasoning that everything he did, he did for his ill son. There's nothing left in that shell to kill, and there's no question that he's a brilliant man. Solas, Dorian, and Vivienne all liked that move.

Oh, I was talking about Erimond, who was totally unrepentant but who you also get the option to make Tranquil. Maybe it comes up for every mage you sit in judgement for? I agree with you about Alexius, although I put him to work studying with the rebel mages instead of the Inquisition

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

UberJumper posted:

Discount section at "Stabby People R Us". But I would be interested in this too!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Rincewind posted:

Making Alexius Traquil would have been excellent poetic justice, but I'd be doing a pretty poor job roleplaying as a firebreathing mage rebel (or, well, rebellion-sympathizer, since my inquisitor is Dalish and therefore presumably has never seen a cirlce in her life) if I let that happen; Tranquility seems like it's pretty high on the list of mage grievances so I feel like I should oppose it on principle.

My elf mage Inquisitor went with the Tranquil option for Alexius (and really pissed off Dorian doing so) but I think that it's actually pretty easy for the Dalish mage in particular to backtrack from Solas' position to something like Vivienne's. The Dalish mage has likely never seen a circle in their life but then again unless they were part of Merrill's clan they've likely never seen just how catastrophically wrong unrestrained magery can go. (as a bonus, I like that if you import a worldstate where Merrill killed her clan you can run into the sole survivor in DAI).

Actually there's a dialogue with Vivienne after you make the Templar/Mage choice (it may only occur if you side with the mages - I got it after taking the mage mission but then conscripting them) where you can say "But (Faction X) doesn't need Templars!" - I obviously went with the Dalish choice there and she reminded my PC that the Dalish don't have Templars and instead keep only 1 Keeper and 2 Apprentices at any given time and exile the rest to either other clans or an unspecified but probably grisly fate - there isn't a chance to say if the PC really thinks that's a better option, mostly because I imagine Vivienne dropping the mic and walking away.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Rincewind posted:

Oh, I was talking about Erimond, who was totally unrepentant but who you also get the option to make Tranquil. Maybe it comes up for every mage you sit in judgement for? I agree with you about Alexius, although I put him to work studying with the rebel mages instead of the Inquisition

Dayam, if you can just tranquil any mage you want thats...pretty harsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So I doubt anyone can help but it's worth asking. I can't get Origin to launch. Because of this even though I've got an actual disk copy I cannot install or play the loving game. When I try and launch it, there's a moment of loading then nothing.
I've seen other people have had this issue but it sounds like most of them have had it suddenly happen on existing Origin installations so they can still click "My Games" or whatever. I have nothing like that.

It means I cannot play Dragon Age at all and I don't really know what to do. Their forum is useless for it as all the suggestions don't work. Has anyone else had this issue since buying the game?

• Locked thread