Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Following suggestion from the thread, I tried RB Ground Forces. It's usually five minutes of not shooting anyone and getting 50 lions. Which is preferable to Event RB airplanes, which is 20 minutes of not doing anything, then getting shot down by AI. On the other side, going on the sides of the map is gold, both in comedy and lions.

Now, Arcade Groundforces is my love... Well, I'm only up to Pz III Ausf. J, so that might change in higher tiers. But yesterday, I spent neard drat 9 minutes with my Pz III sitting behind the tree line near the "right" side spawn point (I don't ever remember the last time I spawned on the left) in Poland, exchanging fire with guys from the "left" spawn.. Among the more fun moments was seeying your own tank deflect a shot while flying a bomber and only dying to enemy bomber because my tank was no longer serviceable. Seriously, I took so much fire in that match, probably everything was broken.

In the end, I killed 7 and my team lost. As it always happens when I'm the best player in team. It's kind of dispiriting really.

On a related note, loving bombers on mono point maps. I think I spawned in a Wellington once (Hawaii or whatever that tropical map is) and the there was a narrow passage between two rocks just filled with enemy tanks trying to cap the point. I bombed 5 and 1 friendly.

Pity I still suck in dogfighting. Must have read OP wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Asproigerosis posted:

Hmm, this sim joystick stuff, is it basically just 3rd party mouse aim?

It is basically a virtual joystick. You move your mouse to the left and your plane will roll left, spin out of control and crash into the ground because you did a too hard turn at too low speeds.

For real now, it has improved quite a lot and is quite some fun even with a mouse.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Asproigerosis posted:

What is the proper way to play the heavy fighters/attackers? They can't kill tanks, and are too slow and plodding to dog fight or intercept bombers. Or am I just misunderstanding.

Basically I just want to roleplay my Me 410 fantasies

Many heavy fighters do fine in RB, and they can certainly do well in the earlier tiers of AB. The Me-410 B6/R3 does especially well and will happily kill tanks, bombers and (mostly bad) fighters.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Michaellaneous posted:

For real now, it has improved quite a lot and is quite some fun even with a mouse.

I dare say it's that good enough to allow people to forego the purchase of a joystick to get their feets wet in SB. Jump in the Me410 A1/U2 or any other twin engine fighter with a rear gunner (for added situational awareness). And then have fun. Just keep in mind to practice takeoffs in test flight. Hint: Throttle up slowly.

It might make the transition easier since mouse joy is easier to use than a real joystick. Centring the cursor will level out your plane, you also won't need to gently caress around with trim etc. I'd label it more like mouse aim "light" than mouse joy.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

I want to play this tank so bad in a game. Why couldn't the Swedish make some Proto-Frankenstein tank during WW2. :(

Anyways, yes - I'm using the virtual joystick because I'm too :effort: about connecting my actual stick and rebinding it, and I gotta say it is not bad - just be VERY CAREFUL when turning.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Azran posted:

I want to play this tank so bad in a game. Why couldn't the Swedish make some Proto-Frankenstein tank during WW2. :(

Anyways, yes - I'm using the virtual joystick because I'm too :effort: about connecting my actual stick and rebinding it, and I gotta say it is not bad - just be VERY CAREFUL when turning.
Turrets are overrated, increase suspension power :black101:

:sweden:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Azran posted:

Why couldn't the Swedish make some Proto-Frankenstein tank during WW2.

Since we're talking ground forces it's more like Vietnam War, going by what they've listed as coming to Russia.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
I kind of wish they would extend it to include second generation jet fighters, flinging derpy missiles around, their small and ineffective warheads and seekers and having to get stuck in an awkward (because most of these planes turn like rear end) gunfight anyway owns.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 23, 2014

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Plan Z posted:

-I'm guessing they're going to stick with the first test turret on the T32, or that thing will be unbalanced as hell. I know WoT is a bad barometer to go by, but yeesh.

That looks like the second one with the mantlet.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Shanakin posted:

I kind of wish they would extend it to include second generation jet fighters, flinging derpy missiles around, their small and ineffective warheads and seekers and having to get stuck in an awkward (because most of these planes turn like rear end) gunfight anyway owns.

Give me the F-104 to live out my lawndarting dreams!

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So at last I have the engine upgrades for the Tempest II.

Oh. My. God.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Machine guns are awesome: http://coub.com/view/4382q
Warning big .gif in the Spoiler

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Azran posted:

http://aw.my.com/us/

Fairly certain I saw an S-Tank in one of their trailers or screens.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 23, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is that game any good?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Is that game any good?

It's a 1to1 clone of WoT.
So No.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
I got setup for playing sim I'll look out for goons playing to walk me through some of the nuanced aspects of the mode. I've so far just gotten into some test flights and got used to how it all feels, I like it so far but would still like to have some hand holding for the first little while.

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly
Trip report from a newbie sim player:

1. It's still so god drat hard hitting people I cry myself to sleep. Just did some games, hit people several times this time but with 7.7 mm's from the spitfire, poo poo just doesn't go down.

2. More linearity - no .. WAY MORE. I'm about to max it out, and I still have huge issues with the pitch. It bobs up and down so insanely bad - and I just can't figure out how to aim smoothly. Targets flying almost level in front of me pretty much has nothing to fear.

3. Hitting more deflection shots - pretty awesome, and if I just had cannons instead of piddly mentioned 7.7s I could probably have murdered something pretty good.

So yeah ... practice practice. The whole joystick setup still pains me though. I hope real pilots didnt have their planes darting and bobbing up and down like mine is.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Zsinjeh posted:

Turrets are overrated, increase suspension power :black101:

:sweden:

All my friends know the low rider
The low rider is a little higher

S-Tank is one of my favorite tanks, it looks like some sci-fi command and conquer bullshit. :allears:

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
The russians could learn about a new concept from that tank....gun depression.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Suppose that I was insane enough to try the He-163 with it's RB battle rank of 7.0. Is there anything in particular that I should/shouldn't do with it?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

It is basically a virtual joystick. You move your mouse to the left and your plane will roll left, spin out of control and crash into the ground because you did a too hard turn at too low speeds.

The virtual joystick is good but I can't get a handle on using the keyboard for rudder use. :smith:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Plan Z posted:

Or at least stick to arcade mode until they realize their stupid 5v5 RB mode is dumb, or that it should at least always be on Kursk.

Play sim tanks. :colbert:

Going indirect fire mode in the su-122 is pretty fun gimmick. Mostly ineffectual due to the reload time but hilarious when you get a direct hit without needing line of sight to your target.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I have you now - what? Noooooooooooooooooo

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Asproigerosis posted:

What is the proper way to play the heavy fighters/attackers? They can't kill tanks, and are too slow and plodding to dog fight or intercept bombers. Or am I just misunderstanding.

Basically I just want to roleplay my Me 410 fantasies

Head on everything always.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Plan Z posted:

Yeah. With AP belts and careful aim, they can kill, but you have to be surgical with your shots. The general idea is that these kinds of tanks either kill by repeatedly making GBS threads on the one weak spot with really quick shooting, or by knocking out an enemy's ability to fight. If you can't damage a tank, then you'll at least be the toast of the team when you make some big beast's cannon look like a banana peel.

My goodness it's getting hot in here. A few things:

-I'm wondering how the M15 is going to work. Hopefully, it'll be like an AA version of the T-35, where you can shoot the 37mm and .50s separately. Mostly just because I want to.
-M103 in tonk HD yes.
-Shooting in the M3 med. is gonna be kind of wonky in sniper mode.
-I'm guessing they're going to stick with the first test turret on the T32, or that thing will be unbalanced as hell. I know WoT is a bad barometer to go by, but yeesh.

The thing that gets me really excited about American ground forces is that on some of the later tanks we will have crazy long range high caliber guns with actual gun depression and even stabilizers, all with Russian levels of mobility. It's going to be nice. I just hope it means more people will play sim tanks once that comes out.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Lee Outrageous posted:

The thing that gets me really excited about American ground forces is that on some of the later tanks we will have crazy long range high caliber guns with actual gun depression and even stabilizers, all with Russian levels of mobility. It's going to be nice. I just hope it means more people will play sim tanks once that comes out.

And the best bit will be those same American pubbies driving down the BR of a 1950 tank to 1942 levels.

He163 Trip report: as stock it sucks against a standard BR7-ish allied/Russian lineup. Doesn't seem to have the power/energy retention to energy fight a P80, and it certainly can't turn fight one. On the plus side I accidentally smacked into a tree and died and thus deprived a pubbie of killing me.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Lee Outrageous posted:

I want to play American tanks so bad when they come out, but then I remember that everyone else does too. I might just bet on US tanks ending up like US planes and enjoy the diaspora of terrible players. Plus if Gaijin follows through on their claims about making things like the IR scope on the Panther II work, that could be interesting in sim mode.

Why do I hold onto such deluded hopes.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Mr Darcy posted:

And the best bit will be those same American pubbies driving down the BR of a 1950 tank to 1942 levels.

He163 Trip report: as stock it sucks against a standard BR7-ish allied/Russian lineup. Doesn't seem to have the power/energy retention to energy fight a P80, and it certainly can't turn fight one. On the plus side I accidentally smacked into a tree and died and thus deprived a pubbie of killing me.

Even with upgrades the He-162 is bad. It just does not have any elevator authority anymore. It used to be somewhat good in that if you could bait someone into turnfighting you had a reasonable chance to kill them, not so anymore. It probably belongs in the same BR as the yak 15.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
http://gfycat.com/FewReflectingCorydorascatfish

Thanks Muhlump!

Subyng
May 4, 2013
There really ought to be a way to have like...preferential queuing of tanks/planes in RB and SM. Right now the North American GF population isn't high enough to support SM battles, and when they add a third nation it's going to be even harder for the MM to make matches unless they give us fictional US-vs-USSR battles. But if you had a way to queue up multiple tanks such that the MM would grab whatever tanks are available to make the biggest match as fast as possible, that would alleviate the waiting times by a huge amount I think. Like, say of 20 players waiting, 10 queue up US tanks, 7 queue up Soviet tanks and there are 3 German tanks. MM can't make a match with US-vs-USSR so it sees if any of those US or USSR players have queued up German tanks as their secondary, and if there are enough, it will create a US-Ger or USSR-Ger match.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The following video runs a bit long, but it's effective in demonstrating how zeros are completely loving awesome, and yet they can't outturn their peers when flying at 350+ kph.

The 109 still dies but effectively drags me to the deck, because he outturns me until he doesn't. The Jugs are kind of dumb, but I still can't turn onto and keep up with the one that Woop gets, because of compression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXbxv0T3ChA

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

The following video runs a bit long, but it's effective in demonstrating how zeros are completely loving awesome, and yet they can't outturn their peers when flying at 350+ kph.

The 109 still dies but effectively drags me to the deck, because he outturns me until he doesn't. The Jugs are kind of dumb, but I still can't turn onto and keep up with the one that Woop gets, because of compression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXbxv0T3ChA

Now I'm picturing you listening to this music while playing and yelling "Oscar, you will not get away!" as you chase that 109 to the deck. :v:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

http://coub.com/view/4382q

now i just want to play GF with machine guns are implemented and spend entire rounds knocking every tree on the map over

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
GF sim is really the best mode BUT the rewards for it are awful. You lose money more often than not. Even in a good match and a win you get like 6k lions.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Szcwczuk posted:

GF sim is really the best mode BUT the rewards for it are awful. You lose money more often than not. Even in a good match and a win you get like 6k lions.

Rewards for any game mode on ground forces is poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ground forces remains awful because if you get uptiered, there is a very good chance your guns will not be able to penetrate anything at all. The Panzer 38T in T2 cannot do poo poo unless some other unlucky bastard gets uptiered.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ground forces remains awful because if you get uptiered, there is a very good chance your guns will not be able to penetrate anything at all. The Panzer 38T in T2 cannot do poo poo unless some other unlucky bastard gets uptiered.

Wrong/bad opinion spotted. The 38t is perfectly adept at its BR, once you get APC/APCR to put holes in T50/T34 turrets. The KV is basically the only thing you see that you can't kill reliably.

And you need to research it to get the Marder and Jpz38 anyway.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Avoid hetzer.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Wales Grey posted:

Wrong/bad opinion spotted. The 38t is perfectly adept at its BR, once you get APC/APCR to put holes in T50/T34 turrets. The KV is basically the only thing you see that you can't kill reliably.

:ssh:

to elaborate tanks should not be useless until you get an arbitrary upgrade, because that is Bad Gameplay, this extends to repairs/fire suppression as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

BBJoey posted:

:ssh:

to elaborate tanks should not be useless until you get an arbitrary upgrade, because that is Bad Gameplay, this extends to repairs/fire suppression as well.

Yeah, that's why I dumped WoT. It was obviously set up so that a bunch of people would just get fed up and buy the top cannons/tracks/turrets with gold. At least in this game, if a tank is too big, I can blow out the guy's gun and force him to eject.

e: Oh man, I just found out the SMK is coming. No more fascist box tanks for me.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 24, 2014

• Locked thread