Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

FrozenVent posted:

You can't burn shale gas in a truck. Getting crude to the refinery is a tiny tiny part of the cost of fuel at the pump, and I'm sure the west coast has plenty of refineries.

Energy products in many processes are substitutes for each other. A cheaper option shifts use to those resources.

There's a lot of explanations for a high COL, not just demand. I don't think it's really a great discussion because unless we can get a couple of energy economists, some tax experts and land development experts to ring in, it's just going to be lovely speculation. Yes, more people want to live in the Northwest than Iowa, as evidenced by their population differences, but that doesn't mean you can conclude that they have nicer people, for instance. That's just speculative, and potentially a self-defeating argument (if someone's an rear end about it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lol all cuz I linked a photo of Des Moines rofl.

All places have benefits. :) but I remain firmly convinced that loving in any major city making less than $75k a year is bad with money.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Just curious if the french foreign legion is still a good option for escaping your debts?

Even better, you can enlist under a assumed name, and if you're wounded in combat you automatically qualify for French citizenship under the "blood spilled for France" doctrine.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

xie posted:

Anyplace in the US is still expensive, what does it cost, $20-25k a year to live in Iowa? Sounds like you could move houses each year in another country for that much.
MMM gets by with 27k for a family of 3. Granted he has a paid off house and is pretty handy, but you could get by on like 10k or less if you're willing to live in a cheap area with roommates and just generally be very frugal.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Who the gently caress wants to retire and live with roommates, with no hope for future increases in income? And does that 27k include his rental property? While I like MMM most people are not in the position to just grab a super profitable rental property in a desirable area.

A paid off house is also a big deal, even $300 a month rent is 36% of your allotted 10k.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

I don't think your wife and child are really "roommates." Also MMM probably gets a lot of income off the blog now.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

xie posted:

Who the gently caress wants to retire and live with roommates, with no hope for future increases in income?
My point is that it's possible, not that it's a great idea for everyone. Obviously it'd only be a good idea if you really hate working and are ok with being frugal down to the bone ala ERE. I certainly wouldn't do it.

quote:

And does that 27k include his rental property?
IIRC the 27k is his expenses, not his income. His income has gone way up since his blog exploded in popularity.

quote:

While I like MMM most people are not in the position to just grab a super profitable rental property in a desirable area.
Sure. Although keep in mind what 'desirable area' means for being a landlord is drastically different from what it means in terms of where you may want to live personally. Usually it's the cheaper cost of living places that deliver decent returns on owning property.

quote:

A paid off house is also a big deal, even $300 a month rent is 36% of your allotted 10k.
For sure. Although keep in mind some parts of the country are VERY cheap. A guy on my facebook recently posted that he was renting out a 4 bedroom house in some phoenix suburb for $900/month. Split that with 3 roommates and you're only paying $225 for rent.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

I don't think your wife and child are really "roommates."
I never said they were?

quote:

Also MMM probably gets a lot of income off the blog now.
Sure, but I was talking about expenses, not income.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Gabriel Pope posted:

and the people are even nicer if anything.

Look how dumb you are. People from the Pacific nw are insufferable cunts and I'd rather deal with Bostonians.

Des Moines is a pretty cool places, as is Omaha and Iowa City. There are several pretty nice places in the Midwest. Still would rather live in Seattle though

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Y'all are loving tripping. I've travelled through Massachusettes, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania on business and I've come to the conclusion that gently caress NEW ENGLAND (i don't even care if they're not new england) is the right thinking man's correct opinion. poo poo towns (except for NYC), poo poo people, and overpriced alcohol.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
Nobody likes the east coast, not even people who live there. That's why they're such assholes, because they're stuck.

West coast best coast.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
So, my bad-with-money roommate recently informed me that he stopped taking his anti-depressants so he could trip on ecstasy. He's been rewatching Fear and Loathing over and over again, sometimes imitating the voice of Hunter S. Thompson. And of course, he's continued to buy more and more garbage--posters, big nice frames for the posters, a new duvet set, a chaise-lounge that he bought a week before our lease expires and that he'll have to move out of this house into his new apartment. I also heard him talking on the phone about buying more psychedelics.

All of this with the 401k savings that were supposed to go to a dental surgery.

I don't know if he's tripping right now, but:

The middle "w00t" and "watch out for dem bats" is from me. I thought he was joking?

And he's been standing outside smoking cigarettes, drinking and talking to himself in the Hunter S. Thompson voice.

I'm really glad I'm moving out at the end of the week...

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 24, 2014

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Is it bad with money to buy a car when I have a decently running one at the moment?

Thinking of buying a 4x4 to go out bush on holidays for ~10k.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

legsarerequired posted:

And he's been standing outside smoking cigarettes, drinking and talking to himself in the Hunter S. Thompson voice.

I'm really glad I'm moving out at the end of the week...

Aw poo poo. These situations aren't great to have to deal with. Taking lots of MDMA always has the depressive downside a few days later. At least with moving out you won't have to deal with the stress or tension from all this.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Grew up in the Midwest and I don't care how cheap it is to live there, there is a drat good reason it's so cheap to live there - there's no opportunity and no real reason to live there otherwise.

EDIT:

Bad with money: going to university in hopes of getting a good paying job, only to realize the major you picked has no employment prospects outside of aforementioned dirt-cheap Midwestern/Gulf Coast cities.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cultural Imperial posted:

Y'all are loving tripping. I've travelled through Massachusettes, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania on business and I've come to the conclusion that gently caress NEW ENGLAND (i don't even care if they're not new england) is the right thinking man's correct opinion. poo poo towns (except for NYC), poo poo people, and overpriced alcohol.

Hey hey hey, let's leave Pennsylvania out of the New England hate as it is not a part of New England. Does it suck? Yes, but it gets less snow. Being a Philadelphia fan is probably bad with money however (since they never win).

When I got out of college I lived in a lovely part of town and by splitting it my rent was like, $250-300 after expenses (this was in Nashville). That being said, I now make way more than what I made then so I don't have to go back to that lifestyle.

Nashville is also an example that there are areas of the country that are both good to love in with things to do, and pretty drat cheap to live in.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Suspicious Lump posted:

Is it bad with money to buy a car when I have a decently running one at the moment?

Thinking of buying a 4x4 to go out bush on holidays for ~10k.

Do you holiday 50% of the year? You could probably rent one for an entire month each year over the next 10 years and not spend 10k + taxes + maintenance.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

xie posted:

Do you holiday 50% of the year? You could probably rent one for an entire month each year over the next 10 years and not spend 10k + taxes + maintenance.

Yeah, rego alone is what, over $500 a year? If you get something little you can tow it and not register it (did Australia get the Suzuki Jimny/Samurai?), which would doubtless be cheaper to buy outright and in the longer run.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

xie posted:

No but I live in a small town that is surrounded by amazing wild life and the only way to get there is by 4x4. There's not much to do during the dry season in Darwin, all the cool stuff is camping/outdoors. During the dry it would be every second weekend + long weekends + annual leave.

Hiring a 4x4 is about 4.5k/month. Where the hell do you live where hiring a 4x4 for a whole month only costs you like a grand?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, rego alone is what, over $500 a year? If you get something little you can tow it and not register it (did Australia get the Suzuki Jimny/Samurai?), which would doubtless be cheaper to buy outright and in the longer run.
I was thinking about a Jimny. But how the gently caress do I tow a Jimny without a decent sized car? My current one is tiny little engine and either way this is a silly idea.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

You could rent a full size SUV for $1,500 a month by walking into a car rental place in the US and paying the sticker price (~50/day)... How would it cost $150/day to rent a 4x4?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

xie posted:

You could rent a full size SUV for $1,500 a month by walking into a car rental place in the US and paying the sticker price (~50/day)... How would it cost $150/day to rent a 4x4?

If you took it off road you would probably be breaking the terms of the rental agreement.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you took it off road you would probably be breaking the terms of the rental agreement.

I'm not saying you should rent an SUV, just that it was my frame of reference for pricing. If it's way off then it's way off :v:

Considering SUVs cost a lot more to buy, run, and insure, it seems like renting a 4x4 should be much cheaper. If it's seriously $4k a month then it seems a no brainer to buy, especially if you can sell it for even a few grand in a few years.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Hell, if you live in the US go find a private party used car magazine and look for a 1996-2000 Chevy K/G1500/2500 or GMC Sierra 4x4 for about 2000-3000. Make sure the body is decent and the 4WD works. Preferably around 125k miles and that there is no history of tranny or engine issues. Also check if it had regular maintenance. Electric actuators are superior to vacuum ones (google.)

Take it down to a suspension shop, get your ball joints replaced, as well as pitman arm and idler arm. Enjoy 3-8 years of 4WD for about 5-6k.

Wickerman fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 24, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Wickerman posted:

Hell, if you live in the US go find a private party used car magazine and look for a 1996-2000 Chevy K/G1500/2500 or GMC Sierra 4x4 for about 2000-3000. Make sure the body is decent and the 4WD works. Preferably around 125k miles and that there is no history of tranny or engine issues. Also check if it had regular maintenance. Electric actuators are superior to vacuum ones (google.)

Take it down to a suspension shop, get your ball joints replaced, as well as pitman arm and idler arm. Enjoy 3-8 years of 4WD for about 5-6k.

He lives in Australia, which you would know if you bothered to read or comprehend posts.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Old Fart posted:

Nobody likes the east coast, not even people who live there. That's why they're such assholes, because they're stuck.

West coast best coast.

Seattle was a close second to our choice of going back to Des Moines. Bad with money is paying ridiculous HOA fees in the NE as well.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

xie posted:

Full size SUVs are specialty vehicles, and usually cost more like $150-200/day. And that's just for one that is supposed to stay on paved roads and haul cargo or a crowd.

xie posted:

I'm not saying you should rent an SUV, just that it was my frame of reference for pricing. If it's way off then it's way off :v:

Considering SUVs cost a lot more to buy, run, and insure, it seems like renting a 4x4 should be much cheaper. If it's seriously $4k a month then it seems a no brainer to buy, especially if you can sell it for even a few grand in a few years.

When you rent a car, part of the understanding is that you'll bring it back in one piece, without major mechanical or structural damage. Then, the rental company can keep renting it, and sell it later. Their costs are lower, and they can offer you a lower rate.

When you take a 4x4 vehicle down a trail, part of the challenge and fun is that you're pushing it to its limits, and need to be careful and skilled to avoid breaking the vehicle just getting from point a to point b. This is why almost nobody rents specialty off-road vehicles, and anybody that does charges an absurd amount of money for the inevitable broken parts, total losses, and huge insurance premiums. Regular rental cars all carry an agreement that says you won't use the vehicle in high-risk situations like off-roading, racing, demolition derbies, and so forth. Even if you buy the "zero liability" damage waiver, it will only cover damage from normal on-road use.

Basically: off-roading (and racing) break cars, and rental companies know this. You can't do it cheaper by renting.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

There's no need to belabor the point, I was just under the assumption that in an area that needs/has a great use for them they could be rented cheaper and wanted to see if he had explored that option. *shrug*

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.

legsarerequired posted:

talking to himself in the Hunter S. Thompson voice.

Aw man, obviously it's impossible to tell just from a couple of text messages but it sounds like maybe your roommate is having some kind of psychosis.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

xie posted:

Except it's in Australia where everything to do with vehicles is alot more expensive.

I just looked up on the Hertz site, a Toyota Corolla is $76.06 AUD/day, an SUV is $125.

Also the real answer is to buy a trail bike instead of a 4x4.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Rudager posted:

Also the real answer is to buy a trail bike instead of a 4x4.

A bike can't tow one of these bad boys:

Yours for the low low price of $36,950

http://www.campertraileraustralia.com.au/campertrailer-reviews/1406/rhinomax-outback-warrior-rx-video-review/

Folly
May 26, 2010

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

A bike can't tow one of these bad boys:

If I remember my physics, this is just a matter of finding a sufficient gear ratio. :colbert:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Folly posted:

If I remember my physics, this is just a matter of finding a sufficient gear ratio. :colbert:

You're remembering half your physics, because if power remains the same, you add lots of time when you cut the gear ratio. As in, now the bike only goes 5MPH.

A mentor of mine used to say "give me enough time, and I can pull California into Oregon with a half horsepower motor."

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I decided to put one note into someone's p2p loan where they wanted to buy a Land Rover Discovery. I gather the "off road performance" is measured by this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-OxUuWUk9I

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

jaymeekae posted:

Aw man, obviously it's impossible to tell just from a couple of text messages but it sounds like maybe your roommate is having some kind of psychosis.

Yeah, I found out this morning that he actually walked into my other roommate's bedroom and spoke to her in character as Raoul Duke from Fear and Loathing. She was really creeped out and we've been talking about what to do today, since he also broke a floor vent while stumbling around. Thankfully we all move out at the end of the month.

She also revealed that he's been buying her unwanted gifts and pushing them on her after they arrive in the mail--blankets, beanbags, stuffed animals, mugs, etc. And she thinks he's already blown through this summer's 401k withdrawal, because he was asking her for money and now has taken a loan (possibly a 401k loan).

Folly
May 26, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

You're remembering half your physics, because if power remains the same, you add lots of time when you cut the gear ratio. As in, now the bike only goes 5MPH.

A mentor of mine used to say "give me enough time, and I can pull California into Oregon with a half horsepower motor."

I don't remember time being part of the prompt. After about a week of solid effort, he can fondly look back the few hundred yards to where he started and appreciate a job well done. Then he can go back.

legsarerequired posted:

Yeah, I found out this morning that he actually walked into my other roommate's bedroom and spoke to her in character as Raoul Duke from Fear and Loathing. She was really creeped out and we've been talking about what to do today, since he also broke a floor vent while stumbling around. Thankfully we all move out at the end of the month.

She also revealed that he's been buying her unwanted gifts and pushing them on her after they arrive in the mail--blankets, beanbags, stuffed animals, mugs, etc. And she thinks he's already blown through this summer's 401k withdrawal, because he was asking her for money and now has taken a loan (possibly a 401k loan).

Call his parents/next-of-kin/social worker/etc. This has moved beyond a bad-with-money issue and into a custodianship issue. Pass the buck.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Sorry folks, yes I live in Australia, Darwin where everything is more expensive plus more because it's Darwin (fuel is 1.55/L everyday and that's after a big price drop recently).

Haha I love these things, so loving expensive for what they are. For that much you could probably get a massive van/ute and redesign it in a massive way to get better results.

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.

Folly posted:

Call his parents/next-of-kin/social worker/etc. This has moved beyond a bad-with-money issue and into a custodianship issue. Pass the buck.

Please do this, legsarerequired. I know he is just your annoying roommate who makes lovely choices and will be out of your hair soon but it really seems like he is having a medical mental issue. Call someone from his family or close friends.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Suspicious Lump posted:

Sorry folks, yes I live in Australia, Darwin where everything is more expensive plus more because it's Darwin (fuel is 1.55/L everyday and that's after a big price drop recently).

Delica Is Always The Answer :colbert:

Without knowing your routine or commute this may be terrible advice, I'd personally consider selling the econobox, and buying a road-legal XR250 (or other cheapish dual sport) + a 4WD. With the 4x4 you're kind of duplicating the day to day functionality of the car (albeit with worse fuel economy), with a bike and a 4WD you get something that's fun as poo poo, can tackle single tracks, and the greater fuel economy can offset the extra petrol you burn daily driving the 4WD in the wet. I reliably got ~26km/l on my 92' XLR250. This assuming you don't hate fun/motorbikes, of course.

This isn't really saving you much (if any) money vs keeping the original car since I assume NT bike rego is like Tassie's (ie the same as a goddamn car for anything over 125cc), just food for thought.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

legsarerequired posted:

:ohdear:

Yeah, you guys may want to consider not staying there for a while.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I never actually considered that idea, I've been thinking about getting a bike anyway. I will seriously consider your food thought, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Welfare
Feb 12, 2009

Centrelink's Finest
Used to know a girl, dimbulb wiccan alt-weirdo.

Just checked her out on Facebook, and she quit her job, and now works at something called DrinkACT.

Ok, sounds alright, I'll just google that and-:

Ok; let's take a closer look.

:stare: A literal christing pyramid scheme.

I didn't even know they had made it to Australia.

• Locked thread