Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Panniculus Rift posted:

I found the Book of revelations in the first floor item room, so I ditched the D6 and went for finally getting four cubes of meat. Famine, Pestilence and War all gave me cubes of meat.I was expecting the boss on Utero I to give me a ball of bandages or a pony instead, but the game trolled me even harder. I din't even get a horseman, I fought Mr Fred... :cripes: WTF game? I used the book of revelations twice that floor.

This happened to me once with Bandage Girl. But thankfully, as of a few minutes ago, I have Meat Boy and Bandage Girl! I have five items left to collect. Is there any kind of grid or whatever like there was for the last game to see what they are? I know Black Lotus, Raw Liver, and 1-Up but I don't know the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

wocobob posted:

Is it just me, or is Eve's Mascara not that great when it's on its own? The super slow tears are really difficult to deal with.

Yeah Eve's Mascara and Dead Onion are two of those items that can be awesome but if you pick them up naked they're horrible.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jibo posted:

This happened to me once with Bandage Girl. But thankfully, as of a few minutes ago, I have Meat Boy and Bandage Girl! I have five items left to collect. Is there any kind of grid or whatever like there was for the last game to see what they are? I know Black Lotus, Raw Liver, and 1-Up but I don't know the other two.

http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Collection_Page

I'm still missing Meat Boy/Bandage Girl, but after that I'm a 1up Mushroom/Holy Grail/Missing No./the Bandage Girl unlock from Platinum God.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I finally beat the Solar System Challenge. The Battery + Krampus' head took me through everything until womb 1, where I got lucky as hell and found the bible. Never doing that again, holy poo poo.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
Welp I finished everything on hard as The Lost. Unlocked all the items.

All except Godhead??? Not just the trophy (as trophies only work when they want to), but the unlock itself.

Redid Dark Room on hard to maybe make it come through. Nothing.

Guess I will never have that item.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Power of Pecota posted:

http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Collection_Page

I'm still missing Meat Boy/Bandage Girl, but after that I'm a 1up Mushroom/Holy Grail/Missing No./the Bandage Girl unlock from Platinum God.

yesssss

Boomerang and Skeleton Key. I must have gotten Boomerang in a challenge and lord knows I never bought it after that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I wonder if Ed will buff The Lost. You would think not but excessive whining got him to buff Samson. As I recall from 1 heart to 1 heart and 1 soul heart, so not much, but hey.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would rather ed nerf the behaviors of certain enemies instead of buffing the gimmick character that's supposed to be difficult and isn't necessary for platinum god, but hey, that's just me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

Due to randomness Eden can be one of the characters that you will want to reload with the most unless you are hella determined to win no matter what.
Which is exactly why Eden tokens exist and are a good mechanic. As it is it's an actual challenge rather than the "endlessly reload until you get something stupid" character it would be otherwise. I mean people apparently do that with regular characters, imagine how bad it would be for a character where you get 2 treasure rooms at once without even leaving the starting room.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yeeearrrrgghhh get hosed The Lost, I am your god and master! :black101:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Holy poo poo, finally beat Mega Satan. That fight gets ridiculous, like, holy poo poo. The Polaroid, gimp mask, and fannypack saved my rear end. The dry-baby or whatever helped a lot, or at least activated every few seconds. :v:

It was a ridiculously overpowered Eden run from the beginning though, started out with Ipecac and Holy Mantle was in the first item room.

As for the ending Guppy being in the chest with Isaac, :(

Maybe now I should get around to unlocking the Lost. :unsmigghh:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Beat The Chest with The Lost. Polyphemus, Mom's Knife, and Book of Shadows is a deadly combo. Add to that nine lives, Guppy's Collar to cover my small mistakes/those drat red guys in the womb, and Lil Brimstone for long range attacks. Also had the shield rune which I didn't end up using. I was gonna use it during the later parts of the Boss Rush, but I done hosed up and got killed by Monstro. So hopefully one more good Lost run and I'll be done with him.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I'm very disappointed that quad shot doesn't work with triple shot. Having them both at once would be goddamn amazing.

Oh well. Quad shot mom's knife completely destroys everything anyway. Mom died in one attack, the heart died in one attack, and Isaac and ??? only took two each. They still died before they could even move. Having quad shot appeared to reduce my range, which actually worked perfectly with the knife since it made it easier to land a perfect shot with all four knives hovering over an enemy.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
So I just tried the Purist challenge for the first time, got Guppy mode by basement 2 due to devil deals and golden chests, then the bosses proceeded to drop the mark, the mega mushroom, crickets head, the coathanger, and the halo. Killed Mom's heart in about 5 seconds. Cathedral opened up so I killed Isaac with the chaos card because why not. I'm happy to finish the challenge so quickly but also kind of disappointed because I still haven't gotten such an overpowered item set during normal play. Anyway, game is tons of fun, but I'm dreading having to get the unlocks from hard mode and with difficult characters since I still feel pretty bad at it. This is despite playing the original for 120 hours and beating the chest with every character, it just feels like Rebirth is much harder unless you get a broken combination of items.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Most interesting way to cheese The Family Man challenge: It started with Tammy's Head, after a few shop visits got the 9 Volt and the Habit, and the icing on the cake was the Death's Scythe deal, so I got recharging piercing tears, also sustained by Fanny Pack and Little Chad. I managed to do It Lives without damage too, put the strength of the combo into perspective. Just left with the Glass Cannon now, had one failed attempt when Curse of Darkness ruined my ability to see the crosshairs of Epic Fetus, got as far as Utero 1 so I'm happy with my first attempt.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
FFS just had a run aborted in the Cathedral solely cause I had 12 heart containers and couldn't pick up any of the many soul hearts I had lying around thanks to the relic, no red heart drops to boot.

In fact the abundance of heart containers started screwing me up even earlier cause I couldn't fit enough soul hearts to avoid damage in any of the three final floors, locking me out of the very devil deals I had intended to to trade the heart containers at in the first place.

Well, it still counts as a win I guess.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

FFS just had a run aborted in the Cathedral solely cause I had 12 heart containers and couldn't pick up any of the many soul hearts I had lying around thanks to the relic, no red heart drops to boot.

In fact the abundance of heart containers started screwing me up even earlier cause I couldn't fit enough soul hearts to avoid damage in any of the three final floors, locking me out of the very devil deals I had intended to to trade the heart containers at in the first place.

Well, it still counts as a win I guess.

I kind of had a similar run yesterday, where I had the Prayer Card at the same time as Dark Bum and The Relic and kept collecting red hearts in expectation of trading them all for devil deals, but it just never materialized, I didn't get a single devil room. I just couldn't make up my mind whether to ditch the Prayer Card and eventually ended up with 11 red heart containers and racing against the dark bum for any red heart I could find. Died in Sheol once red hearts stopped dropping and I couldn't collect any of the million soul hearts lying around. It sucked.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Slime posted:

I'm very disappointed that quad shot doesn't work with triple shot. Having them both at once would be goddamn amazing.

Oh well. Quad shot mom's knife completely destroys everything anyway. Mom died in one attack, the heart died in one attack, and Isaac and ??? only took two each. They still died before they could even move. Having quad shot appeared to reduce my range, which actually worked perfectly with the knife since it made it easier to land a perfect shot with all four knives hovering over an enemy.
I'm not a big fan of quad shot mom's knife. With mom's knife killing bosses is a cinch already, it's the normal rooms that are a challenge and with extremely slow charge that only makes things harder. Gotta be real patient with those exploding flies. Does quad shot + polyphemus still have no further tears down penalty?

20/20 is my ongoing disappointment. Quad shot + 20/20 does nothing. Technology + 20/20 does nothing. Brimstone + 20/20 does nothing. I guess that's how 20/20 is balanced? Doubles your damage if you have regular tears but has no interactions with any other tear effects; it's either an insane upgrade or entirely useless.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I find that an overwhelming majority of the time, the game is easier with no heart containers, so as to guarantee the polaroid shield every hit. So much more durability.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, I usually try to not have more than 5 red hearts at any time unless I have some guaranteed healing method. Once I actively used two Health Down pills just so I could get more soul/black hearts.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Sanctum posted:

God I love the Jera rune. If only I could have found a 48 hour energy pill on that floor, then I would have infinite judgements and money + spirit hearts. Of course the judgements I got paid out with 7/8 garbage items and then I find a re-roll rune right away on the next floor. :argh:

I had my own Blank Card + Jera setup on the Cathedral a few days ago. I gave up the D6 for the Blank Card early on. In the Cathedral, I found a Jera rune and then a secret room with a battery. I duped it, cleared a few rooms to recharge the blank card, then duped those two batteries so that i could sustain the duping.

In the interests of safety I also duped a bunch of health.

Do I have enough spare charges? Better make sure.

I played a spike room until it gave me a golden chest, then started duping keys.

Time to dupe the chest. I decided not to make too many here because it would make movement difficult once all the loot started spilling out.

Turns out duped chests contain the same loot. I wasn't really interested in anything except cards/runes, which Ace of Spades gave me independent of the duped chest's contents.

I had to hurt myself on the spikes to use up those loving hearts and get them out of my way.

I set up different rooms around the Cathedral containing useful cards. I had a stash of fool cards to get me close to the secret room full of batteries, and a pile of emperor cards north of the secret room to get me close to the room of chests. Soon I had piles of Wheel of Fortune and Temperance cards. Finally I got Judgement and began duping many many extras.

The regular beggars and demon beggars gave me a bunch of items. What I really wanted was the Starter Deck from the shop item pool because that would let me hold both Jera and another card/rune, ideally Perthro to reroll items. Unfortunately I never got the Starter Deck OR Perthro.

I popped a bunch of wheel of fortune cards looking for fortune tellers. I figured maybe if I exhausted the pool of trinkets the goddamn thing would give me my perthro rune eventually.

Unfortunately the game just crashed once the fortune teller ran out of different trinkets to give me. That room with the trinkets in it was about 3/4 full and I had a couple trinkets lying around other rooms as well. If I got a Perthro rune I could have gone hog wild on the piles of pedestal items that the judgements and blood machines gave me. I was able to continue my game and went to the Chest, where I found that duped chests do NOT give you the same item. I assume it works like Ace of Spades where the items are chosen independently of the chests.

It's also worth noting that you can't Jera Jeras. I accidentally hit Q instead of Space and used up my Jera once, but by that point I had two spares from opening chests and playing fortune tellers so it didn't matter.

CaptainWinky fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 23, 2014

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Hail Satan.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So what's the trick/bug with unlocking The Lost? I tried it last night, and died to a brimestone attack, because the wiki said it had to be a projectile. I saw people in this thread say you have to die by contact with 2nd stage Satan instead though. (I didn't use seeds on the Azazel fight.)

That, or I messed up because I went with Judas so many times way past the mom fight because I forgot what I was doing, got overpowered, and was nearly at Sheol before I restarted the game.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Had a final Eden run last night to clear the Chest unlock. Started with Capricorn, then got Halo first floor. Then Magic Mushroom from bombing shrooms later. Gimme ALL THE STATS

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

IUG posted:

So what's the trick/bug with unlocking The Lost? I tried it last night, and died to a brimestone attack, because the wiki said it had to be a projectile. I saw people in this thread say you have to die by contact with 2nd stage Satan instead though. (I didn't use seeds on the Azazel fight.)

That, or I messed up because I went with Judas so many times way past the mom fight because I forgot what I was doing, got overpowered, and was nearly at Sheol before I restarted the game.

you have to do it all the way from the beginning if you fail one

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Check out my sweet entourage! I wound up getting the unicorn shard in the chest and just activated it and parked next to ??? while the orbitals killed him in 4 seconds.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

http://en.seoi.net/sokumen/?n=Isaac

It's true.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Wow. So I had a really good Samson run going - Quad Shot, Proptosis, and a bunch of range and damage ups. I hit the boss rush, and saw an item I'd never seen before, so obviously I grabbed it. It was IPECAC. I think from that point on in the run, the only thing that ever damaged me was my own tears (which admittedly they did on a regular basis). The Lamb died in four shots after I cleared out the entire Dark Room because I could.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone know some good methods for upping the chances of getting angel rooms? It seems that even if you do get one you're not guaranteed to get one next time, and it seems like a lot of the "satanic" items decrease your chances even if they don't say evil up explicitly.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Is there any item beside the goat head that will cause angel/Devil rooms to spawn on consecutive floors? This has happened to me on a number of runs now- getting a special room on basement II as well as Caves I, and so on.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone know some good methods for upping the chances of getting angel rooms? It seems that even if you do get one you're not guaranteed to get one next time, and it seems like a lot of the "satanic" items decrease your chances even if they don't say evil up explicitly.

Pretty sure that anything that says 'Faith Up' works, I think that having plenty of soul hearts and no evil hearts also helps, I also noticed that refusing at least one deal with the devil seems to greatly increase the chances of angel rooms showing up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In the original game, having the Bible with you increased your chance of getting an angel room even if you had taken devil room items, but according to the wiki that part of it has been relegated to the Bible Tract trinket. Also according to the wiki, the Goat Head will make angel rooms spawn instead of devil rooms if you're eligible for them so if you manage to get one outside of a devil room (gold chest, pedestal item etc) that would probably work.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Goddamn do I hate Technology. Tech 2 is at least decently powerful but Tech 1 is weak as gently caress, the hit area is buggy as hell, and it doesn't stack worth poo poo. After getting Technology I then picked up Magnetic and Homing tears excepting to make that piece of poo poo a little better but....nothing. What a complete waste.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Poizen Jam posted:

Is there any item beside the goat head that will cause angel/Devil rooms to spawn on consecutive floors? This has happened to me on a number of runs now- getting a special room on basement II as well as Caves I, and so on.

There's nothing stopping devil and angel rooms spawning on consecutive floors.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

So it turns out Sharp Plug doesn't work if your items charge isn't completely empty. I want a refund. :mad:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Poizen Jam posted:

If you use the Book of Belial you're guaranteed a devil or angel room on that floor.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Had my first Satan kill yesterday (I know, I suck at this game.)

Samson, with Tech 2, Wiggle Worm, a bunch of damage ups and Book of Revelations, and then I turned into Guppy (collar, tail and I forget what the third one was.) I almost died outright to It Lives but killed Satan with barely any trouble at all.

I really didn't give Samson a good enough shake before this. I love the playstyle! I tend to get hit a lot, too, so the Bloody Lust perk works well for me.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 23, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The generic non-weighted angel/devil room spawning mechanics are also the same as in the previous game, by which I mean, taking no damage on the floor itself and/or the boss of the floor massively boosts the chance of one appearing. Then after one DOES appear the chance goes back down, but not as fast as it goes up. The Lost is basically always guaranteed to have a devil room on floor 2 because taking no damage for both floors and both bosses boosts the chance to like 99%.

That only applies to devil rooms, which are the basic spawn. When the game decides to spawn a devil room it then rolls a totally different percent chance to become an angel room instead.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 23, 2014

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
I kept not getting angel rooms, faith up items seemed to have no effect, and then the time I got mom's purse and picked up two evil up trinkets I immediately got an angel room.

gently caress this game. I love this game, but gently caress this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Yeah anyone saying devil and angel rooms have a 50/50 shot of appearing is full of poo poo. I've seen maybe ten angel rooms to a hundred or so devil rooms. And it was like that in WotL.