Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Spatula City posted:

I think the complaints about Moffat are overblown, and that fans are looking back on the RTD era with either rose tinted glasses, or glasses tinted so far as to let in no light.
The occ/Oxx thread has reminded me of just how awful much of RTD's run was. The season 1, 3, and 4 finales were all TERRIBLE, Rose was terrible, Martha was a character with potential who got constantly poo poo on, and Donna was a great character with about the worst possible ending you could conceive. Also Blowjob Concrete Slab. BLOWJOB CONCRETE SLAB. BLOWJOB! CONCRETE! SLAB!

Season 6, and especially season 7 pt. 1 are Moffat's Darkest Hours, but we all know there was Serious Behind-the-Scenes Issues. But season 5 is incredible, I love most of 7 part 2 (with Hide and Cold War in particular having a special place in my heart), and I'd consider season 8 almost on par with Season 5 (it falls short only due to Death In Heaven not being quite as good as I expected).

RTD's run was largely crap and made me embarrassed to be a fan of the show at times.

Moffat's run turned me off of the show completely and (50th anniversary special aside) I no longer watch it.

Also as Jakiri pointed out, Moffat doesn't get a pass on the behind the scenes stuff because it was largely his fault to begin with.

Spatula City posted:

So, I see people want to go back to the time when everything was colossally dumb all the time, and Rose was the Center of the World. Jolly good. I respect your bad taste. :colbert:

How about those of us who want to go back to the time when the show was actually consistently good (aka "The Holmes/Hinchcliffe Era")? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

How about those of us who want to go back to the time when the show was actually consistently good (aka "The Cartmel Era")? :v:

FTFY

I'm still a fan of both RTD and Moffat, in broad strokes

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

As long as Cartmel can tone down his Ace/Sophie Aldred fixation, I'd be OK with that, too. :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

Speaking as a light Who fan (I'm a filthy American peasant who grew up catching the same smattering of Fourth and Fifth Doctor episodes on my local PBS before the internet was a thing), I would love to see a new showrunner come along and revert the show back to a lovable old goof and his companions hopping around time and space and getting into all sorts of predicaments. There's so many universe or world-ending threats during Moffat's run that I'm sick of him trying to one up himself every season since. Someone needs to rein the show back in, dial back the Doctor worship and revert the show back to dudes visiting Earth-like quarry worlds filled with human-looking aliens instead of London or Cardiff for the umpteenth time.
I don't know if you can really blame this one on Moffat considering that RTD threatened to end every possible universe and then time itself just over a year later. If anything Moffat's "specifically targeted at the Doctor" season threats seem like a (minor) step down.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

How about those of us who want to go back to the time when the show was actually consistently good (aka "The Holmes/Hinchcliffe Era")? :v:

Bullshit, it's never been consistently good. It's been 80% garbage for 50 years and you're a liar or a fool to say otherwise.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sentinel Red posted:

Bullshit, it's never been consistently good.

1970 called, it says you're talking poo poo

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A non-fan would likely do a better job than Moffat. I feel like one of the biggest issues with the show right now is that it's gone "too sci-fi" and painted itself into a corner where every story has to be moon dragons or Cyberman legions. It watches like a fanboy's fan fiction, and I've given Moffat too many second chances. So I'm done.

And lol at the false dichotomy that Moffat abd RTD are the only people in the world.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Back when I did a quick thumps up/down on the whole of Doctor Who (I don't have archives, so can't find my exact numbers) I found out that each Doctor's time was roughly 40-60% poo poo. There are, however, individual sections of that which are excellent (eg Macra Terror through Fury from the Deep*, the aforementioned series 7, the Ace trilogy)

*Excluding the two missing episodes of the Ice Warriors, which are both complete poo poo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I should run it, I have strong feelings that Doctor Who should be all sorts of crazy crap. Pure historical? Why not! High concept sci fi episode? Go right ahead. Script for Dracula with Dracula crossed out and SPACE DRACULA written over the top? Darn tooting

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

moths posted:

A non-fan would likely do a better job than Moffat. I feel like one of the biggest issues with the show right now is that it's gone "too sci-fi" and painted itself into a corner where every story has to be moon dragons or Cyberman legions. It watches like a fanboy's fan fiction, and I've given Moffat too many second chances. So I'm done.

And lol at the false dichotomy that Moffat abd RTD are the only people in the world.

See, I don't think it's 'sci-fi' enough. I mean, yeah, it has all the sci-fi props and trappings of moon dragons and cyberman legions (both of which are crap), but there are very few actually interesting ideas going on. There's nothing really meaty, there are few moral or philosophical problems (despite this season's ham-handed 'is the Doctor good?!' thing, or aforementioned moon dragon bollocks), and there're few more high-concept 'what if?' scenarios (bar Flatline, which was an awesome idea that still could've been pushed further).

I want my Doctor Who to be more challenging, basically. I want more stuff like The Girl Who Waited or the Flesh Two-Parter or Midnight or Vincent and The Doctor. The 'darker and more mature tone' of this last series wasn't really anything of the sort, it was just the same old stuff except this time done pretty joylessly.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Yeah, there are a lot of valid criticisms of recent Doctor Who but I don't think 'too sci fi' is one of them. 'Bombastic, overwrought space fantasy' would be a more apt description.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"Waah, Steven Moffat, misogynist, can't write female characters, etc. Things were so much better in the Russell T Davies era!"
"Waah, Russell T Davies, gay agenda, chav companions, blowjob concrete slab, etc. Things were so much better in the John Nathan-Turner era!"
"Waah, John Nathan-Turner, stunt casting, pantomime, garish costumes, etc. Things were so much better in the Graham Williams era!"
"Waah, Graham Williams, dumbing down, too much humor, robot dog, Douglas Adams is poo poo, etc. Things were so much better in the Philip Hinchcliffe era!"
"Waah, Philip Hinchcliffe, too gothic, Hammer Horror fixation, etc. Things were so much better in the Barry Letts era!"
"Waah, Barry Letts, too James Bond, stuck on Earth, no sci-fi or time traveling, UNIT are poo poo, etc. Things were so much better in the Derrick Sherwin era!"
"Waah, Derrick Sherwin, The War Games was too long, what's all this Time Lord bollocks, etc. Things were so much better in the Peter Bryant era!"
"Waah, Peter Bryant, more "base under siege" bollocks, Zoe's too loving annoying, etc. Things were so much better in the Innes Lloyd era!"
"Waah, Innes Lloyd, the new Doctor's a loving clown, no more historical stories, too many monsters, "base under siege", etc. Things were so much better in the John Wiles era!"
"Waah, John Wiles, an episode without the Doctor?!, a 12-episode Dalek bore-fest? Things were so much better in the Verity Lambert era!"
"An educational children's science-fiction show featuring some old man who travels around in a police box? Produced by a woman?! Good luck with that poo poo."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I mean more that if you remove the sci-fi props and stage-dressing, there's nothing substantial left.

Really good sci-fi tells a story through the lens of the fantastic, but it just feels like they're paying more attention to the lens than the story. Instead of "How can we use the Master* to tell a great story?" they're asking "What do we have to write to have the Master onscreen?"

(*Or Cybermen, or Clara, or whatever else.)

moths fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 22, 2014

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

moths posted:

I mean more that if you remove the sci-fi props and stage-dressing, there's nothing substantial left.

Really good sci-fi tells a story through the lens of the fantastic, but it just feels like they're paying more attention to the lens than the story. Instead of "How can we use the Master* to tell a great story?" they're asking "What do we have to write to have the Master onscreen?"

(*Or Cybermen, or Clara, or whatever else.)

In that case, we agree entirely.

It's such a shame, too, because the format allows literally infinite story-telling potential. Yes, Doctor Who is about as far from 'hard' sci-fi as it's possible to get, but that doesn't preclude telling good sci-fi stories.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The stories have definitely taken on a very formulaic approach of:
1. Doctor/Clara arrive
2. Mysterious monster killing people
3. Doctor figures out twist behind monster
4. Doctor/Clara saves day

It's getting really predictable.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Mokinokaro posted:

1. Doctor/Clara arrive

And they would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those pesky time travelers.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Talking of Steven Moffat's time as showrunner reminds me of that scene in The End Of Time where the Doctor tells the Master that he's amazing and if he put his mind to it he could be a beautiful genius, but his downfall is that he's greedy and power hungry and doesn't pay attention to small details and he gets too excited about his great plots and forgets about the human element which is actually the part of a story that really counts, I forget how much of that specifically is in the episode but that's basically the gist of it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sentinel Red posted:

Bullshit, it's never been consistently good. It's been 80% garbage for 50 years and you're a liar or a fool to say otherwise.

Third Doctor's first season.

Checkmate.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully Moffat won't come up with anything as dreadful as "The End of Time" for his last story, but he's already written a couple of episodes that are that bad, so I shan't hold my breath.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

1. Doctor/Clara arrive

As far as I can tell this applies to at most four episodes in the past season (Deep Breath, Time Heist (this one is sortof pushing it), Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline). You could probably find a similar prevalence of Mysterious Monsters in most Doctor Who seasons :v:.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

1. Doctor/Clara arrive

... you have watched Doctor Who before this season, right?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Mokinokaro posted:

1. Doctor/Companion(s) arrive
4. Doctor/Companion(s) saves day

This is every Doctor Who episode ever.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There have been a lot of episodes this series where the episode is about What the hell is going on?, normally Doctor Who plots are not so, well, hidden.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

2house2fly posted:

Talking of Steven Moffat's time as showrunner reminds me of that scene in The End Of Time where the Doctor tells the Master that he's amazing and if he put his mind to it he could be a beautiful genius, but his downfall is that he's greedy and power hungry and doesn't pay attention to small details and he gets too excited about his great plots and forgets about the human element which is actually the part of a story that really counts, I forget how much of that specifically is in the episode but that's basically the gist of it.

See also, Moffat would get "dizzy if he tried to walk a straight line."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I should run it, I have strong feelings that Doctor Who should be all sorts of crazy crap. Pure historical? Why not! High concept sci fi episode? Go right ahead. Script for Dracula with Dracula crossed out and SPACE DRACULA written over the top? Darn tooting

Yeah, that's the show's greatest strength! Because the setting is "all of time and space, including made up places outside of time and space" and the characters for each episode are "the Doctor, his companion(s) and literally anybody else," and because the tone has differed so much over the years, it can be anything it wants to be. It can be an homage to Hitchcock set in a space station, a zany, screwball 30s comedy set during the French Revolution, or a dystopian satire.

I think that's why it's good to shake the show up every couple of years, particularly when you have writers like RTD and Moffat who have very definitely stylized writing. I actually feel the same way about Douglas Adams, whose quirks, which I love, are very recognizable and would have gotten a little tired if we'd had ten years of them.

New blood just regenerates the show!

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
It can be madcap and zany or dark and depressing as long as the stories are good. We'll probably survive this change of show runner too, most of us :)

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Bicyclops posted:

I think that's why it's good to shake the show up every couple of years, particularly when you have writers like RTD and Moffat who have very definitely stylized writing. I actually feel the same way about Douglas Adams, whose quirks, which I love, are very recognizable and would have gotten a little tired if we'd had ten years of them.

New blood just regenerates the show!

This makes me wonder what kind of stories Douglas Adams would've written for the reboot :smith: I've always been a fan of his work, even long before I got into Who.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Wall-to-wall farting aliens.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kazy posted:

This makes me wonder what kind of stories Douglas Adams would've written for the reboot :smith: I've always been a fan of his work, even long before I got into Who.

I'm sure they would have hired him to pen one or two for old times sake, assuming he could actually meet any of his deadlines :v:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Bicyclops posted:

I'm sure they would have hired him to pen one or two for old times sake, assuming he could actually meet any of his deadlines :v:

Right about now he'd be finishing his first Eccleston story.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really don't think Adams' writing would suit any of the revival Doctors, except maybe 9. You would really need either a completely alien Doc (4) or a slightly dull everyman (5) for it to work.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
...11 doesn't count as being a completely alien doc?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's actually a little impressive that in this day and age, we technically do not know whether or not Jenna Coleman is leaving after the Christmas special or who her replacement is. Normally, casting spoilers really are just unavoidable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Acne Rain posted:

...11 doesn't count as being a completely alien doc?

Season 5 Eleven, sure. Season 6 on? Too grandfatherly for it to really work.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really don't think Adams' writing would suit any of the revival Doctors, except maybe 9. You would really need either a completely alien Doc (4) or a slightly dull everyman (5) for it to work.

What about 8?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My only exposure to 8 is the tv movie, night of the doctor, and whatever his first audio is, so I couldn't tell ya.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My only exposure to 8 is the tv movie, night of the doctor, and whatever his first audio is, so I couldn't tell ya.

You should find the audio of Shada!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eight does have a little bit of Four's mannerisms in him usually, too. He's more approachable and excited about things, definitely, but you can definitely see Tom Baker saying things like "You should never turn down tea, Charley. It's terribly rude and that's how wars are started."

I don't think it's easy to speculate what Douglas Adams would be like if he were still writing today. He might have adjusted his style a bit to suit the times (I like to think he would have), or he could have, like a certain friend of his, turned into a grumpy old man angrily yelling that people are stealing his honey.

I only reached for him as an example because his writing has an easily recognizable "personality," like the two showrunners for the revival.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kazy posted:

In a doc about Adams, Moffat said (and this was during series one or two) that Adams definitely would have been asked to write for the new series.

And they would still be waiting for his script.

Also, before he died, apparently Adams was putting together his own proposal to bring Doctor Who back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Davros1 posted:

In a doc about Adams, Moffat said (and this was during series one or two) that Adams definitely would have been asked to write for the new series.

And they would still be waiting for his script.

Also, before he died, apparently Adams was putting together his own proposal to bring Doctor Who back.

Douglas Adams was a good writer for who but a bad script editor.

• Locked thread