Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Elliotw2 posted:

It's probably because of the stabilization. A lot of people assumed the reason they didn't use the Alpha style stabilization in the earlier ones was for space saving reasons.

I was watching an interview on youtube somewhere with someone from olympus and they said the E-M10 didn't have 5 way stabilization because on the other models the the sensor has room at the top (the area where a pentaprism would have been on a film camera) but the E-M10 has the EVF there which didn't leave any room. So it would make sense that they just didn't have the space or the sensors weren't small enough (I looked into what the guts look like on any of these)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Cacator posted:

All I want for my E-M5 is focus peaking :(

I've tried focus peaking on the nex cameras and I don't think it's actually any faster than mapping the zoom focus assist to one of the back buttons on my om-d :shrug:

push2zoom crew :getin:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Splinter posted:

This is true for bodies, but lenses aren't something that steadily improve each generation. Good glass is good glass. Companies don't release a new 70-200 2.8 every few years that causes the previous model to significantly drop in price, for instance. Investment in lenses and accessories is what keeps people locked into a given system, not bodies.

That's why I said it's a huge hassle to switch systems :confused: Exceptions being something like m4/3 of course.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Despair posted:

I've tried focus peaking on the nex cameras and I don't think it's actually any faster than mapping the zoom focus assist to one of the back buttons on my om-d :shrug:

I agree with you its not that useful but its an extremely popular feature so fuji put in it the firmware, and add a "digital split screen" in it.

Fuji also respond to specific user requests such as removing the fancy review feature for continuously shot photos (it was shown in a series like an animated gif, newer firmwares changed back to the "normal way".) and also providing direct selection of the AF point.

Now I just need Fuji upgrade to off camera TTL flash.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Doesn't the AF/AE button do it (in MF mode) for any lens? I have no idea is not standard for a X mount lens. Does you 23mm have an AF/MF switch?

On the X-E1 with the 18-55mm OIS you simply choose M on the switch in the front lower right part of the body and then the AF/AE button does it. On the 23mm 1.4 (and I presume the other primes) you switch to manual mode on the lens itself by pulling back on the focus ring, which then becomes active. The focus switch and AF/AE will do nothing on the current firmware, so I assume that after the update you will snap the focus ring back, select the switch to M, and AF/AE will work as it does with the zoom lens.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

They both excel in situations where the other doesn't work great. Having them both is really handy imo.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
Is there any news on the OMD E-M5 getting the focus peaking? I thought it was coming in a firmware but there doesn't seem to have been a new one in a while.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EvilRic posted:

Is there any news on the OMD E-M5 getting the focus peaking? I thought it was coming in a firmware but there doesn't seem to have been a new one in a while.

I've never seen it mentioned. Olympus doesn't seem to be nearly as update-happy on firmware as others.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It was mentioned but not in any official capacity.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Um, holy poo poo, that A7II WITH IBIS????? I may have made a big mistake buying into m4/3 last year. I love my E-M1, but drat :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Go out and take pictures instead of worrying about then latest and greatest cameras.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

Go out and take pictures instead of worrying about then latest and greatest cameras.

No.
*furiously checks sonyrumors.blogspot.com to see if this next camera is slightly better than the last one sony released (20 minutes ago)*

In other news, I picked up an inexpensive 27mm on craigslist and now my Xpro fits into my jacket pocket, it's pretty cool.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Tbf I'm literally posting from a hike inbetween taking pics with the E-M1. But I can't help it, I'm a horrible gearhead

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Wengy posted:

Tbf I'm literally posting from a hike inbetween taking pics with the E-M1. But I can't help it, I'm a horrible gearhead

Most people are, I honestly bought my first Fuji because it looked cool as hell. Turned out to be a good and useful camera though, and to think three or four years ago I had basically given up on digital cameras.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The A7II looks to be a good halfway point between the A7 and the A7S. It doesn't have the low light performance of the A7S, but it's cheaper than the A7S so the IBIS will make up for that in certain cases. As long as you don't need super high ISO performance, I think the A7II will be a camera that people will get and be happy with for a long time. I hope it comes with the full electronic shutter option like the A7S as I have found it to be a very useful feature for shooting in quiet environments

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
It will still have better low light performance than any comparable camera in that price range. On paper it sounds like a video shooters dream camera. Can't wait to read some hands on reviews.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Haven't seen any recent discussion of the Samsung NX1, though it was released recently. Any big minuses for mostly city shots and some video (assuming video transcoding/editing will not be an issue)? Seeking some validation before I get one and then start shooting.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think anyone here likes samsung. I know the mirrorless camera's I've tried out from them have had the worst ergonomics of any mirrorless I've tried. The NX1 does look to be a more serious camera though, so maybe it's not a clown camera for clowns to use at the circus.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Haven't seen any recent discussion of the Samsung NX1, though it was released recently. Any big minuses for mostly city shots and some video (assuming video transcoding/editing will not be an issue)? Seeking some validation before I get one and then start shooting.

It seems like most posters in this thread dislike Samsung with really no experience with the camera system.

I have an NX200 along with a 20mm, 30mm, and 50-200mm. I have been happy with everything about the camera and lens. They aren't the best, but take them backpacking/kayaking with me.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Nah, I dislike samsung after testing one of their camera's out. Worst control dial placement of anything I've used :colbert:

That is literally my only complaint about the one I tried though, ymmv with ergonomics and poo poo. Think they still have more lenses than sony at least, heh.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Samsung's cameras are pretty ok if you can get around the ergonomics, but they don't authorize any 3rd party lenses and they continue to try and pair Android to their upper end NX cameras.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
I like the nx1 because Samsung uses such newfangled tech like a touchscreen and built in wifi

It isn't some fancy tech stapled to a turd software

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Also I got to play with a 70-200f/2.8 ff and holy gently caress those things are colossal

24-70 f/4 or the corresponding equivalent in aps are the only reasonable handheld lenses to take on a lightweight vacation

Elliotw2 posted:

Samsung's cameras are pretty ok if you can get around the ergonomics, but they don't authorize any 3rd party lenses and they continue to try and pair Android to their upper end NX cameras.

Any android is better than the lame excuse for software the big Japanese makers excrete

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Weird question incoming:

Can some one tell me how the Fuji X-E1 wants a memory card partitioned and formatted? I have two 64 GB memory cards which either my PC refuses to read or my X-E1 refuses to read. I can't get the cards into a state where both will read them and the Fuji documentation just says to format the card with the camera which is fair enough but it does not always work.

The closest I have come is partitioning the card on the PC using the GUID scheme and then using the X-E1 to format it. This makes the camera happy and it writes and reads to the card, but then the PC says the exfat filesystem is corrupt and refuses to mount or fix it.

If I partition/format the cards on the PC then the PC has no problem with them, but the camera says the cards are "not initialized". Formatting the cards with the camera at this point makes them unreadable by the PC and I want to shoot myself.

What the gently caress. They used to just work >:(

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I've never had that issue before - are you sure it supports the card type *and* size? Barring someone else saying they know exactly what the issue is, I'd be wary of that card.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Helicity posted:

I've never had that issue before - are you sure it supports the card type *and* size? Barring someone else saying they know exactly what the issue is, I'd be wary of that card.

I would think the same but they are standard cards and as I said they used to work fine:

Sony 64GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 R40 Memory Card (SF64UY/TQMN): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7ID9CU

The X-E1 supports SDXC up to at least 64GB.

I used them for something else a few months ago and now they are in this state. I suppose this is more of a technical/software issue so I may go bug the SH/SC people...

edit: Ah ha! I got it to work by using the MBR partition scheme and formatting with the PC. The camera happily reads the card. This is weird as if I used the PC to make the MBR scheme and then asked the camera to format it it did not work. Whatever. I am not touching it now. Crisis averted.

other people fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 23, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Malcolm XML posted:

I like the nx1 because Samsung uses such newfangled tech like a touchscreen and built in wifi

The camera market is over saturated with mounts. I don't trust the bottom 20% of the mounts and don't think they can survive in the long run.

I try to talk my coworker out of getting a NX (200? 300?), whatever thats selling for 450 right now. I looked around the Black Friday ads and told him to buy the Best Buy NEX A5000 kit for 300 (and with an optional tele zoom for extra 150). And then I found another deal of a XM1 kit for him. He wouldn't listen to me, because the A5000 doesn't have the "thing you can put on the top". He meant the flash hotshoe. Helping people make entry level SLR/mirrorless camera purchase decision is hilariously pointless.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Weird question incoming:

Can some one tell me how the Fuji X-E1 wants a memory card partitioned and formatted? I have two 64 GB memory cards which either my PC refuses to read or my X-E1 refuses to read. I can't get the cards into a state where both will read them and the Fuji documentation just says to format the card with the camera which is fair enough but it does not always work.

The closest I have come is partitioning the card on the PC using the GUID scheme and then using the X-E1 to format it. This makes the camera happy and it writes and reads to the card, but then the PC says the exfat filesystem is corrupt and refuses to mount or fix it.

If I partition/format the cards on the PC then the PC has no problem with them, but the camera says the cards are "not initialized". Formatting the cards with the camera at this point makes them unreadable by the PC and I want to shoot myself.

What the gently caress. They used to just work >:(

I took out my SDXC 64GB Sandisk card from my Galaxy phone, plugged it in the XE1, shot a few photos. Took it out and tried it on 3 different w7 machine. None could read it. Tried it on a Macbook Air, asked me to initialize it. Tried it in a Chromebook. Read just fine. My conclusion, windows is crap.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

whatever7 posted:

The camera market is over saturated with mounts. I don't trust the bottom 20% of the mounts and don't think they can survive in the long run.

This is a good point too, NX is going to be around until Samsung gets bored and tries to fit Android into something new, Sony, Fuji, Olympus, and Panasonic are long standing camera companies and want to make a lasting system.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Does anyone have one of those M-whatever (Fuji, Oly, Sony) helicoid adapters? I remember the Hawks one coming out, I see now there are some generic imitators at about 1/5th the price.

I do- I have a hawk's E mount (that I need to sell if anyone wants) and a generic Fuji mount. The generic performs exactly as well, almost impossible to tell the difference.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I don't know if I trust the battery percent on my a6000. I shot 746 images in about 30 minutes today and it was still reading at 95 percent. I just checked it needs work and it was at 94. Is the period of time the camera is on the main factor? I've really only seem battery life listed in shots and this seems way above everything I have read.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Nondescript Van posted:

I shot 746 images in about 30 minutes today

:catstare:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

What the gently caress were you shooting?

Also an almost as big battery drain on the mirrorless cameras is the rear screen, so if you just burst out 3 sd cards worth of images it could last longer.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Only 50% are keepers.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Reminder that Samsung has more NX primes than Canon has EF-S primes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Malcolm XML posted:

The NX1 is legitimately technologically ahead of the rest of the mirrorless market in at least one way - the sensor. It has the highest resolution APS-C sensor available on the market and the *only* BSI APS-C sensor on the market as well.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Mightaswell posted:

Reminder that Samsung has more NX primes than Canon has EF-S primes.

That's a terrible example since there was only one EF-S prime until last month.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I hate Samsung's customer service, dealing with them as a partner on tech projects, and my Galaxy S phone is the worst phone I've ever owned. I also question their commitment to photography. My reasoning is at least 50% personal bias, and even if it were the best camera on the market with the best lenses, I wouldn't use it.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 23, 2014

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

grack posted:

The NX1 is legitimately technologically ahead of the rest of the mirrorless market in at least one way - the sensor. It has the highest resolution APS-C sensor available on the market and the *only* BSI APS-C sensor on the market as well.

For now at least, Sony has had BSI + stacked CMOS for a while in small sensors. Wait a few months and maybe the umpteenth iteration of the a7 will have it.

Sony's also apparently patterned a color shifting sensor which cycles through R/G/B color filters so no more Bayer pattern weirdness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Elliotw2 posted:

What the gently caress were you shooting?

Also an almost as big battery drain on the mirrorless cameras is the rear screen, so if you just burst out 3 sd cards worth of images it could last longer.

I am doing a gigapixel panorama of the Atlanta skyline. Had to be sure I got all of it.

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 23, 2014