Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Star Trek AC where you're a Redshirt Assassin crewman trying to take down a bridge crew full of Templars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Good News: It looks like the companion app is finally syncing properly.

Better News: Ubisoft took down Initiates yesterday to fix it and apparently did.

Ubisoft News: Initiates is now completely broken.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

gently caress the canon, Ghost in the Shell Assassin's Creed in a cyberpunk future, where you've got cybernetic implants that let you jump higher so you can run across the roofs of giant neon skyscrapers.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...

Palpek posted:

Planet of the apes rear end Creed where you're the good monkey but those Templar monkeys found the black monolyth and are using it for their evil purposes.

Or on the theme of monkeys, what if that image is referencing the OTHER famous singer named David Jones?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ayn rand hand job posted:

They seem to have opened up a bunch of stuff on the Initiates site (in addition to breaking it). Some sort of "Style" tracker with game "accomplishments" (assume actions generating assassin points?) being tracked to say what kind of assassin you are? Kind of neat.

I still miss all the modern day stuff they ripped out of Initiates though.

I don't really get the point of Initiates anymore. It used to be something akin to the Battlefield Veteran program, where you got rewarded for having previous games and all that modern day storyline stuff that you could sperg over. Now, I don't really get why its there and its a little way too in-your-face in game. I guess in addition to getting mission ratings, Ubisoft wants to break down the moment to moment gameplay completely and make the most computer-generated AC game yet?

The rating system seems to work though, I'm almost at the end of the game and haven't had a single mission where I've had to tail someone and listen to a conversation. :aaa:

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Snuffman posted:

They seem to have opened up a bunch of stuff on the Initiates site (in addition to breaking it). Some sort of "Style" tracker with game "accomplishments" (assume actions generating assassin points?) being tracked to say what kind of assassin you are? Kind of neat.

I still miss all the modern day stuff they ripped out of Initiates though.

I don't really get the point of Initiates anymore. It used to be something akin to the Battlefield Veteran program, where you got rewarded for having previous games and all that modern day storyline stuff that you could sperg over. Now, I don't really get why its there and its a little way too in-your-face in game. I guess in addition to getting mission ratings, Ubisoft wants to break down the moment to moment gameplay completely and make the most computer-generated AC game yet?

The rating system seems to work though, I'm almost at the end of the game and haven't had a single mission where I've had to tail someone and listen to a conversation. :aaa:

The only thing that bothers me about initiates in load into AC Unity-> press menu button to bring up map-> NOPE opens browser to Initiates because the on screen pop up hangs out for 5 minutes

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
post-apocalyptic fist of the north star-style assassins creed where guns have all been damaged/worn out beyond repair so everyone fights with swords n poo poo

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

whatever7 posted:

Its a no brainer that the next few AC games will be AC5: Napoleon and AC5: More European Wars; the next major installment of AC would be set in industrial revolution Britain.

I think after AC3, Ubisoft wouldn't seriously invest in non-european locates. Hopefully the franchise will run out of steam and make the exit before WWI.

Napoleon seems inevitable (and would give us a chance to catch up with Connor in 1812), but I think that'll be it for Arno and if they do go to Assassin's Creed: Keeping it like the Kaiser it'll be the start of AC6.

But AC4 was non-european and it was a success for Ubi, so I think that they'll take a different lesson from three. (Which might be as dumb as 'let's not do a non-european assassin again', or might actually be something more sensible..)

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

I was level four, now I'm level 0 :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

This is as irritating as when a whole web page won't load because the ads won't load.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

superh posted:

I wouldn't mind going back to the Middle East again, if we could only get that amazing flag pickup sound back :allears:
Just as an aside, that sound is my message alert ringtone. It even has the eagle cry at the end of it. I love getting voicemails. :swoon:

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

kinmik posted:

Just as an aside, that sound is my message alert ringtone. It even has the eagle cry at the end of it. I love getting voicemails. :swoon:

Any... any chance you could share the file or where you got it? That'd be amazing. I loved that sound.

I don't think this is :filez:, is it?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

kinmik posted:

Daily Forecast posted:

Any... any chance you could share the file or where you got it? That'd be amazing. I loved that sound.

Yes, yes this pretty please!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Daily Forecast posted:

Ubisoft wants to integrate their games with smartphones in six billion useless ways, and yet they didn't think of this...

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Help recommend kosher media sharing site pl0x.

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not
Is this it?
https://soundcloud.com/allsoundsasscreed/flag-found-ii

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Yeah that's the one! Is it missing a little flourish at the end though? I might just be misremembering.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

That's the right clip, though the one I have sounds less like piano keys and more...Animus-y? Now I listen really well, doesn't really sound like an eagle at the end. :/

http://mfi.re/listen/9wy77hg9bb1ywky/Investigation_Complete.Flag_Found.mp3
Hope this is alright. Now I have a hankering to play through ACI again.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I think they could do a modern day AssCreed okay if they set it somewhere like the UK, where there aren't many guns anyway, and the armed police only roll out of you're really naughty. Even the cities wouldn't have mega-boring mile-high rectangles to climb. Someone made a Mirrors Edge themed parkour video in my city, and there's plenty of interesting stuff to climb on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-mEnMMmSrQ

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Why are guns such a concern? Just give the player some bullshit device to allow them to deflect bullets, done. That could even be a cool gameplay mechanic that incorporates the parkour, where instead of just countering a gagglefuck of dudes, melee combat isn't a thing to worry about, you just have to deftly close the distance to a target.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 22, 2014

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I half expected that the reason they were adding so many anti-bullet devices in the recent games was to prepare for moving closer to modern times.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It would be hilarious (and not in a good way) to watch rear end Creed's combat system translated into battles with the UK's police. They don't have guns alright but what would the actual fights be? Would they pull out swords? Police baton fencing? Pepper spray kung fu? Or would they be all hand-to-hand combat masters? :laugh:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I think any modern enemy with the old combat system would be kind of a joke. Just look at the end of AC2 and the guards with the non-collapsible batons. :)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Palpek posted:

It would be hilarious (and not in a good way) to watch rear end Creed's combat system translated into battles with the UK's police. They don't have guns alright but what would the actual fights be? Would they pull out swords? Police baton fencing? Pepper spray kung fu? Or would they be all hand-to-hand combat masters? :laugh:

They already had baton fights in some of the modern day segments of previous games. You spend the whole time wondering why someone doesn't pull out a gun.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Davoren posted:

I half expected that the reason they were adding so many anti-bullet devices in the recent games was to prepare for moving closer to modern times.

I mean, just give the main character a bootleg Piece of Eden and boom you've got a mini deflector shield.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

They already had baton fights in some of the modern day segments of previous games. You spend the whole time wondering why someone doesn't pull out a gun.

Desmond's father is still undercover with them at that point, I think?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Reverse Centaur posted:

The way I reasoned it is because Abstergo sent Vidic and the grunts to take Desmond back alive. Then when he infiltrates busts through their doors like a ninny that's when they go for their guns.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It's weird, even though they want him alive to find stuff out from his ancestors, when he dies at the end of 3 they just roll in and get his body and are able to do the same thing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, I always thought if they wanted to waste their time with a modern-day game they could just have a bullet-deflecting Piece of Eden. Takes ten seconds to set up and explain. Melee combat would be based on sheer numbers, a la Oldboy or The Raid

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ubi need to do a modern setting as a joke in one of the "glitch" stage.

Garbage dump = hay stack
hide inside the crowd = put a entry SLR on your neck and act like a tourist
Climbing on top of the cathedral = climbing on top of Verizon cell antenna and post a selfie on youtube
Rihanna ring tone = sychonize eagle cry
begger women from AC1 = electric bill esco sales droid/enviormentalist/PETA

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Or instead of dodging it, just give EVERYONE a gun and have your eagle eye become a hawk-eye. Give us Red Dead Assassins is what I'm saying.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vincent posted:

Or instead of dodging it, just give EVERYONE a gun and have your eagle eye become a hawk-eye. Give us Red Dead Assassins is what I'm saying.

This would be acceptable only if assassins can curve bullets

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

bobjr posted:

It's weird, even though they want him alive to find stuff out from his ancestors, when he dies at the end of 3 they just roll in and get his body and are able to do the same thing.

That can be spun as them having to evolve the tech a little in order to let other people relive memories through someone's DNA.

Yeah, it undoes the importance of the main characters from the first games, but it could be spun that there was more tech in that place where Desmond died that allowed them to enhance the Animus to Helix.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Snuffman posted:

This was working for a day or so, it said I was an "infiltrator" and backed it up with a bunch of stats on sneaking, free running etc. I checked again the next day and the graph was completely inverted, and now it can't decide if I'm a handler, a tormentor, an [object Object] or a %1$s. Which is fine too, I guess.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Man you know Ubisoft screwed the pooch this year if it's less than 2 weeks post-release of TWO new AC titles and everyone's talking about what they'd rather be playing instead.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

kinmik posted:

That's the right clip, though the one I have sounds less like piano keys and more...Animus-y? Now I listen really well, doesn't really sound like an eagle at the end. :/

http://mfi.re/listen/9wy77hg9bb1ywky/Investigation_Complete.Flag_Found.mp3
Hope this is alright. Now I have a hankering to play through ACI again.

Thanks for this! Although...!

superh posted:

Yeah that's the one! Is it missing a little flourish at the end though? I might just be misremembering.

All the clips I could find online are cut off. So I booted up the game and found a flag myself. :shepface:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/rd4a6522n5s58y3/flag_collect.mp3

Real talk, it's not a popular opinion but for all its flaws, I dig AC1 the most (I know I said this in the last thread and I still mean it.) And for all ITS flaws, I think Unity, to an extent, feels a little bit similar, in a good way.

The "kitchen sink" style of game design ("let's thow all these game mechanics in! Boats! Tower Defense!") instead of polishing the core kinda sucks. AC1 had heart and a unique take on the actual assassinations, which I think Unity tries to recapture without being as limiting.

My one critique of Unity's actual game design, glitches and uplay and all that garbage aside, is that not being allowed out into the countryside makes the game feel kinda stale after a while. A thousand unique rooftops with unique interiors that are all the same isn't as fresh feeling as it could be if we were riding around on a horse between towns for a change of pace. The Kingdom had cool geography and it offered a bit of contrast to what you were doing in the cities.

Although, I'm only on sequence 6 in Unity, do we get out into the countryside?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

macnbc posted:

Man you know Ubisoft screwed the pooch this year if it's less than 2 weeks post-release of TWO new AC titles and everyone's talking about what they'd rather be playing instead.

Why didn't they just released Rogue this year. The review are coming in and the only downside is they are using a lot of asset from the old game. What the game is going for it the fact you are playing a templar this time and people says that it bring enough to the table to make it quite fun and interesting.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 22, 2014

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

macnbc posted:

By this point it's just franchise fatigue. What more can we talk about, if the plot's fairly simple (even though I enjoyed most of it) and there isn't as much of a multiplayer mode?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

superh posted:

Although, I'm only on sequence 6 in Unity, do we get out into the countryside?

Sorry, no. :(

Finished the game last night. I'll go back and scoop up collectables and finish side missions later but all in all, I really liked it. Its not my favorite AC, that'll still be Brotherhood, but I really like what Unity did. The extra emphasis on stealth, the lack of weapon overload, the well realized city and the openended assassinations. All meshed together quite nicely.

If I had one complaint, outside of side-app/Initiates/microtranactions, its how awful the modern day story was in this one and particularly how it ended.

Oh, his skull is in the catacombs. Guess we don't need to worry about Abstergo finding it. Thanks.

The weak ending really drove home why the modern story needs to be there. In prior AC's it tied everything together and makes the build to the ending more meaningful with the discovery or use of the magic-maguffin in modern day. With out a real modern day story, AC Unity's ending feels anticlimactic by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
After the initial disappointment I actually ended up getting into Unity to some extent. I wonder what that game could have been if it had been released next season. I think they made an honest effort to give a bit more depth to the core systems (combat, stealth, parkour, assassinations) but got stuck halfway when the deadline rushed up.

• Locked thread