Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
If you don't have a PS2 to play it on, it's not a bad way to experience the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BadAstronaut posted:

Seriously though, what does that metal slime do and why does it need a USB slot?
I think it's just to make sure it doesn't move. Or, I guess, to protect a USB slot if you are a filthy slob? It just looks so cute :3:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Funktor posted:

Is the iOS port of DQVIII worth it? I never played the game on PS2.

No voice acting and it's portrait mode only, so decide yourself. If you got even a semi-decent computer just emulate it imo.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I think it's just to make sure it doesn't move. Or, I guess, to protect a USB slot if you are a filthy slob? It just looks so cute :3:

Psh, doesn't move? It's a liquid metal slime! It needs that power to run away!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

BadAstronaut posted:

Seriously though, what does that metal slime do and why does it need a USB slot?

Who gives a gently caress, it's a metal babble on a shiny PS4. It owns.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Me! I... I give that gently caress :smith:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Maybe having it plugged in means that every time you exit a program on the PS4 it plays the running away sound. :buddy:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe having it plugged in means that every time you exit a program on the PS4 it plays the running away sound. :buddy:

I forgot to link this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPI2l9Aha4M

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh my god they said "METARU SLAIME EDISHUN" :3:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

For anyone wondering what the Dragon Quest Heroes thing is mentioned in the commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YebkU-6ILLE

Like Hyrule Warriors, it's a DQ-skinned Dynasty Warriors-style game. I can't imagine we're going to see it in the US though. :(

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

For anyone wondering what the Dragon Quest Heroes thing is mentioned in the commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YebkU-6ILLE

Like Hyrule Warriors, it's a DQ-skinned Dynasty Warriors-style game. I can't imagine we're going to see it in the US though. :(

I can't imagine the game being released outside Japan. The only reason I could see behind it at this point is to advertise for future DQ releases, and poo poo, that ship is probably long since sailed.

I know I sound all doom and gloom on this, just like when we didn't get DQ5 or 6 (look how wrong I was last time) but this time it feels more final. I honestly don't expect to see Dragon Quest again outside of the occasional mobile ports of existing games and possible future fan translations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, the DQ producer was asked about DQ7 3DS again: http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/18/how-13-years-changed-the-language-and-culture-of-dragon-quest-games:

quote:

For a game like Dragon Quest VII for 3DS, Koshimizu and Inoue noted that “the sheer volume is what presents the greatest challenge” to localization. That involves a great level of consistency between the team of translators and coordinators, who need to know the game intimately before attempting a localization.

“Making a huge world feel consistent requires a lot of forethought into naming, characterizations, and other world-building aspects,” Koshimizu and Inoue said.

Fujimoto added that for Dragon Quest VII, the translation process itself would take at least a year to complete. But easing the workload isn’t a simple matter of distributing it among as many translators as possible.

“Each translator has his or her own style, and the more we add, the harder it becomes to maintain consistency on the whole,” he said. “We rely on a small group of highly talented writers to produce a superior translation, which is then handed to the editor, who sees to it the feeling and fun of the story never falters, from start to finish.”

quote:

And for those fans who are dying to know if Dragon Quest VII is coming Westward? “I believe every flagship Dragon Quest title, not just Dragon Quest VII, is worthy of localizing to the best of our current abilities,” said Fujimoto.

“As for Dragon Quest VII, there has not yet been an official decision to localize the title anew, but the warm messages of support we’ve received from fans have been very encouraging. I never want to let our fans down, and I will continue to do my best to bring Dragon Quest games to our audience outside Japan.”

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
"Fujimoto added that for Dragon Quest VII, the translation process itself would take at least a year to complete. But easing the workload isn’t a simple matter of distributing it among as many translators as possible."

This is so dumb. The original's translation on PS1 was certainly good enough. The dialogue is one of the main reasons why it was one of my favorite PS1 RPGs. Other than DQ5, I enjoyed DQ7's story the most in the series.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Didn't they make significant changes to the structure of the remake, though?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

"Fujimoto added that for Dragon Quest VII, the translation process itself would take at least a year to complete. But easing the workload isn’t a simple matter of distributing it among as many translators as possible."

This is so dumb. The original's translation on PS1 was certainly good enough. The dialogue is one of the main reasons why it was one of my favorite PS1 RPGs. Other than DQ5, I enjoyed DQ7's story the most in the series.

Sticking with a PS1-era translation is generally a bad idea even if the DS version added literally no content or script changes at all. In addition to that the 3Ds game does make changes which do require a retranslation, not in the least because you can't be sure of the full extent of those changes until you've actually gone over the script. They can't just stick the PS1 script in the game and call it a day. Even if you could, the new content or changed content would need to be translated which would lead to either a really awkward mishmash of translation styles and tones or a weird attempt to try to make a modern translator translate like a PS1-era translator which is dumb and pointless.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 24, 2014

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I really love SE's contemporary localization style for DQ games, and would be super disappointed to play a hypothetical western release of DQ7 with the old script. I have a feeling that SE wouldn't want to produce that kind of thing anyway.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm really annoyed about the release of that LE ps4. It was originally supposed to come out early next year to coincide with the release of the actual game, but it was pushed up to next month which means I won't be able to afford it, with holiday shopping season abound and all. LEs like that in Japan tend to be the type of thing that you either buy right away or pay out the rear end for. Given that it would already cost more than $500 USD to import that thing day one, it could easily climb to close to/over a grand when supply dwindles.

Maybe they will release a steady supply, but I doubt it.

Edit: That playasia price is pretty funny. I stopped shopping there when I realized they gouge to the extreme. The average 3ds game costs up to 25% cheaper from the estore or other vendors.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 24, 2014

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Over the Thanksgiving break I started playing Dragon Quest VI again, since none of the other 3DS games I have at the moment would keep me occupied for long while I was away from home. I only have the first five characters now but I was curious if there's any info on which characters excel in which areas, like if there's really any reason to use, say, Milly over Ashlynn or Terry over Carver.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Looks like the west gets DQ3 on iOS/Android today: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/04/dragon-quest-iii-today-ios-android-devices-north-america/

I've been sitting on a stack of Google Rewards bucks so I might grab it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

It's out and I bought it immediately. The new translation is fun.

Edit: trying to make my Cleric Sexy but I don't know what that's called in this one. :/

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 4, 2014

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Over the Thanksgiving break I started playing Dragon Quest VI again, since none of the other 3DS games I have at the moment would keep me occupied for long while I was away from home. I only have the first five characters now but I was curious if there's any info on which characters excel in which areas, like if there's really any reason to use, say, Milly over Ashlynn or Terry over Carver.

Milly and Carver are two of the best characters at spell casting and physical attacks respectively. There is a reason to use Ashlynn, but she's so frail that Milly will be the better choice in most cases. You eventually get the Wagon though, so it's not a bad idea to keep a party of 8 or so usable so you can bring them in if you start to run low on resources.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Looks like the west gets DQ3 on iOS/Android today: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/04/dragon-quest-iii-today-ios-android-devices-north-america/

I've been sitting on a stack of Google Rewards bucks so I might grab it.

Looks like the SFC's graphics. Is it basically that game with a different translation (ie: the newer spell names) or have they changed other stuff in it?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Where is my bad rear end intro in the volcano? :qq:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

^^^What changed from the intro?

Anyway,this news makes me happy. I think I will buy. Good times!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
You know how you get a badass intro in DQIII where your dad travels the world and there's this battle with awesome animation in a volcano? I haven't seen it yet. :(

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Yeah I think this one is modeled after the SNES version. I wonder if it has Tiny Medals?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I heard the iOS and Android versions don't have the monster animations, which is really lame. DQVI was the first to use them, and they were pretty basic in it, but when they remade III on the SNES they looked incredible. They even managed to keep them for the GBC version.

The animations on the PS1 and DS games are even better, but it's still amazing what they managed on the SNES.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

That loving Sned posted:

I heard the iOS and Android versions don't have the monster animations, which is really lame. DQVI was the first to use them, and they were pretty basic in it, but when they remade III on the SNES they looked incredible. They even managed to keep them for the GBC version.

The animations on the PS1 and DS games are even better, but it's still amazing what they managed on the SNES.

I still consider the Famicom (now translated) version of DQ/W III to be the definitive one, even though the Game Boy Colour version has more content. It's not bad at all, but the limitation of the GBC, including very much the tiny screen, make it look rather shite to me despite playing fine and having more content than any version so far (with the possible exception of this one).

The Famicom version is just impressive, period.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Shoehorning DW3 text into GBC was a pretty terrible ordeal.
18 characters x 2 lines of text display?
To save room I made Enix add stuff to the English font table: I had them turn letters with apostrophes into one character (like "'t" "'s" "'v" "'r"), so I could save one character on words like "don't" (four characters instead of five).

They also wouldn't increase the text limit for item names, so I had to have them turn all weapon names into "six letters + icon."
I had to fight George the localization producer like a banshee to get that change pushed through.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Doug Dinsdale posted:

They also wouldn't increase the text limit for item names, so I had to have them turn all weapon names into "six letters + icon."
I had to fight George the localization producer like a banshee to get that change pushed through.
That worked out really well IMO. You did good on that.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Doug Dinsdale posted:

To save room I made Enix add stuff to the English font table: I had them turn letters with apostrophes into one character (like "'t" "'s" "'v" "'r"), so I could save one character on words like "don't" (four characters instead of five).

One of the fan translations of Final Fantasy III grouped thinner letters together, like it and il in Mithril, which is another way of making it possible to fit more text on-screen and on the cartridge.

Enix included an entire second set of monster medals in the GBC version with Dragon Quest IV monsters for some reason, which went completely unused, so it's a shame you couldn't have used that cartridge data for more text.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

For those of us coming from Dinsdale's great GBC translation, the "Sexy" personality is "Vamp," "Quick" is "Daredevil," "Sharp" is "Genius" and "Valiant" is "Paragon." I figured those might be popular personalities.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
You pretty much want everyone Sexy or Lewd anyway, except maybe a Soldier/Fighter (who uses Soldiers though?). Amazon/Valiant are useful for those. The rest mostly suck.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Sexy is female only unless they changed that for the iOs port.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Sexy is female only unless they changed that for the iOs port.

Yeah, the male equivalent is Lewd, although it's not quite as good.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Wow dude.
I dumped the script from the ROM and I ran into the apostrophe thing and I remember it very clearly. You did some wizardry on that game, kudos to you. I remember finding the entire dirty words list (stuff it wouldn't let you name your character) in one chunk and got a good chortle out of that.

Edit: Bought DQ3 Android the second I saw it was available. Really looking forward to playing it tonight - thinking of going with hero/fighter/cleric/goofoff(later sage asap) or whatever the classes are called now, but we'll see.

xov fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 4, 2014

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
How do you figure out your personality? Forgot. The queen told me that I'm an incredible person, like usual. I never even knew personality types were possible or mattered.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Himuro posted:

How do you figure out your personality? Forgot. The queen told me that I'm an incredible person, like usual. I never even knew personality types were possible or mattered.

It's based on the questions you answer at the very beginning of the game. I think the formula to determine your personality type may be found on GameFAQs, if the questions ported over the same.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm a paragon/girl. I never found personality important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Fenrir posted:

(who uses Soldiers though?)

Um, me? I prefer them over Fighters. Speed is all well and good, but fighters are squishy, don't do that much more damage, and can't use the sweet-as-honey gear that can nuke a whole group of enemies for free.