Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Range up makes rubber cement and my reflection much better. Rubber cement becomes godly and my reflection becomes not garbage.

Assuming you're still trucking along with regular tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Skaw posted:

Range up makes rubber cement and my reflection much better. Rubber cement becomes godly and my reflection becomes not garbage.

Assuming you're still trucking along with regular tears.

Regular tears are the most fun to me these days. Mom's Knife, Brimstone, Ipecac etc. are fun but they get kinda one-note over the course of a playthrough, while tears can always keep changing.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

SuicideSnowman posted:

Keep in mind this was with Dr. Fetus which is quite possibly the most disappointing item in the new version. It just sucks. I understand that in the original it was a bit overpowered but taking 2 or 3 hits to kill normal enemies in the Womb+ becomes a challenge.

Dr. Fetus with Mr. Mega is actually really good, but if you can't get it then it's pretty underwhelming. I was pretty sad to learn it didn't work with Tear Bombs (the effect only happens on bombs you drop)

GeneX posted:

You can avoid the beams by going to the corners: I think it hits them sometimes, but you're usually safe there.

The corner where their path ends is safe probably like 75% of the time from my experience, but I've never been hit in the two where Isaac's beam attack doesn't start or end.

Volt Catfish posted:

I can restart my run as many times as I want without dying and it won't break the chain, right?

Yep

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
For Isaac's beams the corners that're 90 degrees to the starting corner have been safe for me 100% of the time. I used that rule for my Lost runs.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Also has there been an item that's improved more from the original to rebirth than Spoon Bender? The way it synergizes with any Technology or Mom's Knife is insane.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

Also has there been an item that's improved more from the original to rebirth than Spoon Bender? The way it synergizes with any Technology or Mom's Knife is insane.

I think the grand prize goes to Tammy's Head, just because of Tammy's Head+brimstone.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

goodness posted:

When are you ever standing still in this game? I have never had a problem getting hit by those enemies.

The point is that they CAN spawn under you, but usually don't. So standing still is good like 90% of the time, whereas moving around can make you run right into where they pop up not underneath you. It's kind of hosed either way. I've never had an issue until Rebirth though, so I assume it was a balance change or just a mistake moving stuff over.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Locke Dunnegan posted:

The point is that they CAN spawn under you, but usually don't. So standing still is good like 90% of the time, whereas moving around can make you run right into where they pop up not underneath you. It's kind of hosed either way. I've never had an issue until Rebirth though, so I assume it was a balance change or just a mistake moving stuff over.

The digglets and the clot enemies are violently more aggressive in this game than in the original; I can't think it was anything but a deliberate change.

(gently caress telefragging)

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Last run my attributes got mostly shuffled into move speed by an Experimental Treatment on the first floor. I picked up Taurus a few floors later, and due to my stats it would proc invincibility every time I walked into a new room. I'm not sure if Taurus does damage, but I had Aries too.

It's fun finding new ways to cheese such a hard game.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 22, 2014

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Luck only starts working against you once you start getting too many gold chests and not enough keys. Cain's lucky foot can still net you a ton of loving loot, and how good your shop is can make or break a Cain run.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Here's pieces of the process I outlined earlier based on seeing Richard_Hammer going through it all on stream:

To summarize, you want the most efficient reroll engine possible and some way to make sure you can reroll an arbitrarily large number of times (hence the Pyromaniac healing),

Thanks. I GOT THEM!!! Just now. I didn't have Pyromaniac so it was pretty suspenseful. Got the plug and wafer(had epic fetus too which helped me get money and secret rooms and such), then got full red hearts, then got down to Chest with full health and a Sun card and on my third reroll I got the Monster Manual. I managed to get a bandage girl level 4 early on but on the entire reroll run didn't get a meat boy. But I did get charm of the vampire so I decided to finish out the floor and see if I could get lucky. Well I went into the secret room and I had PHD and there were three pills. Two of them were full health!!! So I went crazy again and with 6 red hearts left on my last run of health a level 4 meat boy came in. Whew! That was a pain in the rear end and glad I'll never do that crap again.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
Oh man, picking up shielded tears along with ipecac was a horrible idea. I can't shoot a single ipecac shot at Isaac without a tear from him making it detonate in my face immediately.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Is it just me or is The Bloat's side brimstone-shot way less obnoxious than in the original? It seems higher up on the model and way easier to continue getting shots in without taking return damage.

So my hubris for saying this just came back during a boss rush with The Lost :coffeepal:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Going for a Mega Satan clear on Isaac since I just unlocked the D6. Got the angel key, plus Sacred Tears and technology 2! Not a lot of damage ups, but the wafer and a full health bar means I can take things down without taking much damage at all.

Hit the Curse of the Blind in the Chest so I have no idea what I'm picking up, but even something like Ipecac or Tiny Planet would be fine against the Mega Satan fight, pick up Monstro's Lung by accident, but it's not really a liability. Reroll the other chests and pick up...Soy Milk

:negative:

Monstro's Lung + Soy Milk means you barf a ton of tiny tears about two inches from you.

I make it past the seven sins, but died just because I was taking too much damage. Curse of the Blind is a mean curse.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

So my hubris for saying this just came back during a boss rush with The Lost :coffeepal:

...I did have Dead Cat though. WOOOO

E: Dead Cat, not Guppy. Was 2/3rds of the way there with the head.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Sanctum posted:

Stuff about secret rooms

:colbert:

(I forgot to get a screenshot of the full map but yes, that is the regular secret room, only adjacent to the challenge room and nothing else)

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Beans! challenge finally done, and what an odd way it ended. As always, the going was slow, waiting on The Bean for it's awful recharge and keeping the bombs for sparing use. Did an early deal for Contract from Below, so I was able to bomb more liberally from the Catacombs onwards. Free Guppy items allowed me to become Guppy (Hairball/Cat/Head), and the hairball itself managed to speed things up.

Got a bit weird on the last floor however. I foolishly tried to take Brimstone, discovering that it wouldn't work for me, leaving me with only 2 1/2 spirit hearts left. After a bit of exploring, had a drop of 2 Suicide King cards, blowing 2 lives gave me a nice boost to my health, and the Black Lotus in the secret room was even better. Finally, the room before the boss gave me the Rune of Algiz, which lasted the entire fight with Mom and made it a huge breeze. Crazy luck saved the day after it being such a pain of a challenge.

I am just left with Challenge #11 and #19 to unlock, should be fun to find those.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Jibo posted:

:colbert:

(I forgot to get a screenshot of the full map but yes, that is the regular secret room, only adjacent to the challenge room and nothing else)

Yeah, I had a similar map I posted about a hundred pages back (going by how fast this thread moves). We kinda thought it was an isolated incident back then.

But basically, normally secret rooms are adjecent to at least 2 rooms, and not next to a boss room or a room from which you could not enter it or you could not enter it without taking damage. So rooms with spikes or chasms at the wall automatically mean there will be no secret room next to it. NORMALLY at least. There's weird cases like this one too.

E: I suppose one could check the log files to check if there's some kind of error that makes it so the secret room spawns in unusual locations.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 22, 2014

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Holy poo poo, I'm a moron. I picked up Dead Cat in the Womb as ??? when I was at the HP cap. I'm never gonna unlock the loving D6.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Jibo posted:

check the other sides for the dark secret room

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Waffle! posted:

Last run my attributes got mostly shuffled into move speed by an Experimental Treatment on the first floor. I picked up Taurus a few floors later, and due to my stats it would proc invincibility every time I walked into a new room. I'm not sure if Taurus does damage, but I had Aries too.

It's fun finding new ways to cheese such a hard game.

OTOH Taurus can apparently only fire once per room(as in if you respawn or bomb out of the room you can't use it on reentering) and it won't fire in challenge rooms or the boss rush either apparently.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 22, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
A question. Does the book of shadows/polaroid effect allow you to recharge an item using the sharp plug for free? Because if it does you can get infinite invincibility forever, or the ability to spam a spacebar item every time you get hit and activate the polaroid.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Isaac killed me during a Lazarus run with a sliver of life left, but I came back to life and killed him. I touch the chest to move on, and I died! The game over screen was all pixelated, too. I had full Guppy and the polaroid... what happened?

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
How are you guys running the secret character, just resetting until you get holy mantle and/or dead cat?

I got the holy mantle in one of my early attempts and managed to kill the blue baby, but have had little luck since then. Besides a couple of runs with the dead cat where I got to the heart, I don't think I ever got as far as the mom.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Whoo, finally knocked out the last hard mode kills. 100% achievements, all bosses killed in hard mode with all characters.

Now I just get to have fun cheesing the game with Isaac in normal mode :unsmith:

Beeme posted:

How are you guys running the secret character, just resetting until you get holy mantle and/or dead cat?

I got the holy mantle in one of my early attempts and managed to kill the blue baby, but have had little luck since then. Besides a couple of runs with the dead cat where I got to the heart, I don't think I ever got as far as the mom.

Check my post history for my personal guidelines, though of course they would vary for eveyrone based on personal preference. I think the big thing about the Lost is that you can't afford to grind it out hoping for a good setup later. If you don't get a potentially game winning setup by the end of Basement/Cellar II, you should reset right then and there instead of trying to stick it through.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
My first time getting into the dark place, I got in with half a heart left and a soul heart, got Curse of the Lost. I had the Scapular, Brimstone, and Guppy's Collar. I revived twice, scapular saved me like a dozen times, my 3 orbitals saves me countless others... I ended up getting triple shot in a regular chest. I ended the floor with full health, didn't take any damage from the Lamb.

Whoa. I was pretty sure that run should have ended in the Womb, as I only had 2 heart containers max as I went down. God that was tense.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

The digglets and the clot enemies are violently more aggressive in this game than in the original; I can't think it was anything but a deliberate change.

(gently caress telefragging)

The best way to deal with them is flight. Sit on a rock, they both cannot spawn under you and the rock blocks their projectiles. If you have spectral tears, Brimstone, Ludovico, whatever it's even better.

Of course, this expects a lot from the RNG but that's the game.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

What would you guys fix if you were patching this game?

Here are my thoughts -- these things are either totally unsalvageable bad ideas or clear errors / oversights:

- "R U A Wizard" and "Paralysis" are not good pills. They're very bad. PhD should get rid of them.

- Enemies that can teleport or burrow often pop up directly beneath you, inflicting inescapable damage for no reason just because you happened to roll a room with them in it. There should be a radius around your character where these guys can't appear.

- Some rooms are literally impossible to get through without taking damage unless you can fly because they have unmoving spikes across the middle of them. Sometimes dropping hearts on either side of these room on generation is not enough. These rooms just need to go. Difficult-to-get-through rooms with moving spikes are one thing, but these are the equivalent of an enemy you can't damage without spectral shot: a stupid dumb bad idea that can't be salvaged.

- Some items don't have synergy. Mom's Knife, Monstro's Lung, Technology 1 and 2, and Brimstone are the major culprits, with each other and with other items like Parasite. I know these aren't insurmountable; they're just, you know, someone forgot to make them work.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mom's knife with parasite shoots out tiny forks at the end of its charge before it begins returning to you. Bam item now rules

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Alright just got Platinum God, now I just need to get lucky with an Angel room and get Godhead. Jesus loves me, this I know.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Grapplejack posted:

Mom's knife with parasite shoots out tiny forks at the end of its charge before it begins returning to you. Bam item now rules

One spoon and one fork. The spoon seeks and the fork heals on kill.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think they already removed the auto damage rooms, now it has a rock or a red poop in the middle.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Honestly the biggest thing I would change would be the minimap sometimes obscuring spikes or enemies in the top right, and the mini boss banner obscuring the top of a room (entering a super lust room from the top is scary when it happens)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can already move the minimap.

So how do you get all the endings? I'm missing a few, 16 is for Mega Satan I think but other than that I dunno.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Iny posted:

Here are my thoughts -- these things are either totally unsalvageable bad ideas or clear errors / oversights:

- "R U A Wizard" and "Paralysis" are not good pills. They're very bad. PhD should get rid of them.

- Enemies that can teleport or burrow often pop up directly beneath you, inflicting inescapable damage for no reason just because you happened to roll a room with them in it. There should be a radius around your character where these guys can't appear.

- Some rooms are literally impossible to get through without taking damage unless you can fly because they have unmoving spikes across the middle of them. Sometimes dropping hearts on either side of these room on generation is not enough. These rooms just need to go. Difficult-to-get-through rooms with moving spikes are one thing, but these are the equivalent of an enemy you can't damage without spectral shot: a stupid dumb bad idea that can't be salvaged.

- Some items don't have synergy. Mom's Knife, Monstro's Lung, Technology 1 and 2, and Brimstone are the major culprits, with each other and with other items like Parasite. I know these aren't insurmountable; they're just, you know, someone forgot to make them work.

Make it so it shows you the seed on the death screen. That way if you want to try a do-over afterwards it doesn't depend on if you wrote it down during the game.

Narrow the drop pool on Lost runs for only the very first item room.

Make it a little easier to get the Meat Boy and Bandage Girl achievements. Maybe have those orbitals be part of the standard boss pool as well??

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 22, 2014

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

PhD is basically really good if you have Tears Down in your game (and maybe Luck Down? Dunno how strong Luck is).

I had a game yesterday where I had two health down pills on me (not really sure why I bought the more pill room in the shop, I think I thought it was something else) Then I found PHD in a shop later on, 2 hp up for 15 coins was a pretty good deal.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Beeme posted:

I'm resetting until I get
- A treasure room adjacent to the starting one
- An item that does something for The Lost

In the run where I came close to the boss rush + killed Satan as him earlier I started with Taurus. I think the Devil/Angel room after Basement 2 is a huge determinant of the run. gently caress the devil rooms with three red chests, I've gotten those like 3 times today.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
R U A Wizard should correct to I Found Pills. :v: Paralysis should correct to Telepills.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think they already removed the auto damage rooms, now it has a rock or a red poop in the middle.

I'm not sure if they fixed it or if it was three variants to begin with, but I think it hasn't been removed and there were just three variants to begin with.

The red poop version is alright, it's an interesting challenge. The rock one is only okay if there's a 100% bomb drop chance on both sides, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Iny posted:

-Lost should start with Dead Cat or Mantle since you know players are going to reset grind to get them anyways.