Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Why have I not been recommending timing belts on Subarus this whole time?! Talk about gravy. Today I uncovered my new goldmine. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Helped a buddy swap the brakes on his S3. He wanted me to see if i figured his alignment was off a bit?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Preoptopus posted:

Why have I not been recommending timing belts on Subarus this whole time?! Talk about gravy. Today I uncovered my new goldmine. :)

Every 105k, or immediately (and do the cam/crank seals) if there's oil pouring out of the timing cover :suicide:

I need to do that very soon now. Even though I put the belt on like 4k miles ago in August. Some moron decided to not put the new cam seals in even though he ordered them for the build and one of the cam pulleys was even removed. DAMMIT.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I'm debating on not replacing the cam seals on my Miata if they're not leaking when I do the TB because I wanna lock the cams and be done with it. Is that wrong and am I dumb?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I didnt do the cam seals on my EJ25 since they werent leaking and so far so good.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Roll the dice. Do you trust your ability to do seals without boogering them up? I didn't, and they looked like they weren't leaking, so I left em the gently caress alone, then they started leaking a month later :downs:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha. I know the crank seal is probably leaking so I have that to look forward to. But if the cams aren't leaking gently caress that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

kastein posted:

Roll the dice. Do you trust your ability to do seals without boogering them up? I didn't, and they looked like they weren't leaking, so I left em the gently caress alone, then they started leaking a month later :downs:

I did the TB what, 2 years ago or whatever it was when I put the Sams engine in. No leaks yet but I probably just jinxed myself.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
AI really seems to like leaking and blowing seals.

myself included

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
And that's why I'm banned from the zoo.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

cursedshitbox posted:

AI really seems to like leaking and blowing seals.

Ask me about redoing the cam seals on my Subaru... Twice

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 213 days!)

Goober Peas posted:

Or pull the fuse for the fuel pump and then crank the engine

This is what I was planning on doing, but I don't have a usable schematic, the stickers are missing, and gently caress trying to pull them at semi-random with sideways near-freezing rain.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bajaha posted:

Ask me about redoing the cam seals on my Subaru... Twice

Rear main blew on my old fastback, so I replaced it. To find the crankshaft endplay shims werent set correctly after . And then I pinched the new seal on the second reinstall. On the same day :suicide:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh god, ask me about the rear intake gasket on the C10. I think I replaced it 5 times so far, this time seems to be holding up so far since its been more than a week since Ive done it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I got really good at replacing the transmission output shaft seal on E30's. Took me a few times before I realized it was supposed to sit flush with the case and if you push it in all the way it blocks flow and makes a mess. Even better if you have on installed wrong on the track in a gutted car with a little rust the pressure differential will suck the dripping oil into the back seat.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I still haven't got around to replacing the brand new, blown rear main seal on the Kia. "well my assembled bottom end is back from the machine shop but the rear seal journal has a groove in it. gently caress waiting for a speedy sleeve to come in from Rock, I'll just press it in a little deeper so the lip misses the groove!" :downs:
Well, I must have either cocked the seal or not gone far enough and still found the groove, because the prick is blowing oil out that seal like nobody's business. And since I don't want to soak a brand new clutch in Rotella, I haven't driven the drat thing since July.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

goatse guy posted:

And that's why I'm banned from the zoo.

But officer I was jsut eating icecream!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fart Pipe posted:

Oh god, ask me about the rear intake gasket on the C10. I think I replaced it 5 times so far, this time seems to be holding up so far since its been more than a week since Ive done it.

You mean the rear china wall? I thought the conventional wisdom was to just discard the gasket and use a big gob of RTV in its place.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Tommychu posted:

I still haven't got around to replacing the brand new, blown rear main seal on the Kia. "well my assembled bottom end is back from the machine shop but the rear seal journal has a groove in it. gently caress waiting for a speedy sleeve to come in from Rock, I'll just press it in a little deeper so the lip misses the groove!" :downs:
Well, I must have either cocked the seal or not gone far enough and still found the groove, because the prick is blowing oil out that seal like nobody's business. And since I don't want to soak a brand new clutch in Rotella, I haven't driven the drat thing since July.

Whatever, call it a wet clutch upgrade or just keep it running all the time, the centrifugal force will fling the oil off the flywheel like a giant slinger and it will never get to the clutch :v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So since I was trying to be optimistic about 2014 my great, great aunt died on Sunday which isnt that crazy since she was 95 and had Alzheimers for 4-5 years. She was the nicest, sweetest person in the whole world and it sucks but we knew it was coming.

Then yesterday my dad totalled his 2009 Roush 427R Mustang. It only had a little over 10k miles on it and if hes telling me the truth he wasnt even loving around with it at the time. He spun out though and crashed backwards through the median and then spun around and crashed the front into a tree. Its so, so totalled.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
drat, dude, that sucks. It could have been a lot worse, so I'm glad that was all that happened. Bright side is it looks like there's a spot in the stable for a new GT350.

Sorry about your great great aunt, but at least you got to prepare yourself for it. Doesn't make it really any less hard, though.

E: VVVV Do you have working PCV? Sounds kind of like the crankcase is over-pressurizing or something.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Raluek posted:

You mean the rear china wall? I thought the conventional wisdom was to just discard the gasket and use a big gob of RTV in its place.

Oh I tried that too, its just been nothing but sadness until this time. I made my own gaskets out of cork and glued them down with indian head shellac, let that dry then put the intake on and let it dry again, then torqued it down. So far so good!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Well my dad still has the 85 5.0 I sold him years ago so depending on what happens with insurance the SC 4.6 from the Roush might go into that, which would be tits on a ritz.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

That poor car. Goddamn. I'm pretty sure they're going to want to take anything useful if they total it out. They even wanted what was left of my completely destroyed car. There may have been about $500 worth of usable parts- mostly the interior.

So, since it was cold as poo poo and I finally got the right plug, I decided to do a bit of work on the chainsaw. Nope. No spark. Removed the kill switch, still no good. Need to check the ignition module and flywheel- but the cold outside has left my hands fairly useless, which is why I didn't do the fuel filter on the Cheby earlier today. Another wasted day. :sigh:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Raluek posted:

drat, dude, that sucks. It could have been a lot worse, so I'm glad that was all that happened. Bright side is it looks like there's a spot in the stable for a new GT350.

Sorry about your great great aunt, but at least you got to prepare yourself for it. Doesn't make it really any less hard, though.

E: VVVV Do you have working PCV? Sounds kind of like the crankcase is over-pressurizing or something.

Yea I actually put in a PCV system. Its an old block that had a road draft tube but I converted it.

e: Im just glad my old man is ok, with that car and the way he gets carried away it could have been much much worse.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea I actually put in a PCV system. Its an old block that had a road draft tube but I converted it.

Yeah that's why I asked. Hmm, I got no idea then. I guess it holds, so who cares, right?

What's involved in blocking off the road draft tube? I guess someone's probably made a plug or something that bolts on there. My PO just hacked off all but like 6" of the tube, then stuck a PCV valve in the valve cover and called it good. No wonder it spat oil all over everything.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Holy poo poo you guys are ridiculous and amazing. I cant even begin to say how much pressure you guys took off me last night. Ive now covered the share of rent I wasnt going to be able to as well as get up to date on all theutilities that had been slipping behind. As well as a bit left over. I'm in such a more secure spot now all thanks to all of you holy poo poo

I was a bit late to the game but since the bills are all done, get yourself a nice steak dinner or something on me. Or lots of booze, w/e. :v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Raluek posted:

Yeah that's why I asked. Hmm, I got no idea then. I guess it holds, so who cares, right?

What's involved in blocking off the road draft tube? I guess someone's probably made a plug or something that bolts on there. My PO just hacked off all but like 6" of the tube, then stuck a PCV valve in the valve cover and called it good. No wonder it spat oil all over everything.

Hah, it was a project. I found a rubber stopper that fit into the hole where the RDT went into the block and cut a hole to put the PCV valve into the rubber stopper. It doesnt sound like a big deal now but finding just the right size stopper took some time. Then I just hooked the PCV hose to the same spot on the carb that the vacuum brakes would have hooked to. My brakes are manual.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

iForge posted:

I was a bit late to the game but since the bills are all done, get yourself a nice steak dinner or something on me. Or lots of booze, w/e. :v:

Yea Im late too but I gave enough to buy a couple 6 packs of Lagunitas since that beer is my and 13 inches bond.

e: and like a big jerk he can get the Sumpin Sumpin Wild over there on the west coast and Im jealous. Its been like a year since I could buy it here :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fart Pipe posted:

Hah, it was a project. I found a rubber stopper that fit into the hole where the RDT went into the block and cut a hole to put the PCV valve into the rubber stopper. It doesnt sound like a big deal now but finding just the right size stopper took some time. Then I just hooked the PCV hose to the same spot on the carb that the vacuum brakes would have hooked to. My brakes are manual.

Oh yeah, you have the early valve covers, too. I guess there's no difference between the brake inlet and pcv one? I think they both get manifold vacuum. Guess that works out, since the PB inlet is even on the rear of the carb on Edelbrocks. Good deal.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fart Pipe posted:

Well my dad still has the 85 5.0 I sold him years ago so depending on what happens with insurance the SC 4.6 from the Roush might go into that, which would be tits on a ritz.

That would be completely obscene. Hope your dad feels up to it, he's probably gonna be hurting tomorrow.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Raluek posted:

Oh yeah, you have the early valve covers, too. I guess there's no difference between the brake inlet and pcv one? I think they both get manifold vacuum. Guess that works out, since the PB inlet is even on the rear of the carb on Edelbrocks. Good deal.

Yea I have the no-holes valve covers with the tall oil fill on the front of the manifold and both just get straight manifold vacuum.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That would be completely obscene. Hope your dad feels up to it, he's probably gonna be hurting tomorrow.

He said hes not hurting, not physically :(

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Fart Pipe posted:

He said hes not hurting, not physically :(

Thankfully it was a recent car, so he wasn't considered part of the crumple zone. It sucks, but hes still around to lament its passing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Hey 13" I'm mostly a lurker on these here forums, but I really feel for you, as a matter of fact, years ago, during a painful breakup that bears quite a bit of similarity to your own, including watching someone I loved try their hardest to kill themselves simply because they didn't think they looked the way they should, I was aimlessly wandering around Ballard, at night, when it was ~25F out, in nothing but a T-shirt. I ended up collapsing in the parking lot of of a McDonald's, right next to Firestone Tires in Ballard from exhaustion coupled with a respiratory infection. This led me down a road that's haunted me for the last five years, poo poo me out on the wrong side of the country, and generally led me astray. I also worked at the large grocery store one block to the west of where you worked, after losing the job I actually liked during the recession.

This being said, I do have a reasonable income, part of which is going to you, because god knows paying rent in a decent portion of Seattle on a Firestone salary has to be loving rough, plus drinking poo poo beer in Seattle is a loving crime, so go grab some Naked City, or just sit back with a bottle of Arrogant Bastard, and enjoy yourself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a bad night. Not like, 13" bad but it was bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's always a good night when you realize your skillset tops out at "waiter in a lovely cafe."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My diabetic co-worker decided it would be a good idea to ignore his reading, not take anything, go out without eating for ~8hrs (to our works party) and then drink several pints. Woke up in hospital this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfHzzy6T9to

• Locked thread