Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Somebody get the mayor of Boston on the line so he can publicly apologize for the marathon bombings. Also the collective people of Chechnya and anyone living in the Cambridge area or white phosphorous is back on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

syscall girl posted:

Somebody get the mayor of Boston on the line so he can publicly apologize for the marathon bombings. Also the collective people of Chechnya and anyone living in the Cambridge area or white phosphorous is back on the table.
"Oh, you apologized for something you had no control over. Thanks. By the way we're gonna demolish a few more houses and arrest some people who didn't have anything to do with it."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

So does Abbas. So has Hamas. And this is recent, you don't seem to recall how things were when Arafat was still alive, cracking down on Hamas, and getting his cops killed for the trouble.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

down with slavery posted:

Absolutely not. Like you said, a dominant power NEVER gives it up(your words, not mine). So why would we? We could have just colonized the entire country. Maybe bulldoze a few homes and start sending settlers. I mean, we never know if those pesky japs are going to fight back. Better to be sure, right?
We've had military forces stationed on their soil, through the present day, so we're pretty much batting 1.000 in terms of maintaining a Japanese government that doesn't threaten American interests. I don't know why you keep harping on this; if you're arguing against a country converting a hostile state run by fanatics to one harmonized to their interests & security through a devastating military campaign and extended occupation, Japan is the worst possible example to bring up. I don't even think it's relevant to the I/P situation.

syscall girl posted:

On the other side of the coin, we invaded Afghanistan for refusing to hand over people we suspected of involvement with 9/11.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

On the other side of the coin, we invaded Afghanistan for refusing to hand over people we suspected of involvement with 9/11.

That was also wrong and bad. Wasn't even the right country. Total failure. Good analogy, mouth-breather.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't know why you keep harping on this

Because you unironically posted this:

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're asking one side to back off from a position of absolute dominance and just accept the fact that it will most likely result in the deaths of more of their citizens. No matter how "moral" it may be, it isn't something that any state would do.

Why is my "most likely" any less valid than yours?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

syscall girl posted:

That was also wrong and bad. Wasn't even the right country.

:confused: So, Bin Laden and the senior AQ leadership weren't in Afghanistan in 2001?

Because you unironically posted this:

Why is my "most likely" any less valid than yours?
I seriously don't get where you're going with this.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 22, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

:confused: So, Bin Laden and the senior AQ leadership weren't in Afghanistan in 2001?

Do you have proof that they were? Either way it was a failure which a lot of Americans (myself included) didn't support and led to a lot of needless deaths with terrible consequences all around. Unless you believe Bush was spreading democracy instead of mindless vengeance.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Clearly what Israel needs to do is to crack down harder on Palestinians until Fatah and Hamas are deposed and ISIS and Al Qaeda chapters are in control everywhere. Verily, there lies a path for peace for plucky little Israel.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Senior Israeli officials... quite trustworthy lol

Genocide: "I'm not happy about it, but I can live with it"

quote:

But while it has achieved works of profound good, it has also threatened its neutrality, the report charges. “UNRWA has gradually adopted a distinctively political viewpoint that favors the Palestinian and Arab narrative of events in the Middle East,” it states. “In particular, it seems to favor the strain of Palestinian political thought espoused by those who are intent on a ‘return’ to the land that is now Israel,” which, the report says, “encouraged Palestinians who favor re-fighting long-lost wars.”

It’s still unclear how, exactly, rockets appeared inside the agency’s schools. Gunness told The Post that the schools were closed for the summer, and he called the discovery “unprecedented,” saying, “We’re in new territory here.”

You're shifting your goal posts. You asked for a citation for UN schools being used for conflict purposes. I provided it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

syscall girl posted:

Palestine's leadership and citizenry don't owe any apologies for the acts of a couple murderers, who are now dead.
Again, you can't extract the event from the context. If the U.S. told Canada, "Hey, we can't seem to stop these Québécois separatists who keep staging raids across the border from their bases in Maine. Your police killed this bunch, so I don't really see what else we can do." no one would consider that acceptable. Politically motivated violence carries a different weight from a random homicide. I don't see a Shin Bet/Palestinian Security Forces joint task force to hunt down militants inside Palestinian territory to be a thing that would ever be considered acceptable.

syscall girl posted:

Do you have proof that they were?
I don't even know how to begin to respond to this.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Clearly what Israel needs to do is to crack down harder on Palestinians until Fatah and Hamas are deposed and ISIS and Al Qaeda chapters are in control everywhere. Verily, there lies a path for peace for plucky little Israel.
I don't think Israel has an endgame. (I don't think any of the Palestinian factions do either.) They're running the same "attack until the enemy agrees to peace on your terms" plan that worked for them in '67 and '73, but the Palestinians are never going to agree to peace on any terms Israel would consider favorable.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 22, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't think Israel has an endgame. (I don't think any of the Palestinian factions do either.) They're running the same "attack until the enemy agrees to peace on your terms" plan that worked for them in '67 and '73, but the Palestinians are never going to agree to peace on any terms Israel would consider favorable.

:what: It was Sadat who played that game in '73 and won. And he won because he coupled the willingness to do war with a commitment to peace, both before and after. Israel has had to be dragged kicking and screaming into every single peace initiative. The Oslo stuff only came up after being pushed into Madrid in 1991, and even that was through the Oslo channel Arafat had already opened in 1979.

Palestinians already agree to peace on terms that Israel would consider favorable if it didn't have US diplomatic and military backing making the price of the status quo somewhat lower than actually battling the settler movement. It's removing that which will, much like it did in '56, '79 and '91, push them into pragmatism. Either that or getting more soldiers killed. I hope it's not the latter, my brother is being drafted in two years.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

Politically motivated violence carries a different weight from a random homicide.

And how do you know that was politically motivated? What politics was it furthering? Who deserves to be punished for it now that the perpetrators are dead?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dead Reckoning posted:

Again, you can't extract the event from the context. If the U.S. told Canada, "Hey, we can't seem to stop these Québécois separatists who keep staging raids across the border from their bases in Maine. Your police killed this bunch, so I don't really see what else we can do." no one would consider that acceptable. Politically motivated violence carries a different weight from a random homicide. I don't see a Shin Bet/Palestinian Security Forces joint task force to hunt down militants inside Palestinian territory to be a thing that would ever be considered acceptable.

I don't even know how to begin to respond to this.

I'd agree, there really isn't an endgame other than "Force Hamas to unconditionally recognize Israel, on Israel's terms, while handing over the most militant leadership and ruling Gaza as part of a three-state solution." Until that occurs, I expect settlement policies to continue if not speed up, with attacks on Jewish religious targets meant to incite sectarian conflict.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:what: It was Sadat who played that game in '73 and won. And he won because he coupled the willingness to do war with a commitment to peace, both before and after. Israel has had to be dragged kicking and screaming into every single peace initiative. The Oslo stuff only came up after being pushed into Madrid in 1991, and even that was through the Oslo channel Arafat had already opened in 1979.

Palestinians already agree to peace on terms that Israel would consider favorable if it didn't have US diplomatic and military backing making the price of the status quo somewhat lower than actually battling the settler movement. It's removing that which will, much like it did in '56, '79 and '91, push them into pragmatism. Either that or getting more soldiers killed. I hope it's not the latter, my brother is being drafted in two years.

Sadat made peace, and died for it. Who in the Palestinian leadership is willing to die a traitor for the cause of peace?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Sadat made peace, and died for it. Who in the Palestinian leadership is willing to die a traitor for the cause of peace?

Yeah, those darn right-wing Palestinian fanatics, always killing advocates for peace like Yitzhak Rabin and wait, what?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Yeah, those darn right-wing Palestinian fanatics, always killing advocates for peace like Yitzhak Rabin and wait, what?

That's my point. Whoever in the Palestinian leadership is able to broker a real peace will die a traitor in the eyes of their militants. So, who in Hamas is willing to die a traitor for the cause of peace?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Whoever in the Palestinian leadership is able to broker a real peace will die a traitor in the eyes of their militants.

Mahmoud "Abu Mazen" Abbas, you moron. I'm surprised he has yet to be assassinated, but that day is nigh. The only thing keeping him safe is just how much Israel is loving him over for his trouble.

Although, again, Israel didn't need that to become a viable state at all. Like, who in Hagganah called Ben Gurion a traitor?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

syscall girl posted:

That was also wrong and bad. Wasn't even the right country. Total failure. Good analogy, mouth-breather.

No it was perfectly fine. And they did in fact have Bin Ladin, it was just that our idiots in charge of America forgot about Afghanistan and went to Iraq.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Crowsbeak posted:

No it was perfectly fine. And they did in fact have Bin Ladin, it was just that our idiots in charge of America forgot about Afghanistan and went to Iraq.

It's okay to invade a country based on the word of known liars resulting in thousands of deaths to not find someone accused of a crime?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

My Imaginary GF posted:

I would not be happy, however, it is a result I could live with, and one which would not be as detrimental to American interests were the other result to occur.

I sort of disagree. I'm not convinced Israel's continued existence is all that useful to us these days, and I'm pretty sure our support of them is actively counterproductive given that it annoys bigger countries with more economic weight and geopolitical influence.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're right. The States would be obligated to assert its dominance by bombing the poo poo out of Quebec, killing thousands of citizens, moving their own citizens in instead, and instituting a blockade.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

syscall girl posted:

It's okay to invade a country based on the word of known liars resulting in thousands of deaths to not find someone accused of a crime?

We did, Bin Ladin is now dead. Also we had a video that showed him admitting to the act.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Crowsbeak posted:

We did, Bin Ladin is now dead. Also we had a video that showed him admitting to the act.

I'm not making the case that bin Laden didn't orchestrate 9/11 but people admit to things they haven't done all the time for attention or cachet (and that's when they aren't under duress.) And he certainly was not extra-judicially murdered in Afghanistan, nor did the Afghan war affect that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I would just like to point out that MIGF is a fantasist and religious nutjob who believes the Torah contains the supreme moral law for all people and that he could bring down the Chicago machine, but only at the cost of his own life.

So, pretty bog standard Israel apologist I guess

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

You're dropping a lot of hints here, if you have your own theory it would be nice if you could stop dancing around and just come out and say it. If not bin Laden and al Qaeda, who did 9/11? Did someone else do 9/11?

syscall girl posted:

Palestine's leadership and citizenry don't owe any apologies for the acts of a couple murderers, who are now dead.

So are you admitting the killings in the synagogue were brutal murders of innocent people? Well, that's a start even if it's just one poster and it's twenty pages in and it's a grudging admission.

SedanChair posted:

I would just like to point out that MIGF is a fantasist and religious nutjob who believes the Torah contains the supreme moral law for all people and that he could bring down the Chicago machine, but only at the cost of his own life.

Do you have any reason to believe that MIGF is Jewish, SedanChair? Other than your well-documented tendency to see agents of the Zionist conspiracy in every shadow?

Not that there's anything wrong with him being Jewish, if he is. At least, I don't think so. Do you have a problem with that S.C? I ask because you seem to find the religious beliefs you ascribe to MIGF particularly objectionable.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 22, 2014

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

SedanChair posted:

I think you mean troll gimmick account whose continued posting is baffling

challenge: Find a thread with MIGF posts that are not laughably derailed
challenge: Find correlation that MIGF's claims of being an "insider" in any field is at all legitimate

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

Do you have any reason to believe that MIGF is Jewish, SedanChair? Other than your well-documented tendency to see agents of the Zionist conspiracy in every shadow?

Not that there's anything wrong with him being Jewish, if he is. At least, I don't think so. Do you have a problem with that S.C? I ask because you seem to find the religious beliefs you ascribe to MIGF particularly objectionable.

MIGF has been raving about the supremacy of Jewish law in another thread for days. Still I didn't assume he's Jewish; nor did I say anything about his being Jewish, only that he is a religious nutjob which he definitely is. D- see me after class

e: and any person who claims religion and the same appalling beliefs MIGF does is by definition perverse and highly objectionable; you're just a runaway-rear end wimp though

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 22, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

You're dropping a lot of hints here, if you have your own theory it would be nice if you could stop dancing around and just come out and say it. If not bin Laden and al Qaeda, who did 9/11? Did someone else do 9/11?

Pretty sure Osama did 9/11. I'm not a truther or anything like that. I'm saying that the invasion of Afghanistan was a pitiful flailing attempt to appease the frothing masses. And Israel does worse to Palestinians over poorly aimed bottle rockets launched by literal angry children.

quote:

So are you admitting the killings in the synagogue were brutal murders of innocent people? Well, that's a start even if it's just one poster and it's twenty pages in and it's a grudging admission.

It's not a 'grudging admission'. Murder is wrong and the people who did those murders were wrong to do it. Not only that but they are providing the pittance of fuel the IDF needs to murder and displace civilians in a manner that would make Hammurabi blush.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

MIGF has been raving about the supremacy of Jewish law in another thread for days. Still I didn't assume he's Jewish; nor did I say anything about his being Jewish, only that he is a religious nutjob which he definitely is. D- see me after class

e: and any person who claims religion and the same appalling beliefs MIGF does is by definition perverse and highly objectionable; you're just a runaway-rear end wimp though

But doesn't any religious believer think that their faith's holy scriptures contain the supreme moral law? :shrug:

I'm sure that virtually every Muslim in the world would state that they believe the Qu'ran contains the supreme moral law. Do you think all Muslims are religious nutjobs S.C? Or just religious people who believe in the supreme moral authority of the Torah? Because I find either of those beliefs to be quite troubling.

syscall girl posted:

It's not a 'grudging admission'. Murder is wrong and the people who did those murders were wrong to do it. Not only that but they are providing the pittance of fuel the IDF needs to murder and displace civilians in a manner that would make Hammurabi blush.

It's striking how similar this is to hearing some gun nut whine about the fatalities from the latest mass shooting because he thinks it means politicians will try to take some of his guns away. To him the murders are essentially background noise, what matters is his pet cause.

You should probably consult a dictionary for the meaning of the word grudging before making that claim, since you don't seem to be using it correctly.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dead Reckoning posted:

If Israel has to keep Palestine in crushing poverty in order to limit the Palestinians' options to violence, they're going to need a really good reason to back off from their position of military dominance.
You used the wrong preposition here, fixed it for you.

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're shifting your goal posts. You asked for a citation for UN schools being used for conflict purposes. I provided it.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1173808/elliot-rodger-manifesto.txt

You asked for a citation for women being cruel to Elliot Rodger and deserving death. I provided it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Wait a minute, did MIGF shift the discussion again to put the onus on the Palestinians and pretend like their resistance to Israeli occupation and aggression is the cause for said occupation and aggression?

My Ahistorical Girlfriend

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

The Insect Court posted:

It's striking how similar this is to hearing some gun nut whine about the fatalities from the latest mass shooting because he thinks it means politicians will try to take some of his guns away. To him the murders are essentially background noise, what matters is his pet cause.

You should probably consult a dictionary for the meaning of the word grudging before making that claim, since you don't seem to be using it correctly.

This analogy would work if the response to shootings were not gun control, but the persecution of innocent gun owners as a reprisal for gun crimes. The "pet cause" here is human rights.

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

My Imaginary GF posted:

UN admitted that rockets have been stored in its facilities, which were then turned over to Hamas. What do you do when your policy is "No site is off limits if used to launch an attack on a foreign nation"? You respond and eliminate the target.

I hate giving MIGF any attention, but this is a common argument. Of course, one must carefully omit the fact that these schools where rockets were found were closed and vacant and that there is absolutely no evidence that the schools, shelters or hospitals that Israel bombed were being used militarily when they were attacked. This is hardly surprising, since attacking civilian infrastructure as a form of collective punishment is Israeli policy(the Dahiya Doctrine). Moreover, in previous conflicts, Israel has tried to justify its illegal and deadly attacks on civilians with the same false excuse.

From Amnesty International's report on Cast Lead

quote:

In the cases investigated by Amnesty International of civilians killed in Israeli attacks, the deaths could not be explained as resulting from the presence of fighters shielding among civilians, as the Israel army generally contends. In all of the cases investigated by Amnesty International of families killed when their homes were bombed from the air by Israeli forces, for example, none of the houses struck was being used by armed groups for military activities. Similarly, in the cases of precision missiles or tank shells which killed civilians in their homes, no fighters were present in the houses that were struck and Amnesty International delegates found no indication that there had been any armed confrontations or other military activity in the immediate vicinity at the time of the attack."

I repeat: attacking civilian targets in order to punish the community as a whole and to break the Palestinians' spirit is Israeli policy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FreshlyShaven posted:

I repeat: attacking civilian targets in order to punish the community as a whole and to break the Palestinians' spirit is expressed, popular Israeli policy.

Hope you don't mind me fixing that for you.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

eSports Chaebol posted:

This analogy would work if the response to shootings were not gun control, but the persecution of innocent gun owners as a reprisal for gun crimes. The "pet cause" here is human rights.

It's only human rights if you consider Arabs to be humans, which the likes of TIC and MIGF assuredly do not.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

But doesn't any religious believer think that their faith's holy scriptures contain the supreme moral law? :shrug:

I'm sure that virtually every Muslim in the world would state that they believe the Qu'ran contains the supreme moral law. Do you think all Muslims are religious nutjobs S.C? Or just religious people who believe in the supreme moral authority of the Torah? Because I find either of those beliefs to be quite troubling.

Nobody cares about what you find troubling, moral cripple.

If you're going to shrug, shrug at your own bad faith and idiocy. Read MIGF's posts instead of asking me, idiot. Were "all Muslims" posting in this thread or was MIGF? Then why on earth would I talk about them? Typical Muslim-baiter, expecting people to just take potshots at Muslims for no reason.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

The Insect Court posted:

Nah

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

syscall girl posted:

Pretty sure Osama did 9/11. I'm not a truther or anything like that. I'm saying that the invasion of Afghanistan was a pitiful flailing attempt to appease the frothing masses. And Israel does worse to Palestinians over poorly aimed bottle rockets launched by literal angry children.

Yeah loving bottle rockets is a big difference from, highjacking planes and ramming them into major buildings killing 3000 people in the process. You know if some Palestinian group did what Al Quadia did on 9'11 and the PLO or Hamas refused to hand over the perpetrators I would say Israel would be justified.

"ma'an posted:

Palestinian woman run over by Israeli near Shufat
Published yesterday (updated) 22/11/2014 09:44
(MaanImages/file)
JERUSALEM (Ma'an) -- A Palestinian was run over by a Jewish settler near the East Jerusalem neighborhood of Shufat while she was walking to prayers at a local mosque on Friday, her family told Ma'an.

Suzanne al-Kurd, 29, was struck by a car driven by an Israeli individual and left with bruises all over her legs as she walked in front of the Shufat Mosque, her mother said.

The vehicle reportedly accelerated suddenly as al-Kurd crossed the street and hit her directly before speeding off, leaving her lying on the street in pain.

Palestinian passersby who were nearby at the time of the incident rushed to her aid after the attack, her mother said, adding that she had been taken to the hospital where she was being treated for bruises and pain in her legs, waist, and arms as well as dizziness and headache.

Her mother said her daughter recognized the driver of the vehicle as a Jewish settler because he was wearing a kippah, a skullcap often worn by religious Jews.

"The incident was carried out in a deliberate manner because he ran her over and fled at high speed, all because my daughter was wearing an abaya and hijab," she said, referring to clothes often worn by religious Muslim women.

The incident comes in the wake of a serious of anti-Palestinian hate crimes across Jerusalem, in the West Bank, and inside Israel, with at least four different attacks by Israelis reported overnight.

Many Palestinian taxi drivers have reportedly stopped working in Jerusalem amid an upswing in attacks that began over early summer and has intensified in recent weeks.

The attacks have come amid rising tensions in the city after a series of individual Palestinian attacks on Israelis in occupied East Jerusalem.

These attacks increased during an Israeli offensive on Gaza that left nearly 2,200 dead and an upswing in Israeli military violence across Jerusalem and the West Bank that has left almost 50 dead so far this year, and thousands more in prison.

I assume Israel will bulldoze this settlers home won't they?

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 22, 2014

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Can we institute a rule wherein one decent article pertinent to the CURRENT crisis/spate of violence must be posted per page? We all were paying attention during Cast Lead, Pillar of Defense, and Operation Protective Edge. We all know what happened. The vast majority of this thread is personal insults, slap fights, and debating over pre-1948 history. I just want a place to get informed about what may well end up becoming (or indeed, already is) the Third Intifidah. Can we do something about that?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/israeli-and-palestinian-leaders-know-what-they-need-to-do-to-stop-a-third-intifada/2014/11/19/20d12a30-7026-11e4-ad12-3734c461eab6_story.html posted:

Mr. Netanyahu, the prime minister, promised last week not to change the status quo at the holy sites. But the Israeli leader, who some believe is preparing for an early election, is also exploiting the crisis for political ends. Though investigators found that the synagogue attackers were not linked to any group, Mr. Netanyahu concentrated his rhetorical fire on Mr. Abbas. On Monday he ordered the family homes of the attackers demolished — a much-criticized punishment that Israel employed during the previous uprisings. He asked all Israeli parties to join in a unity government, a measure the country has previously embraced only in wartime.

The good news is that cooperation between Israeli and U.S.-trained Palestinian security forces in the West Bank — the key to the recent years of relative peace in the territory — has not been ruptured. While it continues, the mass carnage that haunted both Israelis and Palestinians in the early 2000s is unlikely to resume. But lone-wolf attacks by extremists on both sides will continue, and proliferate, absent steps by leaders on both sides to reduce tensions. They know what they should do: refrain from inflammatory statements and hold off on provocative acts like new Israeli settlement announcements or Palestinian appeals for recognition by the United Nations. That will require a change in the present political course of both Mr. Abbas and Mr. Netanyahu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Can we institute a rule wherein one decent article pertinent to the CURRENT crisis/spate of violence must be posted per page?
Sure. After last weeks Har-Nof synagogue attack, members of the Jordan parliament observed a minute of silence in memory of the shahids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl9a-WPE8nI

http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Jordanian-parliament-observes-moment-of-silence-for-terrorists-of-synagogue-attack-382433

"nrg posted:

Parliament member Mahmeh Alkatasha (?) asked the council to also formulate a statement condemning the Zionist attacks on Jerusalem following the heroic acts of the Abu-Jamal brothers.

I now completely understand how hatred of the Zionist entity by no means extends to hatred of the Israeli people.

• Locked thread