Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Any of the three seasons would have done well as an all-encompassing villain. Amon and Zaheer have that conspiracy vibe going on that works well in this new world of higher tech (compared to the medieval world with an obvious expansionist warlord) or Vaatu for reasons of scale (Vaatu is stupid and so is Harmonic Convergence).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

They also put the show on like a months-long hiatus along with Green Lantern with basically no prior warning shortly after starting up with new episodes.
Why did you leave the "basically" in this? From what I can remember, Cartoon Network gave the official word after the show was supposed to air!

Pththya-lyi posted:

I actually liked the second sequence because it rebutted a major criticism that's been thrown around in this thread: "Korra's a fuckup! Nothing she's done has made a difference!"
To be fair, it's not like Korra intended to do any of those things, or even participated in all of them. The democratization of Republic City happened because Amon was defeated after having been really successful and then the politicians thought "Okay, maybe we ought to change a few things around here". She only left the portals open because her complete failure at stopping Unalaq before he could fulfill his goals, and only managing to stop him at the very last moment, meant that the main reason for closing them was gone. The return of the Air Nation was an unexpected event and before that, she couldn't deal with any of the predictable stuff, like getting rid of the vines or helping human and spirits to live together.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
A loving clip show.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

X_Toad posted:

To be fair, it's not like Korra intended to do any of those things, or even participated in all of them. The democratization of Republic City happened because Amon was defeated after having been really successful and then the politicians thought "Okay, maybe we ought to change a few things around here". She only left the portals open because her complete failure at stopping Unalaq before he could fulfill his goals, and only managing to stop him at the very last moment, meant that the main reason for closing them was gone. The return of the Air Nation was an unexpected event and before that, she couldn't deal with any of the predictable stuff, like getting rid of the vines or helping human and spirits to live together.

Well, if anything, that is fair! :) This might be why it's a hard sell. But in the end, none of it would've been possible without Korra's actions and decisions. She saw that Unalaq had a point and left the portals open on purpose; and even if the new airbenders were by chance, she still helped build the nation and - most importantly! - was willing to sacrifice herself for it.

Amon is a much trickier case, if you ask me, because that really WAS pretty much a fuckup from beginning to end. Did she ever manage to expose Amon as a fraud? Only by accident, and even with a power she discovered by accident as well! If it weren't for that sudden emergence of Airbending, no-one in the entire season had done anything to stop Amon (except for Asami and Bolin, I guess - yay for mechbattles! And you could argue that Lin managed to delay the airbender's capture). And finally, the democratization happened entirely offscreen, with no explanation whatsoever except for a few tidbits here and there in interviews. Hell, when you look at Korra at the beginning of S2, she hasn't learned a thing and is as hotheaded as ever - am I supposed to believe she actually understood the underlying problem and helped bring democracy about? Looks more like a job for Tenzin. Sorry, I don't buy it.

The more time passes, the more I'm starting to think that the S1 finale really IS the lowpoint. I was only vaguely disappointed when it happened, but the more we saw of the long-term consequences, the more I dislike it. There were so many things missing from it: actually building towards the democracy we're supposed to think has sprouted from that chaos, what happened to the Lieutenant (far too important to be just left in a pile of rubble forever!) and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, no magical kung-fu battles! Bloodbending is creepy, but it SUCKS for magical kung-fu! There should've been some way of subverting it entirely to have sweet magical kung-fu - then we may have had an epic showdown, similar to the bloodbending fight in the first series, where one fighter (Katara) was straight-up immune and everybody else (Sokka, Aang) were just dolls/weapons to fight with. Instead, sudden silly airbending takedown out of nowhere. Great. S2 finale is not only leagues better than that, it's also actually good, and S3 is even better. A cool villain like Amon deserved better.

The murder suicide was genius, though. That did a lot to soften the impact.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
ughhh this show sucks.

Mako still is the worst character.

I ended up skipping over most of this episode. I admit I did laugh at "Scariest most evil kite that ever lived"

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 22, 2014

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Rosalind posted:

Your gif ends before the best face of the entire series:

That's me just reading about this show and it's potential fate.

As much as the new episode was still fun to watch, I just hope the finale doesn't end up looking like a street show with cardboard cutouts and hand puppets.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

She saw that Unalaq had a point and left the portals open on purpose;
I think my beef with Unalaq and the portals is based on a "what if", namely "What if Korra had managed to put Vaatu back in his prison before he and Unalaq got a chance to merge?" and my answer to that is "She would have closed the portals, duh!". Purifying Vaatu and reuniting both worlds is an idea that she only started to ponder when Vaatu was decisively destroyed, which is something that Unalaq basically forced her to do when he became a physical god.

It's part of the reason why I believe that Unalaq would have worked well as a revolutionary bent on opening the portals and have Harmonic Convergence take place, with the intention of having Korra deal with Vaatu, thus removing the main reason for the separation of both worlds (the Dark Avatar being the result of the forceful possession of Unalaq by Vaatu when the later realizes that he's not match for the Avatar). It looks insane enough that everyone, especially the Avatar, would want to put a stop to it even if Unalaq's intentions are "good". Add in the personal imbalance of Unalaq, and we could have had a "good intentions, wrong methods" villain alongside the ones with twisted ideologies (Amon and Zaheer) and the one who started with good intentions but then went off the rails (Kuvira).

Torquemadras posted:

am I supposed to believe she actually understood the underlying problem and helped bring democracy about? Looks more like a job for Tenzin. Sorry, I don't buy it.
I don't think we were supposed to "buy it". Korra had obviously no implication in the whole process.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

X_Toad posted:

It's part of the reason why I believe that Unalaq would have worked well as a revolutionary bent on opening the portals and have Harmonic Convergence take place, with the intention of having Korra deal with Vaatu, thus removing the main reason for the separation of both worlds (the Dark Avatar being the result of the forceful possession of Unalaq by Vaatu when the later realizes that he's not match for the Avatar). It looks insane enough that everyone, especially the Avatar, would want to put a stop to it even if Unalaq's intentions are "good". Add in the personal imbalance of Unalaq, and we could have had a "good intentions, wrong methods" villain alongside the ones with twisted ideologies (Amon and Zaheer) and the one who started with good intentions but then went off the rails (Kuvira).
This is basically where everyone wanted Unalaq's character to go. But then this shot happened

And he was 100% mustache-twirling evil with lovely motivations from that point onward.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

JT Jag posted:

This is basically where everyone wanted Unalaq's character to go.
I don't know, I feel like my idea would only work with Unalaq not being the chief of the Northern Water Tribe while the Civil War still happens, as another element that makes him really desperate when Korra suddenly gives up on him and his projects and start concerning herself with the Civil War.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

gently caress all ya'll, I liked the clip show. But then again, I completely missed season 2 and the non-online only parts of season 3. Nick should've advertised it if they wanted people to watch.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Unalaq was a terrible villain because despite the fanfics and what ifs that always get written when he gets brought up we know literally nothing about him beyond he's a dick and he hates his brother. There was never any potential in him because there was nothing in him.

Also the chibis were cute, every episode needs grandma whatever Mako and Bolin's last name is popping in to make old lady comments.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

<I misread and posted anyway, oh well, have edit text>

here, have some guilty fanart:

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 22, 2014

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

JT Jag posted:

This is basically where everyone wanted Unalaq's character to go. But then this shot happened

And he was 100% mustache-twirling evil with lovely motivations from that point onward.

Dude just looks really spiritual there to me :confused:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

JT Jag posted:

He would also have worked better as a Dark Avatar sorta thing if they'd actually gone for a real yin-yang thing. Instead they presented them as good and evil, which is kinda not what yin-yang is all about. Neither of them are good and neither of them are evil. They both have positive and negative qualities to them. Too much yin and you're a detached rear end in a top hat, too much yang and you're an overly emotional rear end in a top hat.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's the lighting. Also, what kind of place and position is this to take a nap?

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

X_Toad posted:

It's the lighting. Also, what kind of place and position is this to take a nap?

I figured he was meditating. Because he's so spiritual and all.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Oh Snapple! posted:

We had this debate at the time too. If you hide a characters face in harsh shadows while they sit alone on a throne too big for them then they are clearly a villain, not matter how much fan fiction SHM writes about his motives.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

See also:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I'm not really buying Brian's argument that they did it so people could get paid. "We wanted to make more money so we compromised our artistic integrity." Look, the show is not a charity. I don't care about a couple weeks of pay for animators. They'll find other jobs, especially if they have a track record of working on a show that's known to not be lovely.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I too put a few minutes of entertainment ahead of the financial security of my friends and coworkers.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

We had this debate at the time too. If you hide a characters face in harsh shadows while they sit alone on a throne too big for them then they are clearly a villain, not matter how much fan fiction SHM writes about his motives.

Oh I'm fully aware. I knew exactly what I was posting :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Oh Snapple! posted:

I bet an unfortunate amount alter boys saw that look too from their priest... god that was horrible of me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

I'm not really buying Brian's argument that they did it so people could get paid. "We wanted to make more money so we compromised our artistic integrity." Look, the show is not a charity. I don't care about a couple weeks of pay for animators. They'll find other jobs, especially if they have a track record of working on a show that's known to not be lovely.

There is something immensely depressing about someone who goes "I don't care about real people, my children's cartoon show had a CLIP SHOW."

The entire thing is that they had a contract to provide a certain number of episodes and lost a episode's worth (more or less) or budget. They didn't add an extra episode 'to make more money' no matter how much you want to read it that way.

Also you're just plain wrong if you think the lower-level cast and crew of a show are hired based on the quality of the shows they worked on.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 23, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

"We wanted to make more money so we compromised our artistic integrity."

It's just a clip show, and they live in the real world. Who cares.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

dj_clawson posted:

The end result is exactly the same to you. Who cares?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

thexerox123 posted:

It's just a clip show, and they live in the real world. Who cares.
This is all Kuvira's fault.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Didn't Bryan say they would have had to let those people go a few weeks early, thus compromising their ability to deliver the finale? We would have been complaining a lot more if we'd gotten a crappily made finale than when we got a fairly decent clip show with the world's best conference call.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

dj_clawson posted:

entitlement.txt

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

dj_clawson posted:

Ahahahahaha

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The show might be bad, but the fanbase is worse. :allears:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

:goonsay:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It doesn't even make any sense, animes do recap episodes because of shoestring budgets all the loving time, they should consider this a plus

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
I wouldn't even care if their budget didn't get slashed and then just forwarded the budget to a kickin rad higher budget finale.

It was an okay episode, I wasn't prepared for it so it sorta threw me, a bit disappointed there wasn't a 'real' episode. Honestly they could have extended the Korra section and made an episode like when Aang was opening his chakras, just sort of meditate on her issues flashing back to old poo poo, whatever they did it back then too.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

dj_clawson posted:

I don't care about a couple weeks of pay for animators.
Sure, as long as you're not one of these animators yourself.

This fanbase really is the worst.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dj_clawson posted:

Jesus loving christ

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

dj_clawson posted:

Now I'm glad it was a clip show.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
I liked the episode for real. People are always saying they need to take some time and flesh out the characters and their motivations, and well, aside from Varick's thing which was great in its own right, this was pretty much an episode of that.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

dj_clawson posted:

I hear finding animation work is tough, like all forms of artistic work.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Baron Bifford posted:

I hear finding animation work is tough, like all forms of artistic work.

Especially since American animation studios farm all their work to Kor..

Nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Edit: wrong thread!!!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 23, 2014

• Locked thread