Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I remember that I had the idea once of seeing if letting defensive pagans also be templeholders like muslims would improve them any, as it would be a simple change that would boost them somewhat without being gamebreaking, but I've no idea how to mod it in.

This is actually really simple -- just go to common/religions/religions.txt and look for the religion of your choice, say, Romuva. Go in and in the part where it has things like female_temple_holders=no, and can_raid=yes, add this: can_hold_temples=yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

DrSunshine posted:

And yet I haven't had to use the "3 GB memory fix" workaround in order to keep the game from crashing in later years before India was added!

Did I say it took less memory? But 3GB Memory fix seems excessive, the memory usage at tops should be in the range of 1.6GB to 1.8GB in late game. Unless you are referring to the problems at release for people still using 32bit systems.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 24, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Haha, lol at the idea of the defensive pagans getting anything. The last thing they got was, what, that if they reform they also get a holy order?

Which doesn't change the fact that the only ones who even have a remote chance of reforming are Suomenski and sometimes Romuva, if they get lucky.

I just saw the AI reform slavic in my current game.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Groogy posted:

Did I say it took less memory? But 3GB Memory fix seems excessive, the memory usage at tops should be in the range of 1.6GB to 1.8GB in late game. Unless you are referring to the problems at release for people still using 32bit systems.

If you have a 64-bit system does CKII automatically account for that or do you have to do some technical mumbo-jumbo to get it running on 64 instead of 32?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

I just saw the AI reform slavic in my current game.

It happened once for me too in pre-charlamagne. Then they got scary real fast. Their holy order carved an independent kingdom for themselves in the bad parts of modern Ukraine, and was poised to become the Russians. The originator (what's his name "The Stranger"s son) was consolidating the Slavs and beating up the Norse. :magical:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Was looking for someone from Bran Stark to marry in my GOT game and man, the Reed's had pretty bad luck.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I remember that I had the idea once of seeing if letting defensive pagans also be templeholders like muslims would improve them any

This is something I did in pre-CM versions for all unreformed pagans, and it worked really well. I haven't tried it yet with CM, but I think as a tribal ruler you would still end up with a wrong holding penalty even if they are accepted via religion. Maybe take a look at one of Muslim tribal rulers to see if they get the wrong holding penalty.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'd appreciate your opinion on some of those laughably awful design decisions (because right now most of our current external feedback comes from the Paradox forums and, well, you know.). Aside from the map (because my map-fu is weak and the people that DO know how to map mod have no appetite to try and unwind those changes), constructive criticism is always welcome, and I can pitch changes to the rest of the team or try and explain our reasoning.

I stopped playing for a while, but I more or less stopped when they started making really weird choices with the maps (something like one guy wanting 4 new provinces in Corsica/sardinia).

Honestly, though, it's been so long that I should load up the latest version and see if I still have the same complaints.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

If you have a 64-bit system does CKII automatically account for that or do you have to do some technical mumbo-jumbo to get it running on 64 instead of 32?

No CK2 is still 32bit but large address aware so it should be capable of addressing 4gb I think on 64bits. Though I think there were some issue on 32bit OS when we released India and if you had all the graphical DLC's in the entire game it would try to allocate more than what the OS could handle. (Unless you did the technical mumbo jumbo that DrSunshine talked about, but that should not be needed after patch 2.1.6, if it is I am gonna have some more sleepless nights)

Also yes, India does take up more memory, but the graphical DLC's stand for 40% of all memory usage right now(and the more you buy the more memory it will take)

Groogy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 24, 2014

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nckdictator posted:

Was looking for someone from Bran Stark to marry in my GOT game and man, the Reed's had pretty bad luck.

Noooooo the Blackfish died :(.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Groogy, how many people are still playing ck2 on XP? Have you guys considered making your next game 64 bit only?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Groogy posted:

Also yes, India does take up more memory, but the graphical DLC's stand for 40% of all memory usage right now(and the more you buy the more memory it will take)

This explains a lot.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

[WTB] "Unit pack" that makes all my units a HoI3 'chit' that has unit info on it, instead of an ugly sprite.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

SeaTard posted:

Groogy, how many people are still playing ck2 on XP? Have you guys considered making your next game 64 bit only?

If you looked at the technical support forum after RoI you would have seen it flooded with people who had XP and Vista 32 bit. I think there even was a 32 bit Windows 7 here and there, I didn't even know Win7 had 32bit version. Also it would be really lovely act to them if we just suddenly "Screw you guys, after 2 years patching we are going to give you patches that makes the game unplayable for you for all future".

Which is why I said, if DrSunshine has problems and need the 3 GB fix for 32 bit I want to know so I can fix it.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Honestly your biggest problems are the hardest to solve. Some quick wins however would be;

1) A proper push on fixing up the stupid bugs that have been sitting around for ages (this combined with your new (semi?)open beta policy would probably make a lot of people happy). Especially when it comes to those civilisations around the edges of Europe.

2) A touch less, "gently caress you" on the player. I'm thinking about things like gavelkind and tribal reformation. Maybe have a setting to flip between casual game where these things are easily bypassed and hardcore game where it isn't or by implementing some of the many good suggestions that are floating around. Speaking of gavelkind especially, I think everyone is happy with realm splitting, I'd personally love to have a game where I didn't move out of it. But the way its implemented has moved away from fair and equitable split of land into gently caress you player your guy gets the worst.

As an aside maybe another succession type that is gavelkind where you can make a will\designate who gets what with major penalties or even better choices if you screw some of your kids over.

I'd wager very few people play this game for a straight up challenging experience since you can break if over your knee with ease if thats what you want. I'd also wager that everyone has done that once and then never again cause its a dull way to play.

3) I don't want to sound like a dick but do you play\observe a good amount of games before each release? I mean things like the ai rarely forming the HRE, the muslims being super powered and so the abbasids never break up and go on and eat the whole world. They are really obvious (and huge impacts on the game) and make it seem like its either intended or not been played a lot in house. Its fair enough to miss say, rumanov faith's missing temples, its an annoying bug but sure, I can see no one having tried to reform that tiny faith during testing and so it slipping through, but era defining empires would surely be noticed?

4) Also a massive events DLC. With lots of flavour stuff and more actual choices. Like option a) Good thing and bad thing b) different good thing different bad thing c) stat based small good thing but no bad thing. They are always good. Event chains are cool as well and history has a tonne of stuff to steal from.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 24, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Groogy posted:

If you looked at the technical support forum after RoI you would have seen it flooded with people who had XP and Vista 32 bit. I think there even was a 32 bit Windows 7 here and there, I didn't even know Win7 had 32bit version. Also it would be really lovely act to them if we just suddenly "Screw you guys, after 2 years patching we are going to give you patches that makes the game unplayable for you for all future".

Which is why I said, if DrSunshine has problems and need the 3 GB fix for 32 bit I want to know so I can fix it.

Yeah, I guess I would be surprised if you guys decided to cut off 32 bit support entirely. I was more curious if you had stats for what percentage of players were using still 32 bit OSes (I'm assuming that's one of the things reported by the info collection piece).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Sorry but I'm not taking Paradox seriously until they fix the zero decadence problem. Or even at least acknowledge that it's a problem.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Groogy posted:

Whenever I see someone claiming that India is the culprit I go give them a "confirmation biased" stamp in my head. The game has always on some machines gotten really slow after a few hundred years of play.

I wasn't complaining because of a dramatic drop in performance due to India - I just think it's a useless addition to the game. Nothing since the release of RoI has mitigated this feeling. India is its own game, running parallel to the "real" ckii. It's loving asinine.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

As an aside maybe another succession type that is gavelkind where you can make a will\designate who gets what with major penalties or even better choices if you screw some of your kids over.

Probably something it's too late to put in CKII, but I'd like gavelkind to have some sort of drag drop interface where you could divide the titles up manually between your kids, where each title was worth a different amount. If you didn't do it or didn't do semi-equitably, your kids could 'seize' titles on your death, which means they'd get them anyway, but you'd have no control over what they got (like now).

It could also play into traits, a ambitious or greedy character might demand more than their fair share and the reverse for a content one.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

When I want to bribe a bishop onto the College of Cardinals because I have a huge stack of cash and why not, am I being retarded and missing something or do I really have to just click my mouse over and over and over and over and over and over while the bribe money slooooooowly increases? Because sometimes it takes like 600 bucks to outbid those damned Italians and I actually have to read a book for a couple minutes while clicking my mouse to death.

I don't know what would be worse, to find out there's some obvious way to jack the pot up to 1500 or to find out there isn't and you really do have to do this.

Not that it really matters since getting guys on the College of Cardinals does fuckall but yeah.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

4) Also a massive events DLC. With lots of flavour stuff and more actual choices. Like option a) Good thing and bad thing b) different good thing different bad thing c) stat based small good thing but no bad thing. They are always good. Event chains are cool as well and history has a tonne of stuff to steal from.

Have you heard of the Way of Life DLC?

It's been discussed quite a bit in this very thread, actually.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sorry but I'm not taking Paradox seriously until they fix the zero decadence problem. Or even at least acknowledge that it's a problem.

In the very least we've acknowledged since long time ago... like since SoI was released that decadence was a problem and decadence today is nothing like it was when it was first introduced because we are still not satisfied ourselves and keep trying to improve it. You should have a look at the patch notes for 2.2.1 because it was changed there, hopefully for the better.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

3) I don't want to sound like a dick but do you play\observe a good amount of games before each release?

Well.... for some reason every time someone suggests that to me I feel rubbed really wrongly and insulted. Because for gently caress sake, I have almost 2 000 hours in CK2, 3 000 hours in EU3 and 1 000 hours in Eu4 which is from my free time playing with the game. But hey I'm sorry if my play-troughs don't represents 999 999 other players play-troughs. Obviously I don't play the game enough!

Edit: Though honestly, while people were complaining about Adventurers and similar stuff, I felt they were fine :/ Then we found the bug where it actually scaled on the wrong value, so I don't know. My values on the game are probably twisted from having played Paradox games since I could crawl. Should be happy that Doomdark is in charge of design and not me.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 25, 2014

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Groogy posted:

In the very least we've acknowledged since long time ago... like since SoI was released that decadence was a problem and decadence today is nothing like it was when it was first introduced because we are still not satisfied ourselves and keep trying to improve it. You should have a look at the patch notes for 2.2.1 because it was changed there, hopefully for the better.

Sorry, but no. This was discussed a few pages ago and met with general agreement--all AI Muslims still have 0 decadence always and therefore the Abassids/Seljuks (depending which start) very quickly snowball beyond all hope of control. Manually editing out the unduly gigantic morale and tax bonuses from having 0 decadence helps a little... but it would be better if Muslims actually had decadence. I honestly don't know how you could possibly have done extensive playtesting and not noticed this, which is why earlier in this thread I have taken what I view as the kinder interpretation, that you guys think it's working as intended. (Meaning you want AI Muslims to never have any decadence and the Abassids/Seljuks to always conquer the world.)

Edit: Which after reading your remark that you thought adventurers were fine makes me assume that must be the case.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 25, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Groogy posted:

It still feels kinda broken, though. Before, decadence was a horrible pain in the arse to manage, it was awful. But now, how it is, I never see any muslims get enough decadence to be a problem, ever.

I know from watching the AI and from my own recent muslim game. On this game, after the official patch, decadence was behaving very strangely. When I got a notification about a decadent family member, 9/10 times I would look for him on the religion tab and find nobody. The few times I did found somebody, the "straighten up" button was disabled ("already negociated", I though you had removed this?) but then I would just arrest him for free. In any case, I wont be getting any decadence. Also, I would get events to lose decadence all the time (it was already 0 most of the time), and very rarely any events to gain decadence.

And all that means that the muslims are all playing with bonuses to morale and income, all the time. And that's probably why they are so stable and unbeatable. And from what other people are telling here, this is happening in everyone's games.

I think decadence needs a complete overall to be fixed. Or maybe even remove it, replace it with something else, I dont know. It was never a good mechanic, IMHO. Maybe on the next DLC.

But for now, it would help if you remove, or at least decrease, those bonuses to morale and income, because right now is not difficult at all to be at 0 decadence or near all the time, so there's no sense in having a bonus for it, and it makes the muslims too strong.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 25, 2014

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Alright I'll make sure Decadence get a second look at, from what I understood it was supposed to be functioning with patch 2.2.1 again. Ah well.
My Zunbil game in 2.2.1 did show an Abbasid that collapsed while the Umayyads remained strong.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 25, 2014

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
I had a game recently where the Abbasids reached around 80 decadence, but it didn't seem to be too much of a problem for them. They were fighting off the typical small revolts just fine, and they curb stomped the Rise of the Shia event almost as soon as it fired (because that stack inexplicably split in half to siege two counties right next to the Abbasids' 20k army). I wonder if some of the problems with that blob aren't related to decadence mechanics but just to how strong it is at the CM start. I haven't really been keeping an eye on any of the smaller Muslim realms in my games.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

Alright I'll make sure Decadence get a second look at, from what I understood it was supposed to be functioning with patch 2.2.1 again. Ah well.
My Zunbil game in 2.2.1 did show an Abbasid that collapsed while the Umayyads remained strong.

For what its worth I think it is awesome that Paradox people like you post here and take input directly from us.

My group of friends' main gripe is that we feel like we can never play the game because we hate playing in patch-limbo after a major expansion. By the time the game gets fixed from the last one, a new release is right around the corner that will break the game again. It seems like a ton has been added but, aside from some stuff from SoA, nothing has been done to clean up the base game. The base game being "core gameplay". Also a lot of stuff being fixed because one person broke it and posted about it on the forums is pretty lame; most people play casually and are not trying to break the game. Make it so Ironman takes away all the fun stuff, let the rest of plebes have fun. Convince whomever is in charge to give the development team (I have no idea what you do) time to clean up the game before another major release. We hate having to rely on unpredictable mod-makers for CKII to be a good game again.

I dunno, my two cents on behalf of how my friends I and I feel about it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
my 2c is that I like this game and it's fun to play!!! hope this helps

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Eric the Mauve posted:

When I want to bribe a bishop onto the College of Cardinals because I have a huge stack of cash and why not, am I being retarded and missing something or do I really have to just click my mouse over and over and over and over and over and over while the bribe money slooooooowly increases?

Shift + left click and Ctrl + left click should do it in increments of 10 and 100 gold

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Groogy posted:

Well.... for some reason every time someone suggests that to me I feel rubbed really wrongly and insulted. Because for gently caress sake, I have almost 2 000 hours in CK2, 3 000 hours in EU3 and 1 000 hours in Eu4 which is from my free time playing with the game. But hey I'm sorry if my play-troughs don't represents 999 999 other players play-troughs. Obviously I don't play the game enough!

Edit: Though honestly, while people were complaining about Adventurers and similar stuff, I felt they were fine :/ Then we found the bug where it actually scaled on the wrong value, so I don't know. My values on the game are probably twisted from having played Paradox games since I could crawl. Should be happy that Doomdark is in charge of design and not me.

I 100% genuinely meant it when I said "don't mean to be a dick" sorry if it came off sarcastically. It's good to see you play your own games though.

A better way to put the point might have been along the lines of looking for a way of refining your pre-release play\balance testing as it seems something big is always slipping through. Either that or coming out and saying\polling "with the current game balance big thing X doesn't happen very often, do you want us to add mechanisms to force it?".

Or perhaps with said big things that run counter to game play do it like EU4 and have DHE that never happen to a player, or give a player a way to avoid it but make the AI really unlikely too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

aqu posted:

Shift + left click and Ctrl + left click should do it in increments of 10 and 100 gold

:monocle: Holy poo poo you just made my night.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

My group of friends' main gripe is that we feel like we can never play the game because we hate playing in patch-limbo after a major expansion. By the time the game gets fixed from the last one, a new release is right around the corner that will break the game again. It seems like a ton has been added but, aside from some stuff from SoA, nothing has been done to clean up the base game. The base game being "core gameplay". Also a lot of stuff being fixed because one person broke it and posted about it on the forums is pretty lame; most people play casually and are not trying to break the game. Make it so Ironman takes away all the fun stuff, let the rest of plebes have fun. Convince whomever is in charge to give the development team (I have no idea what you do) time to clean up the game before another major release. We hate having to rely on unpredictable mod-makers for CKII to be a good game again.

I'm excited about the potential the newly announced expansion presents, and here's why--it feels to me like the devs succumbed to feature creep at Rajas of India and it's been getting progressively worse since, adding new features and extended timestamps that only a smattering of people really want, not realizing that the game is so popular because of the diplomacy-and-intrigue core the game is built around. But that core hasn't really been further developed in a long time, and meanwhile we're getting... India, which no one cares about; a new timestamp and a bunch of scripted events for a game that is fundamentally about the player writing his own script; some new vassal management mechanics that don't really change anything significantly; some cool but kind of half baked new tribal mechanics; and various small adjustments intended to make conquest more difficult and are regarded by a lot of players as a nuisance. (Removing the Assassinate button being the most egregious example of a change made for no discernible reason other than "gently caress you, Player, that's why.")

I'm hoping that this next expansion will finally, finally, knock it off with expanding the map and moving the timestamp back and finally dig into enhancing the core mechanics that make this game so goddamn addictive.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So how come I can't ever transfer dukes to the kings they belong under? I can literally never transfer a duke to any other vassal right now and it's terrible because the little fuckers are eating up my vassal limit. I didn't make 10 vassal kings to deal with this poo poo!

awesmoe posted:

my 2c is that I like this game and it's fun to play!!! hope this helps

It does, and I agree completely. Whiners gonna whine, though.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Eric the Mauve posted:

the game is so popular because of the diplomacy-and-intrigue core the game is built around. ... (Removing the Assassinate button being the most egregious example of a change made for no discernible reason other than "gently caress you, Player, that's why.")

Removing the assassinate button actually seems like it's meant to push people more into the diplomacy-and-intrigue gameplay you want. I miss it as a convenience, but it was never really an engaging feature.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Which doesn't change the fact that the only ones who even have a remote chance of reforming are Suomenski and sometimes Romuva, if they get lucky.

In my current game the Slavic religion has reformed. I've also seen the AI reform Tengri.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I see Tengri reform all the bloody time. The Magyars charge in and take everywhere and boom, there they go.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Probad posted:

Removing the assassinate button actually seems like it's meant to push people more into the diplomacy-and-intrigue gameplay you want. I miss it as a convenience, but it was never really an engaging feature.

I don't miss it as much now that Adventurers scale properly. The only real change for me has been a push for Ultimogeniture in the early to mid-game as it is much easier to game than Primo without the ability to stab unsuitable heirs.

I guess it's part of the reason why the Muslims are so impossibly stable too but definitely not the main one by any means.

I'm anxious to see just HOW MUCH more likely Muslims are to become decadent in 2.2.1, but now that every dynasty member gets a free pass to imprison the takfir who refuse to straighten up....I'm not holding out too much hope.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Probad posted:

Yes, but did you notice how it didn't come along with any meaningful enhancement of that gameplay? I'm hoping with the new expansion/patches it'll get to where I don't miss the Assassinate button anymore. But removing it preemptively and leaving you with no way to assassinate anybody but to wait for years or decades for a plot to fire was pretty bad.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
In my current game the newly-reformed Slavs are proving to be the biggest challenge to my reformed Norse Scandanavia, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So I've been running one of my many observer games to see how the Muslim blobs are holding up in the latest patch.

Turns out they're not the most interesting thing that has been happening. No, I think it's the Franks going HAM all over the place, and Ragnarr's son isn't far behind with his attempt at forming Scandinavia. Still, the Abbasids are holding on, despite getting hosed up twice by the Franks. The Umayyads exploded, though - right after I took that map screenshot, a decadence revolt succeeded. Time will tell whether that means they actually exploded or just changed the name of the dude at the top.

• Locked thread