Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Ah, the old "add additional tedious busywork to the mid-late game" school of Dominions design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Or just don't make sites actually generate gems: a spell that lets me create an Ancient Master to train my armies, a spell that creates an Adventure Ruin with a low success rate so I can send mans in to find wierd things, a spell that creates a site that I can use to summon spooky goasts with a death mage, a spell that creates a site that adds units to PD or recruitment etc etc.

Sites can do all sorts of fun things, generating gems is literally the least interesting of the things a site can do.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I think it's a good idea for a mod. Feel free to put your snide antipodean arse to work making something better if you want, though, Neruz.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I think the concept is a sound and good idea, I just don't think making the sites gemgens is a good idea because we had gemgens before and they were a bad idea.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Sure whatever.

Now here's another mod that uses the event system called Rainbow Recruitment. In a certain season (which their description states), your horrible rainbow pretender will spawn a mage if they're in the capital. Surprise: some of them are maybe slightly better than others, because I used preexisting mages instead of giving everyone an identikit X1 mage that took up precious unit slots.

Druids, the Great Enchantress who gens a pearl and the Maharishi get sacred ones, (Woodhenge Druid/Crystal Priestess Not Sorceress/Yogi), the Great Alchemist's is F1E1S1 but costs a small fortune in upkeep, the Bitch Queen's has shite research but a chance at N1D1, because it's a Wolf Tribe Shaman, and the Crone's is a Revenant with all that brings.

There are maybe a couple of national human-sized rainbows I missed, but then again maybe not.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

jBrereton posted:

There are maybe a couple of national human-sized rainbows I missed, but then again maybe not.
Lobster Archmage

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Archenteron posted:

Lobster Archmage
Nope he's in there, there were a bunch I didn't list but did do things for, he gets Azure Initiates.

The full list of ones I did:

Arch Druid
Bitch Queen
Great Enchantress (Pearlgenning)
Arch Mage (non-Draconic)
Master Enchanter (non-Draconic)
Great Warlock
Great Seer of the Deeps
Maharishi
Arch Mage (UW)
Great Sage
Arch Seraph
Great Sorceress (Celtic)
Freak Lord
Crone
Frost Father
Master Alchemist

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Can you make an UW-only site called the "Overwater Exploration Research Facility" that costs a bunch of water gems, but can be entered to produce an amulet of the fish every turn and allows limited recruitment of some amphibious dudes?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The guy that did nationgen made a mod that starts everyone off with the same generic nation (basic troops, a scout, a commander, a priest, and a capital-only mage that gets two random paths), and then puts level 0 and 1 sites everywhere that let you recruit actual troops/mages.

It is super hilarious to play.

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/cataclysm-12-identical-crappy-nations-and-awesome-magic-sites

Rotekian
Jan 1, 2013

goatface posted:

Can you make an UW-only site called the "Overwater Exploration Research Facility" that costs a bunch of water gems, but can be entered to produce an amulet of the fish every turn and allows limited recruitment of some amphibious dudes?

Entering sites summons creatures rather than creating items. A custom creature could come equipped with an amulet of the fish though.

Using events tied to a site can be problematic for item creation events. Unless there is a way to reference multiple things using #msg. I know #msg "[Overwater Exploration Research Facility][Amulet of the Fish]" wouldn't work.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hmm. Summons a unit that comes with an amulet of the fish, but the unit doesn't have water breathing and so drowns immediately?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

goatface posted:

Hmm. Summons a unit that comes with an amulet of the fish, but the unit doesn't have water breathing and so drowns immediately?

The amulet dies with him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Even if you have a lab there?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

just summon a 1hp fish with massive old age that can't move wearing the amulet/

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 22, 2014

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The guy that did nationgen made a mod that starts everyone off with the same generic nation (basic troops, a scout, a commander, a priest, and a capital-only mage that gets two random paths), and then puts level 0 and 1 sites everywhere that let you recruit actual troops/mages.

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/cataclysm-12-identical-crappy-nations-and-awesome-magic-sites

Somebody host a game with this mod, please.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
If you make it 2 hp you can give it the vampire stat that makes them take damage underwater and give it 1 turn to live. Or you could use firstshape to force it to transform into a shape without water breathing after 1 turn.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

just summon a 1hp fish with massive old age that can't move wearing the amulet/

Call it Fish of the Amulet.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Yes. Yes you could.

You could set up a specific standing order with the Events system that you could fulfil to give you an Amulet of the Fish, although we don't know the proper bitmasks for that yet because Edirr wasn't given totally accurate information, and limited recruitment of amphibious dudes is piss easy, that's just creating either a new thing or an existing unit with a #reclimit of a given number.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Yeah I've dicked around with this mod in single player and it is pretty drat hilarious, you never have any idea what you're going to find. You start out all weak and poo poo and suddenly run into a site that gives you jags or vanheres or those loving underwater Jomon dragon mages or Niefel giants. Can't imagine how chaotic it would be in multiplayer. Would love to see a LP game running this!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How are u posted:

Yeah I've dicked around with this mod in single player and it is pretty drat hilarious, you never have any idea what you're going to find. You start out all weak and poo poo and suddenly run into a site that gives you jags or vanheres or those loving underwater Jomon dragon mages or Niefel giants. Can't imagine how chaotic it would be in multiplayer. Would love to see a LP game running this!

For your information they are Ryujin and I suggest you study up on the lore of glorious Napan.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

How are u posted:

I played an MP game with that mod in dom 3, it was definitely entertaining. I think i ended up with sybils and pans. Very rng dependent to what you get, which isn't some people's thing. But the possibilities...

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Anyone has tips on LA Agartha's late game?

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

So, Xibalba.

I see a ton of Sacred units, so right off the bat (haha, bats) I feel like my default pretender build should be high Dom, a couple 9 blesses, and probably a dormant/imprisoned pretender. Plus any scales that help with Blood Magic.

Do I just play them the way I was playing TNN, trying to buy a ton of their tougher Sacred units, buffing them, and letting them run riot across the landscape? What's a good use for their flying units?

It seems the only way for them to Steal the Sun is to have a Pretender built for it. Thoughts on this? ( I mean, sure, could hope to start with D3, empower to D4, Skull Staff to D5, then Skullface to D6, but that's pricey)

Without a rainbow pretender, hunting for gems seems like it would suck rear end. Any thoughts on that, either?

Mile'ionaha fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 23, 2014

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
go hard scales and make infinity of the lovely chaff bats and roll everyone under thousands of bat corpses

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

jsoh posted:

go hard scales and make infinity of the lovely chaff bats and roll everyone under thousands of bat corpses

I feel like this would fall through when fighting someone like TNN or Ulm. Bats would just bounce off the armor.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

jsoh posted:

This works against Shinuyama i only know b/c a friend had some stuff happen in a game

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
What's your top pick for shittiest nation in the game and what's a cool way to play it?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
'Any underwater', and 'don't'.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

generally it's any underwater start nation barring maybe la rlyeh for the sole reason that its gimmick is interesting. funnily enough la atlantis graduates to a land nation which also makes it very strong and cool.

also, yeah, don't play them because you won't enjoy yourself

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Abyssia, and the 'feels awesome' way to play is actually the way they're designed: thick walls of heavy infantry in front of devils and fire evos.

Edit: try putting then against a nation that puts out a lot of lovely chaff and watch that wall of flaming dudes just go to town.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

What's your top pick for shittiest nation in the game and what's a cool way to play it?

EA Rlyeh's up there in near-impossible to win, but you can have a lot of fun trolling the land dwellers with remote attack spells.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I was playing EA R'lyeh in single player once and I kept gating endless Mind Lords with fish amulets (and crystal coins if they needed one to get 4S) into forward areas with full armies of Lobo/Shambler meatshields.

I don't know how effective it all was but it felt like Starship Troopers with giant brainfish as dropships.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
LA Pythium looks pretty terrible, and that seems to be a widely held opinion. They do have incredible path diversity but I'm not sure how you'd make use of it; their individual mages suck and they don't have any thugs that would benefit from a wide variety of forged items.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So how do you install a mod then for Dom4? I made a Mods folder in the game directory and placed all the files in there, but it isn't showing up in game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mile'ionaha posted:

So, Xibalba.

I see a ton of Sacred units, so right off the bat (haha, bats) I feel like my default pretender build should be high Dom, a couple 9 blesses, and probably a dormant/imprisoned pretender. Plus any scales that help with Blood Magic.

Do I just play them the way I was playing TNN, trying to buy a ton of their tougher Sacred units, buffing them, and letting them run riot across the landscape? What's a good use for their flying units?

jsoh posted:

I think something in the middle. You start doing big armies of chaff, and later when you have the research and the gem income (and blood) you transition to your blessed national summons, sun guides, and normal blood stuff.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Slaan posted:

So how do you install a mod then for Dom4? I made a Mods folder in the game directory and placed all the files in there, but it isn't showing up in game.

The game tools section on the main menu will have an option to open up where it stores maps and mods both labelled as such, its appdata on windows dont know mac/linux sorry.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

LordLeckie posted:

The game tools section on the main menu will have an option to open up where it stores maps and mods both labelled as such, its appdata on windows dont know mac/linux sorry.

Thanks. Why doesn't it store the mod information with the rest of the game? Oh well, it works now. :rolleye:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jabarto posted:

LA Pythium looks pretty terrible, and that seems to be a widely held opinion. They do have incredible path diversity but I'm not sure how you'd make use of it; their individual mages suck and they don't have any thugs that would benefit from a wide variety of forged items.

la pythium is leagues ahead of nearly every underwater nation

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

I think something in the middle. You start doing big armies of chaff, and later when you have the research and the gem income (and blood) you transition to your blessed national summons, sun guides, and normal blood stuff.
Never not Ozelotl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

la pythium is leagues ahead of nearly every underwater nation

:rimshot:

• Locked thread