Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Cythereal posted:

And I would enjoy every second of it. A lovely, smart, capable black woman who knows what she wants? Why oh why couldn't that be an option instead of a British street punk stereotype whose idea of a perfect romantic gift is apparently shaving your pubes into an obscene shape, if that spoiler I read is to be believed?

Oh yeah, she'd be a way more interesting character than Sera. I feel a bit jilted on that honestly. My biggest complaint about Sera isn't even how perverted or lewd or whatever she is, that's fine... it's just that she feels like she acts literally like 14-15 years old compared to every other companion, and the idea of romancing her seems really creepy due to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Cythereal posted:

It's the reason why the royal boon thing wasn't in the Keep. Gaider decided that the Chantry decided to be a dick in the case of the mage, Dalish elf, city elf, or dwarf boons.

Wait, seriously? What's the Chantry's problem with helping the Dwarves fight darkspawn? Just being dicks to "heretics"?

And someone remind me why the Chantry's so racist towards elves?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Cythereal posted:

And I would enjoy every second of it. A lovely, smart, capable black woman who knows what she wants? Why oh why couldn't that be an option instead of a British street punk stereotype whose idea of a perfect romantic gift is apparently shaving your pubes into an obscene shape, if that spoiler I read is to be believed?
They should have made it so Viv is only romanceable if you make a black character :haw: See who flips their poo poo over that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nephthys posted:

Short version: both races have been dicks to each other since the days of Arlathan and Tevinter.

Long version: Tevinter conquered Arlathan and shattered the elves into slaves and Dalish. The Dalish armies joined Andraste's rebellion and her greatest general was a Dalish warlord. She promised them a land of their own for their allegiance and aid, creating the Dales and memorializing their efforts in the Canticle of Shartan.

During the First Blight, after the darkspawn crushed the dwarves and moved to the surface, the Dales refused to become involved in a human war just as the humans refused to become involved in a dwarf war. After the First Blight was defeated, the Chantry declared the Canticle of Shartan a heretical forgery and declared an exalted march on the Dales, destroying the second elf homeland.

Both races have hated each other ever since and been caught in a perpetual cycle of hatred and violence.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
After taking control of Cassandra and actually using a shield warrior for some hairy fights, I might have to make one to play. With bulls charge, lunge & slash, upgraded payback strike, etc., I'm all over the battlefield holding aggro on everything. Playing smart with shield wall means she basically doesn't need a barrier ever either.

Turns out defensive warriors are baller as gently caress if the player and not the AI is controlling them. Who knew?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Can somebody give me the rundown on how Knight Enchanters work? I mostly picked it for flavor reasons, so I'm not really sure what I should be doing/what abilities work well for it/etc.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Nephthys posted:

Wait, seriously? What's the Chantry's problem with helping the Dwarves fight darkspawn? Just being dicks to "heretics"?

The Dwarven ones wasn't given a reason, but the Mage freedom one, granting the elves an arldom and granting the Dalish land all ended with the Divine being like 'yeah no if you do that we will stage an exalted march on your nation' and the King/Queen pulled out.

Anyways, the Chantry's history with the elves go like this - The Elven slaves joined Andraste in fighting off Tevinter. In exchange, they were granted the Dales as a nation for elves. THe human nations constantly encroached on their lands, tried to convert them, etc. The elves refused conversion and became more and more cold, eventually refusing diplomats from the human nations, because they'd almost always go there just to spread the Chant of Light. Then poo poo gets different depending on the race. Elven records record that the Elves banished all Chantry personnel from the nation, causing the Templars to begin an Exalted March. Human records say that elven raiders attacked a local human residence and were sacrilegious, so they began an Exalted March.

They became slaves again after the Dales fell, and a lot of higher ups in the Chantry believe that elves are ungodly, to the point where the Grand Divine or whatever had all chantry-art depicting Elves burned, and struck the whole 'elves are the reason Andraste won against Tevinter' bits of history from being something real. To the point where you can be killed for the sacrilege of mentioning that information.

Edit: A few priests and 'official' authors of the Chantry have written treatises on how elves are actually more like rabbits than people, and are prey animals to be hunted, because they were not born under the Maker's Light.

The whole Chantry thing is really ingrained in racism against elves and it's dumb and gently caress the chantry.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Not going to read the thread because spoilers but just thought I would chime in about the Xbox 360 experience because I know us old console folks are a rarity.

Bioware did a truly horrible job rushing the 360 port. I'm playing Qunari so in every cut scene my chin phases through the my shirt collar, character details in cut-scene pop on an off, occasionally a line of dialogue will be scrambled to the point of being incoherent gibberish, navigating any closed in space slows the frame rate or something so that it looks like I'm playing via a picture flip book, sometimes the camera will zoom in on a blank space instead of a character, the "forward time" button on the pause map flat out doesn't work in some areas, and I haven''t gone over half of the really amazing issues that constantly reminds you that your playing a video game and not smashing demons in a world of fantasy racism.

I still love this game.

I imagine the experience is much better without all these flaws but the game-play mechanics are more than fun enough that I'm happy spending hours and hours wandering about Thedas.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Wel1! I'm feeling a lot better about my whole "gently caress the Chantry" policy, then.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rincewind posted:

Wel1! I'm feeling a lot better about my whole "gently caress the Chantry" policy, then.

It's not the only part of the Chant of Light the modern Chantry has forbidden, either. They also extirpated the part where Andraste's treacherous husband repented of his deeds and dedicated his life to atonement, which the Maker eventually granted him. The Andrastian Chantry declared it heretical in order to exclude men from positions of high leadership in the church.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddammnit I can't run this goddamn game. I've tried the 60 fps fix, and updating my drivers, it Just keeps hanging on either the main menu, or when trying to create a new game.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Basically, the greatest hero for this series will be Thedas Martin Luther.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Geostomp posted:

Basically, the greatest hero for this series will be Thedas Martin Luther.

That could have been Leliana, given her role in DAO, but we got her as a spymaster instead. Mildly disappointed.

That being said, Solas specifically pulls an elf aside after the finale of Act 1 but before you reach Skyhold to warn them that no matter how much the humans love him/her now, they will turn on them simply for being an elf sooner or later.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Rincewind posted:

Can somebody give me the rundown on how Knight Enchanters work? I mostly picked it for flavor reasons, so I'm not really sure what I should be doing/what abilities work well for it/etc.

Barriers, barriers, barriers.

The last three passives all relate to barriers and your focus ability is the only renewable healing source in the game, so you can basically never die if you play it right. Of note is that your starting ability is a spell, not a basic attack, so Clean Burn from the Inferno tree means you can shorten your cooldowns really quickly and cheaply. An easy set-up is to go left in the Frost tree to get Mana Surge after Winter's Grasp so your barriers freeze enemies whenever they run out, then go all the way down the right hand side of the Spirit Tree for Mind Blast to detonate those frozen enemies (and its upgrade makes it so you get more barriers). Past that, Strength of Spirits is an easy pick-up from Mind Blast, and just about all of the Knight Enchanter abilities are good for continuing to be immortal while under a barrier, so it's just a question of what you want to fill out the rest of your tree with, such as going deeper into Ice or Spirit for added survivability and control, or picking up some fire or storm spells for variety/damage/control.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but NPCs seem to think that my male mage is female. They keep referring to him as "she" and "my lady."

I've put in 20 hours into the game so far and I don't feel like restarting. Does anyone know of a fix?

KoB
May 1, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but NPCs seem to think that my male mage is female. They keep referring to him as "she" and "my lady."

I've put in 20 hours into the game so far and I don't feel like restarting. Does anyone know of a fix?

Not yet.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

enraged_camel posted:

There isn't a fix, and unfortunately it is a really annoying bug.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Nothing like settling in for a planned hours long exploration of a new map area for it to CTD twice and then deciding "gently caress it" and doing something else.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Just fought a lvl 8 Grandad. This game rules.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

I was all hype to play a melee mage because I love vanguard in me3 but hearing that they're all tanky makes me have second thoughts. Maybe I want to be a rift mage instead? They seem like combo lords and that's been the best way to get good damage down so far.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anthrovore posted:

Just fought a lvl 8 Grandad. This game rules.

My favorite enemy name comes during a Fade sequence during a mission involving a new type of "fear demon", which of course look like spiders. Actually I had Iron Bull with me and they pulled a Silent Hill when he said "They look like spiders to you? I'd love it if they looked like spiders compared to what I got." Each one is named something like "Apostates", "Darkness", "Poverty" or "Loneliness", each representing a fear of something.

The best one of course pops up on its own in a corner of the map, called "Ironically, Spiders." I killed it so fast I might've missed it if I hadn't had a lucky pause.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My game crashes all the time. I'm not getting any error messages. It just stops during cutscenes/conversations. My computer isn't frozen, so I just alt-tab and end process even though it doesn't say not responding. It's happened twice now in the same spot so I'm hoping I can actually proceed. Any ideas?

I did get one error message related to direct X and my graphics card driver crashing and then fixing itself. I did the Direct X fix posted in the OP but still had this most recent no error message freeze that I've been getting.

Windows 8.1, GTX 760 with latest drivers.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
Two questions

1) The major story battles have a recommended range for them e.g. 8-11. Do these scale, or is it significantly easier at level 11? I did the ACT 1 one at level 8 and it was a perfect difficulty on hard. However if it was the same mobs with 3 levels on them it would be boring.

2) How much of the story is left after act1?

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010
30 hours in and I'm just getting ready to move on from the Hinterlands :stare: I'll have to return for the level 12 stuff, it's too difficult for me on nightmare @ level 9.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

KittyEmpress posted:

The Dwarven ones wasn't given a reason, but the Mage freedom one, granting the elves an arldom and granting the Dalish land all ended with the Divine being like 'yeah no if you do that we will stage an exalted march on your nation' and the King/Queen pulled out.

Anyways, the Chantry's history with the elves go like this - The Elven slaves joined Andraste in fighting off Tevinter. In exchange, they were granted the Dales as a nation for elves. THe human nations constantly encroached on their lands, tried to convert them, etc. The elves refused conversion and became more and more cold, eventually refusing diplomats from the human nations, because they'd almost always go there just to spread the Chant of Light. Then poo poo gets different depending on the race. Elven records record that the Elves banished all Chantry personnel from the nation, causing the Templars to begin an Exalted March. Human records say that elven raiders attacked a local human residence and were sacrilegious, so they began an Exalted March.

They became slaves again after the Dales fell, and a lot of higher ups in the Chantry believe that elves are ungodly, to the point where the Grand Divine or whatever had all chantry-art depicting Elves burned, and struck the whole 'elves are the reason Andraste won against Tevinter' bits of history from being something real. To the point where you can be killed for the sacrilege of mentioning that information.

Edit: A few priests and 'official' authors of the Chantry have written treatises on how elves are actually more like rabbits than people, and are prey animals to be hunted, because they were not born under the Maker's Light.

The whole Chantry thing is really ingrained in racism against elves and it's dumb and gently caress the chantry.

Stuff like this is why it's so hard to take the whole Templar/Mage thing as a grey/grey conflict. I mean, these people are pretty much enslaved and get brainwashed if they won't agree to perform a super dangerous rite and killed if they try to live outside the Circle, but, hey, some mages a long time ago were mean to the church I guess, so JUSTIFIED.

I mean, I don't want the Chantry to turn out to be moustache twirling evil, lest we fall into the RPG cliche of the church always, always being the real villains, but holy crap.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

UberJumper posted:

Can anyone tell me how do people find 2 handed warriors, and rogues?

I'm playing a 2 handed warrior reaver, and I'm pretty much :black101: through everything. Once you get the class rolling you rip and tear through enemies with flaming claws and bathe in their blood for heals.

KoB
May 1, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

Stuff like this is why it's so hard to take the whole Templar/Mage thing as a grey/grey conflict. I mean, these people are pretty much enslaved and get brainwashed if they won't agree to perform a super dangerous rite and killed if they try to live outside the Circle, but, hey, some mages a long time ago were mean to the church I guess, so JUSTIFIED.

I mean, I don't want the Chantry to turn out to be moustache twirling evil, lest we fall into the RPG cliche of the church always, always being the real villains, but holy crap.

Mages can be extremely powerful and dangerous (tevinter), so while basically enslaving them is pretty lovely they really do require proper teaching from experts like in the Circles.

Thats why a lot of mages are like "Yeah the circle is good, but then the Templars went full nazi"

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Stuck in Crestwood - Trying to get to the Cear Keep to deal with the Dam so I can meet up with the Warden's ally. I am at Crestwood Village after meeting the Mayor and cannot get to the South side of the map. I'm surrounded by mountains with no paths over or under. Am I missing something?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is there ever a point in this game where your character looks anywhere near as badass as the main character in lords of the Fallen?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Is Parry good? From the description it sounds weak.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

KoB posted:

Mages can be extremely powerful and dangerous (tevinter), so while basically enslaving them is pretty lovely they really do require proper teaching from experts like in the Circles.

Thats why a lot of mages are like "Yeah the circle is good, but then the Templars went full nazi"

Like someone said earlier in the thread, the Circle would be good if it was a more serious Hogwarts. As it is though, it's basically hogwarts except run by the Dursleys.

If your main jailers (and yourself, and 90% of the world) are taught from birth that all mages are evil and bad and just a bomb waiting to explode, you're going to be abused.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Noirex posted:

Stuck in Crestwood - Trying to get to the Cear Keep to deal with the Dam so I can meet up with the Warden's ally. I am at Crestwood Village after meeting the Mayor and cannot get to the South side of the map. I'm surrounded by mountains with no paths over or under. Am I missing something?

From the village, go towards the lake. You'll hit the Old Market Road or something like that, take the lower road and youll come right up to the gate.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

SoulChicken posted:

Two questions

1) The major story battles have a recommended range for them e.g. 8-11. Do these scale, or is it significantly easier at level 11? I did the ACT 1 one at level 8 and it was a perfect difficulty on hard. However if it was the same mobs with 3 levels on them it would be boring.

2) How much of the story is left after act1?

They don't scale. If you're doing the Mage or Templar quest at like level 10, it's a loving cakewalk.

poo poo loads. Seriously. You bought a 60+ hour game. You're probably only about 12 hours in after Act 1. The story starts to change rapidly after Act 1 though.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

Like someone said earlier in the thread, the Circle would be good if it was a more serious Hogwarts. As it is though, it's basically hogwarts except run by the Dursleys.

If your main jailers (and yourself, and 90% of the world) are taught from birth that all mages are evil and bad and just a bomb waiting to explode, you're going to be abused.

I heard that allying with the Mages and not sending them to jail leads to a new Circle that is basically a serious Hogwarts. Not sure if that's true or if it fails years later to maintain status quo.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Rincewind posted:

Question re: mages vs. templars: What happens if you don't kill Anders (and stood by him) in DA2? Does it affect Hawke's situation at all? Does Anders actually rear his ugly head? Does everyone hate mages even more?

I'm probably the only one who will be able to answer this question since I made my Hawke as a fanatic with PTSD who is still with Anders. Being really careful about spoilers here: So far she only mentioned leaving him "at home" and how she did this because of how Corypheus affected his mind before. In the Legacy DLC for DA2, if you took Anders with you he went crazy and attacked your party. I haven't finished the Hawke questline yet, but it seems like he probably will not show up here.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Haroshia posted:

I'm playing a 2 handed warrior reaver, and I'm pretty much :black101: through everything. Once you get the class rolling you rip and tear through enemies with flaming claws and bathe in their blood for heals.

Yeah, i just decided to roll one and rushed through the tutorial as fast as possible. It is so much more fun and involved than playing my knight enchanter.

What are good and important skills for a 2 hander?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Ok, Sera's not dismissal-worthy but still not great writing. I did the mage side of the Act 1 main quest and HOLY poo poo I haven't seen a future that bleak in a video game since Chrono Trigger. I'm hoping the Elder One looks like the Dark Souls Old One / Lavos.

black.lion posted:

Is Parry good? From the description it sounds weak.
Guessing you mean the Rogue version since I recall there being one for Warriors. If you are paying enough attention through the terrible camera controls to time it right it absolutely fucks people up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

High-level Knight Enchanter gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEoglL-wPuc

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Does this game actually cost $90usd in australia, with no way of getting it cheaper? That seems to be what origin is trying to charge me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Can you not VPN to God's Country or the UK and buy it?

• Locked thread