Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The first 2/3rds of it was garbage, but the Varrick and Bolin parts were great. They should have just done the whole episode like that.

"It's just a mover, don't overthink it!" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
have we really sunk this low? a compilation episode? *sigh*

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

PaulDirac posted:

have we really sunk this low? a compilation episode? *sigh*
http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/103173899927/a-few-preemptive-words-about-episode-408

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
So Steve Blum voiced both those dudes? wth

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That was one of the best clip shows ever made. Screw Nick, this show deserves better. But at least we got an entertaining clip show.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

mllaneza posted:

That was one of the best clip shows ever made. Screw Nick, this show deserves better. But at least we got an entertaining clip show.

Well, maybe if Bryan and Mike hadn't spent the first 26 episodes of LoK making a terrible show, perhaps they wouldn't have gotten their budget and airtime axed for the latter 26. :shrug:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I like that apparently the show has decided it was the fault of the Equalists that non-benders were being held down by benders.

Also I question Mako's 'Korra taught me to be an unselfish, better person'

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I skipped through the first two segments, but the Varrick narrated stuff was great, much more in line with The Ember Island Players from AtLA.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Kojiro posted:

Hi, they literally couldn't. Nick commissioned the amount of episodes they commissioned, then cut the budget, they can't not turn the full amount while still fulfilling their contract. It's one single clips episode, suck it up and deal.

I don't get how this works. Nick commissions an amount of episodes for $. Nick slashes $, which somehow doesn't violate the commission? But they're still legally obligated to make 13 episodes? Nick could, if they wanted to, slash the budget to $0 and leave them up poo poo creek and there's nothing they could do about it?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Jesto posted:

I don't get how this works. Nick commissions an amount of episodes for $. Nick slashes $, which somehow doesn't violate the commission? But they're still legally obligated to make 13 episodes? Nick could, if they wanted to, slash the budget to $0 and leave them up poo poo creek and there's nothing they could do about it?

This just about sums it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsW9MlYu31g

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
When does the preview for next week usually show up?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Stallion Cabana posted:

I like that apparently the show has decided it was the fault of the Equalists that non-benders were being held down by benders.

:freep:

"Why do you keep making me hit you?!"

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

thx for sharing that, didn't know. With that in mind im glad they made this decision.

P.S. FUUUU nickelodeon

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

VanSandman posted:

Saturday morning usually.

ETA: Rereading that Tumblr post something occurred to me. How is Nick doling out funds? From the way Bryan put it it was always going to be episode 8 that suffered: he mentions possibly having to let people go five weeks early which coincides with episode 8 in a thirteen-episode series. Does Nick fund the show on an episode-by-episode basis?

Sato fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 22, 2014

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Stallion Cabana posted:

The show "decided" this when the first season, from the first episode, consistently showed masked terrorists using benders as scapegoats for economic inequality, in a calculated attempt to provoke actual suspicion of non-benders through deceit. So, yeah, the Equalists did cause that. Without them, it was simply a society where the poor were held down by the rich - a problem the Equalists not only did not recognize, but drew attention away from.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
I was skimming over the notes of Bryan's tumblr post and saw this.

http://badguyofficial.tumblr.com/post/103251422262/an-open-letter-to-brian-konietzko-and-the-rest-of

:stare: Someone is upset.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Jesto posted:

http://badguyofficial.tumblr.com/post/103251422262/an-open-letter-to-brian-konietzko-and-the-rest-of

I can't believe I read that entire thing. Apparently Varrick is boring, only good for a cheap laugh, and horrible as a villain. He did like Kai though so the show wasn't totally worthless. :stare:

Also, I have problems with some of the writing myself, but someone who emphasizes his points with ALL CAPS shouldn't be throwing stones at glass houses.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jesto posted:

loving :laffo:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Well, maybe if Bryan and Mike hadn't spent the first 26 episodes of LoK making a terrible show, perhaps they wouldn't have gotten their budget and airtime axed for the latter 26. :shrug:

The first season of Korra was so well recieved it got them greenlit for three additional seasons. They literally did the exact opposite of what you said with the first season and got a strong enough reception it got them additional episodes of the show. It wasn't 100% positive but the first season wasn't this universally reviled thing.

The reason behind the show's problems are multifold. Season 2 was genuinely not very good and saw a declining viewership. Beyond that though the viewership also wasn't the demographic Nick wanted, which was (through their own admission) something that could replace Spongebob Squarepants as an achor show on the network, something Korra couldn't have been even if it was the best show on television. (Spongebob excels in simple repeatable episodes with unchanging characters for easy reruns and toy sales. Part of the problem even with the original Avatar is that it didn't do well in those areas. Recall the story the crew mentioned before about having to ask Nick to *run episodes in order* when doing reruns.) That isn't to say that TLA and Korra don't have long-term sales potential or marketing potential. It is just that what they do have tends to run counter to Nick's primary kid-oriented marketing mindset.

Season 3's utter clustfuck of a release didn't help anything. Even an improvement of the writing quality of the show wouldn't help much when it was shoved on the air without any warning and rushed through. There wasn't even a meaningful chance for the show to recover from its Season 2 slump when it was started and finished in like a month's time. It's easy to blame that entirely on Season 2 but what we've heard about the behind-the-scenes stuff is that it was as much Nick realizing they weren't getting the marketing machine they wanted.

Going "Well, you should have made a better show, losers" is silly. Even if Season 2 hadn't been kinda lovely, odds are pretty good Nick was going to gently caress it up anyway because Korra wasn't the show Nick wanted.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 22, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

hiddenriverninja posted:

With how frank the creators are being about Nick, I don't think we'll ever get another iteration of Avatar in our lifetime for all of your lifetimes :(
Amazing.

VanSandman posted:

The preview for next week should just be the full episode.

Thanks nick. Thnick.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

ImpAtom posted:

Beyond that though the viewership also wasn't the demographic Nick wanted, which was (through their own admission) something that could replace Spongebob Squarepants as an achor show on the network, something Korra couldn't have been even if it was the best show on television.

Excuse me? They wanted a plot driven, episodic series to replace a syndicated juggernaut?

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
I heard they had this episode basically because Nick cut their funding? If that is true then loving good job for the make up in the last third.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jesto posted:

If I wanted lovely, drooling rageposts, I'd read this thread, thanks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheModernAmerican posted:

Excuse me? They wanted a plot driven, episodic series to replace a syndicated juggernaut?

Yeah, they had an interview where they were like "we're confident that Korra can become a show with as much marketing potential as Spongebob" which was ridiculous even when Korra had a much higher viewership. Part of their original request was the shorter seasons with a potential to extend them basically to infinity if the show kept performing.

It's honestly kind of bewildering that Korra got greenlit in the first place. The original Avatar was basically a big confusing mess for Nick. They had trouble selling toys (and didn't even make toys of some characters. They literally never made a Katara action figure! In comparison they DID make figures of Jet and Bumi.) They, as mentioned, needed to have it explained to them that TLA would do better in reruns if they showed episodes in order instead of showing random episodes. Korra seems to have been the product of Nick hoping fan goodwill would somehow transform into a marketing juggernaut and it didn't happen.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
The show would probably do better housed on cartoon network or something.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nutranurse posted:

The show would probably do better housed on cartoon network or something.

If they put it on Cartoon Network, the network execs would insist that one of the characters have a Spirit Bunny sidekick and that airbenders could bend farts or something.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Toshimo posted:

If they put it on Cartoon Network, the network execs would insist that one of the characters have a Spirit Bunny sidekick and that airbenders could bend farts or something.

You're not saying anything that would make me hate the show. :colbert:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Wow, 2/3rds an episode of hot garbage. I understand why they had to do it, but drat. They really focused on the worst aspects with Mako and Korra's portions. Watching Mako's, all I could think as Wu pointed out Mako's fidelity issues was "I guess at least this is somewhat self-aware, like a really lovely version of Ember Island Players."

Nearly redeeming part was, of course, Varick's tale. I don't know what I enjoyed more, the Evil Square conference call or Bolin's head clumsily superimposed over MegaKorra's.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nutranurse posted:

You're not saying anything that would make me hate the show. :colbert:

The joke is that both of those things already exist in the show.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The joke is that both of those things already exist in the show.

Yeah, but I was imagining that on CN those features would be more pronounced somehow. There is a regrettable dearth of fartbending going on at Nick.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

nutranurse posted:

Yeah, but I was imagining that on CN those features would be more pronounced somehow. There is a regrettable dearth of fartbending going on at Nick.

No, because fartbending involves Meelo and Meelo has been run into the loving ground at this point.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, they had an interview where they were like "we're confident that Korra can become a show with as much marketing potential as Spongebob" which was ridiculous even when Korra had a much higher viewership. Part of their original request was the shorter seasons with a potential to extend them basically to infinity if the show kept performing.

It's honestly kind of bewildering that Korra got greenlit in the first place. The original Avatar was basically a big confusing mess for Nick. They had trouble selling toys (and didn't even make toys of some characters. They literally never made a Katara action figure! In comparison they DID make figures of Jet and Bumi.) They, as mentioned, needed to have it explained to them that TLA would do better in reruns if they showed episodes in order instead of showing random episodes. Korra seems to have been the product of Nick hoping fan goodwill would somehow transform into a marketing juggernaut and it didn't happen.
Basically Nick did to Korra what Cartoon Network did to Young Justice and Green Lantern TAS where they got pissed that they didn't get the demo they wanted, and toys weren't selling like they wanted (though to be fair Green Lantern suffered from no toy company wanting to make toys for the franchise since they got burned by that lovely movie)

And like Nick, its easier to shovel out cheap Canadian cartoons that kids will watch instead of shows with an overarcing plot and character development... maybe Jeph Loeb was right :negative:

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I actually kinda liked the Mako overview. The chibis ripping on him for being a terrible boyfriend were cute and grandma was hilarious.

*Mako kisses Korra while he's dating Asami*
:j: "Naughty Mako! You take after your grandfather!" :mad:
*Korra forgets about breakup and kisses Mako right after he hooked up with Asami again*
:v: "WHOA WHOA WHOA So you were back with Asami but then Korra came back and thought you guys were still together and you didn't tell her you weren't?"
:j: "Just like your grandfather!" :mad:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Basically Nick did to Korra what Cartoon Network did to Young Justice and Green Lantern TAS where they got pissed that they didn't get the demo they wanted, and toys weren't selling like they wanted (though to be fair Green Lantern suffered from no toy company wanting to make toys for the franchise since they got burned by that lovely movie)

And like Nick, its easier to shovel out cheap Canadian cartoons that kids will watch instead of shows with an overarcing plot and character development... maybe Jeph Loeb was right :negative:

Sooner or later there's going to be a western animated TV show/movie that doesn't need to sell toys in Walmart to be considered a success, right?

...right?

:smith:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jesto posted:

"I'm the better class of critic the world deserves."

Somebody wanted that to be their introduction.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm going to take the controversial stand that the Mako portion of the clip show was hilarious and loving on-point.

They roasted him for all the dumb stupid relationship stuff you guys have been bitching about since day 1 and basically admitted how loving terrible it was.

There's just no pleasing you fuckers.

Also, grandma is awesome.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I liked the whole episode. :shobon:

TVIV makes me wonder if I'm really easy to please or if goons are just the most capricious motherfuckers alive.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
"I didn't watch it, but it sucked. gently caress Nickelodeon." - Actual content from this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nutranurse posted:

I liked the whole episode. :shobon:

Because it was all gold. Especially the parts you personally liked best,

• Locked thread